Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Well look, rating guys is not my expertise so I will take everyone’s word on this one.

Yeah I will agree that Brigitte was the most worthy winner, I dare say her archetype would never win though. But it says a lot that there is absolutely no one else. I don’t know if a good cast could have saved this season but it’s definitely not the strongest cast. Too many stunts and too little substance.

Too many stunts and too little substance.
There isn't really any other way to describe the cast other than this. A lot of them are extremely cartoon like. It's the same thing of them all in every single daily show, I feel like I know nothing about them all. Most of the daily show also consists of the weekly task or silly charades from Big Brother. It's very un-Big Brothery.

Um, you're all forgetting about Cherry ;) Haha.

About the rose coloured glasses, when was it where they dressed up Terri as an 'Emo'.
Cherry's always been the one I've called the hottest. When I was 15 that was my type but as I got older I'm way more into guys who look like Rory. Cherry had a nicer bod though I guess, and not super keen on dreadlocks. Cherry at this point in the season was pretty boring and plain. His only contribution so far is DESPISING Rhianna.

Okay finally just finished my 2004 review and housemate thoughts. I’m just gonna preface by saying this did not need to be as long as I originally intended it to be. Apologising in advance lol.

BB04 Review:
If you told me where I would rank this season from all the others. I genuinely wouldn’t know where to put it. It did take me 24 days to watch this in its entirety. Mind you I had recently gone back to uni so I guess that would be a sort of set back. But really other than that a lot of the time it felt draggingly slow. Very much so in the first half. But at the same time it had such a memorable cast in retrospect. That being; Trevor, Bree, Paul, Ryan, Ashalea, Merlin. I can only assume that its agonising pace was from production wanting a ‘back to basics’ type of season. Which to me make absolutely no sense at all. Considering BB01 had the luxury of being the first season, BB02 felt like a basic season to begin with and then BB03 was like a complete step up from its predecessors. So in chronological order, it was just extremely redundant to have a ‘back to basics’ season when there was no reason for one in the first place. The only way I guess I could come to that conclusion would be because of the new production with Kris Noble. I mean I can definitely see how this would be the foundation set to then go further in later seasons. But I digress.

To simply put it… production was majorly messy for the whole season. For a season that felt in a number of ways regressive to its previous contenders, it also gave us some of the most memorable, iconic moments to ever grace not just BBAU, but Australian reality television. This season felt very much like a transitional period in time where the show was starting to really gain a tarnished reputation. I will go into further detail about the big moments of the season in my housemate thoughts, but basically ‘the fight’ between Merlin and Paul was a huge spur of controversy. Not because of the actual fight, but more so the context of it which doesn’t have consequential connections to the infamous Merlin eviction protest. But at the same time from a public perspective it can be taken as a stepping stone into what would later eventuate. Speaking of the eviction protest, I understand the impact that Merlin wanted to make but did it go the way he might’ve intended? Probably not, I just know production were absolutely having a field day with the ‘scandalous’ behaviour which in retrospect was looked at only for the action and not the message Merlin was trying to convey.

Another moment was the Bree eviction. Was that the fault of Legion Interactive? Of course it was, but as said in the ACA interview in 2011. Bree was right. She could’ve absolutely sued the whole show itself and it almost leads me to believe that they forced her to go back in even though she had stated that she was more than happy with the fact that she was ‘evicted’. Mind you, the percentage difference from Bree’s eviction and then the recount was so drastic. I thought it was a mistake only on Bree’s line not literally all of them. I must say Gretel is fucking fantastically skilled at her job. I truly mean that. The most she did was scold about the boys constantly nominating the girls all the time. However, she did become more assertive with audience especially with the Merlin eviction. It did remind me of teachers in high school lmao. She of course had to go off script during the Merlin eviction and the eviction blackout, she just did that so exceptionally well. She filled any and all gaps of silence with humour or speaking on the prizes or even crossing live to the house. Also congrats to that Olivia girl who won the ‘Best Dressed Fan’ twice.

