Skip to main content

BBB Members and Their Christmas Traditions

Yeah it is really nice, it's such a shame it is destined to go unwatered and undecorated. I think it has found a home though, so that's good.
It's got great branch distribution and is a lovely tree. Nice to know it has another good home to go to.

There's a soft drink here, especially for Christmas, called Kofola Skořice ('cough oh la score zhits sa'). Normal Kofola is a little bit like payless cola with a hint of sars, but this special Christmas variety is infused with cinnamon, so, it's a cinnamon flavoured soft drink.

Cinnamon scented burps.

On the bottle for some reason there is a terrifying razorback, and thus in my house it has become known as 'Cinni Piggy.'

'What do you want to drink?' 'Cinni Piggy, Cinni Piggy.'

The pig thing, as it turns out, is from a tradition in the nearby Krakonoš Mountains, where if you don't eat anything all day on the 24th, that night you will see a golden pig.

Well, this year as every year, we celebrate with an overladen tree of cheap and tawdry tack. We loves it!

10459053_10204267874670974_8284874273339709405_o.jpg

At least it smells good.

My mother made Christmas amazing for the whole family. Even after we'd grown up and left home we were expected to show for Christmas breakfast at 7am - ham eggs and mimosas - before Dad handing out the presents one at a time around the tree. With the little kids (grandkids) it was always amazing. We'd stay all day then head home with tired babies.

She died on Dec 13 1996 and it's never been the same.

Dad tried to hold it together but was never a sentimental man - and when he died 2.5 years later, and then on of my 2 sisters another 20 mths after that .. it was all over. My sole remaining sister and I don't get along and my extended family are scattered around the world/dead/elderly/busy with their own families. By that time, my kids were in their final years of highh school so we had small family Christmas till 2006. The last 8 years my daughters have been travelling opr spending Christmas with their partners' families.

Then in 2011 with the Brisbane floods we lost our tree and all the decos accumulated over the previous 20 years, most of which had real sentimental value.

This year my other half is in Scotland visiting his family (his Dad has rapidly progressing Alzheimers) and he won't be home till the 23rd. We'll have a quiet day of snacking on simple food, without presents or anything special.

Christmas makes me sad now, and writing all thi has made me start to cry :(

My mother made Christmas amazing for the whole family. Even after we'd grown up and left home we were expected to show for Christmas breakfast at 7am - ham eggs and mimosas - before Dad handing out the presents one at a time around the tree. With the little kids (grandkids) it was always amazing. We'd stay all day then head home with tired babies.

Dad tried to hold it together but was never a sentimental man - and when he died 2.5 years later, and then on of my 2 sisters another 20 mths after that .. it was all over. My sole remaining sister and I don't get along and my extended family are scattered around the world/dead/elderly/busy with their own families. By that time, my kids were in their final years of highh school so we had small family Christmas till 2006. The last 8 years my daughters have been travelling opr spending Christmas with their partners' families.

Then in 2011 with the Brisbane floods we lost our tree and all the decos accumulated over the previous 20 years, most of which had real sentimental value.

This year my other half is in Scotland visiting his family (his Dad has rapidly progressing Alzheimers) and he won't be home till the 23rd. We'll have a quiet day of snacking on simple food, without presents or anything special.

Big hugs and much love torifrog. I think that's the hardest part about growing up, loosing the magic & togetherness. It's never too late to start your own traditions. Do you have your mum's recipe for Mimosas? Might have to hang up some mistletoe & make sure your partner sees it & gives you a smooch for xmas when he gets home :)

:( I want to hug you xxx

It sounds like you had some wonderful Christmas memories. Even though the day isn't as wonderful for you anymore I hope you still enjoy yourselves. I love @el'coopo's idea of making some mimosas from your mother's recipe :) Great big hugs xx

*Hugs*. Christmas can be a very difficult time of the year for people - but it sounds like your mother created some beautiful memories for you xo

Thanks guys .. I really appreciate it. Christmas used to be my most favourite thing in the world. Even when my kids were little I'd wake up hours before them, so excited it was Christmas!

I really miss it - and hubby is really anti-social so things are very very different these days.

Maybe if and when my daughters have babies things will change - they are 26 and 28 and in no rush to reproduce, and that's okay. I guess it's just the way it is - and hopefully it's just for a while...

I liked your post, torifrog, as a gesture of support. I didn't really like it one bit! How truly sad for you. I will think of you on Christmas Day. xx

:(

This made me well up a little too. *hugs*

Days and threads like this make me so glad I found the internet, and this particular spot on it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Even if Christmas Day isn't magical for me, I feel very loved - and that is special and appreciated - today.

Christmas gifts!

Uggh.

I decided to surprise the kids with bikes, and over the last two months I have subtly worked out the bikes they want, so being a super effient person (I seriously am), two weeks ago I get to organising, I call Amart Sports only to find they are out of stock, and they kindly offer to organise a delivery of stock to the coast by Friday, Yay!

Amart called me Thursday, there is a problem, they only have one bike unYay! Very UnYay! They could not find the ladies bike in stock, it is completely sold out! UNYAY!! So I get on the net and locate a bike, not the colour I wanted, but at this point beggars can't be choosers. I call Rebel sports enquiring about the bike, and they have one in store, Yay! I decide if they have the other men's bike, I will cut Super Amart right out of the sale, I give the name of the bike and Yay! They have it, and I organise my partner to pick them up after work Thursday. Yay!

Yesterday I get home from work and I walk past the two boxes containing the bikes, and I notice the picture of the mans bike on the box is not the bike I ordered, unYay, very unYay. I call the store and I get told "I obviously made a mistake with the ordering...". I calmly explained that I did not make a mistake with the ordering, the salesperson obviously made a mistake with the order taking, which in essence is the most important part of any transaction, and if they didn't have the bike I ordered, that I would need to return the bike for a refund. They have no stock left, so it is back on the phone to Amart and thank Prisus, they still have the bike! So today we are off to fight the crowds returning and collecting bikes.

Tonight we have a date that involves wine, prawns,and the assembly of two bikes!

YAY!!!

Back