Skip to main content

Ask Alex 2014 (EP of Big Brother)

Just thought of another question....

This year we saw a former Houseguest from the first season of Big Brother Canada show up in the Big Brother South Africa house. How would something like this be arranged? Also would something like this ever happen on BBAU? I personally would love to see Zach from the current season of BBUSA make an appearance, but I realise that this is just a pipe dream.

I would + this a million times if I could ;)

I wonder how many people will ask "will there be a live feed this year"...

It would be good to know the reasoning behind why there wont be though and what it achieves by not having a live feed. Is it financial issues? Set up and maintenance issues? Privacy issues? Or just the fact Big Brother cannot manipulate the content of the daily show as much?
I can help with this one. :) Alex already answered this question last year.

"Alex Mavroidakis: Despite popular opinion, live streaming the Big Brother House is not viable – economically and ethically. A lot has changed and not just in Australia. Reduced feeds of the House has been a shift globally. We want you to tune in to Big Brother the TV show, not a fixed camera quad split of a house with people lounging about. The website provides short snippets on the hour between 8am and 11pm and we think this is a good replacement in 2013. To all those who think the contrary, well you can’t please everyone.

Behind Big Brother members must remember – you are the hardcore – the purists – I am like you. I want BB on 24/7 all the time everywhere I go. But the fact is that in 8 years we streamed live in Australia practically nobody watched it!

Streaming also carries enormous risk to the production – we all know what happened in 2006 and most will be aware of the scandal that was “streamed” in the US recently. The British series started with streaming this year and has chopped it for all the above reasons."​

From last year's Q&A: http://www.behindbigbrother.com/2013/07/executive-producer-answers-your-questions-part-2/

I personally don't believe "practically nobody watched" the streams, though. He could have done without that remark. I feel like it's a bit of a lie, considering the live streams were plugged constantly on all BB shows during its prime years, as well as heavily promoted by the 3 mobile phone network, and the amount of money the company made when they switched to pay-per-streams in the later years. But whatever.

Last edited:
I can help with this one. :) Alex already answered this question last year.

"Alex Mavroidakis: Despite popular opinion, live streaming the Big Brother House is not viable – economically and ethically. A lot has changed and not just in Australia. Reduced feeds of the House has been a shift globally. We want you to tune in to Big Brother the TV show, not a fixed camera quad split of a house with people lounging about. The website provides short snippets on the hour between 8am and 11pm and we think this is a good replacement in 2013. To all those who think the contrary, well you can’t please everyone.

Behind Big Brother members must remember – you are the hardcore – the purists – I am like you. I want BB on 24/7 all the time everywhere I go. But the fact is that in 8 years we streamed live in Australia practically nobody watched it!

Streaming also carries enormous risk to the production – we all know what happened in 2006 and most will be aware of the scandal that was “streamed” in the US recently. The British series started with streaming this year and has chopped it for all the above reasons."​

From last year's Q&A: http://www.behindbigbrother.com/2013/07/executive-producer-answers-your-questions-part-2/

I personally don't believe "practically nobody watched" the streams, though. He could have done without that remark. I feel like it's a bit of a lie, considering the live streams were plugged constantly on all BB shows during its prime years, as well as heavily promoted by the 3 mobile phone network, and the amount of money the company made when they switched to pay-per-streams in the later years. But whatever.

To me that is just a well versed 'marketing approach' to saying no, we wont do what is actually wanted from us. We use the same approach all.the.time. sounds sincere... "Believe me, we really wanted this too, but there is not enough interest to be able to do <insert request here> blablabla.

It was popular, it was everywhere - and back then most people I knew had dial up internet and still tried to get onto the live streaming. He said the real answer here "We want you to tune in to Big Brother the TV show, not a fixed camera quad split of a house with people lounging about". They want to manipulate the show for max impact, thrash the slightly interesting bits during ad breaks and disappoint everyone when it's nothing special - but they've pulled the ratings in so that's ok!

It's what we need to settle with for CH9. At least if we had more un-edited snippets online, even at a cost, that would be viable for them, and more exciting for us.

/endcynicalrant

Would it be possible to mute the live crowd during evictions and nominations? I don't like a laugh track to my BB.

Totally agree - the crowd reactions to the Daily Show clip packages are so annoying. It makes it harder to hear what HMs are saying when the crowd are laughing / cheering / clapping over the top of them.

In the most recent BBUK, there was a constant stream of outside information fed to the HMs as well as much contact with the outside world. This really flies in the face of the number one premise of Big Brother. Can you give us an undertaking that you won't make the same mistakes as they did?

