Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2016) - Episode 17 Discussion

Sam calling Nick a "snake in the grass" at tribal does not meet the definition of bullying behaviour. I feel like he was just taking out his frustration re the alliance on Nick because Nick was the one that spoke up.
Agree - arguably "bullying" would not be making those statements at the event designed to showcase those grieviences. And I think people need to remember the situation they are in - there is little real in the world of reality TV, a world where people playing the game can be perceived to be the worst possible thing anyone could do when people play the game. And Nick was playing the game and no doubt Nick would have taken a shot at Sam if Sam hadn't got in there first.

I think the only thing Sam is guilty of is being a bit stupid really and unlike Nick not quite understanding how indeed to play the game, as evidenced in the tribal beforehand when Nick really should have gone but Sam blurted everything out forcing Nick into using his idol.

Survivor season 33! I forgot it's on finally tonight. From TV Tonight (though I'll believe those starting times when I see them):

The grandaddy of all reality shows returns on Nine. 10pm Thursday (Syd / Bris). 10:30pm (Melb / Ade / Per).

Survivor season 33! I forgot it's on finally tonight. From TV Tonight (though I'll believe those starting times when I see them):

The grandaddy of all reality shows returns on Nine. 10pm Thursday (Syd / Bris). 10:30pm (Melb / Ade / Per).
Oh good. I've never really got into the US versions until well into the series and haven't seen one for years, so will give it a go tonight.

Oh good. I've never really got into the US versions until well into the series and haven't seen one for years, so will give it a go tonight.

...thanks for reminding us Melore... and I'll watch it too just for the curiosity value methinks... I don't know whether I'll get too embroiled in it until our version finishes though to be honest... cheers.

Reactions: kxk

never know where to put this stuff...

Just read some good news, also. They will play two episodes back to back the following Thursday night, meaning we'll be caught up with the US screening times and can engage in the discussions on the Survivor: Millennials v Gen X thread.

...I agree with all of what you said Lindsay1973... I liked Nick... he was so interesting to watch for me... Production will see him being the first one in 'The Jury' as a godsend... he's a talker... that's what they need... he likes to manipulate and he likes revenge... I wouldn't be surprised if Production made sure that he was first out to be honest... let's face it... if it was Sam or Matt for example they wouldn't have a show would they?... they are as thick shit and have such limited vocabulary just to mention two things... as I said... they've struck gold with Nick being the first one out in my opinion... cheers.

I don't think they manipulate that way like they do in big brother,that's someone they would have wanted through to the end,can you just imagine his speech at the end.The ones that get remembered are those that play the game not the floaters...El who's that? Matt who's that? we remember the Phoebe's the Nicks they are the ones that make the show interesting...people who actually went to look for idols,not people who formed a mean girls alliance or a popular people alliance and floated their way through to the end

...thanks for reminding us Melore... and I'll watch it too just for the curiosity value methinks... I don't know whether I'll get too embroiled in it until our version finishes though to be honest... cheers.
you should go back and watch some of the others shows,Russell Hantz one of the most hated players ever but boy was he interesting to watch and very good at the game

and parvarti as well

Russell has a small and still dwindling support group of adoring fans. Everyone else on the planet hates his guts.

I think it's more a very vocal smaller group of people who hate his guts as you say. No doubt he was shown as an anti-hero or villain character, but that's often better than the rather tedious hero cliche fakery you get from a few, like Rupert for instance. And those who are just quiet like Sandra often just completely bore me, they just wait in the wings until the gameplayers are gone.

...when you watch a great movie it is often the people that play the villains that have the best and most memorable roles... whether they really are villains or whether they are just being portrayed as one on Survivor doesn't really matter to me... I just go on what my observations and likes/dislikes are with that particular person... I don't particularly like Brooke or Flick just because they are being portrayed as the 'mean girls' by Production and if they win well good on them but I can still dislike them and admire them for winning it at the same time too... I hope that they don't and would like Sue or Flick to win it now just to piss them all off to be honest lol!... but then that's just me lol!... cheers.

Russell was on survivor a long long time ago. None of these players are true villians that lie, back stab and create chaos just for fun. Mostly they are hapless like Kat or desperate and playing from the bottom like Kate.
The mean girls are just smug and annoying.

You know, I'm so glad we have this forum and the posters here. The comments on facebook are mind-numbing. Most seem to be people tagging other people to look at a post, no intelligent analysis of the show at all.

You know, I'm so glad we have this forum and the posters here. The comments on facebook are mind-numbing. Most seem to be people tagging other people to look at a post, no intelligent analysis of the show at all.
Hate it when people do that. I wish there was a way to filter out Facebook comments with no actual comment. Wonder if that's an idea for an app?

There's also a thread on Whirlpool. Although there are a few annoying posters on there.

Russell was on survivor a long long time ago. None of these players are true villians that lie, back stab and create chaos just for fun. Mostly they are hapless like Kat or desperate and playing from the bottom like Kate.
The mean girls are just smug and annoying.

Nick was portrayed as a snake but all he really did was lie when he had to (when he gained the idol), advise on splitting the vote a couple of time (standard gameplay) and find another idol.

Phoebe was portrayed a little as a villain in that she turned against Kristie to preserve herself and she found an idol. But both her and Nick were more underdogs trying to survive.

And the mean girls as people call them are meant to contrast to the 'good guys', yet it's hard for me to see what's so great about these supposedly good guys.

The confessionals often try and characterise contestants in particular roles. Brooke does get these comments about having the guys under her control and how she is generally controlling things. I might not even mind that much if it looked like she actually did, but I'm not that convinced still.

Sometimes when you do get a good 'villain' who takes out all the bad gameplayers it's satisfying and that's been seen on the US version. The audience can share their point of view and know their plans and so even kind of identify with them. So ego in those circumstances is justified and it can even be thrilling to see someone's plans come to fruition.

...just another dumb newbie question on my part... does Survivor ever have 'Intruders'?... just curious... cheers.

Back