Skip to main content

BBB Members and Their Christmas Traditions

The protein is fine, we'd probably have chicken, ham, and prawns.
It was more the salad part. I'm not that imaginative when it comes to cooking lol.
I have a great potato salad recipe and I'm not working the couple of days leading up so I have time to prep.
We've had the Christmas lunch at my sister's the last few years because of her children's ages (she still has 3 under six years) and she follows my mum's lead and has the full on cooked lunch but I put my hand up this year so wanted to do something different.
I have to remember that just because I don't like something (mainly in the vegetable department) doesn't mean everyone doesn't like them lol
I used to bring coleslaw to Christmas, but have now found a new corn salad that is incredibly yum:
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons white sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon water
1 pinch salt and ground black pepper
1 (420 gm) can sweet corn, drained
1/2 cup chopped green capsicum
1/2 cup chopped red capsicum
1/3 cup chopped sweet onion
1 small tomato, chopped

Whisk together the first 5 ingredients and mix the rest together in ths dressing. Chill for at least 2 hours. It is GREAT!! Especially if the tomato is nice and ripe.

This serves about 4, so I usually double or triple it.

A Christmas tradition I don't like is all amazing, sugar coated treats coming into work. Christmas is turning into a two week binge :(
OMG!!! It's getting a bit ridiculous this year. I have eaten my (considerable) weight in fudge, rumballs, shortbreads, Cadbury's Favourites, etc etc etc.
We were getting a little nervous the other day because it looked like the sugar was running out. A bit like crack addicts anticipating a shortage. I will be so glad when this is over and i can return to my regularly scheduled starvation/ dieting.

We have been doing it for years too and collectively as a family before we open our own presents we reflect on the people we brought for, and gives us a big smile, its a lovely tradition :D xxx
I will share a Christmas secret.

For the first 8 years of my sons life, my St Vincent de Paul Christmas hamper made all the difference. Some years it literally made the difference between my son receiving nothing and something. Every year I used to line up for it, feeling both devastation and shame, as I waited for my turn to collect, then I would scuttle home, head down and defeated, swearing next year would be different. I remember vividly one year when my son was 6, and the neighbours children excitedly ran over to show off their Christmas wears, and the little girl Brooke looked at my son and said " is that all you got?!" And my son, missing the intent, happily said "yeah! Look at it all! LOOK AT IT ALL!! And it's all for me!!". My heart ached.

Every year since that time my situation and income has improved, my donation to St Vinnies has too.

I am hoping our donation this year helped fund a bike or two. Every child should feel the joy of receiving their very first brand new bike. I remember giving Milo his first brand new bike at 10, up until then he always had second hand bikes, and even though he thought it was from Santa, the look of joy and wonder on his face will stay with me forever.

14 years on, I am hoping to see a similar look when he and his partner come for Christmas dinner and find what Santa has left them.

image.jpg

OMG!!! It's getting a bit ridiculous this year. I have eaten my (considerable) weight in fudge, rumballs, shortbreads, Cadbury's Favourites, etc etc etc.
We were getting a little nervous the other day because it looked like the sugar was running out. A bit like crack addicts anticipating a shortage. I will be so glad when this is over and i can return to my regularly scheduled starvation/ dieting.
Haha it's out of control. I'm already over Christmas food.

Cadbury's favourites are the devil.

I'm okay if I don't have anything but if I start, then i can't stop haha.

For the first 8 years of my sons life, my St Vincent de Paul Christmas hamper made all the difference. Some years it literally made the difference between my son receiving nothing and something. Every year I used to line up for it, feeling both devastation and shame, as I waited for my turn to collect, then I would scuttle home, head down and defeated, swearing next year would be different. I remember vividly one year when my son was 6, and the neighbours children excitedly ran over to show off their Christmas wears, and the little girl Brooke looked at my son and said " is that all you got?!" And my son, missing the intent, happily said "yeah! Look at it all! LOOK AT IT ALL!! And it's all for me!!". My heart ached.

