Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

BB04 Review:

The finale was dragged out for way too long. I’d even add that them evicting both of them to then announce the winner after again dragging the living fuck out of it. It was tiring to watch by the 70-80 minute mark. There was just a lot of filler that didn’t need to be there.
This was a hallmark of the times, that these days I think people have started to become a little bit more weary of also with the state of FTA network TV vs. access to VOD Streaming equation and COVID hampering full blown out performances and proceedings.

Awards shows have (sometimes) become much more streamlined in recent years, and some (live) Reality TV finales have cut right down on the recap upon recap and if theres a live vote during the show or leading up to it, they're not seemingly as desperate to try an squeeze as much $$$ and ratings share out of it as before by delaying the winner announcement to have its own special timeslot. Compare 2007 Finale to 2021 Finale for example.

Awards shows have (sometimes) become much more streamlined in recent years, and some (live) Reality TV finales have cut right down on the recap upon recap and if theres a live vote during the show or leading up to it, they're not seemingly as desperate to try an squeeze as much $$$ and ratings share out of it as before by delaying the winner announcement to have its own special timeslot. Compare 2007 Finale to 2021 Finale for example.
I have to agree. The 2021 finale went so quick They brought out the evictees and sped through them. Then the final 3 came through and had like a short interview with each of them. With a plea like a minute before voting closes, which I’m sorry that’s so laughable. Sonia announced the winner and boom finish. I’m like… oh um that’s it? Literally finished before 9pm my time.

Oh yeah this seems familiar with the lockers now. Not exactly anything significant or noteworthy, probably didn’t even needed to be included in the launch. Nor did majority of anything need to feature in the series.

Oh yeah this seems familiar with the lockers now. Not exactly anything significant or noteworthy, probably didn’t even needed to be included in the launch. Nor did majority of anything need to feature in the series.
One thing I found really stupid was when Big Brother hid a clue to the location of the prize money in a giant sand pit that they had to dig up, and they then had to cut open the diary room chair to locate the money bricks. This was such a stupid bloated segment in the show that was so unnecessary and ate up way too much airtime.

Then there was the whole handing over their share of the prize money to the next person of their choice which was all pointless because the winner got the full $250,000. An idea I have always wanted to see is a potential prize of around $1,000,000 divided amongst the housemates, lets say $12,500 for each of 16 housemates, and each evictee would have to pass it on to another until the final three. From there what ever share the finalist had accumulated is what they would win if they did win the show. I'd like to see different prize amounts that individual housemates either earn or accumulate rather than a group number.

Maybe it will be fun to feel like I'm being spoken to by a kindergarten teacher again? Nah I can't even type that without cringing. A whole 3 series of "woooooooo what an audience" with a cringe forced smile.
The flashbacks I’m having of her literally saying that😭✋. But no seriously, it got so manufactured by that time

One thing I found really stupid was when Big Brother hid a clue to the location of the prize money in a giant sand pit that they had to dig up, and they then had to cut open the diary room chair to locate the money bricks. This was such a stupid bloated segment in the show that was so unnecessary and ate up way too much airtime.

Then there was the whole handing over their share of the prize money to the next person of their choice which was all pointless because the winner got the full $250,000. An idea I have always wanted to see is a potential prize of around $1,000,000 divided amongst the housemates, lets say $12,500 for each of 16 housemates, and each evictee would have to pass it on to another until the final three. From there what ever share the finalist had accumulated is what they would win if they did win the show. I'd like to see different prize amounts that individual housemates either earn or accumulate rather than a group number.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about that, it served absolutely zero purpose. Was it meant to create some kind of house tension or something? Truly pointless.

But yes I would agree that your idea sounds quite interesting, and would actually make a lasting impact. I did like in 2006 where each finalist would have won a different amount based on deducting their fines from the pool.

Oh yeah I totally forgot about that, it served absolutely zero purpose. Was it meant to create some kind of house tension or something? Truly pointless.

But yes I would agree that your idea sounds quite interesting, and would actually make a lasting impact. I did like in 2006 where each finalist would have won a different amount based on deducting their fines from the pool.
I liked the 2006 format too. It made the final Friday night live make more sense to make individual as well. I once thought what if the three finalists shared the prize money depending on their % of the vote, i.e 50% gives the winner 50% of the prize fund. I would like to see more done to impact the prize money in an individual way, not so much just winning a task for the group.