Out of all seasons so far, this crop of housemates seemed to have the easiest time nominating each other. We had; Krystal vs. Igor, Aphrodite vs. the house, Fitzy vs. half the girls, Terri vs. the girls. There was a lot of division amongst the housemates and very much a boys group and the girls… well getting upset at the guys (mostly Ryan). But the one thing that I noticed through all of this is that they became very one dimensional and even in Mike Goldman’s narration. The drama was hyped up for the sake of hyping up the drama when there was no need to. Just kind of let it play out as is. Aphrodite, Igor & Krystal were early boots that basically hogged all the drama in the house and I kinda knew they were gonna go early anyways. As big personalities tend to in past series.

Storylines do pick up around mid point and the drama typically centres around Paul and his pot-stirring, Ashalea being the brunt of jokes but also being an absolute legend and more Ryan making the girls upset. Writing this I feel like I’m trying to grasp at straws when it comes to in house dynamics. They bounced off each other well, but there weren’t any major plot points besides the things I’ve already mentioned. Well… until Miriam entered the house. I ended up watching a really detailed video essay on “There’s Something About Miriam” by Jordan Theresa and she goes into a deep explanation of how exploited Miriam was and how morally and ethically wrong production did her with the whole thing. Long story short, she was heavily exploited on an edited show for being a trans woman and then exploited on a live show… again for being trans. Quite literally 2 minutes of her being there and Ryan said “yeah… she’s a bloke”. Which started the onslaught of gossiping, the boys fighting over who was gonna ask her first after most of the house had one time or another referred to her as a ‘he’. It’s already bad enough that Miriam was put in a situation where she was surrounded by 6 stereotypical blokey men who they’d want to have an adverse reaction to finding out Miriam was trans. Then she was put in a house where most of the people made her feel extremely uncomfortable. The only people whom respected her the most were Paul and Ashalea, and to that I applaud them. I understand the ‘celebrity’ stunts production pulled, but this aged fucking abhorrently.

This season relied too heavily on the secret and I think that’s why it’s flopped a little bit overall. I do like the idea of only 1 or 2 people finding out about it and if others were to overhear or be told the secret, the holder would automatically be nominated until they’re evicted. But again production made it this big thing, then to have all housemates find out by the end of like # days or something. The intruders entered way too late and I understand the friction it would’ve caused considering it was just after they all found out about the million. But in hindsight, production flopped terribly with the way they executed it. Having an intruder eviction was so unnecessary on all accounts. Why couldn’t they just have another double but make it a surprise? Both intruders wouldn’t have lasted long anyways. Violeta was chaotic and been nominated the week she was eligible and Monica would’ve gone right or the week after. It did brood good tension between the girls and Monica wedging herself in between Bree & Fitzy to which was such a non-event. I don’t think Bree & Fitzy were going to be a thing anyways. After Ashalea left it really died in its tracks and was a slow ride to Trevor winning.

I found it so ironic how Gretel, Mike & all of production basically preached this whole “keep the ones you love and love to hate, get rid of the ones you don’t feel anything for”. Oh and how could I forget “we don’t want another boring winner again”. Just for Trevor to win, which no shade to the fact that he’s a great person. But it also just dismantles the message they were deliberately trying to grind into the audience. The finale was dragged out for way too long. I’d even add that them evicting both of them to then announce the winner after again dragging the living fuck out of it. It was tiring to watch by the 70-80 minute mark. There was just a lot of filler that didn’t need to be there. Overall, the cast was mainly one dimensional but half were extremely memorable at the same time. I do like the updated graphics and the quality of video was better than any previous seasons. That did satisfy my watch through. Production’s decisions seemed palpable on paper, but were so awfully executed. It was consequentially what dragged the season down the most. I don’t think this season exactly ages too well in 2022 standard, but it was great to witness some of the iconic moments and housemates that we all acknowledge.

BB04 Housemates:
Aphrodite
: Watching all these seasons back, there seems to be an almost prototype of who is first evicted. For the most part, Aphrodite falls into that. She’s loud, sometimes brash and can come across as ‘being too much’. I didn’t really mind her, at least she brought something to the table even if it garnered her a lot of distaste. By the second week she really settled in and honestly I would have rather her stay over Igor. Her infatuation with Merlin was semi interesting. Even though Terri was very much on the outside I think there would’ve been more brewing between her & Aphrodite.

