Skip to main content

Are we seriously getting no live updates at all this year?

To me it seems like the producers have decided to spend money on the house rather than paying a writer to constantly update the website.
The website probably doesn't get that much traffic, so it probably didn't seem worth it.
Which totally sucks! Oh how i miss the days of live feed

It's really the extra buzz that seeing more things live and getting more coverage can create. But Big Brother everywhere seems to have cut back and got the show reduced to something very manipulated, it's been a gradual process. I think it's become more Americanized, it's happened in the British version too.

It's really the extra buzz that seeing more things live and getting more coverage can create. But Big Brother everywhere seems to have cut back and got the show reduced to something very manipulated, it's been a gradual process. I think it's become more Americanized, it's happened in the British version too.
How is it Americanized when the US version is the only English Speaking Big Brother with 24/7 live feeds?

And the US version isn't as game focused as some people would like to think - more than ever they're actually peppering episodes with seemingly random scenes just because they're funny. It's these sort of scenes which don't fit into a storyline which so far BBAU is really missing this year.

How is it Americanized when the US version is the only English Speaking Big Brother with 24/7 live feeds?

There's plenty of stuff scripted and set up for the HLs, most obviously the DRs. They have been known for putting things out of chronological order (using montages, with music, too), for putting pressure on house guests to do what they want, including even reshooting scenes. Even the live feed has plenty of important stuff blacked out so it's hardly 24/7, we never see the full version of what happens in competitions, the important ceremonies or big twists. The 'live' HLs shows aren't always that live either, even some evictions have happened well before being shown using the black out of what is happening if need be.

AU BB only needs to make one more change which they can borrow from USA BB. If the public vote is eliminated in favour of the HMs voting to evict (as has been done in the USA BB since the second season IIRC) then BB AU could be pre-recorded months earlier like most other reality TV shows.
It just feels like that's what they want to do, and are achieving that end by "stealth", gradually eliminating key elements of the format, taking the flak for it each year, until it becomes just another MKR, TheBlock, BakeOff, etc etc.

AU BB only needs to make one more change which they can borrow from USA BB. If the public vote is eliminated in favour of the HMs voting to evict (as has been done in the USA BB since the second season IIRC) then BB AU could be pre-recorded months earlier like most other reality TV shows.
It just feels like that's what they want to do, and are achieving that end by "stealth", gradually eliminating key elements of the format, taking the flak for it each year, until it becomes just another MKR, TheBlock, BakeOff, etc etc.

But that's the thing, BBUS isn't taped months earlier. There's still a "live" eviction every week.

But that's the thing, BBUS isn't taped months earlier. There's still a "live" eviction every week.
Whilst true, and they do have a 24x7 live feed of sorts, if you eliminate the live-feed like NINE has done this year, and then the public vote next year, there is no longer any need to run the show concurrent with the broadcast.

All I'm saying is that we can't say that BigBrother without a public vote is NOT unprecedented, and that worries me.

I agree with you. I keep bringing irate US viewers over here to BBAU, and if you were to do what we did, there'd be no point. A lot of Americans are thinking the AU version is better than their own just because it's not as mean-spirited as ours.

Unless Sandra somehow gives us 100% confirmation she's camerashy, and I mean blatantly saying it to us, I'm not voting. No hope in hell. I already wrote my US friends earlier and told them if they want to vote this year they need to find someone else in Australia to Paypal the $ to and put the votes in for them. Two of them have written back already to say they're not only not voting but they're not watching now. They used to come lurk in the LF threads after work as that was really the only time that they'd be in sync with us but now without that, they're out completely. Sucks for Ch 9 because those girls spent a hell of a lot of $ last year voting.
Yeah I'm sure ch 9 are devastated to lose audience members watching the show overseas ...

Why do you actually watch the show? Do you not watch it for the entertainment, social experiment side etc? I don't understand why you think you need to be some sort of "police", checking things are consistent and so on. It's not like the housemates don't leave the house and are able to fully discuss what happens there. So if there is some huge conspiracy surely it will be busted? This isn't Roswell.[DOUBLEPOST=1410473206][/DOUBLEPOST]Why do you actually watch the show? Do you not watch it for the entertainment, social experiment side etc? I don't understand why you think you need to be some sort of "police", checking things are consistent and so on. It's not like the housemates don't leave the house and are able to fully discuss what happens there. So if there is some huge conspiracy surely it will be busted? This isn't Roswell.

Why do you actually watch the show? Do you not watch it for the entertainment, social experiment side etc? I don't understand why you think you need to be some sort of "police", checking things are consistent and so on. It's not like the housemates don't leave the house and are able to fully discuss what happens there. So if there is some huge conspiracy surely it will be busted? This isn't Roswell

I agree with you. I'm not overly concerned about the 'editing' as is always complained about here. Sometimes it might frustrate me, but generally I don't lose sleep over it.

That's not what this is about, at least for me.

It's the lack of updates to chat about. Last year we had updates and videos a couple of times an hour. That keeps a constant flow of information to chat / discuss / debate. This year -- nothing between the daily shows.

