Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Saxon was always a good looking guy but scruffy Saxon takes it to another level 🤤.
That actually reminds me. I said to my boss at work I was rewatching Big Brother and noticed him at the 03 double eviction live show. He was telling me how Daniel was exactly like that in real life. He apparently would take girls on dates and when they would pass food courts he'd change his accent depending on which type of shop they'd pass.

Apparently Daniel's boss wasn't expecting to be called and was called out of the blue to go to the live show. He said when he went that he got to go to the after show drinks and party with Saxon and crew. He told me Gretel was cruel but that Mike Goldman was a real terd who had to make all the attention on him and just not a good guy. I've heard this also from someone who was at the 2020 finale and that he was cracking onto female housemates.

Back to BB05 for a minute, I just just watched Glenn's eviction interview. From 45:22 I am unsure of what the general opinion of this on here. I'll give my view which I am expecting to be an unpopular opinion. Glenn was a 21 year old boy from the country in the early 2000s, I am not going to say I agree with his behaviour and comments about the women, namely Michelle, but I will say that this isn't behaviour that I've never heard of happening before. Today there are guys my age who probably do similar if not worse. He was 21 with a group of other young guys, I don't really see how this is a big shock. Was he pretty disgusting for lying to Michelle about his kiss with Geneva? Yes. Is he a jerk for playing with her feelings and planning on a rebound in the event of her eviction? Absolutely. But what happens on stage I would argue was unnecessary overkill.

Regardless if a housemate is controversial or just legitimately an asshole, their eviction show is still a lets say celebration of their time in the house and looking back at their moments. It's not supposed to be an ambush to publicly humiliate them. He would have copped that all during interviews in the following days, just let the guy enjoy his time in the house for half an hour. The whole thing seems to be egged on by Gretel, she is so abundantly trying to reprimand him in the harshest way she can by also being semi passive. To say "oh well it's a game where the audience has their say and tonight THEY DEFINITELY HAD THIER SAY" is really just her saying sucked in Glenn.

I don't disagree that he deserved to be called out for the behaviour, but bringing Michelle in on his own eviction show was just not needed IMO. He was really taken back by it and his body language spoke so much of the situation then and there. The kid just wanted to enjoy seeing clips of his time in the house and yet was crucified on stage. It is definitely at this point that Gretel has too much input. Have your opinion on the situation, but is this really necessary? He was pretty much shafted into a corner and had to sit there and be scolded. I am not saying by any means that it wasn't deserved but when you have a young boy being scolded by a woman twice his age how would you think he's gonna feel? He made a really shitty mistake but there is honestly so much worse he could have done. The crowd also seemed to boo on Gretel's indirect command.

From what it seemed he had made it clear that he didn't want a relationship with Michelle, so all he did was really just lie about kissing Geneva and arrogantly said if Michelle goes he'll just crack onto Kate. This isn't behaviour that is unheard of from 21 year old boys. Yet we're going to praise Marty for literally cheating on his girlfriend in BB2? This whole thing is a giant bias.

However in saying all of this I totally enjoyed it as a Television moment, this whole season is great to watch but from an ethical production analysis, Big Brother Au really hit some bumpy roads by this point.

He told me Gretel was cruel but that Mike Goldman was a real terd who had to make all the attention on him and just not a good guy. I've heard this also from someone who was at the 2020 finale and that he was cracking onto female housemates.
I think Mike’s been rumoured to be a bit of a sleaze for a while now. TBH I’ve never understood his appeal and why he is so popular in the fandom. Nothing about his hosting style or narration stood out enough that made him so irreplaceable. Gretel on the other hand I can understand why people are so attached.

Back to BB05 for a minute, I just just watched Glenn's eviction interview. From 45:22 I am unsure of what the general opinion of this on here. I'll give my view which I am expecting to be an unpopular opinion. Glenn was a 21 year old boy from the country in the early 2000s, I am not going to say I agree with his behaviour and comments about the women, namely Michelle, but I will say that this isn't behaviour that I've never heard of happening before. Today there are guys my age who probably do similar if not worse. He was 21 with a group of other young guys, I don't really see how this is a big shock. Was he pretty disgusting for lying to Michelle about his kiss with Geneva? Yes. Is he a jerk for playing with her feelings and planning on a rebound in the event of her eviction? Absolutely. But what happens on stage I would argue was unnecessary overkill.

Regardless if a housemate is controversial or just legitimately an asshole, their eviction show is still a lets say celebration of their time in the house and looking back at their moments. It's not supposed to be an ambush to publicly humiliate them. He would have copped that all during interviews in the following days, just let the guy enjoy his time in the house for half an hour. The whole thing seems to be egged on by Gretel, she is so abundantly trying to reprimand him in the harshest way she can by also being semi passive. To say "oh well it's a game where the audience has their say and tonight THEY DEFINITELY HAD THIER SAY" is really just her saying sucked in Glenn.

