Skip to main content

Episode Aus Survivor Blood v Water: Ep 16

…remember the glory days of this show and Big Brother?… now they’re both total shit!… and just like Ed still shuffling his cards for ‘the big move’ on Big Brother… Dave will still be waiting to do his ‘big move’ in 10years time… what a spineless dickhead!… cheers.

It's funny, because even though this is for the most part the most boring cast ever assembled, it is the most wonderful location and I am enjoying pausing and marvelling at various shots of greenery and waterfalls and amazing overhead views of unusual landscapes...

I wish we knew something more, any bloody thing, about the thoughts and strategy if any of people like Jordan or whoever. They just get voted out and I have no idea. That Jay geezer, for example. It's like their whole personality is edited to be 'partner of X, brother of Y'. Plus ridiculous number of blokes of a similar age whose names begin with J, so I can only recognize them (vaguely) by their hairstyles...

Meanwhile, endless shots of Mark striding through strands of bush or floating in a river, looking like a cartoon version of a rugged cliff top. Or Sam, 'Mark's wife' in the captions, haha, nervily poking around looking like a needy fieldmouse...

I thought, in the first episode, God this is a bit of a boring cast... But assumed they would spring to life or 'emerge' later in the edit...

Last hope is Jordie burns it all down and somehow goes the whole way, or Chrissy gets to the end and wins against the mountain and the mouse.

Edit to add: or Shay does something...but I am still a bit dirty on Shay for orchestrating the needless ousting of Amy that led to the bloke-heavy alliance's domination in the first place.

…it makes me wonder… when the Producers come up with these whizz bang ideas to ‘improve or spice up’ the show… do they go to a Kindergarten to ask the children what ideas they have?… because that’s how they treat us… when these Producers train for the job are they trained to be complete morons?… with the original formats of these shows when they first begin… if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it!… idiots!… cheers.

…it makes me wonder… when the Producers come up with these whizz bang ideas to ‘improve or spice up’ the show… do they go to a Kindergarten to ask the children what ideas they have?… because that’s how they treat us… when these Producers train for the job are they trained to be complete morons?… with the original formats of these shows when they first begin… if it ain’t broke then don’t fix it!… idiots!… cheers.
I am glad it is not just me. I thought maybe I have changed and can't like what I use to love before. BB I gave up long ago, but I still had faith with Survivor but not any more, I am not enjoying it at all 🥺 Both BB and Survivor now feel so childish (sigh)

I think after Tim won BB, it changed & after David won Survivor, it was never going to be the same.

Both knew how to play the same & how to manipulate people, without being nasty etc.
…^^ this ^^… cheers.👍👍👍

Reactions: kxk
I think after Tim won BB, it changed & after David won Survivor, it was never going to be the same.

Both knew how to play the same & how to manipulate people, without being nasty etc.

Both Tim and David did something crucial on these shows - they kept the viewers on side by being honest with them and keeping them in on their plans.

Sam is constantly lying to us about wanting to break up the boys, not just do what her husband says, about her bestie etc., even about the idol situation. David would have been laughing with us prior about how he convinced Jesse to give him his idol and how he thinks he'll give it back, which keeps the viewers on side. With Sam all we got was the post-match arrogance where she declared herself to have made a greatest move in the history of the Survivor franchise to blatantly steal an idol and not inform her bestie he needed it. A move is only a move if it's declared beforehand, not in hindsight.

If you're playing the game you need to bring the viewers along with you, not repeatedly lie to them.

Both Tim and David did something crucial on these shows - they kept the viewers on side by being honest with them and keeping them in on their plans.

Sam is constantly lying to us about wanting to break up the boys, not just do what her husband says, about her bestie etc., even about the idol situation. David would have been laughing with us prior about how he convinced Jesse to give him his idol and how he thinks he'll give it back, which keeps the viewers on side. With Sam all we got was the post-match arrogance where she declared herself to have made a greatest move in the history of the Survivor franchise to blatantly steal an idol and not inform her bestie he needed it. A move is only a move if it's declared beforehand, not in hindsight.

If you're playing the game you need to bring the viewers along with you, not repeatedly lie to them.

