Skip to main content

Australian Idol 2023

Enjoyed tonight's show...but geez they are way too long! I only have so much time that I can devote to tv shows...and I'm struggling to keep up with things that I want to watch.

I agree. I have been so excited for this but decided to watch Survivor first and Idol catch up. Last night I just needed to go to bed and I don’t know if I’ve got time to watch it tonight because that would be idol survivor then idol again. Too long!
I'm just not hearing these singers the way the judges are.
Modern music has mutated into a kind of mess. Don't worry about sticking to the melody, put your own spin on it!
That 'Skinny Love' song is awful imo and the girl singing it was barely adequate.

I think they will sound better once they get on the stage with the full band. I am enjoying the simplicity of the lack of produced sound in the auditions tho. They are doing it ‘right’ imo.

I agree. I have been so excited for this but decided to watch Survivor first and Idol catch up. Last night I just needed to go to bed and I don’t know if I’ve got time to watch it tonight because that would be idol survivor then idol again. Too long!
I chose to watch Idol first, then MAFS and then Survivor. I've watched every Idol ep and am two eps behind in MAFS...I haven't even started on Survivor yet as I just don't have the time...and it looks like I'll never see it because I will probably move on to whatever is offered next.

I chose to watch Idol first, then MAFS and then Survivor. I've watched every Idol ep and am two eps behind in MAFS...I haven't even started on Survivor yet as I just don't have the time...and it looks like I'll never see it because I will probably move on to whatever is offered next.
I watch Idol live simply because it's the easiest one to have on in the background while having tea, it requires no concentration.
Then I watch Survivor, my favourite of the three, and catch up with MAFS the next day.

aka Seven are desperate for publicity.
Anyone who listens to the Kyle & Jackie O show is probably already an Idol viewer anyway, just for Kyle,
(I certainly don't, but am guilty of giving them a click by watching that on facebook),

Just got back from a live taping of Idol. I know I’m not supposed to say too much due to the NDA but it was fantastic imo.

Plenty of usage of the theme music, some really good performances (as I suspected better / bigger sounds with the full band) although sometimes in the room sounds better than it is portrayed on TV. Even some of the judges comments I thought didn’t really match up with what we were hearing but I guess they get a cleaner feed of the vocals in their earpiece.

It was filmed as if live which I think is excellent. It shouldn’t be edited weirdly. They shot from start to finish even with 4 min ad breaks.

The stage is very nice 🤩

Huge audience. I’m no good with numbers but I’d say well over 1000.

I think I’ve said it before but I think it’s a little ironic to be filmed at Rooty Hill when Mark Holden used to use that place as an example of where bad karaoke singers perform as opposed to idols lol.

Speaking of Mark, they have a “touchdown twist” I think I’ve read it has been announced elsewhere so I don’t think I am breaking NDA. It’s a cute little throwback and I guess they plan it to be like the golden buzzer moments on AGT but it was a little flat if I’m being honest. I don’t think it massively impacts the end result also.

After seeing this I’m even more keen for the final 12 onwards live shows!

Ricki-Lee is absolutely radiant in person and on screen. She is the perfect host for this. Scott seems like a nice bloke but definitely takes a back seat to Ricki.

Also I thought it was interesting. They were advertising (on stage screens during breaks) for people to audition for next year. 🤔

Last edited:
Will be interesting to get your thoughts on the episode when it airs. Suspect the editors won't be able to help themselves.
Yeah. And to be completely honest they did pre record some audience reactions. Sitting down applause, standing applause, the oh my goodness looks etc. But I don’t think splicing that into reaction shots makes much of a difference. People in the audience are *encouraged* to give basically every contestant a standing ovation.

Man. I’m just watching now. Marcia is the best.

She’s giving the other judges a masterclass on how to be an idol judge. 7 really dropped the ball not getting her back properly.

I’m really digging HCJ less and less. He’s a bit of a Debbie downer.

Well it was always likely to wrap up before Easter, though with ratings as they are they might as well push the final into the supposed "non-ratings" period.

Well it was always likely to wrap up before Easter, though with ratings as they are they might as well push the final into the supposed "non-ratings" period.
i think it's rather sad that it's not rating well...personally, I'm loving it. It's uplifting...happy times, sad times but overall very entertaining for me.

Loved tonight's show and the editing...I thought it was good that we saw one or two singers perform and then be judged...worked for me.

I got enthused once the "top 50" started. Hated the way they did tonight's edit. Just wanted to see them all sing at least part of their songs and then get cut or through. Wish they had Marcia fulltime instead of that Amy Shark. Also heard her say the other night that the winner would be crowned in 6 weeks, which did my head in as the logistics are incomprehensible. I really like Sash with the golden hair and that country guy Damian's voice.

Back