Every year since that time my situation and income has improved, my donation to St Vinnies has too.

I am hoping our donation this year helped fund a bike or two. Every child should feel the joy of receiving their very first brand new bike. I remember giving Milo his first brand new bike at 10, up until then he always had second hand bikes, and even though he thought it was from Santa, the look of joy and wonder on his face will stay with me forever.

14 years on, I am hoping to see a similar look when he and his partner come for Christmas dinner and find what Santa has left them.

View attachment 48168
That gave me tears. xo Your son has always been blessed.

That gave me tears. xo Your son has always been blessed.
Sadly for the first 3 years of his life he was cursed with a lying thieving heroin addicted mother.

His love and complete adoration saved me from me. He was the first person to ever love me unconditionally. He made me strive to do better.

He has been a beautiful child to raise. I swear the hospital gave me the wrong baby.

Sadly for the first 3 years of his life he was cursed with a lying thieving heroin addicted mother.

His love and complete adoration saved me from me. He was the first person to ever love me unconditionally. He made me strive to do better.

He has been a beautiful child to raise. I swear the hospital gave me the wrong baby.
In that case, no matter what you have been through with him, both are blessed.

God bless you and your son @Trala xo

Although I know it would have been painful for you to only be able to give him small gifts when he was young I'm sure it's raised a man that understands that the love behind the gift is the most important thing and he appreciates whatever he receives for the thought that was behind it.

Last edited:

View attachment 48168

Its so beautiful @Trala so nice to see how the community can help one another, and how much it is appreciated so beautiful xxx

I single handedly managed to turned this thread into a Christmas movie sob fest!

Back to laughter and joy!

Worst Christmas present you could ever give?

I'll go first.

Herpes.

I single handedly managed to turned this thread into a Christmas movie sob fest!

Back to laughter and joy!

Worst Christmas present you ever give?

I'll go first.

Herpes.
the gift that keeps on giving!

Reactions: Tee
Mine is a bucket and a sponge.... to clean my first car when i got my licences.... "practical" apparently

the gift that keeps on giving!
On about our second Christmas my partner bought me clothes.

Navy blue shorts, with a hot pink trim and a hot pink singlet with a navy blue trim. The shock on my face when I realised I not only had to pretend to like it, but wear the abomination was priceless.

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, the shorts made a whooooosh whooooosh sound due to the parachute type material they were made from.

Seriously, if you showed by partner 1000 diamond rings, and in that selection there was one ring I hated, that is the ring he would choose.

He is the worst present giver ever. Thankfully his skills in cunnilingus and the fact he has a super cute arse balances out the negatives.

On about our second Christmas my partner bought me clothes.

Navy blue shorts, with a hot pink trim and a hot pink singlet with a navy blue trim. The shock on my face when I realised I not only had to pretend to like it, but wear the abomination was priceless.

Just when you thought it couldn't get worse, the shorts made a whooooosh whooooosh sound due to the parachute type material they were made from.

Seriously, if you showed by partner 1000 diamond rings, and in that selection there was one ring I hated, that is the ring he would choose.

He is the worst present giver ever. Thankfully his skills in cunnilingus and the fact he has a super cute arse balances out the negatives.
He could give you a coupon book of cunnilingus for you to use at anytime you wish!

He could give you a coupon book of cunnilingus for you to use at anytime you wish!
We have been together long enough to know our strengths and weaknesses.

We have a rule. No presents. Just buy what ever you want, when ever you want.

I don't need a coupon book. He is a man, he would eat the damned thing all day long if I let him!

We have been together long enough to know our strengths and weaknesses.

We have a rule. No presents. Just buy what ever you want when ever you want.

I don't need a coupon book. He is a man, he would eat the damned thing all day long if I let him!

Let him!! Its not much dish, so I wouldn't know :p

Back