Skip to main content

BBAU Rewatch

Lawson 2014 (although Cat went some weeks earlier and it was only his side we hadn't heard from yet wasn't it

Lawson went first on day 57, Cat went out with Aisha in the double the next day. All were casualties of the week where everyone was nominated.

If there was anything Sonia did that did lead to audience discussion, I wouldn’t know. I actually stopped watching 2014 around when Cat and Lawson were evicted.

Lawson went first on day 57, Cat went out with Aisha in the double the next day. All were casualties of the week where everyone was nominated.

If there was anything Sonia did that did lead to audience discussion, I wouldn’t know. I actually stopped watching 2014 around when Cat and Lawson were evicted.
oh you're right, it was that close together. Another one like misrecalling Joel being in the Final 3/4 of 2007 (was evicted week before) I had a fuzzy memory mix-up moment on recently.

I'm rewatching Tully's eviction now, Sonia did not go all in, she just asking very generalised questions off the back of 'oh well you were the most trending on twitter EVERYONES been talking about you..." and just letting Tully talk, and even delivers a special goodbye message from Drew and that pretty much it.

😂
That’s a relief. It was disheartening to read that your boss said Gretel was “cruel”.
lol I re read my post and was like oh dear. Nah he said she was cool when he got to speak to the crew and cast. Just that Mike Goldman was just an arrogant turd at the after party. Just really sleazy apparently and full of himself. Heard the same thing from the 2020 finale.

Last edited:
Yeah just re-watched the relevant portions of those 2013 and 2014 evictions, its night and day, could be a couple of factors in play; the amount of time between the evictions of the parties and portion of a double eviction timeslot (and in 2013's case its right next to the finale for Drew), ;

Tully blurring her definition of her sexuality and relationship which made it awkward to try and tackle what her relationship with Drew was becoming in the house on the other hand, the level of focus on that aspect in the house storylines between the two seasons and on the outside in the media etc.

The 'GF on the outside' basically not addressed at all with Drew and Tully (only indirectly that Tully was 'Trending' because of 'something'), but becomes nearly the entire focus of Lawson/Cat's evictions.

Sonia still keeps the mood light throughout though as in 'now there's going to be some tough questions, how will you handle that?' and everything kept pretty conversational even a few jokes thrown in. 2014 also had the 'Audience questions' that added on top of it.

Last edited:

Heath's interview with Gretel at 35:22 is so funny. He took on her criticism so well and really blindsided her with responses. I think she liked the flirting he did with her, she doesn't really ever laugh with housemates of his archetype when she interviews them. I don't think she expected him to be so animated when interviewing him and she's a bit thrown of guard. An uncle of mine claims to have been mates with Heath and said apparently Gretel and Heath slept together after the show. He told me this years ago so I might be remembering wrong, but when we were watching Big Brother one night he said something to me like "my mate was on this show and shagged Gretel".

Up to Day 71 now and getting closer to the end. I forgot that in the 3rd quarter of this season most of the men were voted out one by one. And then in week 11 theres literally a 5-2 split between girls and boys. The 2005 set of intruders is probably the best set of all of them, they each added to the dynamics of the house and allowed for new storylines to form. I forgot how irritating Rita became and how boring Mel is, but yet it allowed for a fun argument between the two because of how different they are. I am so excited to see Dean evicted as I cannot stand him, the whole argument about Tim telling the girls about the reverse kanga prank was so childish.

For context for those who do not remember; Dean had an idea to do a reverse kanga on the female toilet seat until one of the boys was caught. Tim however relayed the plan to Kate and then she told the rest of the girls. Dean was embarrassed about his prank being exposed and went off at Tim and called him untrustworthy. Dean got exposed and had a sook about it, it was also really embarrassingly funny watching him speak with Tim and he was so obviously confused by how well spoken Tim is and he probably didn't understand the words he was using. Dean kept resorting to "you keep saying the same point" where really I think he just didn't know what Tim was saying.

Last edited:
An uncle of mine claims to have been mates with Heath and said apparently Gretel and Heath slept together after the show. He told me this years ago so I might be remembering wrong, but when we were watching Big Brother one night he said something to me like "my mate was on this show and shagged Gretel".
I don't know if it was shown on an earlier Uncut but some of the stories he was telling Glenn about on the Uncut Finale as a tradie doing house calls to various women sounds plausible, but who knows lol.