I agree with you. I'm not overly concerned about the 'editing' as is always complained about here. Sometimes it might frustrate me, but generally I don't lose sleep over it.

That's not what this is about, at least for me.

It's the lack of updates to chat about. Last year we had updates and videos a couple of times an hour. That keeps a constant flow of information to chat / discuss / debate. This year -- nothing between the daily shows.

Yeah pretty much the same here.

Why do you actually watch the show? Do you not watch it for the entertainment, social experiment side etc? I don't understand why you think you need to be some sort of "police", checking things are consistent and so on. It's not like the housemates don't leave the house and are able to fully discuss what happens there. So if there is some huge conspiracy surely it will be busted? This isn't Roswell.

I have watched the show because (in no particular order):

1. It was the only large scale reality show made in Australia when it began
2. It was filmed concurrently with being broadcast
3. The public had an influence over it
4. Just like the entity 'Big Brother', we could look in on the house ANY time of the day
5. I could see ex-housemates interviewed on subsequent shows at length (albeit restricted)
6. It featured Australian housemates (I can't stand Survivor)

And I don't agree that HMs are able to fully discuss what happens in the house. They are bound by contract and don't discuss anything TRULY controversial, nor do we get the opportunity to have questions answered. You only have to look at the "Ask Tim Dormer" thread to see how many questions go un-answered, and his willingness to answer forum members' questions is extremely rare.

If a HM acts outside of their contractual obligations ? - well, Justynn is a case in point.

No, this isn't Roswell, it's a TV show. But this is a Fan Forum. What did you expect?

And as @bleachy_dude says, whilst it irks me when the show obviously isn't edited in chronological order, I personally can live with that. It's the diminishing of the key reasons I ENGAGE with the show that annoys me. That's my right as a fan and a viewer. Will that influence those that produce the show? No. Do I care? Yes.

Yeah I'm sure ch 9 are devastated to lose audience members watching the show overseas ...
Care to go back and quote where I said they'd be "devastated"? Those overseas viewers not only create buzz on social media for a show that's past its peak popularity but some contribute voting $ as well. All the people from Italy who were supporting Jade are just one example of that. Even Alex has talked about how well the show does internationally. Now how would he know that when it's only aired in NZ and they don't sell DVD versions of the show for international viewers to watch legally? Don't be naive.

I am pretty sure the contracts you refer to have an end date though? No doubt in the case of those who want an ongoing involvement with the show, they may have longer term contracts or be a lot more careful what they say. But if a hm feels things have been misrepresented blatantly, I do not think they have a binding contract to never speak about such matters indefinitely.

I have watched the show because (in no particular order):

1. It was the only large scale reality show made in Australia when it began
2. It was filmed concurrently with being broadcast
3. The public had an influence over it
4. Just like the entity 'Big Brother', we could look in on the house ANY time of the day
5. I could see ex-housemates interviewed on subsequent shows at length (albeit restricted)
6. It featured Australian housemates (I can't stand Survivor)

And I don't agree that HMs are able to fully discuss what happens in the house. They are bound by contract and don't discuss anything TRULY controversial, nor do we get the opportunity to have questions answered. You only have to look at the "Ask Tim Dormer" thread to see how many questions go un-answered, and his willingness to answer forum members' questions is extremely rare.

If a HM acts outside of their contractual obligations ? - well, Justynn is a case in point.

No, this isn't Roswell, it's a TV show. But this is a Fan Forum. What did you expect?

And as @bleachy_dude says, whilst it irks me when the show obviously isn't edited in chronological order, I personally can live with that. It's the diminishing of the key reasons I ENGAGE with the show that annoys me. That's my right as a fan and a viewer. Will that influence those that produce the show? No. Do I care? Yes.

There should be an award for best post. You would get it :thumbsup:

That is exactly how I feel.

At the moment I am watching the French version on the Net ( Thanks to sunshinelou ), and it reminds me so much of our BB here, before 2007 :(

I really don't get the reason for no live updates. If they had them they would increase the traffic on the Jump-In website, which would get even more people talking about the show on Facebook and Twitter, which would then make people more excited to watch the show on TV, thus maybe leading to an increase in ratings and making people more likely to vote for their favourite housemate. I see no negative sides to it.

I really don't get the reason for no live updates....
I suspect their reasoning is based on the Nathan walkout last year. That caused the ratings to jump on the daily show the following Monday.

But, if that's the case, their logic is flawed. The reason more people tuned in to watch that show was because the live feed was stopped. This meant something big had happened. Having no live feed at all means you can't turn it off as an INDICATOR that something big has happened.

OMG, how hilarious, Priya is currently leading the mentions according to The Radar tally, with a whopping ........ 8 mentions per hour. Also going by the graphs they have on the website, it seems people are only talking about the housemates during the show with hardly anybody talking about them after the show. If that doesn't tell them that we need live updates, I don't know what will.

Not going to lie, I've decided to not watch Big Brother this season. Aside from not including the live updates, the over protection of housemates from their own families (as seen in Tim's article) is disgusting. I might binge watch near the end to catch up, but I can't bring myself to care when everything feels scripted.

Back