Skip to main content

BB/CBB UK - Rewatch discussions

I assume BB7 will remain my favourite. But I do love BB2. I watched BB6 up until Vanessa's eviction in 2019 and I did enjoy what I watched. Not even sure why I didn't finish it as the series was great.

curious to know, when is it that the crowd starts booing and cheering when Davina announces the names of the evictees? So when does everyone's public reception public knowledge to the housemates? Or was it started in the channel 5 era?

Nice BB2 write up! Yeah I think if they were at the point of shaking up the nominations process on the regular like a lot of weeks in BB6 for example, BB2 might possibly have been a little more wild at least in that regard, if they had an all up week for instance, I also pondered during my watch where our 2pts 1pt system came from and if it mightve tweaked some different results during this BBUK season.

But OTOH it could have still played out similar, It just happened that BB2 was totally head to heads, there were no ties forcing multiple nominees, and a multitude of things could have happened if it wasn't Paul continually up, or he had gone on his 2nd or third repeat nomination, etc. It was entertaining to watch on one hand on an initial watch-through, but also looking back there wasn't a whole lot of variation to it (His only week off was the Josh Vs Helen week) and it also saw Dean and Elizabeth sail right through to the final week without ever being up for eviction and somewhat predictable contender Brian was also never put up before the vote switch to vote to win either.

I agree Penny was a bit eclectic, you should check out The BBLB episode they bring her on during Stuart's co-hosting week with Dermot for a reunion - super awkward TV.
curious to know, when is it that the crowd starts booing and cheering when Davina announces the names of the evictees? So when does everyone's public reception public knowledge to the housemates? Or was it started in the channel 5 era?
Theres a moment in early BB6 where this comes into play and is a bit of a talking point for the house. Davina then the following week makes a point of getting the crowd to cheer every nominees name to kinda counter that and mess with them a little bit.

As for the Crowd noise, they play the crowd sounds into the house to down out the actual noise except when theres Davina's cross I think, but as you can see in BB3 the top of the staircase isnt shut off from view and at least some sound barrier from the outside, so when the doors open for the evictee, they can quite clearly hear the cheers/boos more than subsequent seasons I guess.

BB4 and BB5 IIRC they are locked in the main house area and the stairwell (BB4) Entry corridor (BB5) are enclosed, I remember a few times in BB4 they then run to the windows to try and make out the boos/cheers over when the fake crowd noise starts back up, and In BB6 the lounge area is outside but the doors are open for the evictee to then walk back through the house to the enclosed stairwell, so they have a bit more open air I guess to try and hear it but its a little further back.

CBBUK4 Day 9 (Just finished first eviction)

• BBLB: Yeah Its Jackie (Stallone)! she was back on a phone call on Little Breakfast.
  • They failed the task, mainly cause of Pete and Dennis not doing the talking to their plant thing properly and Faria abandoning the spinach cart. Rula and George doing the ‘animal language’ role play was something else (a bit weird) then talking to the Goldfish.
  • John McCrirrick and Makosi (BB6) on the same episode of Big Mouth!
  • Another bit of an argument between Michael and Jodie/Chantelle over leaving the corn for the vegetarians if they are getting more chicken/meat to last them.
  • Ah its Jodie that goes. Bit of a bummer, but otoh it wasn't really getting any easier for her in there apart from having Chantelle's company mainly, the way Michael was carrying on, George and Pete had kindof written her off as well. They kept telling her to listen, but otoh its a bit hard like her friend said on BBLB not to try and defend yourself when they are constantly on her back with a lot of the time IMO, nonsense tangents, Like Michael after that bit with the vegetarian tiff, just kept goading Jodie and mocking her ‘this is what you want! Attention from the cameras!’ and dancing around like a pork chop LOL. I was shaking my head like come on. Haha.
  • As if things cant get any more bizarre, Guess who’s coming for a visit (and made a stage cameo at the end of the eviction)? Its Jimmy Saville! Jon Tickle voice: “ooh controVERSIAL” (Although not at the time) its going to be a bit Rolf Harris/Bill Cosby to watch this knowing what we knew after.
  • Big Mouth was on after the Eviction. Vanessa Feltz is on.

