Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Can you give some examples of why she was shocking? I've never really watched the first two seasons an am interested as to why.

I mean it was 2001/2002, can't really blame them for that!
She presents as if it's an audience of 5 year olds - the first eviction is particularly painful. She is far better when sat down with the evictee - trouble is they had to fill half an hour to get to that point.

To be fair though most long running hosts take a year or two to hit their stride and clips from their first series often don't stand the test of time, and of course the show all being a bit raw was part of the appeal at the time.

The titles might have been shit but the theme was a banger… I loved how they essentially recycled the original BB theme.
It's the theme I thought was a mess - much better from the third series.

Yeah I've always had a soft spot for the animated characters going to the DR and walking out of the house with their suitcase etc. Was very cute.
I didn't realise they had special stings for uncut too of them getting naked in the shower and frisky in the pool.

Watching the Merlin interview and Gretel handled it so well and I'm glad the show didn't blacklist him from future appearances as I suspect would happen now. The audience weren't so gracious though.

The casual transphobia from both the HMs and Gretel herself earlier in the episode in regards to Miriam hasn't aged well at all though - although it's something that I'm pretty sure was being called out here at the time too.

The BB4 finale format though really did not work anywhere near as well as the BB3 final when they switched the announcement to the stage. Was the right call though to move the launch to tge auditorium after the downpour during the BB3 launch.

The BB4 finale format though really did not work anywhere near as well as the BB3 final when they switched the announcement to the stage. Was the right call though to move the launch to tge auditorium after the downpour during the BB3 launch.
Its raining its pouring Gretel is getting boring the viewers are nearly snoring!

To be fair Sonia has now hosted Big Brother Australia for the same amount of years (seven) as Gretel.
Gretel put way more hours into the show than Sonia. Not to mention all the extra shows that came with it back then.

During Gretel’s time as host (7 seasons + Celeb BB), the show racked up about 667 total ingame days.
Whereas Sonia (also 7 seasons + Celeb BB) racked up only 479 days in the house.

Gretel easily clears Sonia in this department.

I think one of the reasons I find Gretel not as good in the first couple of years is that she presents to the audience rather than the camera, so she's looking all over the place on eviction night which makes it look like she doesn't know what camera she's on. This is less of an issue as time goes on or when sat down with guests or hosting the shows not in the auditorium with a smaller audience or none at all. BB3-5 was peak Gretel.

Sonia was very poor in the Nine era but to be fair suited the Seven format more of not having an audience to present too - indeed no audience at home this series either.

I think with Nine Sonia would be near the top of my list of the issues with the show but with Seven there are way bigger problems than Sonia.

she presents to the audience rather than the camera, so she's looking all over the place on eviction night which makes it look like she doesn't know what camera she's on.
Is that her fault though? Shouldn't the producers (er, Big Brother) be in her ear telling her where the hell to look?

Maybe they were. This is all with the benefit of 20+ years too because I remember Gretel as the much better presenter she was in later years before she tires of it. Frankly too you'd expect a host to get better over time - and it's more a case of slicker than better too which reflects the show too. BB4 is a very different production to BB1/2. Everything being quite raw was on brand for those first series and it was quite on trend at the time for presenters to be filmed in such a manner rather than just talking direct to camera.

Also as I'm skipping through just key shows of the series it's very Gretel heavy.

Everything being quite raw was on brand for those first series and it was quite on trend at the time for presenters to be filmed in such a manner rather than just talking direct to camera.
I think that must be it. This is a live event at Dreamworld the Home of Big Brother that we are also letting you watch on TV. Otherwise after the first one or two live shows they'd have had a word with her to get her to focus on the cameras. Not that I've watched those seasons in years.

I think that must be it. This is a live event at Dreamworld the Home of Big Brother that we are also letting you watch on TV. Otherwise after the first one or two live shows they'd have had a word with her to get her to focus on the cameras. Not that I've watched those seasons in years.
I personally think this is the case. I did notice as well when re-watching BB1 the shots of Gretel were never of her looking directly at the camera but more the crowd. But that’s definitely not her fault, but more of a production choice I guess. But that’s probably because early seasons of Big Brother focused on the event rather than the show. Whereas later seasons shifted to focus on the show rather than the event, and everything had to look polished for the camera.

I think one of the reasons I find Gretel not as good in the first couple of years is that she presents to the audience rather than the camera, so she's looking all over the place on eviction night which makes it look like she doesn't know what camera she's on. This is less of an issue as time goes on or when sat down with guests or hosting the shows not in the auditorium with a smaller audience or none at all. BB3-5 was peak Gretel.

Sonia was very poor in the Nine era but to be fair suited the Seven format more of not having an audience to present too - indeed no audience at home this series either.

I think with Nine Sonia would be near the top of my list of the issues with the show but with Seven there are way bigger problems than Sonia.
Wasnt Gretel getting really stroppy in BB 6/7, almost as though she had enough of the role?

Back