Igor: He’s easily my least favourite housemate this series. His farting and gross nature wasn’t the big issue, even though the sound of phlegm and snot is a big no no for me. He became very self righteous, like he simultaneously owned the place. He preached ‘being himself’ whilst sucking up to Paul and trying to be B-Side version of him. He spoke about being respectful, but then make really terrible, insulting jokes about women. I’m glad Gretel subtly gave it to him about that lol. I knew he’d be someone who would be nominated. But I guess I never really thought about the amount of points he would receive. Its probably the only impressive thing.

Krystal: I personally liked Krystal, it’s unfortunate that she fell in the void of housemates that become early boots because they’re ‘too extroverted’. She’s level-headed and assertive and also was very aware of the experience heightening the emotions of people in the house. After her mention of being ‘Delta’, it was apparent that it would become a gimmick among the others and Gretel herself. Especially the boys as they would often joke about how big her boobs are. I thought she handled herself very well.

Elle: There’s not really much to say about Elle. She didn’t provide much other than be emotional whilst trying to be diplomatic about her emotions at the same time lol. I don’t think anyone else would be in contention to go when she got evicted. It was in fact around that week where Gretel starts drilling the speech of “keep who you love and love to hate, and get rid of the people you don’t care about”. That speech basically saved Paul by a smidgen. Well… I’m not fussed about her going, I don’t think she was gonna add anything more to the dynamics and come of it I’d rather lose a dud than someone who is slightly controversial.

Merlin: Before watching this series, I always saw Merlin as someone who was the moment. Purely speaking from his eviction. But actually sitting down and watching his progress… idk. He’s definitely not a terrible person and is generally likeable, but there were more times in which I just felt bad for him. It was clear as day he doesn’t fit into the ‘blokey’ stereotype that was I think every other guy in the house. His fight with Paul basically solidified any precursor thoughts I had about him. Now, this was a situation I never fully comprehended because I was a child and this came out when I was 2. I respect both sides of the argument. Merlin has every right to feel like he’s an Australian. I guess Paul was coming from the legal standpoint of… “you can’t call yourself as Australian as us if you’re not an Australian citizen”. They had very much had alcohol and got into an argument based on emotions vs. logic. Which doesn’t really go well.

It had stayed with Merlin as he nominated Paul for 2 weeks in a row in reasons regarding the incident and then a third for the watermelon task. Much like Christina (2001) in some ways he just floundered around the house looking for someone to stick to. That being Aphrodite, then Ashalea and sometimes Kane. He was like a tomato In a bowl of bananas, oranges, mangoes, strawberries etc… their a fruit but regarded as a vegetable.

His eviction protest… I will say good on him for giving us one of the most remembered moments in BBAU history. I think knowing Merlin as an activist, this I guess isn’t completely out of character. But it was still something I never thought would happen. It’s one of those moments where you have to appreciate Gretel, she handled the situation so sophisticatedly and it really shows how skilled she is as a host. His interview in the nominations show was a great closer to the whole debacle. It got the attraction producers with living for but I think with the message being about refugees. It was only recognised for the action and not the message and it’s something where on paper it seemed so amazing. But I’m retrospect, it’s something that might’ve cause more harm than good.

Terri: She was an underdog who I felt myself rooting for sometimes. I liked her and what she brought to the table. I thought it was impressive that she survived 5 nominations back to back. I believe not many people can do that. She was the main drama among the girls and quickly bonded with Paul based on them being the most polarising to the other housemates. I thought their friendship was endearing. Her last week in the house is what unraveled her. She had a sook about Paul, and then she relatively got along with the girls by this time. She went at the right time and think that she wouldn’t really add anything more after that. It just became a game of ‘how long can Terri the terminator last’?

Kane: I’m happy he went when he did. Because he was basically the most irrelevant and did nothing to add to the dynamic at this point. I for the most part found him annoying mainly due to him being a follower to the boys and not really being his own person. Given that I’m 4 seasons into my watch, I’ve seen my fair share of the younger ones always looking for the older housemates as admiration. But this felt so pretentious. He consistently nominated girls, randomly would insult them (example being; Ashalea). Mind you he then tried to “act like a man” by making out he had the balls to ask Miriam about her being trans. All round for someone who is the same age as him watching this, he’s quite immature and honestly reminds me of a lot of teenage, high school boys.

