Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Such a mess. I feel like from memory it was always going to be the last season,like the contract or whatever was until 2008. Or is this is a total false memory? But I wonder if there was at least a chance at it being renewed if they could save the ratings. I genuinely can’t decide if this was them pulling out all the stops and going to great lengths to hook people in or just knowing it was the last season and going out with a bang. Presumably the intention was to create a great and lasting season and not destroy the legacy, and with the hope that maybe it could be renewed. But seriously who could tell.

Such a mess. I feel like from memory it was always going to be the last season,like the contract or whatever was until 2008. Or is this is a total false memory? But I wonder if there was at least a chance at it being renewed if they could save the ratings. I genuinely can’t decide if this was them pulling out all the stops and going to great lengths to hook people in or just knowing it was the last season and going out with a bang. Presumably the intention was to create a great and lasting season and not destroy the legacy, and with the hope that maybe it could be renewed. But seriously who could tell.
I think I read somewhere it was being renewed on an annual basis at one point, someone clarify if this incorrect. I think there was decent effort put in to make it different. 2008 was still in the grand scheme of things relatively early-mid days of mainstream reality television. Shows like Big Brother, Amazing Race, Survivor ect hadn't been as watered down and ruined at that point yet, trying something new didn't necessarily result in a poor season all of the time, it's just the ideas they put into practise for 2008 didn't really work. There was thought behind it all, it just didn't work at all.

IIRC the cancellation announcement came as a surprise. I also can’t see why they’d have gone through the trouble of trying to revamp the show if they knew the show would be axed at the end of it all. There were also a ton of rumours about Ten reviving the show with a revised format. While I often put little weight behind many of said rumours there had to have been a least a grain of truth behind a few of them.

I think I read somewhere it was being renewed on an annual basis at one point, someone clarify if this incorrect. I think there was decent effort put in to make it different. 2008 was still in the grand scheme of things relatively early-mid days of mainstream reality television. Shows like Big Brother, Amazing Race, Survivor ect hadn't been as watered down and ruined at that point yet, trying something new didn't necessarily result in a poor season all of the time, it's just the ideas they put into practise for 2008 didn't really work. There was thought behind it all, it just didn't work at all.
My memory is pretty foggy but I do believe you’re correct in saying they were only on a year to year contract when the show was canceled. It explains why the show was dropped with only a few weeks left in the series.

My memory is pretty foggy but I do believe you’re correct in saying they were only on a year to year contract when the show was canceled. It explains why the show was dropped with only a few weeks left in the series.
A shame really. I agree with some of the comments here that it should have been given another go. The series itself I would say is overall underrated. It isn't amazing but I think there could have been a ground to play on for another series. The second half is pretty standard format wise, so really to me, the cast was most of the issue in the later end.

That whole season was a train wreck. It reeked of desperation with the hosts, stunt casting, "celebrity" intruders, etc. It was like they were just throwing all their ideas into it. What a desperate grab bag.

That whole season was a train wreck. It reeked of desperation with the hosts, stunt casting, "celebrity" intruders, etc. It was like they were just throwing all their ideas into it. What a desperate grab bag.
The Pamela Anderson thing seals the deal for me. Corey Worthington was funny for Terri and unintentionally for watching Bianca as well, Carson and the hypnotist was a waste of time and Pamela was horrid desperation. The reek of desperation is definitely there but in all honesty, I'd rather rewatch this than 2002.

My main issue is the lack of complexity within the cast. I don't know anything about these people aside from small things. I know Alice is a vet, I know Rory is a brickie whose slept with 70+ women, Ben studies law, Travis has a cat named Milsy, Terri likes Pauline Hanson and Cherry surfs. It is all so surface level and all of the narratives require a task, secret mission or some sort of drama. I don't hate the season but I just struggle to pin point things they did right. Brigitte is the only one I cared about to want to watch.

Oh yes, that was the whole reason they cast her, alongside (or should I say opposite) Nobbi.
Her edit is insanely positive. The last week of daily shows does a great job at making her look good and making Alice look bad. At this point it's playing in the background while I write my housemates thoughts. I just want it to end so I can start 2012.

Oh yes, that was the whole reason they cast her, alongside (or should I say opposite) Nobbi.
The fact that they casted her for most part of being in favour of a bigot… what the actual fawk were these casting producers on? Lord this series aged worse than milk. I’ve got quite a chunk before I get there tho

IIRC the cancellation announcement came as a surprise. I also can’t see why they’d have gone through the trouble of trying to revamp the show if they knew the show would be axed at the end of it all. There were also a ton of rumours about Ten reviving the show with a revised format. While I often put little weight behind many of said rumours there had to have been a least a grain of truth behind a few of them.
Correct, it was a surprise to a lot of people. (I remember being shocked to my core at the time, lol... teen me couldn’t have imagined it.)

Of-course there’s every possibility there was likely some foresight within the network/production by mid season, but they definitely didn’t know for the first half. The official axing announcement came July 14, which was a week before the season was due to end on July 21.

The official axing announcement came July 14, which was a week before the season was due to end on July 21.
I find it funny that it was axed during the series, so all the housemates exiting from that point would just think okay wow were we that boring. At least the UK version gave a years notice and gave it a great send off. The original BBAU series ends so abruptly and anticlimactically. If they gave it one more series or at least an All-stars to give the show a proper end I'd sleep at night happier.

The official axing announcement came July 14
I just looked at the WP thread around that time, and this comment came up:

Gretel and a load of monkeys would pull more viewers.

Which, I'm not sure, may have been the impetus for this response from Tim:

headermini.gif

I just looked at the WP thread around that time, and this comment came up:

Gretel and a load of monkeys would pull more viewers.

Which, I'm not sure, may have been the impetus for this response from Tim:

headermini.gif
I saw this on the wayback machine website and have always been beyond confused. Now this makes sense. I remember seeing Camilla represented as princess Fiona as well? Am I dreaming that? or was it actually a thing?

I saw this on the wayback machine website and have always been beyond confused. Now this makes sense. I remember seeing Camilla represented as princess Fiona as well? Am I dreaming that? or was it actually a thing?
oooh, now I don't remember that.

2008 day 15 betting odds though. I wonder if many people cleaned up on Terri?

1647941359891.png

oooh, now I don't remember that.

2008 day 15 betting odds though. I wonder if many people cleaned up on Terri?

View attachment 57573
All finalists at fairly high odds. Someone would definitely have had to make a bet on her. I read some articles also regarding Brigitte. Apparently someone working on the show made a heavy bet on her to go when she was paying something like $14 to 1.

If I had not known the result while watching this I probably would have given up. All of the final five suck tbh. Terri was not really that special, Rory was arrogant, Ben was slimy, Alice was boring and I couldn't stand Travis.

Back