Skip to main content

Big Brother 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goon

Posted on Alex M Twitter account, just after midnight last night marking the start of 2013.

Alex Mavroidakis ‏@AlexMavroidakis

Big Brother 2013 - lucky for Australia . . . but unlucky for some? #BBAU

Is this a hint of what 2013 BB has instore for some unlucky Housemates ??

Posted on Alex M Twitter account, just after midnight last night marking the start of 2013.

Alex Mavroidakis ‏@AlexMavroidakis

Big Brother 2013 - lucky for Australia . . . but unlucky for some? #BBAU

Is this a hint of what 2013 BB has instore for some unlucky Housemates ??

It's pretty much a non-game changer... BBUK has done variations in one forum other another... I suspect any twist they use will go no later than the 1st or 2nd week at most...

Sadly I agree - we've all seen enough meaningless slogans and promises of getting tough etc. thrown around in recent years but BB seems to have gone past the stage where it truly innovates the format and basically settled on a sanitised version of the original format which doesn't deviate too far from the norm. And with the exception of the two house twist BB Aus didn't really do a big twist in it's original era, so doubt they'll do one now.

I often think they have such low opinions of the housemates, they live in some fantasy where they can fool them easily. Then it never pans out and the show goes on default.

I mean when has anything every worked out?

I often think they have such low opinions of the housemates, they live in some fantasy where they can fool them easily. Then it never pans out and the show goes on default.

I mean when has anything every worked out?

I think it's less about the producers having low opinions of the HM's and more of a low opinion of those who watch the show... It's obvious that Alex M interacting with people on twitter and even BBBA is all smoke and mirrors... Alex is just as bad as the likes of Kris Noble... We are all just backseat producers who don't like anything and think we have all the answers and at the end of the day they only care about ratings...

Actually I think they do a good job on twitter and facebook, I was impressed about the amount of traffic they received while the show was in full swing. Alex is just doing what Executive Producers of shows do, drum up support. I think any special twists are for the new viewers and not us die hards of the show :)

I am just happy its back and enjoyed commenting this year on the forum even if my fav didn't win :p

Actually I think they do a good job on twitter and facebook, I was impressed about the amount of traffic they received while the show was in full swing. Alex is just doing what Executive Producers of shows do, drum up support. I think any special twists are for the new viewers and not us die hards of the show :)

I am just happy its back and enjoyed commenting this year on the forum even if my fav didn't win :p

You're right he's on there because it's the cool thing to do... But he still has just as much contempt for the viewers as some of the other EP's... I'm not trying to say they did a bad job with the FB page or any of their other direct marketing/social network outlets but it is next to impossible to actually get in there and interact... I mean twitter is a little easier but even then it has it's own limitations... Also don't get me wrong I'm glad it's back as well as it's nice always nice to see another English language perspective on the format... Although I cant help but think that they could have done a much better job than they did...

Ooooh cryptic!

Now that I've thought about it... The possibilities are pretty endless, however given what we saw last year I'm thinking the reality will be exactly as I said above; an opening night twist playing out over the first or second week... Now on the other hand I'm actually really hoping it will be something game-changing... Such as a new take on the two house twist that involves HM's battling to live in luxury or poverty... Or to tell you the truth anything simple and straight forward that moves the game outside of the traditional format... However as I tried to point out before this sounds a lot like the UK's Evil/Twisted Big Brother used for BB5/6/7, which I think worked because of the OTT larger than life characters and tension, that I'm doubtful BBAU/Alex M will be able to recreate...

So in other words cryptic... but still fairly easy to see right through...

Now that I've thought about it... The possibilities are pretty endless, however given what we saw last year I'm thinking the reality will be exactly as I said above; an opening night twist playing out over the first or second week... Now on the other hand I'm actually really hoping it will be something game-changing... Such as a new take on the two house twist that involves HM's battling to live in luxury or poverty... Or to tell you the truth anything simple and straight forward that moves the game outside of the traditional format... However as I tried to point out before this sounds a lot like the UK's Evil/Twisted Big Brother used for BB5/6/7, which I think worked because of the OTT larger than life characters and tension, that I'm doubtful BBAU/Alex M will be able to recreate...

So in other words cryptic... but still fairly easy to see right through...
Could you please explain that UK's Evil/Twisted Big Brother in BB5/6/7 for me? What happened? If it does need large than life housemates for it to succeed, I doubt it will work in Australia. Not because larger than life people do not exist and audition for the show, but because Australian BB producers tend to not take risks and cast them which is unfortunate.

P.S. I personally don't think this will be the 2013 version of House 2. I think it will be replacing the secrets twist and there might be another twist that becomes part of a weekly task but doesn't actually affect the game itself similar to the House 2 in 2012. To be honest I am happy about this because I believe last year housemates like Josh, George and possibly even Charne were cast mainly because of their secret.