Violeta: Intruder evictions are an interesting ploy. I never really had an issue with them, mainly because the right person got evicted by the other housemates. Example being; Rachel (2001) & Nicole (2002). They were people who weren’t going to be much dynamic in the group anyways. I will say I’m glad they didn’t do it in 2003 with Jamie & Kim because they both added storylines in their own ways. However, this time it got under my skin. It felt pointless at this point in the game and actually made no sense. With the secret being out I thought them throwing in intruders was a great idea in retrospect of the original 8 being thrown off guard with someone possibly coming in to win the million dollar prize. Is this something rare… yes, but can it be done? Also yes. In reference to Isabelle from BBUK 2017.

To then throw one of them out, just seemed futile. And for what reason? That it was another twist. They should’ve let it play out and maybe throw another double in the mix. That would’ve been a better production decision. Am I saying all this in defence of Violeta and how she was robbed? Yes, but in a very minute manner. It wouldn’t have mattered much difference if Monica was to go. It was a terribly thought out plan.

Anyways, Violeta was an absolute firecracker. She probably would’ve been in the same boat as Kim in terms of lasting until the week of being nominated. But nonetheless, she provided entertainment. She went from antagonising Bree & Ashalea to trying order the house in what they should do. I liked that she was who she said she was going to be in the house. I guess you can never really tell, but still I think the intruder eviction was not needed and think she would’ve made a bigger impact had she stayed.

Wesley: Out of all the other housemates nominated when Bree got thrown back in, he was the one that felt right to go. He overall didn’t add too much dynamic, he was the diplomat of the group and I think with the show’s extensive history of crowning inconsequential men, he would’ve been another addition to that list. His first moment of visibility was him saying to Merlin “you’re an educated man dealing with an uneducated man” after the Merlin/Paul incident. Or the “you be assertive without being aggressive” comment. He really coined in on the whole ‘school captain wanting to be prime minister’ aesthetic. No tea no shade to that but just merely an observation. He was attractive, but I’m not personally attracted to him. He was the ‘golden boy’ and the one parents would want as their own. Quoting Paul on that one. For the most part he just reminds me of guys around my age I’ve interacted with at Uni.

Monica: She mostly suffered from only being there for two weeks due to her and Violeta coming in extremely late. But other than that, she felt like a non-entity. Ryan found her attractive and she felt the same with him. She simultaneously falls into the category of ‘ambiguously flirting or engaging in showmance whilst being not single’. Then the whole Bree situation was really redundant. She made a big deal about Bree possible liking Ryan but seriously I don’t think there was nothing that was to eventuate really.

Ashalea: When I say she was robbed… mean that shit. She is easily one of if not my favourite housemate this season. It’s honestly crazy how her archetype would be the one I would say producers try to replicate in later seasons (E.g. Christie, Brigitte, Skye, Tilly). But aside from that she was the main person who kept the entertainment in the house. The last two weeks without her really did show and her presence was for sure a loss. To put it quite simple, what I adore about Ashalea is that she’s just herself. There was no putting on an image that the public may like, I mean surely there’s no one who can pull some of the iconic shit she said and make it anywhere near natural as she presented it. The dialogue with Merlin will always go down as something so memorable about this season, “naive means to be a bit clueless”… “I LOVE THAT MOVIE”. Like hello??? Her thinking Big Brother controls the sun coming up and down and quite literally the physics of astronomy. You can’t tell me someone can just preemptively come up with that on the spot. She ultimately was the comedic relief in the house in the most natural of ways.

With all this being said, there were a lot of times in which she was the brunt of some of the flack her other housemates gave her. They complained and nominated her various times for “not doing much around the house” or “not cleaning up and doing housework” when they’re the exact people who let her just get away with it. They expected her to carry her own weight but under the same breath basically treat her like an overgrown child and there I say… infantilise her quite a bit. Like Paul, I did see a strong character in her especially with the whole Monica/Ryan fiasco and came back with some savage one-liners.

Besides Trevor, I personally believe she was a huge contender in winning the entire show. Was Australia ready for another female winner… even someone as young as Ashalea? I don’t know, but there I say she was prematurely evicted and was that to the effect of Bree coming in? Again I can’t say and I surely hope not because I adore both of them and would’ve love to see them both in the final week together. I often questioned why Gretel kept referring to her as a ‘genius’, but I think I figured why. She quickly picked up on the fact that she was fan favourite and towards the end I think it had actually sunken in that she could very well be the one to win the million dollars. Her shock after being evicted was truly sad experience and she deserved more.

