Skip to main content

Big Brother 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I gathered that it was something similar to what you were talking about earlier in this thread. I now understand what you mean't when you said it needs over the top characters for it to succeed and I agree that they are not essential but it would make the show better and more entertaining. For example, if you take an over the top character like Brigitte from BB08 and you take a not so out there character like Charne from BB2012, and you put them in the basement, it is obvious which one is going to make it more entertaining. I guess that goes for all facets of the Big Brother game though. Anyway we will see what happens but I still can not see Alex M doing a basement like twist for anything longer than say 3 weeks max.

I think maybe you are confused... The Battle/Basement is something that can easily be done with almost any type of HM, because over the long term it will begin to take a toll... It was more the Evil BB types of antics such as the "vote for me" twist that I talked about from BB6 or the Bedsit from BB5 that they'd get a much better reaction playing to the strengths of the more OTT types...

Other than the fact that seasons like BB08 that had too many, overly complicated gimmicks/twists essentially isolated many fans I can't see why they couldn't do a full blown Battle series... There are a group of people that are consistently pleading for the return of FNL and what better way to make the underlying concept more relevant to the show, and broaden its appeal... The concept behind The Battle is simple, aside from living arrangements the core elements of BB still remain relatively unchanged...I doubt the idea would scare fans off, in fact it would only help to grow their meager ratings by introducing a fun new element to a show that is still fairly stagnant... It's also adaptable to include elements that I believe Alex M seems to be interested in incorporating in to his era of BB over the long term, such as changes in nomination points/the superpower, and the idea of elevating particular HM's over the others which is evident in his use of The Captains Quarters... It's really just a matter of reworking so that they fit within the confines of this concept...

I believe that in actuality if he were to use this twist it would probably be fairly limited, however he'd be a complete idiot to not to at least attempt at making it last the full length of the series...

We'll see how quickly it disappears but the Basement is the first time BBUK has really incorporated the rich/poor divide concept into the actual game of the show. Usually it just starts a few weeks in, runs a couple of weeks and they never push it as far as they should. BB9 added a bit of a game play element with a Head of House who sometimes would choose the housemates in Heaven, while the HMs in Hell had to win the right to nominate.

I suspect we'll see a twist to the first nominations with the Basement - hopefully they flip it up so those in the basement are immune and those in the house up for eviction, but I suspect they're going to wait and see who ends up where come nomination time to decide that.

P.S. Probably should be cautious about discussing how it pans out in this thread - save that for the international forum so those folk keeping up to date with BBUK don't get accidently spoiled in this thread.

The Basement is one of the first things Channel 5 have done right with this show, and given the fact that the series only lasts 3 weeks I'm really not all that concerned with how long they keep it going for... That being said what I am looking for is for it to be reworked and used for a much longer period over the summer series as I suggested they do last year...

BTW this is a first not only for BBUK but for any English speaking BB... BBUS has their Have/Have Not, its similar but it doesn't go far enough to be directly comparable... Sadly comparisons to Survivor and the rigid HoH make it impossible for something like this to be fully incorporated into BBUS...

I hope bb 2013 will be more original rather than a rehash of tasks done in BBUK they were so predictable and boring
I doubt i'll bother watching if thats alex's plan this year
they need to spice it up and they need live cams if they want it to be sucessful its so limited without live cams
we only get a small amount of time viewing the HM's and they censor it heavily
I'm hoping this year they do better interviews when the hm's are evicted last year was hopeless
I'm thinking if alex doesn't listen to the viewers this will be BB's last year

I think maybe you are confused... The Battle/Basement is something that can easily be done with almost any type of HM, because over the long term it will begin to take a toll... It was more the Evil BB types of antics such as the "vote for me" twist that I talked about from BB6 or the Bedsit from BB5 that they'd get a much better reaction playing to the strengths of the more OTT types...

Other than the fact that seasons like BB08 that had too many, overly complicated gimmicks/twists essentially isolated many fans I can't see why they couldn't do a full blown Battle series... There are a group of people that are consistently pleading for the return of FNL and what better way to make the underlying concept more relevant to the show, and broaden its appeal... The concept behind The Battle is simple, aside from living arrangements the core elements of BB still remain relatively unchanged...I doubt the idea would scare fans off, in fact it would only help to grow their meager ratings by introducing a fun new element to a show that is still fairly stagnant... It's also adaptable to include elements that I believe Alex M seems to be interested in incorporating in to his era of BB over the long term, such as changes in nomination points/the superpower, and the idea of elevating particular HM's over the others which is evident in his use of The Captains Quarters... It's really just a matter of reworking so that they fit within the confines of this concept...