Just watched the double eviction. Losing Rita is a bit of a double edged sword, she caused the housemates great mental pain which was fun to watch but she was unbearable in a lot of the daily shows. Christie going though just kills everything the rest of the season had to give. Had it not been for Vesna (who it looks like this week, going off the whirlpool comments, gained immense popularity thanks to Rita making her look perfect in comparison) I would not be interested in finishing. Expanding the series to 100 days is an interesting concept as it confused them all when Gretel said "you know how you all think you're hear for 2 more weeks? Well this is not the case".

But at the same time it drags the season out a bit too much. There doesn't need to be a whole week dedicated to the final 4 or 3. Obviously this whole issue gets fixed from 2006 onwards. I will say I think channel nine actually deals with this better than the ten series, where you have the final 6 in the last week and they are systematically whittled down to the final 3 (although this is obviously borrowed from BBUK). But Week 6-11 of BB5 are probably the strongest weeks of BBAU so far.

Also, the twin eviction, unnecessary IMO. To a feeble minded viewer it appears to be a way to cut down the number of housemates in time for the finale, when in reality, as the Logan twins represent one housemate it does not matter if there is one or two left. It literally did not matter if there was a twin eviction or not as it didn't impact placements at all. If the Logans continue as one the double occurs as normal, as does the week 12, 13 and 14 evictions. Having David there may potentially have led to fans evicting the twins before Vesna, but based on the rumours of how the twins won I also doubt that. So really it was just a pointless excuse for a live show. Maybe production became aware of the advantage it gave the when they kept winning FNL and the other housemates were repeatedly saying it was unfair that theres two of them.

Last edited:
Up to Day 64 of 2002. Would’ve liked to have already been on 2003 but I did celebrate my birthday on Monday so I had a big of jetlag and also this season being quits flat. Honestly, from Turkan’s final week to Nathan & Alex’s eviction was the most entertaining and even then that’s still a slight overstatement.

Even though the bedroom situation and the rebellion of the task was petty and high school behaviour equivalent to year 7. It was still probably the most fascinating thing to watch go down. It’s quite bizarre how Turkan leaving had such a shift in dynamics in terms of friendships and groups.

Hoping to finish this season in the next couple days and write up my review. P.S love reading all your other dissertations on where you lot are at :))

I’m watching a puppet show… um- this season has truly derailed
TBH 2003-2005 aren't that much better at maintaining interest in the final weeks. BB3 had the final 3 all write a speech or something about themselves or write a song? I can't remember. And BB4 they had to write a summary of the season and BB5 they had to make their own dubbed film and it was sooooo boring. I'm excited to get to 2006-onwards where the last has around 5-6 housemates left in the final weeks.

TBH 2003-2005 aren't that much better at maintaining interest in the final weeks. BB3 had the final 3 all write a speech or something about themselves or write a song? I can't remember. And BB4 they had to write a summary of the season and BB5 they had to make their own dubbed film and it was sooooo boring. I'm excited to get to 2006-onwards where the last has around 5-6 housemates left in the final weeks.
I can only imagine idk why they did that. But I think it’s also because the dynamic between the remaining housemates is so devoid. On my 2007 rewatch exactly 6 years ago, I remember that season being more satisfying and I guess it gave them the chance to inflate the number of people casted into the 20’s. Which I also enjoyed in a way. Just speedrunning the last 2 weeks atm. Just wanna get to the good part.

How Jess didn’t make the final 3 is what makes the actual final 3 and the season in general feel so incomplete. As much as I completely understand and generally agree with the discourse on Peter winning. I feel that Jess & Marty being in the final 3 with either Peter/Sahra taking the other spot would’ve made sense from a narrative perspective.

How Jess didn’t make the final 3 is what makes the actual final 3 and the season in general feel so incomplete. As much as I completely understand and generally agree with the discourse on Peter winning. I feel that Jess & Marty being in the final 3 with either Peter/Sahra taking the other spot would’ve made sense from a narrative perspective.
the final 3 is so strange for 2002. All three of them are so different from each other and weren't involved with each other, it just made the series feel incomplete.

Smashed through the last 2 weeks of 2002 and about to start the massively lengthy finale. I’ll probably be posting my thoughts on the series and the housemates throughout the night/early hours of the morning. If not definitely tomorrow. So excited to finally feel like I’ve gotten through BBAU.

Almost finished BB5! The last three weeks seem really pointless to watch. Other than Kate's homophobic comment on uncut there isn't really anything groundbreaking or game-changing happening. The All Stars FNL was fun, the price fight for FNL is also fun I do like when Gretel comes in and I also did like Nadia going in. Vesna cracking it during the chain task was really funny. Hoping to finish tonight and start BB6.

