Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

I guess 4:55 is a funny moment that I do remember more than most things that happened in the season.

Brigitte loses her possessions thanks to Saxon's hand grenade and I admit that her saying "get fucked Saxon" did make me giggle.

I’m also a fan of the BB09 pre-season ad campaign. Probably one of the best BB pre-season campaigns IMO. It had a very simple message and they did a decent job at not over promising.

EDIT: I think you're talking about BB08 promos and not '09' (2012) again haha, but anyways my comment relates to the 2012 pre season: :)

I was actually part of the extras casting call to the gen public they put out for this in 2012 (middle of winter, July in Sydney). They had two locations IIRC in NSW, one in Parramatta, and one in Olympic Park on the outside of ANZ Stadium. I went to the latter, and at one point I was doing the shuffle dance about 2 or 3 rows away from Sonia. I took some pics (and I think theres some still on the BBAU Facebook Archive too) I may share a few later.

The end result was about 2 seconds in the finished promo from a very wide overhead shot where if you can squint you can make out a speck in the dancing crowd.... and..... whatever it was a fun day out (I was unemployed at the time in that particular part of the year and going through the JobSearch motions, so it was my bit of excitement from the cycle for a day). :p

Last edited:
P.S. Regarding Friday Night Download am I right in thinking for a period they had a non-BB related Friday Night Live style show outside the series too?
Friday Night Games ran for about 3-4 months from about January/early Feb to Aprilish 2006 before BB06 started IIRC. I think that was the only time it went off season.

Ah yeah, I remember that Download show!

According to IMDB there were 10 episodes, which sounds about right. 6 heats, 3 semi-finals and a grand final. Two teams in each round, except for the grand final where there were three. One of the episodes was uploaded to YouTube:

When the roof was added to the FNL arena for 2006 a second smaller section was also installed to cover where the audience sat for non-BB Friday Night Games.

BB06 FNL FNG pre-BB06

Vincent files.
"Who wrote the history of the Kelly gang"

um um "Spike Milligan?"
This is hilarious on a multitude of levels.
None of which particularly portray him in an intelligent light.

I may well have to write a thesis on Vincent when Ive finished this series as a kind of catharsis.
He is such a well crafted unintentional continual self-parodist fictional character.
Except he's not fictional.
This blows my mind.

The biggest thing I've noticed so far from my rewatch of 2008 is how underwhelming the eviction shows are compared to the Gretel era. Kyle and Jackie O are so awkwardly bad, it is almost cringeworthy to watch. Kyle is abruptly rude for no reason and obviously had no idea what went on in the house beyond what was shown on the daily show. Jackie is okay but is pretty much awkward for most of her time on stage and is passively agreeable or disagreeable to Kyle depending on the housemate.

The eviction room was such a waste of space, the announcement could have been done in the lounge room. I also really hate the "danger zone" where every daily show revealed the housemates that were in the bottom five. For the most part the bottom five, it was consistent, but come eviction night the result was quite random. For instance, in week two Saxon, Rebecca and David were constantly in the danger zone with Alice and Renee rotating with Dixie each night. Then come the eviction Rory is randomly in the bottom 3 after being one of the four to never be in the danger zone. Then in week 3 Alice, Dixie and Rebecca were also consistently in the danger zone only for the bottom three to eventually have Ben, Travis and Rory? I hate that this show was obsessed with showing graphs/faces/percentages throughout a voting period to alter the result.

The revolving door in the first eviction was also so stupid, what was the purpose? The removal of the eviction plank also makes the atmosphere in the crowd die a little (it came back for the Day 77 eviction didn't it?) and I do miss the friends and family being interviewed. The eviction shows so far have felt like live specials more than eviction shows and lack the feel of event television. Kyle and Jackie O also deliver the news so casually with a lack of enthusiasm compared to how Gretel would.

I'm only 3 weeks in but I have very brief and limited thoughts on these housemates so far. I am not seeing any complexity and more seeing one dimension to them all. I know barely anything about their lives in the outside world and have almost no analysis on what kind of people most of the cast were. It doesn't really feel like Big Brother and feels more like a generic reality show. I didn't go in with very high expectations but my opinion is quickly lowering.

Last edited:
Random deviation from the Vincent files.
The way Jo effortlessly flirts and glides between boys in a matter of mere seconds is quite astonishing.
That takes a special kind of conciousness. Im not gonna label it narcisstic or kind of emotionally sociopathic but its close.
Just that naked ability to pour out "intense heartfelt" feelings to a boy and looking them in the eyes and then being able to totally switch off and target the next in mere seconds.
Dont know if its a gift or talent but its kinda eerie to watch.

Yes 2008 really never felt like event tv to me, it’s hard to imagine that they felt they were improving things with those tweaks because it honestly seems more like phoning it in.

Did production have a good indicator from the get go that this would be the last season I wonder? So many aspects feel like somehow both a last resort attempt to improve things but also like they were a bit yolo and had given up.

Did production have a good indicator from the get go that this would be the last season I wonder? So many aspects feel like somehow both a last resort attempt to improve things but also like they were a bit yolo and had given up.
I think the stunt casting (and stunt hosting with Kyle) was a sign of desperation on their part.

I was just thinking imagine what if Instead of Hosting So You Think You Can Dance Australia debut on TEN in '08, Natalie Bassingthwaighte went to BB2008 instead? Who would've hosted that otherwise I wonder, and would it have been as Blockbuster ratings wise still.

