Skip to main content

Alone Australia

timmy

BEEUUUUWWW!!
Awesome site donor
Alone Australia is coming to SBS in 2023.

I've been bingeing the US version and love the format, although if Australia has cast complete rookies it'll make for disappointing viewing. It works best with people who have a clue about hunting and surviving.

Alone is a smash hit around the world and the most successful factual franchise in the history of SBS On Demand. The local version will see 10 brave Australians with survival skills dropped off, alone, into separate parts of the Tasmanian wilderness, where they’ll be challenged by the merciless forces of nature, hunger, and perhaps the toughest challenge of all: loneliness.

The goal is to survive alone in the wilderness for as long as possible, with a limited amount of survival equipment, no connection to the outside world and no knowledge of how the other survivalists are faring. The unique series is entirely self-documented. No camera crews. No gimmicks. It is the ultimate test of human will. The one who lasts the longest wins $250,000.

If you haven't watched the US version, have a look on SBS On Demand. Skip seasons 1/2 and start with 3. It's quite addictive.

Alone is a smash hit around the world and the most successful factual franchise in the history of SBS On Demand. The local version will see 10 brave Australians with survival skills dropped off, alone, into separate parts of the Tasmanian wilderness, where they’ll be challenged by the merciless forces of nature, hunger, and perhaps the toughest challenge of all: loneliness.

The goal is to survive alone in the wilderness for as long as possible, with a limited amount of survival equipment, no connection to the outside world and no knowledge of how the other survivalists are faring. The unique series is entirely self-documented. No camera crews. No gimmicks. It is the ultimate test of human will. The one who lasts the longest wins $250,000.

If you haven't watched the US version, have a look on SBS On Demand. Skip seasons 1/2 and start with 3. It's quite addictive.
I watched the entire US versions at least twice, maybe more, lol. I don’t like the killing of animals though so I have to fast forward or mute it and look somewhere else. The first versions where more concentrated on what they were doing, how inventive they were, by the end of the versions I found it was more about killing, specially the one in the snow. I hate the way they play with the fish they caught, as if the fish had no feelings, slowly dying in front of the camera.
Often I just have the TV on and Alone is in the background

I also watched the Norway, Denmark, Sweden, but with the subtitles it is not the same.

I hate the way they play with the fish they caught, as if the fish had no feelings, slowly dying in front of the camera.

They have to get everything on camera, which means making sure they're in shot etc so you can probably understand why they can't kill them immediately. Everything is done for the cameras even when they walk away to go do something, then then have to turn around and go back to get the camera. Must be quite a process to get anything done. Spend half your time setting up the cameras every day.

I like some of their shelters. The one that was made of woven bamboo was really beautiful, and some of the log cabins have been quite impressive. It's surprising how many people have set their shelters on fire too. I think building a stone fireplace with a chimney would be high on my agenda.

I kinda regret that I was the youngest of six kids, and my parents split when I was 10, so I never got to hunt rabbits and ducks or go fishing, things my older brothers all did. I've never even gutted a fish. My brothers could all make lures for fishing and fill cartridges with shot for the shot gun, stuff like that, but they were older and had all gone to boarding school and effectively moved out by the time I was 5yo. Even now I'm still the baby! :roflmao:

They have to get everything on camera, which means making sure they're in shot etc so you can probably understand why they can't kill them immediately. Everything is done for the cameras even when they walk away to go do something, then then have to turn around and go back to get the camera. Must be quite a process to get anything done. Spend half your time setting up the cameras every day.

I like some of their shelters. The one that was made of woven bamboo was really beautiful, and some of the log cabins have been quite impressive. It's surprising how many people have set their shelters on fire too. I think building a stone fireplace with a chimney would be high on my agenda.

I kinda regret that I was the youngest of six kids, and my parents split when I was 10, so I never got to hunt rabbits and ducks or go fishing, things my older brothers all did. I've never even gutted a fish. My brothers could all make lures for fishing and fill cartridges with shot for the shot gun, stuff like that, but they were older and had all gone to boarding school and effectively moved out by the time I was 5yo. Even now I'm still the baby! :roflmao:
Yes the cameras must be so hard for them, when they just want to get on with what they have to do but have to carry all that weight with them, where ever they go.
Some of the sheds are so good, my favorite is the one the couple built, it was a little home, if it had not been for the lack of food they would have won.
I love watching the ideas they have to live in the wild alone.
I don’t understand how they can follow a pack of wolfs or bear just to see where they go; I would be hiding under my bed, well if I had one, lol.
I know they have to kill to survive but I don’t like seeing it, and some series there was far too much of it on camera. The people are so interesting to watch, building boat, shed, even a kitchen with water on tap, lol. They are the most interesting people to watch of any other shows, nothing compare to Alone.

