Skip to main content

BB/CBB UK - Rewatch discussions

I think many housemates that year were polarising - they were liked and despised in equal measure.
This is partly why I like watching BBLB and Big Mouth as well, you can get a general feel for where the public was at through the call ins, celebrity guests, roving reports to various public places with the diary room chair duplicate etc, and the often rowdy audience and impassioned discussions on Big Mouth.

I think Late and Live now could get a bit more entertaining and go to another level sometimes if it were allowed to get a little bit more off the cuff as some of the Big Mouth episodes I've been watching did! Haha.

But you certainly get another layer to what people were seeing or sometimes some extra insights between the lines when they mention some things they've seen on the streams between daily shows too, or general things from the time happening outside the house that I can remember happening at that time too. Gives it a bit of background on the publics thoughts.

Yes - if they were weekly perhaps worth it but frankly although I watched BBLB when I could I never really bothered with EFourum/Big Mouth - one spin off was more than enough.

Curious how does Big Mouth compare to BBBOTS/BBLL? I was watching BBBOTS at one point but gave up on it because I couldn’t get past the feeling that I was being spoon fed opinions.

It was probably more audience led than panel led like it's successors but like BOTS it suffered from basically having regular studio audience members who never had anything better to do.

It had it's moments but considering how much of a BB fan I was at the time I never felt it to be essential viewing.

CBBUK4 Day 14 (Just finished second eviction, Big Mouth and Live Special episode)
  • Big Mouth: Caption comp is now ‘Caption Sensible’ and the sms one is ‘Text Poll’.
  • A little more on Jodie being very candid about sex talk and her wild nights out in some of her packages (of its time music choices btw of Hung Up and Sorry from Madonna’s COADF album just freshly released) which I think was a side that was reinforcing her outside perception a little bit as well to George and the others as a typical ‘page 3 slapper’ (as was a bit of the perception of the Paris Hiltons, Britney types etc of the time whereas nowadays we view them in a different light due to their behind the scenes and stuff IYKWIM), but OTOH there being a bit of a sexist, archaic, and double standard angle and overreaction to the way they then treated her (which Pete does have some reflection on in the diary room, but has now moved onto Rula and Chantelle as sources of annoyance and ‘not his cup of tea’).
  • It started to be rehashed a little bit (and I might leave some for her housemate reflection write up at the end) but some interesting last points for the moment on Jodie, on BBLB Jodie explained a bit more about why Michael kept saying ‘well leave the country then’ - because (albeit under much more serious and intense circumstances) thats how he dealt with things - fleeing the UK to go to New Zealand.
  • And theres been at least a lot of support for her and the way she was treated on the outside now, Germaine Greer (CBB3) appeared on Big Mouth in her favour, and on Jodie’s own appearance she said in a way ironically her going on the show she hadn’t been able to change peoples perceptions had it just been the bad arguments about fur, the sex and drinking talk, and the pity party, but it was the way George, Michael and Pete piled on her that was able to, so something good out of a rough experience.

• Moving on, Traci gets a bit of a challenge to win something for her Birthday celebrations, retrieving Skulls from a gloopy obstacle course.
  • Maggot has started to get a bit more focus, popping up with some diary room thoughts and interacting with the group in the edit a little more.
  • They all dress up for Traci’s Birthday party - only Traci ends up locked in the bedroom and cant attend until its Saturday The 14th. Given the party begins after the eviction, it’s not too long she has to wait to join in. Preston’s birthday party is on the Monday, dressed up like the mob or rock and roll. Some dancing ensues.
  • Jimmy’s Saville’s drop in is a two parter, the Housemates all write him a ‘Fix it’ letter, He returns the following day with some gifts, Including a video message from Pete’s boyfriend, and Dennis gets given a voucher for a ‘pampering hamper’ which he isn’t impressed with, and campaigns with Pete for BB to swap it for more cigs and coffee. Pete threatens to walk as he’s getting fed up, but is talked down by George and Michael and BB allows Jimmy to have one final ‘fix it’ giving them what they want. Convenient.
  • Theyre recycling popular tasks from the preceding civilian season again - The Cardboard box task is back. George’s political side comes out as he attempts to get them all to agree on a winner so they don’t have to stay under the box all day - give it to Rula as shes been a bit teary and upset all morning. It later come out that Rula is given the ‘Pants Of Power’ to wear up to the nominations, giving her the power to nominate one other Housemate other than the 2 that are up. She nominates Pete up against Dennis and Faria.

