Skip to main content

Episode Aus Survivor Blood v Water: Ep 16

If anyone is watching the latest US season of survivor, like I have? The edgy editing style of the current US franchise is so off-putting. It almost seems like it’s trying o appeal to a public that can’t sit still for 10 seconds. It is filled with close-up expression shots, moving from one thing to the next without any time to build an atmosphere or even see any one thing for more than, say, 5 seconds.

It’s really going down the hole. So even though I have complaints about Australian Survivor, I’m remembering now that it could be worse. The only redeeming feature of the US season is it’s just 1 hr episode/ week, and that’s something digestible. The new season 41 / 42 is to the brim with inane advantages of all different types, to an extent that it’s hard to follow and 1/4 of what you’re watching is players navigate these twists and advantages.

Yes, I've never been able to stomach the US version because of how it's in the manner most US reality shows are - badly! Generally speaking I've preferred the longer episodes of the Aussie version up until this season but there is so much to be said for a tighter edit - there is now often at least one pre-Immunity and one post-Immunity part of the episode which could be taken out as they just go over the same plot for far longer than necessary.

Do prefer it airing around 3 times a week though - for me that gives it more of a "real time" feeling than waiting 7 days to find out what happened over the next 2-3.

Australian Survivor has some issues of it's own to sort out but the answer certainly won't be looking towards what the US have done over the last couple of seasons, and as much as the frequency of hidden immunity idols being a factor annoys me at least it is a constant twist with just a couple of basic variations of it that come into play and are usually self explanatory.

Australian Survivor has some issues of it's own to sort out but the answer certainly won't be looking towards what the US have done over the last couple of seasons, and as much as the frequency of hidden immunity idols being a factor annoys me at least it is a constant twist with just a couple of basic variations of it that come into play and are usually self explanatory.
Absolutely. it is very much possible to know the template of Australian survivor, and play it to your advantage. It was frustrating that none of the contestants even suspected that like in the episode when Nina got medivacced, and could have put their votes on Kahn n got him to play his idol.

Idols are such a huge part of this game, one eg -all the suspense built up whether Kahn would play his idol in the episode when he got voted out, it really was great to watch.

The Aus Survivor template could do with change. Things like bring 3 tribes back. More diverse challenges. One hour episode a week (sorry), and two extra long editions. Make the twist at least somehow more strategic than it is. Shake it up a bit and make the first boot a nom elim. But yeah it’s rigid compared to the US version.

I'd probably have hung up and withdrawn my donation if he answered. :D

Seriously though, who donates by phone nowadays. Online so much easier - that's all these people in the centres is enter your details into their own website anyway, and would you really trust a backstabbing Survivor with your credit card details? UK telethons take most donations by text nowadays so not sure if it's the same with you but it's so much easier.

Back