*Of course I only know this by reading forums because you can't watch that show in Australia.

In the most recent BBUK, there was a constant stream of outside information fed to the HMs as well as much contact with the outside world. This really flies in the face of the number one premise of Big Brother. Can you give us an undertaking that you won't make the same mistakes as they did?

*Of course I only know this by reading forums because you can't watch that show in Australia.

I think this ship has sailed a loooong time ago. :(

I think what Alex said in @the Theorist 's post is right though, I don't believe as he said that "no one watched it", but I do understand where he's coming from. I never actually understood the whole "turkey slap" incident — I'll have to find articles online but I think that's one of the biggest reasons it got pulled and not only that they can show more interesting stuff.

I wish they'd have a adults/up late show, or a part on there website which even if they charged I think so many people would pay (including myself).

I posted something similar to this in the original thread so I guess I will have to post it again:

Will there ever be a villain housemate similar to Michael McCoy from 2006? I ask this because I think a villain could really add to the show. Every good reality TV show needs a good villain that the audience loves to hate and they are usually the characters that generate discussion about the show and keep people watching. Are you and your fellow producers scared of placing a big villain in the house because of viewer backlash or is there a chance we could see one in the house this year? What were your thoughts on Michael McCoy from 2006 by the way?

What were your thoughts on Michael McCoy from 2006 by the way?

I liked him, he was different in the way that he was open about his calculated moves. I think he could be the earliest "open" game player in BBAU that i could remember as i remember him saying things like "i want to win" and "i am going to play the game". It's a shame game players are branded weasel type characters in BB... well BBAU and BBUK. One of my favourite BB moments of all time was when Michael gave it back to Gretel after she was asking him about BB editing a kiss with the farmer guy. He stood up for himself.

Found the clip!

I would be absolutely fine without a live feed if they at least gave us some kind of Uplate/Uncut show. They'd have editing power, so even if they did want to avoid another 2006 incident, it would be within their hands to do that. Uncut at least gives their personalities a bit more dynamism, something we were able to pick up on with the live feed. With the feeds, we can't do that as easily.

I liked him, he was different in the way that he was open about his calculated moves. I think he could be the earliest "open" game player in BBAU that i could remember as i remember him saying things like "i want to win" and "i am going to play the game". It's a shame game players are branded weasel type characters in BB... well BBAU and BBUK. One of my favourite BB moments of all time was when Michael gave it back to Gretel after she was asking him about BB editing a kiss with the farmer guy. He stood up for himself.

Found the clip!
I replied to insider06 and said something along the same lines in the original deleted thread. I strongly disagree with anyone who labels Michael '06 a villain. He might've been a smart arse pain in the arse who got ahead of himself at times with his 'strategies' and what not but I struggle to recall anything he did that could be accurately described as 'villainous'.

Gretel still owned him! He looked like a bit of a dummy making a comment that it was edited without having seen the footage. I give him credit for standing up for himself, but to make claims like that without proper facts, he just seemed defensive and in blame mode with a chip on his shoulder. I don't think I would consider Michael a villain as such, but he was far too cocky and argumentative at times. He also seemed to react spontaneously without objective

Hmm there does not seem to be that many questions. Guess I'll come up with a few more.

1. Is there a possibility of an all stars or celebrity season? If so what former HMs or celebrities would you like to see in the house?
2. Would if ever be possible to have a cat or kitten as the house pet in the future?
3. Are you able to tell us anything that was said or happened at the BB conference last year?

Since the resurrection of Big Brother in 2012, we've seen a lot of similarities to the UK version of the show - from the logo, to last years diary room chair, and now this year's BBAU looks like a very similar premise to this year's BBUK PowerTrip twist. My question would be why. Why is there such a mimic trend happening here? Is it because you've noticed the success of the UK show and feel like you'd enjoy similar success? I'm just a stickler for original content, and I'm hoping to see at least a bit of that this season.

Gretel still owned him! He looked like a bit of a dummy making a comment that it was edited without having seen the footage. I give him credit for standing up for himself, but to make claims like that without proper facts, he just seemed defensive and in blame mode with a chip on his shoulder. I don't think I would consider Michael a villain as such, but he was far too cocky and argumentative at times. He also seemed to react spontaneously without objective

To be fair, they basically tattoo'd "CLOSET CASE" on his forehead during his last few hours. The "kiss" incident, the "lie detector". He had reason to question what had been shown...

Back