Could you please explain that UK's Evil/Twisted Big Brother in BB5/6/7 for me? What happened? If it does need large than life housemates for it to succeed, I doubt it will work in Australia. Not because larger than life people do not exist and audition for the show, but because Australian BB producers tend to not take risks and cast them which is unfortunate.

P.S. I personally don't think this will be the 2013 version of House 2. I think it will be replacing the secrets twist and there might be another twist that becomes part of a weekly task but doesn't actually affect the game itself similar to the House 2 in 2012. To be honest I am happy about this because I believe last year housemates like Josh, George and possibly even Charne were cast mainly because of their secret.

Wikipedia and then YouTube...

I think we will see an Australian version of the "Basement", which has just been revealed in the launch of the UK's Celebrity Big Brother. Brian (CBB UK Host) said "CBB 2013 will be unlucky for some". Now, how similar is that to the tweet above???

I think we will see an Australian version of the "Basement", which has just been revealed in the launch of the UK's Celebrity Big Brother. Brian (CBB UK Host) said "CBB 2013 will be unlucky for some". Now, how similar is that to the tweet above???
Yeah I made a note to self that there is a high chance of this years Big Brother Australia being similar to one of the UK's versions this year and I am going to make an effort to watch them. I wasn't expecting something as directly similar as this though.

I actually like the idea of the basement in the UK and I would not mind seeing it here in Australia. If this is the twist that Alex M was talking about though or something similar, I unfortunately agree with Kingston that it will only be something that runs over the first couple of weeks of the show. I would love to be proven wrong though.

I actually like the idea of the basement in the UK and I would not mind seeing it here in Australia. If this is the twist that Alex M was talking about though or something similar, I unfortunately agree with Kingston that it will only be something that runs over the first couple of weeks of the show. I would love to be proven wrong though.

The idea of the basement is what I've been taking about for some time now... I'd be quiet happy if BBAU "stole" this idea from BBUK, however it's far from an original UK twist... As for what I was talking about before about BB5/6/7, I think those twists worked because they provoked OTT characters and played to their strengths... Take for instance BB6's opening night twist... BB called one HM to the diary room and gave them a secret mission, stating that by coming to the diary room that they were now up for nomination and that to avoid the first public vote they needed to gain the most nominations from their fellow HM's... Now I'm certain BB knew that Makosi would take the bait, and fight tooth and nail to get in there... The bedsit in BB5, was not intended to cause as much drama as it did however it was intended to cause drama, and I'm certain that had something like this happened with "regular" HM's it's effect would have been a lot more muted...

I like the Basement twist so far because it's less of a gimmick and more of an element added to the "game" to put people in different situations with different people. and if it plays out longer than a few days or weeks it becomes much more than just something intended to provoke a momentary reaction before quickly fading away...

We'll see how quickly it disappears but the Basement is the first time BBUK has really incorporated the rich/poor divide concept into the actual game of the show. Usually it just starts a few weeks in, runs a couple of weeks and they never push it as far as they should. BB9 added a bit of a game play element with a Head of House who sometimes would choose the housemates in Heaven, while the HMs in Hell had to win the right to nominate.

I suspect we'll see a twist to the first nominations with the Basement - hopefully they flip it up so those in the basement are immune and those in the house up for eviction, but I suspect they're going to wait and see who ends up where come nomination time to decide that.

P.S. Probably should be cautious about discussing how it pans out in this thread - save that for the international forum so those folk keeping up to date with BBUK don't get accidently spoiled in this thread.

The idea of the basement is what I've been taking about for some time now... I'd be quiet happy if BBAU "stole" this idea from BBUK, however it's far from an original UK twist... As for what I was talking about before about BB5/6/7, I think those twists worked because they provoked OTT characters and played to their strengths... Take for instance BB6's opening night twist... BB called one HM to the diary room and gave them a secret mission, stating that by coming to the diary room that they were now up for nomination and that to avoid the first public vote they needed to gain the most nominations from their fellow HM's... Now I'm certain BB knew that Makosi would take the bait, and fight tooth and nail to get in there... The bedsit in BB5, was not intended to cause as much drama as it did however it was intended to cause drama, and I'm certain that had something like this happened with "regular" HM's it's effect would have been a lot more muted...

I like the Basement twist so far because it's less of a gimmick and more of an element added to the "game" to put people in different situations with different people. and if it plays out longer than a few days or weeks it becomes much more than just something intended to provoke a momentary reaction before quickly fading away...
Yeah I gathered that it was something similar to what you were talking about earlier in this thread. I now understand what you mean't when you said it needs over the top characters for it to succeed and I agree that they are not essential but it would make the show better and more entertaining. For example, if you take an over the top character like Brigitte from BB08 and you take a not so out there character like Charne from BB2012, and you put them in the basement, it is obvious which one is going to make it more entertaining. I guess that goes for all facets of the Big Brother game though. Anyway we will see what happens but I still can not see Alex M doing a basement like twist for anything longer than say 3 weeks max.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back