Catherine: She is mostly a warm presence, she doesn’t exactly add much entertainment or too much dynamic. But overall a nice person to have in the house. Her main storyline in the first few weeks were about her being a mother and missing her children. She is the first parent so to speak experience that in BBAU and it does open for more budding storylines in that regard. But nonetheless, she is someone who opens up and learns to just have fun. Catherine was just really good at positioning herself in the house and the relationship with the public. I don’t think she’s someone who was going to win, but I also didn’t think she would be an early boot either. How she survived to 5th place does somewhat surprise me. Especially with already established fan-favourites such as; Wesley and Ashalea. I really thought she would’ve gone 2nd to Monica in the double.

Ryan: For someone who in general knowledge is aware of his existence as “Fitzy” who’s a radio host and mainly Australian media personality. It was rather fascinating seeing him and where he started, much similar to Chrissie. I do like him and who he is now as I do tune in and listen to the ‘Fitzy & Wippa’ podcast radio on Spotify sometimes. But aside from that, him on the show was definitely a whole different person and to preface, yes this of course was 18 years ago. However, the things he preached and his rather habitual behaviours were off-putting and disappointing. Much like Blair his go-to storyline was the fact that he never lived with women, in Ryan’s case it was aside from his Mum and Sister. That seemed for the most part to be used as a crutch for the terrible way he often treated the women in the house. Usually I would hear about the footy jock archetype; the typically straight guy who is almost misogynistic by default, has a lot of generally outdated views about society as a whole. But it was slightly bizarre how I in many ways saw that play out in Ryan.

The whole Miriam situation was hard to watch. He’s a major plot point in the blatant transphobia spoken about behind her back whilst being aired out to the entire country. I mean calling a trans woman a ‘bloke’ is just not right on any ground, it doesn’t matter if this was now or 2004. It’s still so wrong. Even if he knew about the show “There’s Something About Miriam”, going around the house referring to her as a he just perpetuates transphobic behaviour to be normalised. About the MLS situation, I can understand the merit of his friends producing shirts to make profit. That being $65,000 to be exact. For the times that Ryan was nominated, do I believe it falls under ‘vote tampering’? Maybe, but what I do know is that Ryan basically was the one who ‘promoted’ the brand and they blew all the money on alcohol and other things and left him nothing.

I will say overall, I did like Ryan when he wasn’t offending women and being an asshole. But I do believe he’s grown a lot from his past and do very much like him now.

Paul: From a nostalgic standpoint of the general public, he was basically vilified as ‘trashy’ or someone people loved to loathe. Being someone who never watched the season in its entirety and only had seen the clip of him and Merlin, I just naturally agreed and thought “yeah he’s pretty shit”. But with that being said, I was truly faulted in more ways than one. I never really understood why Paul was the way he was, but I think now that I’m much older and an adult myself. Paul is someone who delivers many layers of his personality. I truly 100% believe him when he said that he was there for the experience. It’d be safe to say if Paul wasn’t on the season or he was to be an early boot as kinda expected in the season’s early days. It definitely would’ve been a whole completely different show. A show with less entertainment to be exact.

I think it’s very clear that Paul expected that he would only be in the house for roughly a month if that. Because he definitely came in with a lot of heat. He quickly became someone who knew how to get under people’s skin and ‘stir the pot’. Until the fight happened. Now, I’ve already mentioned this writing about Merlin. But I will say that I agree on both sides. They both make points but again it was a case of logic vs. emotion. Which just doesn’t particularly end too well in most cases. I understand the whole legality aspect of being an Australian, but I also understand how living in Australia you tend to feel like you are. I guess the only problem was the way he went about it and for a long time it was a jarring situation to watch. I will say, it did a massive imprint on the history of BBAU and it’s something that will always be remembered.