Onto next few eps!

For BB1-4 the announcements are done in the studio so the crowd aren't heard and aren't even on site for unless the actual eviction. From BB5 they switched (wrongly IMO) to doing the announcements outside amongst the crowd, though a couple of later series they do switch back to doing them inside, noteably BB9.

I don't want to spoil BB3 for you but there is one eviction there where the booing culture really begins - and like so many after them it's baffling really why they got booed in hindsight, though think there was a bit of Helen type situation of having a relationship inside and outside the house, although of course Helen never ever got hate for that. I do think in those first couple of years the excuse the booing was all panto was valid, but it certainly turned nasty a couple of years later and those who try and pass it off as "panto" nowadays are just trying to justify their own irational hatred.

Right, so it's more of a Ch5 thing I guess? I prefer it without the booing, it feels much more like the BBAU I know. I just feel letting the crowd react with too much freedom kind of destroys the whole no contact with the outside world and lets the housemates in on too much.

Oh yeah that’s right, BB3 (and possibly 4?) don’t think there was even the small audience in the studio for the initial announcement, it’s not until the 2nd part when Davina still does the ‘I’m coming to get you’ (and in BB4 this comes with a bit of a stage gimmick to look out for) that the studio audience is there iirc.

BB5 she does it from the platform, housemate comes out and then she does the usual walk back to studio (although they do experiment with doing the interview on the outdoor stage before the finale a couple times too).

Yes - BB4 was by far my favourite eviction set up at Elstree and the only one that attempted to recapture the spirit of the original house, something that was noticeably missing in BB3. I wish they'd maintainded that moving forward - even if they still had an outside stage but by the studio rather than the house. Design wise too they also nailed the warehouse look far better than the pretty awful BB3 studio.

Another thing I think might be unique to BBUK is how the host does not really interact with the housemates outside the eviction announcements. In BB1 there were a few platitudes from Davina in the crossover and she'd speak to them at the house gates during the eviction but after that it became much more formal and we never saw the host just crossing to the house for a chat, whether on the sofas or in the diary room. That's something ITV2 have stuck with too.

Last edited:
I know several spoilers of this season which does kind of suck, but I did enjoy the first few episodes of week 2. Drama is already occuring and this is probably the first series where the cast members are disliking each other for longer than a day and carrying it onto nominations.

I know Alison goes this week but how in the actual fuck does she go over both Alex and Sandy? That makes absolute zero sense to me and I cannot compute how she did not stay? She was sooooooo likeable! I want to watch more of her and Kate. Alex surviving can only be attested to him being sexy. But how the fuck did Sandy beat Alison? I'm still two daily shows away from the eviction but i seriously do not get this.

Funny that she is a second boot but has one of the biggest careers of all BBUK housemates.

I know Alison goes this week but how in the actual fuck does she go over both Alex and Sandy? That makes absolute zero sense to me and I cannot compute how she did not stay? She was sooooooo likeable! I want to watch more of her and Kate. Alex surviving can only be attested to him being sexy. But how the fuck did Sandy beat Alison? I'm still two daily shows away from the eviction but i seriously do not get this.
Its an extremely close knife point percentage (like 0.08 of a percent) between her and one of the others. (I'll let you find out who) ;)

and yeah Ive seen a few clips of Alison on This Morning, kinda gives me Chrissie Swan vibes a little bit how she's bounced from BB into presenting.

Its an extremely close knife point percentage (like 0.08 of a percent) between her and one of the others. (I'll let you find out who) ;)

and yeah Ive seen a few clips of Alison on This Morning, kinda gives me Chrissie Swan vibes a little bit how she's bounced from BB into presenting.
oh wow, for a UK eviction too that is really close. Very frustrating to see that. I assume some people were just body shamers and racist.