IDK if anyone actually watched Biggest Loser back in the day but they always had some really bizarre and fun twists. One I loved was the double and nothing bracelets. One contestant would wear each and if they won holding the specific bracelet it would impact the money they took home. If the winner was wearer of the double bracelet they'd win double the money, and the nothing bracelet meant you'd win nothing.

So I'd like to see something that's not entirely satisfying to all housemates but that is also impossible to argue isn't fair.

So with a cupboard of "treasured possessions" never seen again and lockers with false backs were producers just on the rob that year?

Okay yep, after watching Pamela Anderson go into the house, I now say Big Brother deserved to be axed. The whole purpose of this is supposed to be about the housemates, if you need a celebrity figure to reel in viewers than that speaks so much of how poor the series itself is.

So with a cupboard of "treasured possessions" never seen again and lockers with false backs were producers just on the rob that year?
There was a lot wasted in the series. Jackie teased secret never before seen rooms were gonna be included in the show. The temptation window was used a couple times for tasks but was largely a waste of space, the strategy room was a complete waste of a room after the public nominations was abounded. The eviction room was only used for rewards and special shows afterwards and the "Bali" room (which used to be the farm yard and later rewards area in the Nine era) was also barely touched other than two occasions and then was used for Pamela Anderson.

Just shows that sometimes having the extra space to play with doesn't actually help the show. That farmyard/resort type area never really served much of a purpose during the Nine era either - they kind of used it because they had it rather than because it added anything.

Did they keep FNL for BB08?

Did they keep FNL for BB08?
Yep FNL was still there. Seeing Mike, Bree and Fitzy was the only thing that made it feel like Channel Ten Big Brother. The nominations twist for the winner was stupid and such a downgrade from the much improved 2007 one. The winner of FNL for 2008 would save someone from the nominations line-up just like the previous year, but much like the three point twist which ever person or people with the next highest points would replace them. The part I hate is that it didn't matter if after the save there was still three nominees remaining, there would still be a replacement needed. It caused Nobbi and Brigitte to leave prematurely. I would have preferred they just reused save and replace.

Yes - it was nonsense when the viewer vote always meant the person in 4th place (or 5th sometimes by the sounds of it) would be nominated automatically. I'm guessing the lines were open all week too rather than just after FNL - so either the winner would save themselves or automatically nominate themselves anyway.

An interesting way to do it might have been something like the "10 percent twist" where they added 10% to someones poll result. Actually did viewers vote to nominate or vote to save, or was it still a hybrid of them both?

Yes - it was nonsense when the viewer vote always meant the person in 4th place (or 5th sometimes by the sounds of it) would be nominated automatically. I'm guessing the lines were open all week too rather than just after FNL - so either the winner would save themselves or automatically nominate themselves anyway.

An interesting way to do it might have been something like the "10 percent twist" where they added 10% to someones poll result. Actually did viewers vote to nominate or vote to save, or was it still a hybrid of them both?
Yes, lines were open all week, from Sunday night to the next. After lines closed the three nominees were revealed and the FNL winner would save one of the bottom three (saving one was mandatory) and there was an occasion where the FNL winner was the fourth person on the list.

The viewers voted to save with the three least popular nominated for eviction. Every daily show featured the danger zone which was just a reveal of the current bottom five at the time. Mostly, the bottom five was quite consistent with one or two names there every day of the week and then the rest was a toss up between the same five or so others. Brigitte, Nobbi, Rory and Travis were constantly amongst those who were hardly in the bottom five during the week. The whole process changed after the fifth week and then voting reverted to vote to evict, another stupid decision which adds to the inconsistency of the series.

I like the idea of adding 10%, I also like what The Philippines version does (I am guessing this is how it works based on what I have read and seen online) and that is with the vote to save and evict format rather than using a net vote system they take the % away. For example if a housemate got 55% to evict and 33% to save their new total was 22% to evict.

I think it just goes to show how much the original plans had changed in response to the poor reception the series received. I can imagine Ten put heaps of pressure on production to come up with ideas to spice up the show both before and while the show was airing.

Back