Skip to main content

Alone Australia

Meanwhile from a post on Whirlpool:

The Exemption Permit issued by the Inland Fisheries Service authorises:

• Those persons who are contestants of the television series Alone, as produced by the permit holder, to take freshwater fish without an angling licence and by means other than a rod, reel, and line
• Those persons who are contestants of the television series Alone, as produced by the permit holder, to possess undersize freshwater fish and a greater number of freshwater fish than is allowed by the regulated bag limit
• Those persons who are contestants of the television series Alone, as produced by the permit holder, to leave equipment unattended

The following conditions were also added to the Exemption Permit:

Permitted equipment and usage:

1) Bush pole and hook
2) Hand line and hook
3) Hand-made spear of natural materials
4) Woven eel traps (created by participants from natural materials)
a. Participants must keep the woven eel trap under observation and control at all times
5) Hand woven nets
a. Participants must keep the hand woven under observation and control at all time.
Allowable bait
6) Part of a fish caught in the Pieman river is able to be used to take freshwater fish in inland waters for the purposes of undertaking activities authorised by this permit.

Freshwater fish allowed to be taken:

• brown trout (Salmo trutta)
• rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)
• short finned eel (Anguilla australis)
• long finned eel (Anguilla reinhardtii)
• Whitebait

Have we met everybody yet? It feels like there are still 1 or 2 that we haven’t even seen yet. Like that lady in the previews holding up a carcass and munching on the empty frame.

So far I’m most impressed with, I think it’s Kate who caught the eel? Some of the others seem like their skills maybe more or less bluster. Keen to see that canoe put into practice and hope he’s not a bullshitter haha!

The hunter guy had no idea. You could feel his energy was wrong. His experience seems to be visiting game farms. Where lots of animals roam for that purpose. Could also be terribly bad luck that he was in a dead spot, but my spidey senses felt his energy was not one with nature.

Last edited:
Like that lady in the previews holding up a carcass and munching on the empty frame.

That is Gina, she's my favourite.

As for Kate, that eel would surely have a lot more palatable fried instead of boiled. Good on her for eating it though.

Have we met everybody yet? It feels like there are still 1 or 2 that we haven’t even seen yet.
Everyone except Michael, the Christian bush regenerator. I'm so cross when they don't show him. Surely next episode we will finally see a segment on him and his camp setup.

I've been inspired to start watching Alone Norway. Some ingenious contestants and the beauty of the scenery is wonderful to see. Plus shy reindeers wandering into view!

Yeah I've made a note to watch those seasons, but will wait until after AU concludes in May. There's also a season of Naked and Afraid: Solo currently rolling out (ep 5 tomorrow I think), which is as close to Alone's format as they could make it.

I will guess day 20 by the look of them, lol. I watched all US seasons twice and so far the Australian are not very good, it is like they never watched any "Alone" before. I hope they are going to be a little more efficient or they can't last. They have to have a good shelter, not just a tarpaulin thrown over a branch, that ridiculous.
I don't like the swearing and I was so happy that woman taped out.
That day 1 woman was ridiculous. Constantly using her ferrous to try and light wet tinder, and freaking out that she couldn’t boil water meanwhile it’s raining fresh water everywhere around her!

And she was selected for her potential to survive! If you can’t crack at least day 3 then you’re weak af for this game.

That day 1 woman was ridiculous. Constantly using her ferrous to try and light wet tinder, and freaking out that she couldn’t boil water meanwhile it’s raining fresh water everywhere around her!

Yeah, Beck didn't seem to be thinking properly. As for her tiny ferro rod, the contestants have to source and buy their 10 items themselves, so it's possible she couldn't find a bigger one, or maybe didn't realise you could get bigger ones. But the way she was hacking away at it, she'd have whittled away a bigger one in about a week regardless.

I found all the US seasons of Alone on Binge, which I am already subscribed to, So I have started watching that. It’s actually quite scary with those deadly predators around them, the cougars, the bears, the wolves ! You maybe the unlucky one and get dropped off right in the middle of a hornets nest!