My thoughts on the 2002 season. So this took me 19 days watch through. Even longer than last season. It wasn’t completely ass, but it definitely had a massive fall from its predecessor. I found it quite ironic that production was very much “make this house your own” when at best it was incredibly mediocre. But at its worst it was… an extension of ‘01. The house was mostly the same in terms of layout. Which did make it a pain at times. Being someone who actively started watching from 2012 onwards. I was used to the house changing every series. All that changed was; the backyard looked more like a glorified swamp, the walls had different colours and they had rats instead of chickens. I will say though I’m happy the diary room became an actual diary room and not just a chair and a microphone. The video quality did make it hard to endure at times. From about the 3rd week to the double eviction was probably the season at its best.

I feel like this season suffered the “sophomore slump” didn’t quite live up to the first series. Which understandable, housemates knew what they were getting into and maybe seemed more conscious of the fact that they’re being watched. But the main overall reason why this season felt like a flop… is because of the cast. The dynamics between them are merely a small fraction of the ‘01 cast. I didn’t relate nor care for many of them. The major storylines didn’t serve much purpose, a lot of it was hooking up. Jessica & Nathan are probably the only two fully memorable people from this series. Before watching, I only knew of Jess, Marty & Nathan and are the only ones who will probably stick out to me.

There were aspects I did enjoy apart from the terrible casting. The nominations show was a great upgrade. Seeing more of Gretel was always pleasing considering it replaced the Saturday show with some aspects still being used in the Monday Noms. Her witty humour and way of communication never failed to entertain me, she felt much more comfortable in her role and played around a bit more. I enjoyed how Big Brother felt more of a character in terms of being authoritative and constantly roasting people for their shit nominations (one reason in particular being them wanting to give Turkan an exit).

Also, there are things in which fell very flat. The intruder twist with them living in their own “Big Brother” twilight zone was intriguing. But then again, we didn’t really see much of the intruders. They felt like a side project just kinda forgotten. I would like to assume if I was live maybe we could see more of them. But really it just came down to their VT’s, clips from the location and Carmel Hill’s evaluation of them. I didn’t like that we didn’t see them all go into the house. I understand that were never the case, but it just leaves them kinda in, kinda out. Whilst there’s this buzzing “what if…” looming around.

The furniture setting up was very inconsequential to the series. They could’ve really turned the whole theme of “make this house your own” into a commodity idk how. But it left me feeling like production was rather lazy or didn’t have enough time lol. The idea of “big ones” was okay but it was 2002. This wasn’t an idea that really enticed many. I’m sure if this was done later on, it could’ve been done creatively.

The boot order was what made the season more agonising to watch. Even though they’re were people that I didn’t personally enjoy watching. At least they made some sort of impact. The final 3 was almost trying to mirror its predecessor of a girl and two boys one of which is quieter and the other more boisterous. But this final 3 was so out of order. It was the equivalent of a randomly assigned group at uni. They’ve all seen each other, but not really any connections. Peter & Sahra’s storylines are next to nothing and Marty’s was basically from Jess. As much as the finale usually gives me jitters, just mainly because of the vibe. It doesn’t negate the feeling of “meh” I got from this series.

I will post housemate thoughts soon x

Have now finished BB5 and just straight to the point, I loved it. It has aged the best of the first five seasons I've watched so far and I truly believe if this went to air today it would rate. The change of casting to sexy singles was a massive hit in my eyes, it allowed for the housemates to be more carefree with their behaviour as they mainly have themselves to worry about and also more showmances which did cause more drama when necessary. The cast was pretty amazing, everyone did contribute and everyone had an impact in some way. Multiple people hogged the screen time and I don't think too many people were overshadowed. I appreciate the show just embracing Big Brother's tarnished reputation to some degree and flipping off BB critics by making uncut more and more full-on despite the public upset. The house design was cool too, I liked the addition of more rooms and it did start to look more like what I know a Big Brother house to look like.

This season is so much faster-paced than its predecessors. From week 1 there are relationships forming, drama brewing and chaos erupting between almost everyone. As a 21-year-old it is fun to watch other 20-year-olds get drunk and have fun which makes it easy to relate to a lot of the conversations and happenings within the house. The alcohol intake seemed to increase and so did my enjoyment. It's just overall a lot of fun. The tasks were better and everything internal about the series assisted in its fast pacing. Uncut was the main thing I enjoyed, it was so raunchy compared to BB2-4 so it was a lot more fun thanks to Christie and Vesna. Most of the housemates on this I would say are pretty much drunk, horny bogans. And a lot of the housemates remind me of people I know in my everyday life (which is a bit of an insult given I just called them all bogans) so it was very easy to warm to the cast.