Some of the sheds are so good, my favorite is the one the couple built, it was a little home, if it had not been for the lack of food they would have won.
I love watching the ideas they have to live in the wild alone.
Loved Brooke and Dave. Brooke was so amazing. Was a huge disappointment in her second appearance in S5 when she tapped out because she was lonely. She did so well in their previous season with that kickarse house. Easy to criticise tap outs when you're watching it in a nice comfy/warm room with a bowl of pasta though.

I went down the rabbit hole and binged maybe 7 seasons of the US show in quite a short period last year. I should get onto the rest, really enjoyed the show. I also liked the Skill Challenge spin-off, although my girlfriend who loved Alone also, didn't because she was more interested in the characters than the skills.

I'm so curious of how the show will go in the Aussie bush without bears and what will they even be doing for food? Just fishing?

Tim Noonan, from Boy to Man and Extreme Engagement was responsible for instructing the Alone Australia participants on how to shoot themselves. If anyone's seen his stuff, those shows I mentioned are self-filmed. So he definitely is the guy to instruct the people on the show how to film his stuff.

I love the location. I've only watched the first episode, but it is so interesting seeing their different priorities and techniques. I screamed when Chris drank that unboiled creek water! Fell asleep with the giant mossy trees running through my mind.

So far I like it. They don't seem to be as competent as the US people though, no one seemed to know how to build a shelter. Maybe it is because it is the first day. Pity for the 22 yrs old he could have gone a long way IMO.

I couldn't believe how many tapped out. Also what shithouse locations many of them chose for their shelters. They set them up in stupid places, and set them up badly. It was like they'd never even been camping before! Jimmy seemed great, really bad luck he got sick like that.

Yeah that was a pathetic effort from them (easy to say after watching a lot of the US seasons, of course). I loved the Aussie accents and vernacular and all that swearing. American viewers are going to love it lol. I missed why that guy couldn't light a fire. Did he not take a fire starter? And also with all the hair these people have, why didn't any of them cut a bit off to use to get their fire started? These early tap outs were pretty disappointing really.

Anyone want to tip what day the winner gets told they've won? I'm gonna run with Day 57 because I don't have a lot of faith in them. But that is a very generous tip.

Last edited:
I've never watched Alone before, so hard to anticipate how long they will last. That first guy that tapped out, with the dreads. I had him picked as going all the way! There's still three whose campsites we haven't visited yet, which I find odd after two episodes.

The woman, Beck I think, who tapped out - she had a little flame going and then smothered it! One night of rain and they're out! I would probably die of starvation if I was on this show, unless the fish jumped on my line, but I can set up a decent camp and light a fire, even when it's wet.

Once they are all shown at their camps, I will have a go a tipping my winner. I like Gina, but she didn't bring a sleeping bag...

I've never watched Alone before, so hard to anticipate how long they will last. That first guy that tapped out, with the dreads. I had him picked as going all the way! There's still three whose campsites we haven't visited yet, which I find odd after two episodes.

The woman, Beck I think, who tapped out - she had a little flame going and then smothered it! One night of rain and they're out! I would probably die of starvation if I was on this show, unless the fish jumped on my line, but I can set up a decent camp and light a fire, even when it's wet.

Once they are all shown at their camps, I will have a go a tipping my winner. I like Gina, but she didn't bring a sleeping bag...

The US one alternates between half the cast one ep and the other half the next at the start of the season. It kinda gives away the early tap outs because they get more airtime before they implode. But it does make it easier than showing all 10 participants every ep and keep track of who is who.

Gina reminds me of Jacqui Lambie. She didn't take a sleeping bag but took the big possum skin cloak. That means she could choose 10 items without having to select a sleeping bag as one of them so that's essentially one extra item, which is smart.

Back