Skip to main content

Alone Australia

That is so true. I thought they had to go to have 2 weeks preparation before starting.
I think it will be more interesting when they are 3 people left, usually they try harder
I haven’t watched ep 6 yet but yeh, they seem to be having a lot of difficulty this year. That hunter with the bow seemed too eager. Easy for me to say though, but yknow If you know enough about deers etc they have super sensitive smell. If they smell you they’re not coming within 500m of you. You have to be prepared to spend a whole day in a ditch covered in mud to reduce any scent to get that close to them. Wet droopings just means they passed by, not necessarily an indication they’re coming back soon. I think the most effective (but sad) way is to setup some kind of trap in that environment. The woods there are impossible to traverse quietly.

The fishing side is also so difficult with having to be watching the rod at all times in case you catch an eel. Also Really makes it hard on them to lose so many hooks when there are so many eels there. I guess you gotta try go with floats as eels tend to stick to the bottom (don’t they?)

Traps are out because they might accidentally catch/kill native birds, so that's why nobody has set snares. Considering the potential bounty of food, the restrictions are making it much more difficult than I thought. Hope somebody bops another possum (or better, a deer or pig or something) soon. And if they need to get their fishing lines further out, ping them out attached to an arrow. Make a boat. Anything!

Yeah, I been waiting for a boat to appear. Or at the very least, an expression or thought of building one!!

Do you think they’re restricted from building one?

Yeah, I been waiting for a boat to appear. Or at the very least, an expression or thought of building one!!

Do you think they’re restricted from building one?
Might be tricky because they can only use dead fall or driftwood, and can't cut nice straight branches etc of trees. The rules are set by the local iwi (tribe) who oversee conservation in the area. e.g. I don't think catching eels is against the law in NZ (was a common activity when I was a kid)... but the iwi don't permit it in this area.

Yes the restrictions are too many. How can they survive?
It is true that they are loosing many hooks with the eels they catch. Wouldn't the eels die with the hooks tearing their inside anyway?
Not being able to cut branches (sigh) Life is hard for them that is for sure

My winners pick right now is Andreas, with Tamika coming in second. Rick hasn’t been successful enough in catching food, but if he does become successful and his shoe problem gets sorted out, that could change.

I like Krzysztof message in the last episode re neuro diverse. But I feel like making rope might be not such a useful thing.

Sucks that they are losing hooks so much. By the way, @l.a.r.a I think someone said the hooks are biodegradable, but I personally can’t imagine how that hook stuck in its mouth is going to dissolve in a time that doesn’t cause any eels distress, if that’s the case that’s amazing!

My winners pick right now is Andreas, with Tamika coming in second. Rick hasn’t been successful enough in catching food, but if he does become successful and his shoe problem gets sorted out, that could change.

I like Krzysztof message in the last episode re neuro diverse. But I feel like making rope might be not such a useful thing.

Sucks that they are losing hooks so much. By the way, @l.a.r.a I think someone said the hooks are biodegradable, but I personally can’t imagine how that hook stuck in its mouth is going to dissolve in a time that doesn’t cause any eels distress, if that’s the case that’s amazing!
I hope it is, but people don't seem to think about the pain they inflict when fishing, because fish don't scream :(

I just took down notes to reflect on who was shown etc in each episode on what day as well as major events..

Episode 7
Day 23
tamika
kryzstof
rick
andreas

day 24
tamika (catches trout)
suzan (finds long dead possum)
kryzystof (catches eel)

day 25
suzan

day 26
tamika
andreas (catches trout)

day 29
(storm)
rick
andreas
rick
andreas
tamika
kryz
suzan
tamika
[etc]

Ok so that was fun, some rough weather! Now all those open air shelters are not so great after all. They seem so unprepared for bad weather!

Also interesting that many seem on the verge of asking to tap out during that storm . They don’t see the risks that the rescue team would need to put themselves under in such weather.. Do they just think the rescue team is like from in the movies or what?

Actually those storms are really pretty darn risky for everyone involved.

Back