Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2016) - Episode 12 Discussion

the point is, she's adaptable, which is something you need to be in order to survive on Survivor to get to the end. It seems that a lot of players haven't got that.
She's adaptable but she's also strategic and bold enough to take action.
When Sue gets to the end because she's an old lady who has a good attitude, it will have nothing to do with her being adaptable.

...this being my first Survivor I can only imagine how much fun it's going to be when they are all just one tribe and have to look after themselves only... there must be a lot of friendships and alliances go out of the window when that happens?... I can't wait for it... there's probably going to be so many double-crosses that we probably won't even be able to keep up with them I imagine?... lol!... cheers.

So who do you respect? Who else has been under constant pressure and survived tribal after tribal?

She's good at scrabbling and finding other people's idols. If it wasn't for that she'd blend in with the girls on the other tribe.

Craig played a good game until tonight. Kylie plays a great physical game, but hasn't got the social aspect down.

She's good at scrabbling and finding other people's idols. If it wasn't for that she'd blend in with the girls on the other tribe.

Craig played a good game until tonight. Kylie plays a great physical game, but hasn't got the social aspect down.
It wasn't Craig's Idol, because he couldn't find it. And tonight indicated that it's not that Kylie doesn't play a good social game, the tribe she's in are still in High School.

The poor woman is probably crying out for some adult conversations.

It wasn't Craig's Idol, because he couldn't find it. And tonight indicated that it's not that Kylie doesn't play a good social game, the tribe she's in are still in High School.

The poor woman is probably crying out for some adult conversations.

I'm totally Team Kylie and I agree, it would be impossible for her to connect with those girls even if she wanted to. I just hope she can make it to the merge and find some allies there.

I think some of you are being a bit dismissive of Phoebe saying she's only survived by luck or that she hasn't made some genius moves. Sure luck has been on her side when she got Rohan to give his to her (which still involved a bit of game play on her part) and when she found the new one. You ought to remember that tonight was the third tribal council since Rohan was voted off and she's managed to survive two out of those three times by manoeuvring to oust someone else rather than relying on her idol. Which IMO is a good effort considering she's been on the outside of Vavau since she joined (remember she was the target of the tribal council that saw Rohan eliminated) and that she's been facing an alliance with a high number advantage up until this stage.

How she plays now will be vital for her. I stand by my opinion that she has a chance of bringing Kate or Conner into her fold by convincing them to abandon a dying alliance. But from the promo we saw it looks like she might be about to shoot herself in the foot by throwing Kristie under the bus so she may very well go next time. However her possible departure next time still doesn't take away from the fact she's done very well to survive four tribal councils and not just by relying on idols.

Kylie is probably going to win. But i donr understand why some people don't see Phoebe as an underdog who has fought her way back. I thought Australians love an underdog?
I admit I'm confused by the reaction to Phoebe.

Sue is coming across as a bit of a bitch actually
I am Phoebe fan, why do most of you hate her? Girl is feisty, and I like her dishevelled look
Agreed. I've warmed to Phoebe (why do they persist in spelling her name incorrectly at tribal) and think she is plucky, feisty and thinking on her feet more so than Sue. While I'm at it, would the challenges be set well beforehand and tough luck for the lesser physical team(s) or are they being set to play on the vulnerabilities of the aforementioned team(s)?

KATE is probably going to win. But i donr understand why some people don't see Phoebe as an underdog who has fought her way back. I thought Australians love an underdog?
I admit I'm confused by the reaction to Phoebe.

I don't know either. We do love an underdog but we also have a thing called tall poppy syndrome here which I think is coming into play. We're happy to support someone but when they start getting too good or too big for their britches we want them cut down to size.

PS: You made a mistake so I fixed it for you. :D

Also if I were Conner or Kate I'd be thinking of the long term too at the next tribal council. Vavau is almost extinct whereas Aganoa still lives on in spirit. Phoebe and Kristie may be able to resurrect old friendships with Lee and El which could be advantageous when we're down to one tribe.

The idols don't belong to anyone but the person who finds them. It was t Craig's idol - he just happened to find a clue at the "merge" feast. She and Rohan found the idol together if you recall and he agreed that she would have it, but went back in his word.

I think that some people just dislike Phoebe for some reason I don't understand. It isn't related at all to the exceptional way she is playing the game. She is one of the best players I've seen and she has been fighting on her own for a long time.