After all this, he does become regular nominee and somehow survives many evictions with each week gaining a fan base behind him. He’s mostly the leader for the boys and does lose Terri not long after. He also does become the centre of attention when he doesn’t want to participate in the watermelon orb task (he eventually does). I can imagine that it would be frustrating especially by that point they hadn’t lost a task. But as a viewer it is thoroughly entertaining and again purely did it for the experience. Just after he finds out about the secret being the winner takes a million dollars. He does tend to quiet down a bit and that does become a topic of conversation about how he changed, but I think at that point he was comfortable with the people remaining and thought “maybe I could win this”.

Overall, Paul is someone who I massively respect. He handled the Miriam situation so well by just simply asking her instead of making it this huge secrecy. Him wanting to show the Aboriginal flag on the float is really warming especially as someone who is Indigenous myself. Also, I loved that he was upfront and just respected that Miriam was trans and shut down the ‘blokey’ conversation about two women kissing is different to two men. He was just like ‘yeah whatever, I have the same reaction and it’s fine’. But really, Paul is someone who I’m rather surprised isn’t on the cast for BB2022. He would actually thrive massively just because of the pot-stirring, and intelligence.

Bree: She is probably the most interesting person and goes through the most complex of storylines this season. For about 2/3 of the season Bree wasn’t really a main character and more so a secondary character to firstly Krystal and then Ryan. Again, Bree is another person I’ve always heard of growing up and the situation regarding her false eviction was something that I never understood but rather intrigued by. When Bree first entered she quickly attached herself to the likes of Krystal and basically the other girls. Krystal was the main girl and Bree just felt like a sidekick at best. I did enjoy both of them and their friendship but I do believe that in terms of the public, Krystal necessarily wouldn’t benefit Bree long term. Soon enough, Bree ended up losing a number of her closest friends including Krystal one after the other.

It wasn’t until around Merlin and Terri going that Bree had emerged as the ‘leader’ of the girls. Mainly to Ashalea and Catherine. ‘Mother Duck’ we call her. We really saw this in full swing when Catherine won the chance to know the secret and decided to let Bree know of it. They were the only two and it definitely caused a lot of drama amongst the group. Specifically it had ruptured the Bree vs. Paul situation which wasn’t as divisive and explosive as I thought it was gonna be. But then again they were kinda respective leaders of their own accord. Another thing that stood out was the brewing tension between Bree and Violeta which obviously didn’t last that long.

The eviction where everyone had first been nominated was the time where Bree’s eviction mishap occurred. The whole situation is very bizarre and the percentage of votes made no sense at all. Because fast forward to the recount where Wesley was to go and the distance between a number of people was considerably larger than the latter. I do truly believe in this case it had really skyrocketed Bree to lasting til the end. Because it said perfectly by the other housemates, she was the poor girl who was incorrectly evicted. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to just go back in and I really felt awful for her. She really was kinda outcasted for a while there and seeing her go through these whirlwind of emotions was sad to watch. From her ACA interview in 2011, she did say she was fine with not going in, but production almost just kinda whisked her back in anyways because really she could’ve went to sue the show and Legion Interactive at that.

I do personally relate to Bree in the aspects of her just standing up for what felt morally right. But with that, I must say I do admire how she carries herself through everything. I often forgot that at the time she was only a year older than myself. I think between her and Trevor either one would’ve won. Her coming back did I think only make Ashalea be prematurely evicted in the double. But besides that it was kind of known she was gonna make it to the end. Her and Ryan do make a great dynamic on Friday Night Live and I do believe that the whole eviction error wasn’t a terrible thing. It was the very moment that propelled her into being on of the most renowned housemates in BBAU. In conclusion, how she isn’t on the BB2022 cast is kind of a let down. I think she would’ve been an interesting character in the new format.

Trevor: Out of all the male winners so far I think Trevor has a nice all-round storyline. He felt way more visible than Ben and Peter in a lot of aspects. In the whole “keep the people you love and love to hate, and throw out the people you feel nothing for” basically Mike, Gretel & production tried to drill into the audience. I believe Trevor well balanced a fine line between not being completely a background character but enough of a presence that people would want to keep him around. A positive one at that. I personally enjoyed watching Trevor, he was an entertaining figure who liked to prank the other housemates with Ryan a lot of the time.

