Skip to main content

2014 Media Articles Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the bots show would have to be on a multichannel. I am seriously perplexed to hear that nine would sacrifice the 8:30pm starting time for dramas etc for the whole 3 months of BB.

Yeah no way it will be 90 minutes on a Friday night. It was 90 minutes Monday to Thursday last year though wasn't it? So I don't see how this is such a big change.

+1

I think the Friday night show will most likely disappear altogether, so really about the same as last year.

+1

I think the Friday night show will most likely disappear altogether, so really about the same as last year.
I would think the Friday night show would still happen, it would probably just end up on GO

I don't see why we want a shorter show.

If they're not prepared to give us a live stream or a long running 'late night' show, then the daily shows end up being a re-hash of the online videos and we end up with 30 minutes of actual new footage in an hour long program. That's a pretty piss-poor effort for a house that is active/awake for roughly 17 hours a day. :mad:

If the excuse is that HMs aren't doing anything interesting for 16 out of 17 hours a day, then that's the fault of casting, planning and the task dept.

It pains me to think that the previous HMs have been so boring to watch that they've felt the need to poke and prod them with questions at parties and in the diary room. :rolleyes:

I think the bots show would have to be on a multichannel. I am seriously perplexed to hear that nine would sacrifice the 8:30pm starting time for dramas etc for the whole 3 months of BB.

Where ever it's placed a daily BBBOTS show still means 90 minutes daily of BB and I can see at least half the audience of the daily switching over as long as it's not just a rehashing of episode and actually has some new content and solid conversations...

@buck07 It's not that I want a "shorter" show it's just 90 minutes of daily show action is overkill... I agree with you that there has got to be more content than they are letting on but like I said before if more BB is what they are aiming for than there are better ways of providing additional content... 90 minutes would be fine on eviction nights but over the course of the series I can't see viewers tuning in and staying with the show for a full 90 minutes 5 to 6 days a week...

I really wish I could confidently say half the audience would switch over but Australia is so backwards and in many ways stuck in routine. Our multichannels RARELY if ever pull 50% ratings of main channels. They are lucky to get 10%

I would definitely watch though. We had 90minutes most weeknights last season (except Friday) and it rated ok and still did very well in demos. However things have changed since last year with the news being extended to a 60 minute bulletins.

So if Alex is really saying they still want 90minutes this year.... That's what id like. A 60minute show on Nine and then a later (or immediately after) BOTS show or live stream (a la up late) etc on Go! Or Gem.

Where ever it's placed a daily BBBOTS show still means 90 minutes daily of BB and I can see at least half the audience of the daily switching over as long as it's not just a rehashing of episode and actually has some new content and solid conversations...

@buck07 It's not that I want a "shorter" show it's just 90 minutes of daily show action is overkill... I agree with you that there has got to be more content than they are letting on but like I said before if more BB is what they are aiming for than there are better ways of providing additional content... 90 minutes would be fine on eviction nights but over the course of the series I can't see viewers tuning in and staying with the show for a full 90 minutes 5 to 6 days a week...
Do you genuinely think they will be doing a show like BBBOTS though or something similar? Or do you just think it will be a 90 minute daily show?

They would just have to accept lower ratings. Just make sure the multichannel show doesn't stuff up the 'story arcs' happening on daily show. That's why BOTS would work well.

They did a try a show on Go! in 2012, I think it was a Saturday. It failed due to poor ratings and stuffed up the story arc timeline for people only watching the main channel daily show.

Do you genuinely think they will be doing a show like BBBOTS though or something similar? Or do you just think it will be a 90 minute daily show?

There hasn't been any talk of a BOTS style show as yet. I think it's just been suggested here as an option to get 90mins daily with the news being one hour this year.

I get what you mean, in terms of the fickle viewers with oztam boxes. For a "BB fanatic" it's a different story, don't you think?

Kerry Stokes (Majority owner and Chairman of Seven West Media) which includes the Seven Network here in Australia, is reported to be considering making a bid to purchase Ch 5 in the UK, which broadcasts BBUK.

Wow that's so weird.

But if he was successful he wouldn't be able to broadcast BBUK in Australia, at least not on FTA. Endemol Australia still have the rights to broadcast the BB franchise in Australia and as we all know they're in bed with Nine.

I may be wrong but my impression is Channel 9 doesn't ever make original content for its secondary channels, not since that one half hour of BB last year.

I do think that a 60 minutes daily show would be enough. I wouldn't have the time to watch 90 minutes everyday but I'd force myself to watch it since it's my favourite show and then I'd get annoyed at myself. BUT, if it is 60 minutes, I think Channel 9 need to cut or shorten the long 'Tonight' and 'Coming Up' segments significantly because it takes up a lot of time that could be used for footage of the house. I recall from some of the Channel 4 BBUK seasons I watched online that their 'Tonight' and 'Coming Up' segments only lasted a few seconds with a flash of some interesting/important moment during that day.

... I think Channel 9 need to cut or shorten the long 'Tonight' and 'Coming Up' segments significantly because it takes up a lot of time that could be used for footage of the house. I recall from some of the Channel 4 BBUK seasons I watched online that their 'Tonight' and 'Coming Up' segments only lasted a few seconds with a flash of some interesting/important moment during that day.

I don't know how factual this is, but I reckon this started with the American 'ET' style shows (at least that's where I noticed it first). It annoys me SO much when a large portion of air time is taken up by telling me what's coming up. For me, it just smacks of lack of real content. So frustrating. I hate that I see it creeping more and more into the general broadcast.

A half hour Daily Show and a long, long Up Late would be best, I think. 10 had the airing proportions right, I think.

The daily shows from last years ended being around 60 minutes once you took all the ads out. So if you record BB or watch on YouTube it really is only 1 hour long.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back