Skip to main content

2015 - 2016 Media Articles Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Big Brother unlikely to return to TV as Dreamworld house dismantled

BIG Brother is almost certainly dead. It is understood the house at Dreamworld theme park is being dismantled as Channel 9 confirms it has “no immediate plans” to screen the reality series again.

TV rivals Seven and Ten, which owned the rights to the series originally, are understood to have no interest in resurrecting the show either when Nine’s contract with the franchise expires in 2016.

The death knell for Big Brother came after Nine’s plans for a star-studded version of the series were scarpered by Ten launching I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here.

Adding insult to injury, Big Brother’s executive producer Alex Mavroidakis also jumped ship to take the helm of I’m A Celebrity .

All references to Big Brother have been removed from Nine’s website but the network’s chief programming and production chief Andrew Backwell insisted: “We have no plans to bring it back at this stage, it is however still in consideration so we are certainly not ruling it out.

story-fnn7ma1h-1227475729926

“We also believe it would work brilliantly on GO but we need to work through a business case to see if the investment was viable.”

Experts say it would be impossible to produce such a costly series for Go! in a way that would be profitable for the network, especially given the declining ratings.

The secret axing of the series from the main channel also explains the appointment of Big Brother host Sonia Kruger into her somewhat redundant new role of co-host on The Voice.

Former Dancing With The Stars co-host, Kruger, had been lured to join Nine with the promise of hosting Mornings and its rebooted Big Brother.

With Big Brother no longer in the 2015 schedule, Nine would have needed to find a way to still utilise Kruger on screen in prime time.

It is believed the popular blonde may also be in the running for a role on the new-look Australia’s Got Talent, which Nine is resurrecting for a third time later this year. Rumour has it the show’s creator Simon Cowell may have an onscreen role in the new AGT too.

Big Brother screened on Ten from 2001 to 2008 but was plagued by scandal towards the end of its run.

It was revived by Nine in 2012, with the promise that it would be a more family-friendly show.

The 2012 series of Big Brother, won by Ben Norris, averaged 1.04 million viewers across the five capital cities.

The 2013 series, which was won by Tim Dormer, averaged 890,000 viewers.

Last year’s season, won by Ryan Ginns, had a more adult skew and a later timeslot.

It rated poorly, plummeting to 650,000 viewers, and was widely panned as one of the worst shows of the year.

Source: Herald Sun

---------------------------

N.B. note the carefully chosen word "dismantled" rather than "demolished" - I'd say they are just stripping the furniture and leaving empty rooms at this stage.

RIP Big Brother and my life :(

I read about this before. It is ashame but I really do think the show will come back in the future.

I know the articles don't look good, but always remember things change in TV land. What's old, becomes new again. We're always seeing things recycled and bought back.

Channel 9 axed Australia's Got Talent in 2013, and they've revived that again. Celeb Apprentice is coming back after a 2 year hiatus. I think eventually BB's card will come back up sometime. Maybe not for a few years, but I have no doubt

According to this article http://www.heraldsun.com.au/enterta...house-dismantled/story-fnn7ma1h-1227475729926 the big brother house at dreamworld is being dismantled. I was at dreamworld on Wednesday and this seems to be 100% true. Everything to do with big brother is gone. It's been taken off the dreamworld map, the eye at the front of dreamworld is gone, no signs pointing to the house, it's not mentioned in any brochures. The only thing remaining is the stuff at the gift shop. The walk to the house has been closed down and cannot be accessed. So it seems now that Big Brother Australia is gone forever now.

It just looks like they are taking the inner structure of the house down. The shell of the house may still remain there. It looks like there's no plans for BB2016 so we will have to wait to at least 2017 to really think about getting it back. The only hope for next year is for seven or ten to pick it up. But if the house is getting dismantled we may have to wait to end if the year as they would have to fix up the house. I'm not expecting it to come back personally. I'm convinced it's axed.[DOUBLEPOST=1439085268][/DOUBLEPOST]
This is a pre-season pic showing the final stages of construction...

Oh well sorry it was published with the news article about it being demolished on TV tonight

They'll probably use it for storage again like the did for all the dreamworks stuff when Nickelodeon was leaving the park.

It would be cool if they made it, or had like a Big Brother Museum. Because there is a massive poster with every single housemates signatures and they could have all of the remaining diary room chairs/ furniture and what not.

They'll probably use it for storage again like the did for all the dreamworks stuff when Nickelodeon was leaving the park.

It would be cool if they made it, or had like a Big Brother Museum. Because there is a massive poster with every single housemates signatures and they could have all of the remaining diary room chairs/ furniture and what not.

I was thinking the same thing whilst I was at dreamworld. Even if it's being axed i think it would be appropriate to have like a proper farewell. Like the house could have bits and pieces from past series. Like you said about a museum. And just leave it there as the BB museum.

So I've just seen and read today about 5 different blogs, news articles and Facebook fan pages that have shared the news that the house is being demolished with big brother being a no go into the future.
:( This is a sad sad day indeed.

Big brother on going will all depend if anyone buys the rights later in the year. Kingston is right the article says dismantled not demolished. But at some point it will with the coomera town centre project anyway. I'd assume if seven take it on will end up in sydney at fox studios.

I don't think Seven would ever 'touch' the show. Supposedly they had the rights once before but I don't think they would ever tarnish their image with it.

I love Big Brother, but it's not hard to tell that it has quite a bad name here in Australia. I'm sure Nine improved the name a bit but I don't thinks that it's enough for Seven.

I would be more inclined to think that Ten would take it on again over any of the other Free-To-Air networks. :)

Definitely NOT being demolished. The 2014 "mansion" is being dismantled, not to be confused with completely removed...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-3192040/Big-Brother-house-not-dismantled.html

Big Brother house is not being dismantled
It's not time to go, just yet, for the Big Brother house.

Dreamworld CEO Craig Davidson has rejected reports that the Big Brother house, which is located inside the perimeter of the Gold Coast theme park, is being "dismantled".

He said the house will be kept in a condition to make it readily available for another series.

"The Big Brother house at Dreamworld is currently not being dismantled and is still available for further productions," Davidson told AAP.

The Nine Network has all but confirmed the show will not be returning this year despite a call-out for prospective housemates during the final weeks of the 2014 season.

The show's absence has fuelled media reports that the Big Brother is in the process of being dismantled.

Nine says it's yet to make a "definitive" decision on the future of the reality TV show.

The series first aired on Network Ten in 2001 where it ran for seven years.

Nine bought the rights to Big Brother in 2012 and made it more family friendly and it has so far aired three seasons of the show.

Dreamworld has been the home of Big Brother ever since it aired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back