I believe that in actuality if he were to use this twist it would probably be fairly limited, however he'd be a complete idiot to not to at least attempt at making it last the full length of the series...
No I am not confused at all, after 3 weeks living in that basement, anybody would start to go crazy however I think most people would agree that some people would be more entertaining than others in that environment. For example, many people thought that Nobbi was perfect for the Kombi(me included) and the other housemates would not have been as entertaining if they were in that position. That is the only point I was making. I am not arguing with you at all I was just making a comment. A full blow battle series would actually be a good change up if it was done properly of course. I agree that if they go to far in the other direction though and it ends up like BB08 where there is to much interference with the housemates than it would not be so good. I believe that BB2013 would be a lot different to BB2012. BB2012 was an experimenting series and the aim was to give it a clean, fresh image in the public's eyes. I now think that in 2013 they will start to take some risks and add different elements to the format which I am looking forward to. Hopefully 1 of the changes include a more diverse bunch of housemates.

No I am not confused at all, after 3 weeks living in that basement, anybody would start to go crazy however I think most people would agree that some people would be more entertaining than others in that environment. For example, many people thought that Nobbi was perfect for the Kombi(me included) and the other housemates would not have been as entertaining if they were in that position. That is the only point I was making. I am not arguing with you at all I was just making a comment. A full blow battle series would actually be a good change up if it was done properly of course. I agree that if they go to far in the other direction though and it ends up like BB08 where there is to much interference with the housemates than it would not be so good. I believe that BB2013 would be a lot different to BB2012. BB2012 was an experimenting series and the aim was to give it a clean, fresh image in the public's eyes. I now think that in 2013 they will start to take some risks and add different elements to the format which I am looking forward to. Hopefully 1 of the changes include a more diverse bunch of housemates.

Please read up a little more on Big Brother: The Battle which is the concept "The Basement" twist is based on... I believe you are still a little confused as to how things work in the format... As I tried to imply in my previous post, when I was taking about characters in relation to twists I was NOT referring to The Basement/Battle...

The twist that came to mind when I first read Alex M's tweet was used in BBUK series 6... Which involved an "unlucky" 13th HM, who by being the first HM to enter the DR was automatically up for eviction... To avoid the public vote they needed to get the most nominations from their fellow HM's... This is the type of twist I was referring to in relation to "types" or HM's and how I'm not sure such a twist would work as well in Australia... Yet you continue to use my argument in relation to "The Basement"... Clearly not understanding the point I was trying to make...

I'll state again that this type of twist has NOTHING to do with the HM's personality... Their reactions are merely a byproduct of the twist itself... Naturally some housemates over-react and some will simply overcome the struggle, in turn adding to the storyline and giving viewers a greater insight into the HM's... I've said before that "the battle" is ultimately no different than the weekly shopping task/budget although slightly altered and evolved... It's really only there to move the storyline forward and is not really there to produce a specific desired outcome...

As a side note... I'm quite capable of identifying what your intentions are, so adding in lines like "I'm not trying to argue with you" are not necessary... I understood that... However the fact that you continued to push a point that you clearly did not understand even after I tried to clarify it, makes it incredibly difficult not to spit vile words back at you... I'm making an attempt not to, because when you grasp an idea I think you're capable of shedding some interesting insight... However take some time to do a little research (goggle other BB sites, look at Wikipedia, watch some YouTube clips) before you starting running your mouth... I'm not "arguing" with you either just because I've responded to your post... I was merely clarifying some points you clearly didn't understand...

Also long winded paragraphs are hard to read and a sure fire way to ensure I probably won't read or attempt a response to all your arguments... Try breaking your posts down in to small easy to read paragraphs...

they need to spice it up

Which is exactly why a full blown series based on this UK twist will actually benefit the series rather than hinder it as you suggest... Just because they've borrowed an idea does not mean it will be a complete rehash of the UK and it certainly doesn't mean they couldn't inject some of their own creativity in to it... As I type this response I can think of a number of ways "The Basement" twist could be "spiced" up so that it takes on a life of its own...

Also ultimately its the network calling the shots, in terms of the live feed it really is out of his hands... I'll say he should have fought harder but other than walking away from a job it's tough when the person paying the bill has already made up their mind...

Eviction interviews don't make or break the series and this is a source of contention the world over... The average viewer really doesn't give a shit... If you weren't happy last year I'm doubtful they will improve this year to a level you're going to be happy with, so I suggest you simply don't watch...