8:40

I'm struggling to find moments that are worth sharing from this season, but I do love Brigitte. An overused archetype by this point but she is extremely animated and she switches from happy and bubbly to pissed off instantly. She has a task where she has to wear rose coloured glasses and be positive in order to win some clothing items back that were taken away by the hand grenade.

Rory and Nobbi were annoyed that she got a task and Nobbi didn't. Personally I thought it was funny that Nobbi had to stay in that Kombi for the entire time. But these tasks are getting pretty stupid now and they're anything but arbitrary.

Edit: I'm actually enjoying this daily show as I keep watching LOL. At about 13:15 Bianca is such condescending little witch, Brigitte says she doesn't care that it's unfair because she didn't ask for it. Bianca says she indirectly did and then asks her if she knows what that word means. I forgot how much I didn't like her.

Last edited:
Changing the voting format back in week 6 indicates to me that they really tried to spice it up with the intent of it doing well, and then found it wasn't working so they thought going back to the basics would reel in viewers they lost from changing it. So I would guess they really had hope and then it crashed and burned.

Yes Brigitte was my favourite too and probably the only one I particularly liked. Way too often my favourite just ends up being the prettiest girl, which was Rebecca this season, but Brigitte was just so entertaining and endearing. I really liked her eviction video to the other HMs.

Yes Brigitte was my favourite too and probably the only one I particularly liked. Way too often my favourite just ends up being the prettiest girl, which was Rebecca this season, but Brigitte was just so entertaining and endearing. I really liked her eviction video to the other HMs.
My favourite always tends to be the whiney loud girl. Of all the eight series on channel TEN my favourites were all female.

The daily shows are getting pretty fun in the middle of the season. A double eviction so early in the series is something I'd normally be against, but losing Nathan and David did very the series very good for what it's worth. The pact mentality between the men in this season was worse than most other seasons so it was good to see the boys be outnumbered early on.

(can't share the link here, just google BBAU 2008 Big Mouth Day 36)

At 3:19 is the infamous fight between Renee and Bianca about Bianca's boobs and getting a breast reduction. It's hard to form an opinion on the issue when there was no lead up shown. All that was shown was them blowing up at each other. I guess Bianca was a very explosive person who did take things to heart, but it's not really Renee and Alice's business about Bianca's boobs. IDK, for such a big fight I have little opinion on it with the lack of context shown.

Apparently, this is what is said to be the reason behind Renee's eviction. Personally, I don't feel she came across as that bad in comparison to Bianca. How Bianca survived over Renee baffles me.

Also at 7:30 (this moment takes up pretty much the entire daily show) Travis and Alice were both brought to tears from the meddling of the spa mafia boys. Earlier in the week, Alice had been asked who she would be friends with the least on the outside, she answered Travis. The three boys Ben, Nobbi and Rory repeated this to him and told Travis she said she "hates" him. Then during this daily show Nobbi decides to ignite the flame of conflict and asks Travis in a game of truth or dare who his least favourite housemate is, knowing full well he will say Alice (despite what he claims). It turns ugly, the boys end up being exposed for what they are and they are called out for their bullying of Travis.

I understand now how Nobbi's popularity plummeted but what I don't get is how Ben and Rory end up at the end? Ben was a slimy follower of the boys and Rory was pretty much an arrogant bully who thought too highly of himself. I can understand that Rory got through to the end through pretty privileged, but Ben? Ben as a finalist is an enigma to me. Oh, and don't get me started on the constant propping up of Terri. The final three for this series would have to be the LEAST deserving of any season.

A lot of the appeal for Ben and Bianca was the whole "will they, won't they?" storyline.
(apparently the answer was "yes" for Ben all season, until finale night when it became "yes" for Bianca and Ben was too busy off with groupies lol)
Allegedly Rory was the "hot guy" teen girls wanted to date (which is why Rhianna went straight for him when she went in, only to be turfed because she didn't realise it was the teen girls wanting him for themselves)

A lot of the appeal for Ben and Bianca was the whole "will they, won't they?" storyline.
(apparently the answer was "yes" for Ben all season, until finale night when it became "yes" for Bianca and Ben was too busy off with groupies lol)
Allegedly Rory was the "hot guy" teen girls wanted to date (which is why Rhianna went straight for him when she went in, only to be turfed because she didn't realise it was the teen girls wanting him for themselves)
I vaguely remember this Bianca and Ben storyline so I guess that makes sense. I would have preferred a final 3 of Alice, Brigitte and I guess Travis. If I was watching this without knowing anything I'd be extremely disappointed in the final 3. I wouldn't have wanted any of them to win. Ben especially.

ugh was Rory really the hottie of the season? I guess it was slim pickings.

Similarly, who would have been a better final 3/winner I wonder. Brigitte and… no one? David had potential but it never eventuated. Renee seemed ok I guess?

Rima was awesome, I wish she had been able to stay.

ugh was Rory really the hottie of the season? I guess it was slim pickings.

Similarly, who would have been a better final 3/winner I wonder. Brigitte and… no one? David had potential but it never eventuated. Renee seemed ok I guess?

Rima was awesome, I wish she had been able to stay.
To me personally yeah Rory was hot, it's an acquired taste I guess. Brigitte for me is the obvious winner, but everyone else is not winner material. I would have liked Rima to stay longer. A lot of this cast are either unlikable or boring.

Back