Also, I know that eventually they stop revealling the percentages of the nominees outside of the evictee, but where do the reveal the evictee's percentage in the later seasons? In BB7 I never saw them revealed but I know they're uploaded onto wikipedia. I suppose they were revealled on Big Mouth?

Yeah could be many reasons, Alison being the only girl up that week, being a bit loud and in your face, Maybe Sandy had a bit of support being the token Scot, or Alex fans saw her as the opposing target, since at that time he was chummy with Sandy and iirc wasn't she one of the main sources of his annoyance that week with the whole peeing in the shower admission drama that he nominated her for? lol

Yeah could be many reasons, Alison being the only girl up that week, being a bit loud and in your face, Maybe Sandy had a bit of support being the token Scot, or Alex fans saw her as the opposing target, since at that time he was chummy with Sandy and iirc wasn't she one of the main sources of his annoyance that week with the whole peeing in the shower admission drama that he nominated her for? lol
Was alex popular? I know he placed third (I think) and he is heavily remembered by fans, but in a vote to evict season I am struggling to see how he manages to last the distance. He's definitly a unqiue figure and a major contirbuter to arguments and tense drama. But is he popular because he is hot? Or is it in a kind of way where the viewers found his personality ammusing? But yeah, being the only girl also could have been the case as well. Wow, the 2000s are a lot darker in hindsight than I remembered them being in my childhood looking back tbh.

Also, I know that eventually they stop revealling the percentages of the nominees outside of the evictee, but where do the reveal the evictee's percentage in the later seasons? In BB7 I never saw them revealed but I know they're uploaded onto wikipedia. I suppose they were revealled on Big Mouth?
Sometimes Dermot will mention them on the Sunday BBLB when he's doing BB News or introducing the evictee for their first chat with him for the week 'They got blah blah percent of the vote...'

Oh okay, I see so they were loosly revealed thereafter.

Have just started watching the eviction show. And now I see what happened. Davina revealed that Alex was on 39% Alison on 37% and Sandy 24%. Production must have wanted Alex to stay and Alison ended up getting Estelled (a whole decade before Estelle even got Estelled).

Was alex popular? I know he placed third (I think) and he is heavily remembered by fans, but in a vote to evict season I am struggling to see how he manages to last the distance. He's definitly a unqiue figure and a major contirbuter to arguments and tense drama. But is he popular because he is hot? Or is it in a kind of way where the viewers found his personality ammusing?
Looking back at my notes, He's pretty high strung, irritable and catty at this point but soon you'll see him settle down a little bit with certain forced dynamics of the housemates and become a bit more likeable and daresay have some entertaining moments. Maybe some people also wanted to keep him around to have his dad keep popping up on BBLB he was kinda funny and stuck up for him a lot. Haha.

Looking back at my notes, He's pretty high strung, irritable and catty at this point but soon you'll see him settle down a little bit with certain forced dynamics of the housemates and become a bit more likeable and daresay have some entertaining moments. Maybe some people also wanted to keep him around to have his dad keep popping up on BBLB he was kinda funny and stuck up for him a lot. Haha.
I presume you are referring to the rich/poor divide that I know occurs in week 3. But yes right now he is very irritable and is spending all of his time with Sandy. I can see why people would find it entertaining though. And I do know later on he has his iconic scene of him stripping/getting changed behind a door to the song That's the Way (I Like It).

I think many housemates that year were polarising - they were liked and despised in equal measure.

I think many housemates that year were polarising - they were liked and despised in equal measure.
i can see that. I don't think I've ever gone into a season of Big Brother and not had a favourite by week 3 yet. I guess maybe Alex is my favourite? But I do like Kate. And at the moment I don't really see the whole fuss about Jade tbh.

Back