I don't disagree that he deserved to be called out for the behaviour, but bringing Michelle in on his own eviction show was just not needed IMO. He was really taken back by it and his body language spoke so much of the situation then and there. The kid just wanted to enjoy seeing clips of his time in the house and yet was crucified on stage. It is definitely at this point that Gretel has too much input. Have your opinion on the situation, but is this really necessary? He was pretty much shafted into a corner and had to sit there and be scolded. I am not saying by any means that it wasn't deserved but when you have a young boy being scolded by a woman twice his age how would you think he's gonna feel? He made a really shitty mistake but there is honestly so much worse he could have done. The crowd also seemed to boo on Gretel's indirect command.

From what it seemed he had made it clear that he didn't want a relationship with Michelle, so all he did was really just lie about kissing Geneva and arrogantly said if Michelle goes he'll just crack onto Kate. This isn't behaviour that is unheard of from 21 year old boys. Yet we're going to praise Marty for literally cheating on his girlfriend in BB2? This whole thing is a giant bias.

However in saying all of this I totally enjoyed it as a Television moment, this whole season is great to watch but from an ethical production analysis, Big Brother Au really hit some bumpy roads by this point.
Everything up until they brought out Michelle I think was relevant… While it’s not Gretel’s job to hold HM’s accountable for their behaviour in the house she is to a degree an extension of the fandom and addressing the fact that he’d be playing multiple woman in the house was something the fans were interested in addressing with him. Brining Michelle out to address him really took the spotlight off Glen and put it on her… They could have easily moved that segment to the Nominations show.

I did love Glenn’s eviction a lot, probably partly because he really didn’t seem to think he was going. But I will also agree it probably went too far. I love Gretel but her man hating ways wore thin at times, she was much more understanding of Jo two years earlier despite Jo not being single like Glenn, and I very much doubt she would have “slut shamed” any female housemate who acted the same way. Not suggesting that she should either. But it was a good episode!

I did love Glenn’s eviction a lot, probably partly because he really didn’t seem to think he was going. But I will also agree it probably went too far. I love Gretel but her man hating ways wore thin at times, she was much more understanding of Jo two years earlier despite Jo not being single like Glenn, and I very much doubt she would have “slut shamed” any female housemate who acted the same way. Not suggesting that she should either. But it was a good episode!
I think the difference would be that Glen openly talked about playing the girls in the house where as if the roles were reversed I doubt a female housemate on would brag about their conquests.

I think the difference would be that Glen openly talked about playing the girls in the house where as if the roles were reversed I doubt a female housemate on would brag about their conquests.

Yeah that’s true. And I guess if a female was open about such a thing she actually would receive even more hate than Glenn, although possibly not from Gretel.

Yeah that’s true. And I guess if a female was open about such a thing she actually would receive even more hate than Glenn, although possibly not from Gretel.
I don’t even think she was that nasty to him tbh… IMO she spoke for the viewers and let him know that he came across as a bit of a douche. As for brining Michelle out I’m not sure whether that was her idea or productions. That was really where it crossed the line… At the end of the day the eviction interview is about the evictee and not really time to put the spotlight on someone else.

The guy had recieved over 50% of the vote in a 5-way eviction vote and I don't think was really showing any remorse for what he did. The Michelle bit was a bit Jerry Springer-y but there's a portion of the fanbase that would've wanted to see that first interaction on tv.

The guy had recieved over 50% of the vote in a 5-way eviction vote and I don't think was really showing any remorse for what he did. The Michelle bit was a bit Jerry Springer-y but there's a portion of the fanbase that would've wanted to see that first interaction on tv.
Gretel asked him a few times if he’d do it all over again and he said yes… If that’s not showing remorse I don’t know what is. Personally I think things might have been even better if they’d saved the reunion for the nominations show and he’d have had more time to let things sink in a bit.

Gretel asked him a few times if he’d do it all over again and he said yes… If that’s not showing remorse I don’t know what is. Personally I think things might have been even better if they’d saved the reunion for the nominations show and he’d have had more time to let things sink in a bit.
Interesting - I interpreted what he was saying as though if he could do it all over again, he'd do the same thing, it wasn't that big of a deal to him (at least not until Michelle came out on stage and he realised the crowd was on her side). Which would not be showing remorse.

Interesting - I interpreted what he was saying as though if he could do it all over again, he'd do the same thing, it wasn't that big of a deal to him (at least not until Michelle came out on stage and he realised the crowd was on her side). Which would not be showing remorse.
Reading my comment back it looks like I'm disagreeing with you but that's not what I intended... I meant that he said he'd do it all over again which shows his lack of remorse.

To me he very clearly didn’t have remorse at the time. It was probably a very natural and normal (to him) way of thinking and something he was around all the time that he didn’t even see anything wrong with it until it was pointed out. I’m sure he has matured since then and reflected back, who doesn’t have mild remorse and shame for how they acted at that age after so much time has passed?