Most "fans" don't know their head from their ass and the bulk of viewers who contribute to the ratings could care less what's on the screen as long as it's BB... Alex M will continue to do what Alex wants to do and the bulk of viewers will love it... Also given the dribble many "fans" post on this site, on Facebook, and on Twitter I don't blame Alex for not wanting to listen...

When I came to this site in 2004 viewers were saying then that if things didn't start shaping up the following year would be the last... Yet Kris Noble stuck around to produce another 3 series and it was another 4 years before Channel 10 felt that they needed to pull the plug... As long as there is not a substantial drop in ratings (and just because you are unhappy does not mean there is a reason there would be) the show will continue...

I also just want to point out that one usually uses at least 1 period to end a sentence... Also one usually only uses the Enter key to start a new paragraph and certainly not in the middle of a sentence... The internet is not an excuse for poor grammar nor is it a reason to simply not give a shit... Posting is not a race, so take a second to look your stuff over before posting it... It gives people such as myself one less thing we can call you an idiot for...

Please read up a little more on Big Brother: The Battle which is the concept "The Basement" twist is based on... I believe you are still a little confused as to how things work in the format... As I tried to imply in my previous post, when I was taking about characters in relation to twists I was NOT referring to The Basement/Battle...

The twist that came to mind when I first read Alex M's tweet was used in BBUK series 6... Which involved an "unlucky" 13th HM, who by being the first HM to enter the DR was automatically up for eviction... To avoid the public vote they needed to get the most nominations from their fellow HM's... This is the type of twist I was referring to in relation to "types" or HM's and how I'm not sure such a twist would work as well in Australia... Yet you continue to use my argument in relation to "The Basement"... Clearly not understanding the point I was trying to make...

I'll state again that this type of twist has NOTHING to do with the HM's personality... Their reactions are merely a byproduct of the twist itself... Naturally some housemates over-react and some will simply overcome the struggle, in turn adding to the storyline and giving viewers a greater insight into the HM's... I've said before that "the battle" is ultimately no different than the weekly shopping task/budget although slightly altered and evolved... It's really only there to move the storyline forward and is not really there to produce a specific desired outcome...

As a side note... I'm quite capable of identifying what your intentions are, so adding in lines like "I'm not trying to argue with you" are not necessary... I understood that... However the fact that you continued to push a point that you clearly did not understand even after I tried to clarify it, makes it incredibly difficult not to spit vile words back at you... I'm making an attempt not to, because when you grasp an idea I think you're capable of shedding some interesting insight... However take some time to do a little research (goggle other BB sites, look at Wikipedia, watch some YouTube clips) before you starting running your mouth... I'm not "arguing" with you either just because I've responded to your post... I was merely clarifying some points you clearly didn't understand...

Also long winded paragraphs are hard to read and a sure fire way to ensure I probably won't read or attempt a response to all your arguments... Try breaking your posts down in to small easy to read paragraphs...
Fair enough, I probably did jump into a response before 100% breaking down your reply and therefore mis interpreted what season/twist you were referring to. It is easy to see how I got confused however especially when you take into account that I just read your response quickly and replied.

Yes I agree that that is the case and that is one of the reasons why I agree that it would be a good twist to implement into the Australian series. I am merely stating that I think some housemates would suit a scenario more than others(or not suit it and therefore making it funny). That doesn't mean that the twist doesn't define the characters and is interesting enough with how the housemates handle the situation, it is just my take on what I think would be good viewing as an added bonus. Now that I fully understand you I would like to apologise because I didn't mean to run my mouth at you however I took your continuous responses in the wrong manner because I thought I had understood your point and you were continuing to push it but that was not the case. I had not fully grasped what you were saying and you were explaining yourself which is more than fair.

By the way if you find it difficult to not spit vile words at a fellow forum user on a forum than you must have incredible difficulty in not doing it in real life. Just try to take a step back and take it from the others perspective like I have just done. No need to take this to seriously. At the end of the day we all post on this forum because we are fans of Big Brother and we like to discuss things. I have no problem with a bit of banter and arguments. In fact I relish it when people challenge my views. Throwing out nasty comments that don't achieve anything however I just think is rude and pointless.

The main reason I have struggled to understand you is because I have only recently got into BBUK(Last year) and my knowledge of Big Brother only exists within Big Brother Australia. I am slowly but surely discovering other versions of the show overseas(I have always known about them but when I say discovering, I mean researching and watching them). I have been going to wikipedia and youtube occasionally to find out bits and pieces that interest me and I definitely will do so on this.

