Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Wasnt Gretel getting really stroppy in BB 6/7, almost as though she had enough of the role?
Anyone would if they had to fly from Sydney-Gold Coast again 3 times a week for 3 months. And on top of that doing press interviews, writing scrips, rehearsing live shows and having to keep up with the show beyond the daily shows. She was possibly one of the most overworked reality TV hosts in Australian Television. I honestly do not hold any ill-regard to her for begining to detest the role. Anyone who is overworked that much would grow to hate any job that would put them in that position.

Anyone would if they had to fly from Sydney-Gold Coast again 3 times a week for 3 months. And on top of that doing press interviews, writing scrips, rehearsing live shows and having to keep up with the show beyond the daily shows. She was possibly one of the most overworked reality TV hosts in Australian Television. I honestly do not hold any ill-regard to her for begining to detest the role. Anyone who is overworked that much would grow to hate any job that would put them in that position.
fair enough, but to be fair getting paid to both watch big brother and travel interstate sounds like a dream job!

fair enough, but to be fair getting paid to both watch big brother and travel interstate sounds like a dream job!
It does, but I'd imagine it would have been hard whilst also parenting children and then later teenagers whilst doing it

Surely she flew in for Sunday then out after noms on Monday. Not sure if Uncut was live on Monday or recorded earlier, or when airing later in the week in earlier series if it was filmed a couple of days earlier. Indeed they could have filmed the non-audience shows in Sydney, but don't think that was the case.

The midweek specials increased over the years but to be fair Gretel left at the right time for her to protect her legacy.

Just looking back at articles of the time and all the reports were that Gretel was axed rather than quit and it was announced at the same time Gretel and Jackie O were announced.

Have just watched more of the BB6 Finale than I thought I would - it's a bit of a marathon but an easier watch than the BB4 Finale was, other than the few minutes with Mike Goldman. Did Bree go on to host much after FNL?

Just looking back at articles of the time and all the reports were that Gretel was axed rather than quit and it was announced at the same time Gretel and Jackie O were announced.

Have just watched more of the BB6 Finale than I thought I would - it's a bit of a marathon but an easier watch than the BB4 Finale was, other than the few minutes with Mike Goldman. Did Bree go on to host much after FNL?
According to her Wikipedia page aside from a spinoff of FNL no…

I never watched FNL and can't bring myself to even check out an episode - from the clips in the finale it looked absolutely awful, but the few minutes the trio were filling in the show whilst Gretel was going to the house Bree seemed very competent and very confident working the crowd.

Was it the "Quiet as a mouse... were going to cross to the house" that came off a bit Play School I wonder lol.
Did Bree go on to host much after FNL?

Not really. The 3 of them did a short run of a show called 'Download' which was a funny internet clips show in 2008 and I think they co hosted Channel tens coverage of the Sydney NYE show in 2006. FNL also spun off into a celebrity kinda version for about 3 months before BB2006 (January to April iirc).

According to a daily mail article I found https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowb...-Bree-Amer-reveals-surprising-new-career.html
She is now a marriage celebrant but is married to a TV Producer and has done some behind the scenes work in casting/producing herself on shows like MKR and The Bachelor.

Last edited:
Definitely think it was a mix of Gretel being over the show at that point and the show wanting to move in a different direction.

There doesn’t seem to be any bad blood and if she has tried to distance herself from the show it seems to be more that she doesn’t want to be forever known as the BB lady.

As someone who has travelled interstate for work it does get pretty tedious - flights never take off on time so you spend a lot of time just sitting at the airport. I was flying between Melbourne and Adelaide, which was only a 1 hour flight, but add in taxi rides in peak traffic, and all the check-in process it was the best part of 4-6 hours from door to door. If you have already done a full days work on top of that and you are doing it repetitively it gets exhausting. Travel every now and then for work is a novelty - constant travel loses its appeal.

As someone who has travelled interstate for work it does get pretty tedious - flights never take off on time so you spend a lot of time just sitting at the airport. I was flying between Melbourne and Adelaide, which was only a 1 hour flight, but add in taxi rides in peak traffic, and all the check-in process it was the best part of 4-6 hours from door to door. If you have already done a full days work on top of that and you are doing it repetitively it gets exhausting. Travel every now and then for work is a novelty - constant travel loses its appeal.
As a former flight attendant I second this…

A hard episode for Gretel to keep on track would probably be that Golden Key Winner Special during BB2007. I remember the mileage the soundgrab of her talking to the stagehands taking too long between set pieces got on the BBBA Podcast episode of it. "Come on Golden Boy with that envelope! Quickquickquickquickquic...Thank-YOU!" LOL

I read somewhere it was a mutual decision, Gretel had gotten the 'seven year itch' and was getting sick of the role, while her employer Channel ten was getting sick of her being stroppy and favoring certain housemates.

I never watched FNL and can't bring myself to even check out an episode - from the clips in the finale it looked absolutely awful, but the few minutes the trio were filling in the show whilst Gretel was going to the house Bree seemed very competent and very confident working the crowd.
See I have very fond memories of FNL growing up, and it was always an extra bit of fun and laughs to look forward to. Bree, Fitzy and Mike had great chemsitry IMO and I love that it made Bree into a Big Brother legend and pushed away the false eviction as her focus. But a lot of the challenegs and comments did not age well.

See I have very fond memories of FNL growing up, and it was always an extra bit of fun and laughs to look forward to. Bree, Fitzy and Mike had great chemsitry IMO and I love that it made Bree into a Big Brother legend and pushed away the false eviction as her focus. But a lot of the challenegs and comments did not age well.
I used to live FNL growing up, and i know a lot of other people who i went to school with where the only BB they were allowed to watch was FNL.

Have to wonder if bringing a younger audience to the show from BB5 onwards with FNL is part of the reason complaints about Uncut really ramped up that year.

Back