I guess the expectation is that you can explore and find a better site, but geez it aint easy in those circumstances where it’s rainy and freaking cold and fires won’t light. Definitely a bit of luck with the drop-off point they assign you me thinks. I’m addicted now and prolly going to catch up on all of em.

I'll be watching Norway, Sweden and Denmark on SBS On Demand once Australia is done.

Naked and Afraid has a "Solo" season currently airing in the US, which is essentially the Alone format, except it had camera crews but no clothes.

Well the crew probably has clothes.

I'll be watching Norway, Sweden and Denmark on SBS On Demand once Australia is done.

Naked and Afraid has a "Solo" season currently airing in the US, which is essentially the Alone format, except it had camera crews but no clothes.

Well the crew probably has clothes.
I did, even with the subtitles it was still good, I am addicted to "Alone"

I found all the US seasons of Alone on Binge, which I am already subscribed to, So I have started watching that. It’s actually quite scary with those deadly predators around them, the cougars, the bears, the wolves ! You maybe the unlucky one and get dropped off right in the middle of a hornets nest!

I guess the expectation is that you can explore and find a better site, but geez it aint easy in those circumstances where it’s rainy and freaking cold and fires won’t light. Definitely a bit of luck with the drop-off point they assign you me thinks. I’m addicted now and prolly going to catch up on all of em.
I love all the predators, lol.
I find the US Alone more exciting and they are better at surviving hardship, making shelter, finding food and be more prepared in general
I still like our Alone :) and I hope we will have it every year.
I dislike TV Reality shows with cooking, dating, or hook-ups on beaches etc... but BB, Survivor and Alone are my favourites. I love the Block too but not as much

Look, Chris says the water is cold... but it doesn't look that cold. Either that, or...
Untitled-001.jpg

Surprised Duane left so quickly.

I find the editing a little slow at times, like dwelling a little bit too much on nothing. I would rather see more of them preparing meals and setup of their shelters than watch them talk about missing their families and the edit staring at them for like 10 minutes after expressing their thoughts.

Michael is probably my favorite next to Kate. Looks like Chris will leave in the next episode.

Michael is probably my favorite next to Kate. Looks like Chris will leave in the next episode.

Michael the Christian, or Mike? Hope you're wrong about Chris.

My favourites are Gina, then Chris, then Kate, then Mike. Michael is going to have to form some sentences that don't include mentions of his god or faith before I can even consider liking him. I'm not sure he can do it though. Yes I know, editing, but maybe he really did bang on about it all the time?

Here's a good write up of Episode 5.

Michael the Christian, or Mike? Hope you're wrong about Chris.

My favourites are Gina, then Chris, then Kate, then Mike. Michael is going to have to form some sentences that don't include mentions of his god or faith before I can even consider liking him. I'm not sure he can do it though. Yes I know, editing, but maybe he really did bang on about it all the time?

Here's a good write up of Episode 5.
Yeah Michael, the christian dude. Other than his obsession with faith (which i’m assuming is being milked by the editors), he seems decent and surprisingly, the most mentally stable (sharing that place with Gina & Kate).

Just that Chris was ready to tap out the moment he got hungry. Sure it was life saving that he caught something just then, but maybe you gotta stick it out for a bit longer? If you can’t spend a day or two being as idle as possible in your camp then it’s going to be hard to compete with the others.

Michael and Gina are my favourites. I enjoy learning things about plants from Kate. Mike is freaking me out with the hunting. I love Chris, and hope he can stay in a while longer. It was so great when all hope was lost, and he saw the line move in the water. I love it when they land a fish! He is really compelling to watch, and his moments of gratitude and appreciation are just beautiful.

Duane not having started a fire in the whole time he was there was odd. Sad that he caught a fish, just as he was giving up, and then couldn't start a fire, and then next day he's gone.

Back