Your last paragraph is a very valid point and trust me, nothing frustrates me more than when people post a massive chunk of writing without separating it into paragraphs so I do apologise for becoming guilty of this myself on this occasion. I usually do separate my posts into paragraphs but in this thread I have just rattled on with my points without even thinking.

Kingston - remember you're not the only one who knows a thing or two about Big Brother and how it works around the world, so don't let your arrogance get in the way of what you are contributing to a great discussion in this thread.

Some long posts to get through there but picking up on one thing - eviction interviews. I don't think they're as crucial now as they once were as we've kind of seen it all before so it's more just a formality now rather than the evictees revealing anything too insightful. I also think over the years with the character of Big Brother becoming less formal and producers knowing how to push the right buttons they've managed to get more info out of HMs in the diary room as the series goes on, hence we know more about what they were thinking before they get chucked out - it's only when there are very specific areas worth discussing the interviews really need to be of any length. Watching online rather than on TV I think I more often than not skipped the interviews in eviction shows this year other than the first couple - and even then I was more interested to see how Sonia was handling them than the evictee.

And I've always felt Australia could handle a full blown Battle series. You've never really done the Rich/Poor divide beyond it being a one week task in BB4 and the half arsed Master/Servants task which cropped up too many times. However it's done (a few weeks - at least 4 - or all series) it's a proven twist which would work for BB Australia - and though you've never really explicitly done the rich/poor twist, you have already done the best variation of the twist with the two houses back in 2003. Christ, that's a decade ago!

Last edited:
So CBB UK Ended the basement after 2 days.... :( Guess we will see it here,ad its quick!

I'm certain that the twist ended because of the length of the Celebrity series, I'm sure had this been a regular series it would have run much longer... I'm sure if Alex M was interested in this twist he'd want to milk it more than just a couple of days... For instance the Secrets twist ran for the first two weeks... I'm certain had HM's not caught on to House 2 as quickly as they did they would have milked that for much longer...

I like this comment very much brekkie he does come across as very arrogant in his posts at times
not all of us are computer experts i'm probably twice his age
Simple fact is if he finds my posts not to his liking he can ignore them or put me on block i will not change to suit one predantic forum member

Kingston - remember you're not the only one who knows a thing or two about Big Brother and how it works around the world, so don't let your arrogance get in the way of what you are contributing to a great discussion in this thread.

So CBB UK Ended the basement after 2 days.... :( Guess we will see it here,ad its quick!

Do you think he would of kept it longer if it wasnt for Paula's little "episode"

I like this comment very much brekkie he does come across as very arrogant in his posts at times
not all of us are computer experts i'm probably twice his age
Simple fact is if he finds my posts not to his liking he can ignore them or put me on block i will not change to suit one predantic forum member

Thanks Mick, I'm not sure why you've chosen to hijack the forum again with your sad attempts to puff your chest out... So I'll take a few brief moments to respond, only because it's the polite thing to do... ;)

Credit where it's due... However the more you present yourself as a moron the more I'll point it out... Everyone eventually learns that it's much easier to either listen, or simply keep it shut... You're weak, so it won't be long...

Just in case my words were lost, here's a picture that I'm sure you'll enjoy...
400492_10151218939094359_433788989_n.jpg

Now back on topic...

Last edited:
Do you think he would of kept it longer if it wasnt for Paula's little "episode"

Doubtful... Twists in the Celebrity series rarely survive more than a few days... Paula's incident was due to a prior condition and likely had very little to do with the ending of the twist...

Last edited:
That could be said about you too, K. You used the term "different than" earlier, which is grammatically incorrect. I'll let the readers here make their own judgment about your intelligence.

Here's a saying for you: "People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

No one is ever perfect, however I've shown I'm far better at stringing two words together than several other members... Also the expression "different than" is grammatically correct although it is more commonly used in American English which is a dialect I'm most familiar with...

I don't really care what happens in 2013, I'm just happy it's coming back and 2012 didn't become a one-off dismal failure that made them regret they ever brought it back!

I don't really care what happens in 2013, I'm just happy it's coming back and 2012 didn't become a one-off dismal failure that made them regret they ever brought it back!

I guess the only things I'm really hoping they reconsider is the live feed... While they showed it wasn't vital to BB's success, it still makes the series a lot more engaging... They could put it on an hour delay to cut out any offending content and I'm certain that most fans wouldn't care... Anything else we are discussing in this thread is really just a pipe dream...

For crying out loud people we are on a forum, not writing a damn thesis. Get over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back