Friday night live also makes its debut and I do like it. For people my age the first thing a lot of us think of when we think Big Brother is Friday Night Live. And yes whilst that is probably not an ideal thing to hear associated with Big Brother, it does make me happy to know there is an element of the TEN version that is still remembered by younger people. Bree and Fitzy I feel do work well with Mike, I think the three of them have chemistry on camera and it just works. I wouldn't hate the idea of the hosts alternating between past housemates throughout the season if this was done today but yeah, they just work so I can see why they stuck with the three of them from beginning to end. FNL does make it hard on a binge as it's essentially adding almost 80 minutes of extra content right before eviction, nominations and uncut. So on a binge, it's a bunch of 20 minute daily shows followed by hours of live specials and repeat 14 times.

The three-point twist is interesting, it does allow for louder characters to have the chance to survive and does increase the risk of nominations and broadens it to more than just the three loudest characters, but it rarely had much of an effect as people are going to just be evicted when they're going to be evicted. If the audience hates you, you're gonna get voted out regardless of when you face eviction. I also think it would have been better if the housemates didn't know the initial nominees and if the FNL winner was told the nominees in private in the DR and then the entire house just hears the new nominees without knowing what changed. The fines system was pretty funny, Vesna had some hilarious reactions to them and it did create some form of conflict and had an impact on how they behaved, but it also led to a lot of cop-out nominations which I see as a flaw due to production obviously wanting to push housemates to nominate people on personal levels rather than cop out reasons. And the twin twist just flopped on its own. Given how identical Greg and David AREN'T, they were never gonna pass anyway but it ended up working pretty well in their favour as they were rarely nominated and they could pretty much just coast as far as they could. Off the top of my head, I think they happen to hold the Australian record of longest time spent without facing a public vote, not being up for the vote until Day 72. So yeah, the twin twist flopped compared to the BBUS5 attempt.

There are elements of the season I however do not particularly like, the liar's eviction and twin eviction were just excuses for a live show to me. I've already spoken about the lying about relationship situation, it was unnecessary and if production truly did care that much about it then the two would have been ejected and Dean would have not been allowed into the house. Interviewing the housemates about it in the diary room when they already know who it was just screamed staged to me. And like I said before, the Twin twist was just a waste of time when the twins are still counted as one. Evicting a twin just ended up being redundant and probably assisted in vote campaigning. In all honesty, as well evicting one of the twins in the same week as a double hurt the pacing of the last three weeks due to having three of the more confrontational figures all leave in the matter of half a week.

Now onto my biggest issue with the season which is the bloating of the season to 100 days. I am not opposed to a 100 day season but I am also not opposed to the show being shortened as well to approx 10-11 weeks. The last three weeks were just super boring to watch, it ended up taking me a week to watch them. The storylines are all over by that point and the ending is pretty much determined from there, and when Big Brother has to get them to perform a play, that just goes to show how desperate they are for content. The show didn't need to go on for that long but I do understand that they did it for shock value and I guess in terms of live viewing it is fun to have the show air for as long as it can. I do think it was silly however to evict the housemates so quickly towards the end. Why bloat the season to just have five for the final three weeks? The double could have been delayed so much longer and a final three would have been so much better with Vesna potentially winning.

But I did genuinely enjoy this rewatch a lot. I would go as far as to say it is probably my favourite season? I think it's aged really well in terms of how watchable it is and the cast is just really fun. Gretel is also really great, she isn't too aggressive even with most of the men. Just like last season, she is just really assertive to the audience but who cares. I like to see her stand her ground and also develop on this Jeff Probst type level of passion for the show. She really did work her ass off and you can tell how much effort she put into this even off-camera, they don't make hosts like her anymore. So whilst the end result is not perfect and the last few weeks are slow, I do think this season is really strong. To me, it looks like this is where BB seems to shift to a strictly younger audience as opposed to the everyday Australian target that the first season tried to aim itself at. But in a realistic sense, BB will always be a show that is mainly watched by younger viewers whether anyone wants to accept that or not, that is just how it realistically is and it is how the show has had to and in future will have to produce itself around for the most part. It is at this point in the rewatch starting to feel like a different show with a big focus on in-house drama, over-dramatised storylines and one-dimensional edits of contestants rather than showing them as complex characters talking about their lives. So whilst I do have some faults with BB5 they are pretty nit-picky and overall the series is really strong, and if there is anyone here reading unsure if they should rewatch a season I would recommend this one, despite the fact the season is unlikely to be represented in BB2022.

Housemate thoughts incoming!

Back