…gee I wish that I wrote this post!… spot on my friend… spot on!… cheers.

…to quote Brekkie yet again… ”With Sam all we got was the post-match arrogance where she declared herself to have made a greatest move in the history of the Survivor franchise to blatantly steal an idol and not inform her bestie he needed it. A move is only a move if it's declared beforehand, not in hindsight.”… she was an odious nasty piece of work before she did the “greatest move in the history of the Survivor franchise” (her pathetic words… not ours)… but since this statement she has become even more odious… bragging that her betrayal of Jesse was a sort of ‘master move’ is just pure shit… nobody should trust anything she says or does anymore… we as viewers can see that but these stupid morons left on the show can’t see it… they are completely clueless… the dumbest cast ever… they deserve everything that happens to them to be honest…

…if Mr and Mrs Gronk win this I really can’t see me watching this anymore in the future I’m afraid… if the Producers are serving us this drivel this year just imagine what they will serve us next year… it’s like watching one of your favourite actors getting crappier roles as they age to the point that it’s an embarrassment to watch your once hero anymore… such is the way this show is heading methinks… such a shame that it is… such a shame… thanks Producers… thanks for nothing… arseholes!… cheers.

…by the way Kaz… I’ve always loved your Avatar… I find the changing colour of the Iris in the eye to be spellbinding lol!… cheers.

It’s so obvious from the edit who the producers want to paint the narrative about, they don’t even try to hide it. Who else could win this game, like it’s a bit hard to imagine alternative outcomes. Try as you may.

Don’t give up on it Sticky, even if they win, every season of Aus survivor has a different vibe to it and there have been some great characters in them. It’s a great show, sometimes the winner sucks, but what really matters to us is the journey there.

Although the journey isn't that great this year either. Agree though every season has a different vibe and a long running reality show will always have duds every few years. It's when they have duds three or four years running it's a real problem.

I assume the intention is to go back to Fiji next time around, though as an international viewer I much prefer the Aussie locations. There is something quite special about people in a different environment but within their own country. I wouldn't be surprise if they go for another Champions v Challengers series as that seems to be their go to emergency format, but I'd quite like to see a City v Country version with a bit more focus on the actual Survivor aspect. Really though the show needs to break the routine of the two tribe format for a season at least and do something different so the next season stands out rather than is a clone of the previous six, just with different tribe names. And trimming off three episodes, or even just the two, to eliminate the need for non-elimination episodes, would help so much too.

That’s a great point. I was trying to self reflect on why she was dislikable compared to others who might have made the same move and I may have applauded it. Her post about how males would be viewed as opposed to a female made me question myself. But I think this is exactly it. She is trying to claim it as a master move in what appears to be an attempt to come back from being viewed negatively. It didn’t feel like a clever move in the midst of it, I think (and I hope) that if any male (including David) had done it exactly the same I would also feel like it was a bit of a dog move.

That’s a great point. I was trying to self reflect on why she was dislikable compared to others who might have made the same move and I may have applauded it. Her post about how males would be viewed as opposed to a female made me question myself. But I think this is exactly it. She is trying to claim it as a master move in what appears to be an attempt to come back from being viewed negatively. It didn’t feel like a clever move in the midst of it, I think (and I hope) that if any male (including David) had done it exactly the same I would also feel like it was a bit of a dog move.
Ultimately engaging with the viewers may not affect your chances in the jury vote, although a lack of engagement suggests a lack of charm to win over people in person too. David of course did pull, or at least try to pull, a similar stunt with a fake idol back in one of his seasons, I think hoping to swap it for a real idol. Can't remember if he was successful or not but the difference is we as viewers were in on the move from the beginning, and that makes a difference to how you view the player and the season.

Switching to Big Brother and back in BBUK in season 6 we had Makosi who was the first housemate to really happily play with the other housemates and viewers loved her for it as she was giving good diary rooms explaining exactly what she was doing. However the moment she started playing with the viewers too, with a lie about possibly being pregnant, the viewers turned on her. It cost her the goodwill of viewers, her popularity and arguably the series title.

Back