Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

I hated her my first watch. I found her to be irritating as irritating could be. I still don't like her on this rewatch but I wish she stayed longer too purely for the entertainment. She is so strange. She comes across as psychologically unwell. I just can't believe this woman actually was on this show.
Yes Rachael is the main instance where there was a failed duty of care and the focus was more on what someone could bring to the show more than whether it was responsible to do so. She obviously didn’t get the acting career she was aspiring towards but I do hope she is in a good place now.

The other day I went in a bit of a mini Rabbit hole of some 2012 clips, Namely 3 separate one on one 'discussions' between Ben and Bradley, Ray and Ryan. Mostly long monologues by Benjamin (over the glass of water at Bradley incident) a in depth response by Ray peppered with the phrase 'Nom Noms', and I'm not sure exactly what the gist of the one with Ryan was over out of context. Haha.

Yes Rachael is the main instance where there was a failed duty of care and the focus was more on what someone could bring to the show more than whether it was responsible to do so. She obviously didn’t get the acting career she was aspiring towards but I do hope she is in a good place now.
I definitely agree. There is no way this woman would have passed the psychological testing before hand, she coped very well given the circumstances but it seems they were more interested in her reactions being good TV over her own wellbeing. Growing up as abuse victim would be horrible and it's no wonder she had some strange tendency's in the house. She made fantastic television and I do wish she stayed longer, but yeah this is the point where Big Brother is no longer the serious psychological experiment it was when it started, it's being heavily treated as a glorified sex show. I wouldn't say Australia is the only country at fault of this although, the BBUK7 cast is full of people who normally wouldn't be cleared to participate.

She made fantastic television and I do wish she stayed longer, but yeah this is the point where Big Brother is no longer the serious psychological experiment it was when it started, it's being heavily treated as a glorified sex show.
Especially 2005, There was also that whole awkward bit with Rachael basically flaunting herself in front of Tim in the Rewards Room.

Of course it backfired when Uncut crossed a line for some in the public being investigated by ACMA over the Scat fetish segment, which led to them retiring it during 2006, and some people misremembering it as being because of the Turkey Slap being the final straw for risqué content, when in fact Adults Only was taken off a couple weeks before, because of the outcome of the investigation into the 2005 complaints.

Just some thoughts now that I am almost halfway through 2005.

-Glenn really did screw himself with one small comment and then deciding to give all the women chores. He went from potential winner to dead man walking. He got absolutely hounded on the nominations show by Gretel and Michelle.
-So many of the evictions so far have been extremely close between two people each time. And I am finding that I would have preferred the evictee to stay, again highlighting my dislike for vote to evict.
-Gretel is not really that aggressive this season but that is largely because it's all women being evicted so I am sure she is worse to the males as per usual.
-The three point twist was a fun addition, but I think it would have been had the housemates not heard the nominees and the FNL was the only one who knew who was saved or who wasn't. But ultimately it doesn't really impact the seasons too largely.
-This group is REALLY horny. There is so much going on in uncut, easily the most in all five seasons. I do find it funny, I would kill to have watched this in my teens or twenties when it was airing.
-The tasks are a lot better than the previous years, the masters and slaves one is probably my favourite task of all time and it is where Vesna is fantastic. Her constant complaining is almost so over the top its too hard to not laugh. But you gotta feel sorry for her too, she articulates her defence of her complaining pretty well it's funny how the complaining is so over the top.
-The Logan boys are so much more boring than I remember, Logan David speaks probably all of 5 times in the first 50 days of daily shows.

Overall really enjoying it so far. I will make an early guess and say this will probably land as my favourite season unless I really enjoy 2007, 2012 or 2013 on the rewatch.

I will add something I have never actually picked up on before. A comment I saw on whirlpool that said; "I'm more surprised about dreamworld's association with big brother. dreamworld markets itself as a family destination and i think through this association and the time-slot given to the daily show people assume that big brother is family-friendly." (This was in regards to a discussion about Uncut).

This has never occurred to me before and is an interesting point to bring up, as well as with lots of reading online finding out that many children were watching uncut. IMO thats the fault of the parents, if a show is on at 9:30 and is being advertised as MA15+, then it's up to the parents to control what their kids are watching. In today's world though it would be all too easy for kids to go online and watch uncut. But it does interest me to know how dreamworld felt about uncut potentially having an impact on Dreamworld's name? of the main theme parks in GC I see dreamworld as the least appealing to adults so it is a wonder how they felt about being attached to such a raunchy show.

Another one of my favourite moments at 11:00. Christie is a master and Geneva is a slave and Christie repeatedly buzzes Geneva just to tell her really small things like "smile" "sorry accident".

Glenn really did screw himself with one small comment and then deciding to give all the women chores. He went from potential winner to dead man walking. He got absolutely hounded on the nominations show by Gretel and Michelle.
Surely that massive bogan dick loser was never in contention to win. Blergh!

Also thinking the slaves and masters task wouldn't be done again today. You couldn't have someone of indigenous background (for example) seriously expected to play slave these days.

Also thinking the slaves and masters task wouldn't be done again today. You couldn't have someone of indigenous background (for example) seriously expected to play slave these days.
Good pick up. I think a lot of scrutiny would come from seeing minority groups playing the role of slave. The wording may have to be tweaked in order for it to be politically correct, maybe employee and boss?

Ah this topic makes me so sad that the adult show on GO never eventuated to anything in the 2012-2014 seasons. The fact there was someone as attractive as drew and there’s no uncut content is just a tease.

So continuing on the discussion of uncut (or to use this forums words "cocks") on the Day 51 uncut special Gretel interviews one person who is for uncut and one who is against. She raises a point that I strongly agree with and that is are/were people offended by the nature of uncut for it being shown on television/Big Brother, or are they uncomfortable with it being part of the reality? Let's not bullshit we know teenagers are engaging in sexual behaviour from younger ages than what most parents are comfortable with. I see no reason to shield them from these types of material for reasons such as; they may already be well aware of the content in the discussions, they may be curious and want to explore sexual information but feel embarrassed to ask parents or even so they're going to come across it anyway. Trying to shield young people from these topics is completely futile.

Back