Skip to main content

Ben Zabel recovering from overdose - Support for him

Tahan's response:

'I have reached out to Ben but like I said to him I know I can't say or do anything to help him.'
'I wish I could but this is something he needs to be strong about and fix on his own with the help of professionals but I did let him know I am there for him if he needs or needs me to do anything,' she said.

I don't know how I feel about this. When you're that down, you can't be strong. It annoys me when friends back away at moments like these and say leave it to the professionals. Friends and family are the most important thing. I'm not attacking tahan, just that particular response that many people routinely use when someone is mentally ill.
I think more should be done to support people with mental illness and not just from a medical and psychological avenues.

Oh Ben - and you gave us so much, when it must have been bloody hard.

Channel 9 make me sick.
What happened to Ben's movie reviews, hu?
He was good, very appealing and honest - and you just USED him and then chucked him away, yeah some fucking family

Tahan's response:

'I have reached out to Ben but like I said to him I know I can't say or do anything to help him.'
'I wish I could but this is something he needs to be strong about and fix on his own with the help of professionals but I did let him know I am there for him if he needs or needs me to do anything,' she said.

I don't know how I feel about this. When you're that down, you can't be strong. It annoys me when friends back away at moments like these and say leave it to the professionals. Friends and family are the most important thing. I'm not attacking tahan, just that particular response that many people routinely use when someone is mentally ill.
I think more should be done to support people with mental illness and not just from a medical and psychological avenues.
I think it's because people are afraid mental illness is catching.

So sad.
I suffered post natal depression and when my son was 4 weeks old I stayed in a mental health ward for 6 days.
And again had a rough time when my mum passed away.

People that have not suffered depression really can never understand how horrible it is.

Mental Illness is disgusting. I wish him all the best

Tahan's response:

I think maybe Tahan just meant that as much as you would like to be there for a friend and 'fix' what ails them, when it comes to something like this all you can do is let them know that you're there for them. Sometimes nothing can make someone feel better and they just have to work through it. She's right that what he needs is the help of professionals and to try to be strong and get through. I don't think there was anything bad-meaning in what she said.

@Ellie Mae I do know what you mean though about some people thinking that it's catching. Not even intentionally sometimes. What people don't understand they're afraid of because a person's mental state cannot be rationally explained to people sometimes and that's scary.

What? Who thinks that mental illness is catching? Am I reading that correctly? Are you saying that there are people who think that metal illness is contagious?
Not really, sort of. It's more an exaggerated example. People sometimes react to those with mental illness as if it is catching. They avoid the person as much as possible. Because they are uncomfortable. Not because they can catch something. Hope that clarifies.

What? Who thinks that mental illness is catching? Am I reading that correctly? Are you saying that there are people who think that metal illness is contagious?

I hated Tahan in the house, but in honestly - she's probably not even close with Ben outside the house. What is she meant to do? She reached out to him which is a nice thing to do. Imagine if a work colleague of yours you weren't close with had this happen, are you going to force your way into their life and be their saviour? Of course not. Ben was my fave housemate and I find this news distressing, but I don't think you're being fair to Tahan whatsoever.

Not really, sort of. It's more an exaggerated example. People sometimes react to those with mental illness as if it is catching. They avoid the person as much as possible. Because they are uncomfortable. Not because they can catch something. Hope that clarifies.
Oh OK yeah I get what you mean :).... It's like it is too hard for them to know what to say or do around someone with mental illness.

I hated Tahan in the house, but in honestly - she's probably not even close with Ben outside the house. What is she meant to do? She reached out to him which is a nice thing to do. Imagine if a work colleague of yours you weren't close with had this happen, are you going to force your way into their life and be their saviour? Of course not. Ben was my fave housemate and I find this news distressing, but I don't think you're being fair to Tahan whatsoever.
Huh? I did not even start this thing on Tahan I was just asking @Ellie Mae for clarification on what she has meant by catching.... but I do agree with you that I have not seen Tahan interact that much with Ben since the show had finished.

Back