I don’t think a lot of winners or even finalists can say that they’ve never been voluntarily nominated up for eviction other than by default by Big Brother himself. With so many larger than life personalities I can see why people tended to want him in the house during the all house nominated/double evictions. He’s almost an underdog, much like the other winners from the 3 previous seasons. Is it underwhelming? Yes, kind of. Especially if the mantra of keeping big personalities in the house was hammered mostly all season. I guess if Bree was gonna be runner-up, she would be to Trevor. I mean, it was her intuition and prediction lol. I am however, very interested in seeing Trevor back on our screens for BB2022.

Well that concludes everything for this series. Again semi-great cast, has some all-star favourites. I truly believe this season more than anything feels like a transitional period into the later seasons. A bridge between BB03 and BB05 and beyond. I really did not expect this to be so so long. But I’m kinda surprised with how much I’ve had to say. Sorry if this was too much though. I am currently on Gianna’s eviction on BB05 and all I will say is that I am thoroughly getting into the hang of enjoying this season. With a teaser just come out about BB2022 a good few days ago, I really hope to push through these mammoth 100 day seasons.

I think your summary of the season is very much how I felt about it at the time. They had the opportunity to build on the fantastic twice BB3 had and just didn't. It probably would have been the season to go all out on the rich/poor divide, but here they just did it for a week or two.

Finding it hard to see moments that are worth sharing, every fucking daily show is a task, challenge or gimmick. At 30:11 there was a fun fight between Terrence and Brigitte which leads into a whole generation debate. Terrence feels Brigitte is disrespectful to him and she does not care at all. She's the only person I even remotely care about in this cast, everyone else annoys me in some way. I understand why Nobbi left but now that he is gone Brigitte is carrying this show on her back.

Now up to Day 63 where Rima re-enters the house. Her return to the house was very much expected by viewers and housemates it seems at some point. I am glad they got her in as soon as she was physically able to, I am undecided if I would have liked her to become eligible to win again or not. I don't think she would have won anyway, but who knows, she may have won sympathy and could have taken it out. I wouldn't have been against her staying until the last week, is it possible she just didn't want to? I remember her secret mission causing a huge blow up from Bianca so I am keen to see that unfold. I expect to finish this season by tomorrow most likely, and then I will enter Sonia Kruger territory.

The one thing about BB08 that has ALWAYS bugged me, and will forever do so, is the Memento Cabinet. During the launch show, each Housemate had to place a “treasured item” on the shelf before entering the house - it was heavily implied that it’d play a significant role later in the season.

Well, the twist was NEVER mentioned or talked about again after that very first episode. At all.

Still confuses me to this day what happened with that…

Actually, I’d love for someone who worked on the show at the time to share some insight about why it was shelved (no pun intended) some time.

The one thing about BB08 that has ALWAYS bugged me, and will forever do so, is the Memento Cabinet. During the launch show, each Housemate had to place a “treasured item” on the shelf before entering the house - it was heavily implied that it’d play a significant role later in the season.

Well, the twist was NEVER mentioned or talked about again after that very first episode. At all.

Still confuses me to this day what happened with that…

Actually, I’d love for someone who worked on the show at the time to share some insight about why it was shelved (no pun intended) some time.
It has bugged me as well for years. I never understood the relevance behind it since it was literally ignored after night one. The only time it was referenced again was when Terri entered the house again and when the intruders came in.

Much less significant obviously but did the lockers with the false backs ever feature beyond the launch night? My memory says no.

Much less significant obviously but did the lockers with the false backs ever feature beyond the launch night? My memory says no.
I’m pretty sure they did. Likely for BB to deliver things (similar to how he’d serve food in previous years).
I can't remember properly but I think Brigitte's toy unicorn "Princess Sparkle" was put in there and Big Brother took it? Other than I haven't seen anything shown of it in the daily shows.

TBH a lot of the new gimmicks shown on launch night ended up being nothing. The lockers haven't done much at all, we've just discussed the cabinet, the big bed was something that they all got used to and as numbers decreased it became less of an issue, the convayor belt in the kitchen was scrapped after a week and the "snap evictions" there were supposed to appear throughout the series were just the gate crashers eviction, I guess the double in week 4, Brigitte's mid week eviction and the "Big Sting" special show on Day 78. But pretty much the snap eviction tease was nothing. From Wee 4-11 there was no change what so ever. And tbh, a double eviction and a pseudo-intruder eviction are not that unexpected.

Back