Skip to main content

Bedtime

Brekkie

Staff member
It seems to be baffling most of us Europeans that many people here are complaining about BB being on too late when it's on at 8.40pm, even us Brits who are probably in bed before our continental counterparts!

So I have to ask the question, what time do you all go to bed?

For me it's around 11.30pm-midnight on a worknight, to be up around 7.30am the next morning.

Lol. Before the kid I'd be the same as you, now I'm usually in bed before 9, but I do get two or three wake ups throughout the night.

That is just a poll BD, most people tend to exaggerate or underestimate or downright lie in polls.
Not many in a poll quite often.

And everywhere else we are being classified as one of the most overworked/long hours/not much sleep/ hardly any holidays - western nations.
And it is so weird - we used to have a reputation as a bit slack, and lots of holidays and sickies.
Not anymore, we have far fewer public holidays compared with other countries now, and work long hours.

Sealy did another poll that declared this -

A RECENT study on sleep habits has found Australia is a nation full of sleep-deprived people, with a whopping 96% of Aussies saying they are waking up tired due to modern technology, eating habits and exercise, lack of sleep.

Nobody I know gets to bed before midnight. But it also wouldn't surprise me if lots of families collapse as soon as it gets dark.

I get about 4-6 hours usually, I'm and insomniac so it varies.

I think the BB issue tho, what happens with me - it's just you forget, you sit down & watch, and fuck it's 10.30/11pm at the end,. and there was shit you meant to do.

Meant to add - viewers have a kind of RTV routine/habit, most of it is scheduled for 7.30pm.
So they have habits they have developed around viewing.

Problem with all that Block, then BB, - do you have dinner out of the way (yes)& all your chores done(no)?
So, it gets late when you have to turn around and get shit ready for tomorrow after BB.

http://www.sealysleepcensus.com.au/factsaboutsleep.php

"Did you know that Australians go to bed the earliest and sleep the longest. In a recent poll, nearly one-quarter of Australians said they go to bed by 10 p.m, and 31% said they average more than 9 hours of sleep every night. How early did you go to bed last night? "
I'll ignore kxk's counter argument completely just so I can call you the laziest nation on Earth! ;)

I guess us Brits finding it baffling that you lot complain about BB not finishing till 10pm is like when the Brits complain whenever BBUK is aired at 8pm. As you say your used to an early evening reality TV fix while BBUK has traditionally aired around 10pm.

It seems to be baffling most of us Europeans that many people here are complaining about BB being on too late when it's on at 8.40pm, even us Brits who are probably in bed before our continental counterparts!

So I have to ask the question, what time do you all go to bed?

For me it's around 11.30pm-midnight on a worknight, to be up around 7.30am the next morning.

If I am on day shift and need to be up by 5am, I go at 8pm.

I am like a 7 year old trapped inside a really hot female adult body.

I need 8 - 9 hours sleep to function.

I'll ignore kxk's counter argument completely just so I can call you the laziest nation on Earth! ;)

I guess us Brits finding it baffling that you lot complain about BB not finishing till 10pm is like when the Brits complain whenever BBUK is aired at 8pm. As you say your used to an early evening reality TV fix while BBUK has traditionally aired around 10pm.

I know it's just a poll @kxk but I would say it's fairly well backed up by the ratings boxes. Shows that start at 8:30pm have significantly lower viewers and post 9:30pm is basically skeleton viewers most nights. That's not just for reality shows that start that late, that's for every show.

In saying that, I know there's lies, damned lies and statistics. I don't hold firmly to polls. I don't even hold that firmly to ratings even though they say the 'science' of the sample means that they would be correct to within 2-3%.

I know plenty of people who are night owls, myself included but I also know lots who go to bed early.

I have a friend who has just moved to London and she has been telling me how she has struggled as she is usually in bed by 11pm -- but over there people 'meet up' for a drink or go out at 11pm mid week. I don't ever get invited anywhere at 11pm mid week. If I am out somewhere mid week and it gets to 11pm most people are saying how it is late and they need to go home to bed. Maybe my friends and I are just lame ?!? Haha.

Bed at 10.30 usually, later atm because I'm watching The Block and BB live, as opposed to recording and skipping ads which is my usual regime.

Usually crash at about 5am and get up at 2:00pm after groggily looking at crap on my phone for an hour. I work 3:30-11:30pm full time and watch BB at work. (Have tonight off though). It used to be awesome when BB up late was on.

At Home:
Normally decide it's bedtime at 10:45pm, get up to go at 11:00pm, get there at 11:30pm.

At Brothers/Uni:
Randomness. Usually between 11:30pm - 2:00am. - Not fun!

I was going to bed after 2am, but I recently managed to reel it back and now aim for 10pm most nights. Really all that keeps me up after 9:30pm is watching tv one way or another, or clicking about on the internet, which is not good for sleep or mood and can always be caught up on anyway. Better to finish the day with a relaxing drink and a good book or some music to chill out with.

I was going to bed after 2am, but I recently managed to reel it back and now aim for 10pm most nights. Really all that keeps me up after 9:30pm is watching tv one way or another, or clicking about on the internet, which is not good for sleep or mood and can always be caught up on anyway. Better to finish the day with a relaxing drink and a good book or some music to chill out with.

but i might be missing out on an important red alert!

If I am on a 0700 start I can be up any time from 0330 (doing facebook stuff mainly and just enjoying the morning or cooking meals for the week) and going to bed around 2000. More often than not I walk to work too so leave at 0500.
If I am coming home from a 2300 finish I might not get to bed until 0100-0130, depending on what I'm doing work wise the following day, and then I'll go to bed around midnight.
Because of the semi permament night shifts, I am less of a morning person and will often not go to bed until around 2300.
Ah, shift work.

Back