I get it if people don't like her but negating how well she is playing just baffles me.

I don't know either. We do love an underdog but we also have a thing called tall poppy syndrome here which I think is coming into play. We're happy to support someone but when they start getting too good or too big for their britches we want them cut down to size.

PS: You made a mistake so I fixed it for you. :D

Ah, we don't have this tall poppy syndrome here. It's a shame because I would hate to have to fight that. Sounds like an odd prejudice aimed at keeping people down or in their place. We have it a little with the old idea that girls shouldn't be good at math or science, but that has been fought against pretty hard.

She's hanging on by her fingertips in this game and she's fighting hard and well.

Ah, we don't have this tall poppy syndrome here. It's a shame because I would hate to have to fight that. Sounds like an odd prejudice aimed at keeping people down or in their place. We have it a little with the old idea that girls shouldn't be good at math or science, but that has been fought against pretty hard.

She's hanging on by her fingertips in this game and she's fighting hard and well.

Yeah it's an interesting quirk of our culture and sort of hard to explain to outsiders. It's not really about keeping people down but could be described as wanting to keep people in their place, but without the malice if you get my meaning. It's because we're a pretty egalitarian nation. This quote from a journalist over here via Wikipedia is pretty spot on IMO.

'(Australian) citizens know that some among them will have more power and money than others... But according to the unspoken national ethos, no Australian is permitted to assume that he or she is better than any other Australian. How is this enforced? By the prompt corrective of levelling derision. It has a name—The "Tall Poppy Syndrome". The tallest flowers in the field will be cut down to the same size as all the others. This is sometimes misunderstood...It isn't success that offends Australians. It's the affront committed by anyone who starts to put on superior airs.'

I think that some people just dislike Phoebe for some reason I don't understand. It isn't related at all to the exceptional way she is playing the game. She is one of the best players I've seen and she has been fighting on her own for a long time.
I don't care for her. I didn't care for her before she was an underdog, and her becoming an underdog hasn't changed that. What happened today was due to pure good luck finding an idol and playing it at the most obvious time. Any idiot would have done what she did in tonight's ep. Is she a great player? Meh.

Yeah it's an interesting quirk of our culture and sort of hard to explain to outsiders. It's not really about keeping people down but could be described as wanting to keep people in their place, but without the malice if you get my meaning. It's because we're a pretty egalitarian nation. This quote from a journalist over here via Wikipedia is pretty spot on IMO.

'(Australian) citizens know that some among them will have more power and money than others... But according to the unspoken national ethos, no Australian is permitted to assume that he or she is better than any other Australian. How is this enforced? By the prompt corrective of levelling derision. It has a name—The "Tall Poppy Syndrome". The tallest flowers in the field will be cut down to the same size as all the others. This is sometimes misunderstood...It isn't success that offends Australians. It's the affront committed by anyone who starts to put on superior airs.'

I guess that's why the reaction to her completely baffles me. It's like we are from different cultures or something. lol.

She wouldn't be a fan favorite here either because she doesn't seem likable but I do think even casual viewers might recognize the superlative game she is playing. Maybe not.

Reactions: kxk
I don't care for her. I didn't care for her before she was an underdog, and her becoming an underdog hasn't changed that. What happened today was due to pure good luck finding an idol and playing it at the most obvious time. Any idiot would have done what she did in tonight's ep. Is she a great player? Meh.
It's like we are watching two different shows.
I'm giving up. My view is she is one of the best players I've seen play. None of it is simply luck.

If anything, she has had terrible luck, getting on the terrible tribe with two former tribe members who are among the worst players ever.

I'm willing to bet there isn't another player as good as her in the next 4 seasons of Australian Survivor,if it lasts that long!

Last edited:
It's like we are watching two different shows.
I'm giving up. My view is she is one of the best players I've seen play. None of it is simply luck.

If anything, she has had terrible luck, getting on the terrible tribe with two former tribe members who are among the worst players ever.

I'm willing to bet there isn't another player as good as her in the next 4 seasons of Australian Survivor,if it lasts that long!

Ha! It's like a tame version of the forum split we experienced over Ben Norris from BB.

Well I must be getting my beauty sleep so I'll see y'all tomorrow for another (possible) instalment of Vulva goes to Tribal Council. Must say I'm really enjoying watching and discussing Survivor with you all! It's helping fill the void left by BB. :D

Back