• There’s a lot of talk about Preston and Chantelle getting too close and how his girlfriend must feel, or is it totally innocent and he mucks around with her like a sister as he says? Theres some questionable hand on ass placements and hugging when he was a bit drunk one night after spending all day defending himself to the others and in the diary room, that have been picked up by the others.
  • Similarly Dennis and Faria, with more flirting on his behalf and Faria protesting if she likes him or likes him likes him.
  • George plays a round of ‘You Say, We Pay’ on Richard and Judy via call in to the dining room Screen to win the housemates shopping budget. He had to describe the word without saying the word on screen.
  • They’ve started the polls for the Kandy Floss Audtionees on BBLB and done a makeover lookalike between Maggot, Preston and Chantelle. The Maggot one won, which I agreed with the most lookalike.
  • A few more ex housemate’s familiar faces appearances on Big Mouth: Helen (BB2) phones in to Big Mouth on Day 12 about the relationships forming, Craig (BB6) was on recently too. and Christine Hamilton, Derek (BB6)’s friend, and Science (BB6) on the phone for the racial discussion
  • Traci is starting to get on some of their nerves. Michael and Pete were mimicking her accent one morning in a playful way, Rula is talking to George about trying to converse with her, unbeknownst Traci is laying on the bed in the corner and awkwardly gets up and walks out the room.
  • Later She is talking to Faria and Dennis about the Eviction. Faria implies something along the lines of an asian or black person would have a hard time winning a show like this the way the British Public is. Dennis says that he was brought in ‘for Colour’ and they both misread that as race when he meant ‘entertainment, spice and flavour (personality) Traci then brings this up with the others, causing some heated exchanges between her, Dennis and Faria, and the others feeling a bit offended at being accused of voting racially. they later all clarify it wasn’t a racism accusation. Again like the term ‘Fight Night’ being used prematurely in BB4 on BBLB News to the one that later more comes to mind famously, Russell refers to this as a bit of a ‘Race Row’ on Big Mouth.
  • Eviction. Davina wears the Pants of Power for a moment for the Fanfare. It’s Faria out, she gets a bit of booing from the crowd but has a good interview.
  • Theres a live special at midnight after the 2nd eviction with Davina where George and Preston get punished for noms talk. They are called to the diary room to nominate 3 housemates next for eviction - whilst unbeknownst to them its played on the Screen in the dining room to the others. They nominate Traci, Maggot and Rula. They are told by Dennis that it was played live when they came out.

Onto next few eps!

Up to Sophie's eviction on Day 36. As she exited to the crowd there were "Get Jade out!" chants. I guess this is the first occurence of it? I also am really struggling to understand why Jade is considered so legendary. Did her status occur outside of the house? Because at the moment she is just an irritiating uninteligent 21 year old.

Up to Sophie's eviction on Day 36. As she exited to the crowd there were "Get Jade out!" chants. I guess this is the first occurence of it? I also am really struggling to understand why Jade is considered so legendary. Did her status occur outside of the house? Because at the moment she is just an irritiating uninteligent 21 year old.
Oh, that's how I viewed her at the time and indeed most the public did too. Perhaps a case of so much hatred out there for her people became more defensive of her, and perhaps the first realisation that an irritating annoying housemate can actually add good value.

Oh, that's how I viewed her at the time and indeed most the public did too. Perhaps a case of so much hatred out there for her people became more defensive of her, and perhaps the first realisation that an irritating annoying housemate can actually add good value.
Makes sense. I'll explain more when I write up, but she's like a very poor version of Sara-Marie. I've read about her before and i Knew she was perceived as dumb, but I thought it was in a Reggie sort of way. But no. Not in that way at all. I understand now how she comes last in the finale.