Glenn for a potential BBAllStars vs. Newbies Season 2? haha. OTOH It would be really interesting if they did like an 'Anti' casting of really random choices from each season, like some of the early evictees, or Intruders that didn't get focused on particularly (Lauren BB2006 for example who was only there for like 3 days in the middle while both Perry and Darren stayed on and had a few moments).

I rewatched the Farmer Dave dummy spit vs. Perry on an upload that's stuck around from back in 2006 in pretty decent quality recently. Oh noooes... She thinks he's PLAYING THE GAME *clutches pearls* haha jks. but also she did keep trying to have a circular discussion. Maybe Perry was secretly trying to get David to have that reaction and 'PLAY THE GAME' lol.... Strategy.

To me he very clearly didn’t have remorse at the time. It was probably a very natural and normal (to him) way of thinking and something he was around all the time that he didn’t even see anything wrong with it until it was pointed out. I’m sure he has matured since then and reflected back, who doesn’t have mild remorse and shame for how they acted at that age after so much time has passed?
That’s how I interpreted it. He showed no remorse but I am sure as hell he grew up to eventually do so. Had he been older I would have been a lot more disgusted. I am in no way saying I think his behaviour, comments or attitude is acceptable but I’m not gonna lie its not something that I’m absolutely appalled by in comparison to other situations. If he was to be roasted as hard as he was it should have been done on the nominations show. I just think the whole eviciton interview was more Gretel’s opportunity to voice her opinion.

There was none of this towards Jo years prior as well as Marty, but yes I do agree with @Kingston in that Glenn gloated about it and paraded as if Michelle was just another notch in his belt and showed zero remorse after being made aware of what the audience had seen. Gretel wasn’t too nasty to him but she was extremely passive aggressive towards him but at least at the end of the interview she still said you’re a fabulous housemate let’s look at your time in the house. I just contend that an eviction show should be about that specific person. If you’re gonna bring Michelle in do it on nominations or uncut, not his interview. But really he was gonna get hounded for it regardless or not if it was done on stage with Gretel.

Other than my thoughts on it from an ethical perspective its still entertaining and memorable. I like that Gretel was so easily able to express her views with the housemates. It is more fun when unpredictability moments occur. I just think it would be hard for a 21 year old to be thrown into that situation, but them again yes he did bring it upon himself.

TBH I’ve never understood his appeal and why he is so popular in the fandom. Nothing about his hosting style or narration stood out enough that made him so irreplaceable. Gretel on the other hand I can understand why people are so attached.
Yes - I think he's a decent narrator but in front of the camera I've always found him a turn off - a cliche of what a TV presenter shouldn't be.

Gretel was outstanding at her best but the manhater (and perhaps even people hater) routine ruined her last few years. Liking people helps alot when hosting a show like Big Brother and whilst yes, the exit interview should be to an extent about holding behaviour to account I think it's important to reflect that even with the out and out baddies there are always two sides to peoples personalities and you should not just concentrate on the negative, especially when they've put the negative on show for your entertainment.

This is my favourite thing about Gretel. Here is a group of people having a discussion about her with varying opinions. And I think that’s the best part. Whether or not you agree with her or not, she’s still provided us with a topic of conversation and I think that’s great. The fact this show had a host who divided opinion and in a polarising manner has sparked reason to discuss her beyond just her hosting ability.

That’s the key difference between her Sonia. Sonia is cookie cutter host material. In terms of what she provided on Big Brother, there’s not really much to discuss. She didn’t have any moment where we can honestly all get into debates about her. Gretel offered the opportunity to discuss her whilst Sonia just gave us reason to complain.

This is my favourite thing about Gretel. Here is a group of people having a discussion about her with varying opinions. And I think that’s the best part. Whether or not you agree with her or not, she’s still provided us with a topic of conversation and I think that’s great. The fact this show had a host who divided opinion and in a polarising manner has sparked reason to discuss her beyond just her hosting ability.

That’s the key difference between her Sonia. Sonia is cookie cutter host material. In terms of what she provided on Big Brother, there’s not really much to discuss. She didn’t have any moment where we can honestly all get into debates about her. Gretel offered the opportunity to discuss her whilst Sonia just gave us reason to complain.
Out of all Reality TV hosts, Gretel will always be the one that sticks out because of this very reason. The only others who may come close are probably Davina McCall & maybe Emma Willis. From her witty comments and riveting discussion that were brought on by her rather controversial opinions. I feel sorry for her in the fact that she was so crucified under scrutiny by the mass media and forums for simply starting rather preogressive, “ahead of the times” conversations.

I'd have to rewatch but I think Sonia did go a bit more in depth with the Tully 2013 and Lawson 2014 (although Cat went some weeks earlier and it was only his side we hadn't heard from yet wasn't it, and he was the one with the 'relationship' whereas Tully went first out of her and Drew to bear the brunt of it) eviction interviews.

in particular on a slightly more serious note on how it was being perceived and dominating discussion on the outside, although not quite to the extent of the crowd reaction of say Merlin's protest or bringing Michelle back out onstage at Glenns IIRC and the way Gretel handled those.

Back