I think she was seen as a cheap imitation of Helen too. BB3 was paired with Graham Norton's chat show when it aired and he often did sketches which often mocked Jade, but think his opinion changed too and IIRC he attended her eviction. She was often on the front pages too (think one headline was"Jade the Pig") and think as the Murdoch press (of course) vilified her others began to counter that.

Jade was probably the first time the issue of how reality contestants are treated was really raised and it's probably thanks to the treatment of her the early protocols were initially put in place to try and support them post show.

I go on about this all the time too but she's probably a good example of how letting the house get to a small number of HMs changes the show and indeed perceptions of housemates. Those that hate each other in the early weeks have to communicate with each other more as the numbers dwindle and usually find they have more in common than they don't - and of course at that point the shared BB experience which 6 weeks in matters much more than their outside life.

Last edited:
Yes the headline on one of the trash tabloids was ‘EVICT THE PIG’ which is unthinkable now.
With a picture of Jade sitting on the sofa’s naked and drunk. Or at least that’s what I remember.

BB3 was my first venture in to the world of international BB. I didn’t even have a computer at the time so I was limited to a quick going over the official website or sirlinksalot during my hour of computer time at the public library.

After the initial shock of the UK still using the original format was the coverage the show received.

My comments in another thread got me watching some Nikki clips…

I think Modern BB could learn a thing or two from how this rule break was handled. Rather than throwing people in jail and blasting their misdeeds to the rest of the house the punishments should be proportionate to the misdeed and be tailored to the person being punished. Telling Nikki to be silent was pure brilliance 👌🏼

If I am have to be bruttally honest I am struggling to finish BB3. I'm up to day 50 and have two weeks to go but finishing it feels like such a chore. I just don't really care that much about it tbh. I know the results so there is no anticipation and I just don't feel that strongly about the cast. I feel like the season's high ratings don't actually reflect the season's quality but were high due to Big Brother exploding in populalrity at the time. This season is just not that great on a binge. I would imagine it was huge to watch it live, but I have no sentimental value for it nor any nostaglia. And I am worried about BB4 as everything I have ever read about it has said to be boring.

Stick it out - it's only a couple of nights viewing and they do up the fun. BB3 did suffer from not having the weekly task to carry the duller weeks.

I suspect BB4 actually holds up better, especially if you didn't enjoy BB3. I think it might appeal more to BBAU fans than BBUK fans.

Stick it out - it's only a couple of nights viewing and they do up the fun. BB3 did suffer from not having the weekly task to carry the duller weeks.

I suspect BB4 actually holds up better, especially if you didn't enjoy BB3. I think it might appeal more to BBAU fans than BBUK fans.
I can probably finish it by tomorrow if I set aside the time. And yes I so agree re the tasks. It could have helped the weeks become a lot more fast paced. At this stage I am waiting for nominations/evictions ep to keep me interested.

When is it that episodes become 45 minutes rather than 22?

In BB5 they split the difference at around 35-38 minutes, but regularly get extended to 45 mins. In BB7 they become 45 mins (the full hour with ads). The series also get longer - BB5 is 10 weeks, BB6 is 11 then from BB7 it's 13 weeks.

I found the trade off between the Saturday Live task and the weekly task fun in BB3, it also had the added element of playing into the middle weeks where the Rich/Poor side was in play.

BB4 they go back to having weekly tasks plus retain the Saturday game/task for a specific separate reason, and again in BB5. They stop doing it live as its own show though about midway through BB5 and play it during the daily, Although in BB6 I recall them doing something on a saturday as an extra little mini task that would be played during the daily iirc.

I think its BB5, I remember BB4's dailies still being around 22 mins I think. Definitely by BB6 and CBB4 which im on now they are 40-46 ish mins long.
Oh okay, BB4 doesnt seem so daunting then considering it's only 20 minutes. I am very excited to watch BB5, I started it ten years ago but never finished it. BB6 and 7 I have watched and am excited to revisit as I loved both of them. I also do look forward to seeing how the later years on 4 were like as I have watched close to nothing of them.

Back