Skip to main content

…Tv ads / promos / TV shows and movies that make ridiculous claims and insult your intelligence… (or are great)…

I'm almost wanting to send a complaint to the ACCC over a minor advertising annoyance.. but I can't be bothered ...
Those stupid "But wait, don't answer - we have a special deal for the viewers.... " adverts, I can't even remember the products they sell..

It's shortly followed by, "Completely free, you get 2 for the price of one... you just have to pay postage & handling costs for the 2nd unit"
Well, then, its not FREE is it. If I have to pay another charge to get the free item, then its not FREE...
Not that I'd buy the junk they're selling anyway...

I read somewhere years ago that these TV gimmick adverts where they sell you garbage like rowing machines or gym equipment, that type of TV selling... To make a profit after all the super expensive TV advertising - they have to be able to purchase the item for 1/7th of the cost that they are advertising to you to purchase... o_O It was a document that was leaked from the company that they give to potential businesses that approach these advertising companies with a product they want to flog... They tell them that if we market it for $70 on the TV, you have to supply it to us for $10 each...

I think "The Block" or a block can mean many things. It could be a block of apartments, houses side be side on a street or acreage. We live on six acres and always refer to the outside as "the block" as in "I'm going to slash the block today".
…I see where you’re coming from Sephrenia but still… it seems as though that they couldn’t find somewhere in the city whereby they would have a few houses or apartments that all need fixing at the same time so they’ve gone… “stuffit!… let’s go out to a housing project that has a few buildings to complete… yeah that’ll do it… it saves us having to search any longer for a ‘block’ that viewers expect in the traditional sense… it just seems like laziness on they’re part to me that’s all… maybe they just rename the show to ‘building 5 houses like normal people do’ instead… but maybe I’m just being a tad bit finnicky eh?… lol!… cheers.

…I see where you’re coming from Sephrenia but still… it seems as though that they couldn’t find somewhere in the city whereby they would have a few houses or apartments that all need fixing at the same time so they’ve gone… “stuffit!… let’s go out to a housing project that has a few buildings to complete… yeah that’ll do it… it saves us having to search any longer for a ‘block’ that viewers expect in the traditional sense… it just seems like laziness on they’re part to me that’s all… maybe they just rename the show to ‘building 5 houses like normal people do’ instead… but maybe I’m just being a tad bit finnicky eh?… lol!… cheers.
Too expensive these days? Or maybe just trying to do something different from the same old formula? I dunno what their reason is really but I'm looking forward to it...as I always do. I love reno shows no matter how contrived, over produced and how much producer scripted drama they involve.

I'm almost wanting to send a complaint to the ACCC over a minor advertising annoyance.. but I can't be bothered ...
Those stupid "But wait, don't answer - we have a special deal for the viewers.... " adverts, I can't even remember the products they sell..

It's shortly followed by, "Completely free, you get 2 for the price of one... you just have to pay postage & handling costs for the 2nd unit"
Well, then, its not FREE is it. If I have to pay another charge to get the free item, then its not FREE...
Not that I'd buy the junk they're selling anyway...

I read somewhere years ago that these TV gimmick adverts where they sell you garbage like rowing machines or gym equipment, that type of TV selling... To make a profit after all the super expensive TV advertising - they have to be able to purchase the item for 1/7th of the cost that they are advertising to you to purchase... o_O It was a document that was leaked from the company that they give to potential businesses that approach these advertising companies with a product they want to flog... They tell them that if we market it for $70 on the TV, you have to supply it to us for $10 each...

…what really pisses me off about those home gym ads or exercise bikes ads is that as soon as you commit yourself to buying one and actually get it… the very next week they have a newer version that say is ‘better than ANY other one sold before!’… (even the one that you’ve just purchased)… so why buy one in the first place?… it’s already ‘outdated’ as soon as you get it… and… they usally look like shit anyway… cheers

Too expensive these days? Or maybe just trying to do something different from the same old formula? I dunno what their reason is really but I'm looking forward to it...as I always do. I love reno shows no matter how contrived, over produced and how much producer scripted drama they involve.

…yeah… I see you’re point… I guess that if you’re a true fan then it really doesn’t matter either way eh?… I would watch it only if Scott Cam left the show… he is a egotestical arrogant turd… I can’t stand him… cheers.

…what really pisses me off about those home gym ads or exercise bikes ads is that as soon as you commit yourself to buying one and actually get it… the very next week they have a newer version that say is ‘better than ANY other one sold before!’… (even the one that you’ve just purchased)… so why buy one in the first place?… it’s already ‘outdated’ as soon as you get it… and… they usally look like shit anyway… cheers
I've actually seen a fair few of them (a year or so after they're advertised) in op shops for $5 - $10 ... so I'm guessing they don't quite do they hype they claim to.. & you don't end up looking like an Adonis with a 10 pack abdomen :roflmao:

Yeah, the ones I saw in op shops are not very robust items at all, 95% plastic...

…yeah… I see you’re point… I guess that if you’re a true fan then it really doesn’t matter either way eh?… I would watch it only if Scott Cam left the show… he is a egotestical arrogant turd… I can’t stand him… cheers.
Haha! Yes, Scotty can be a bit too much at times as can Keith and Dan but I tend to overlook all of them. I just watch the show for what it is...I'm not particularly observant when I watch...I just watch through a kind of stupor (alcohol induced or otherwise...because I watch at the end of a usually mind numbing day at work!)

Does Ch 7 get a gold medal for the most adverts they can run? I was watching/listening to AGT on 7 flix for about 30 mins whilst I made lunch and virtually after every act they ran a series of adverts...
Getting sick of all the ads, like there were more advertising than acts...

The previous day I was trying to watch the commonwealth games only to be harassed by ad after ad after ad... I ended up watching a movie on my PC... It gets to the point where you get so sick of them, you turn it off - and its like they want to piss you off, by playing the same ad back to back, not once, but numerous times... grrrr

Biggest annoyance at the moment apart from the woman fake coughing is the couple with sore throats whose lips are out of sync with the dialogue.

Does Ch 7 get a gold medal for the most adverts they can run?

The previous day I was trying to watch the commonwealth games only to be harassed by ad after ad after ad... I ended up watching a movie on my PC... It gets to the point where you get so sick of them, you turn it off - and its like they want to piss you off, by playing the same ad back to back, not once, but numerous times... grrrr
Funny thing is I've been watching Comm Games on 7plus...few to no ads and most of the time I just get this...
7plus ad break Comm Games 2022.JPG
Don't get it tbh.

Biggest annoyance at the moment apart from the woman fake coughing is the couple with sore throats whose lips are out of sync with the dialogue.
…that’s because the company that makes the product is so friggin’ cheap and stingy that instead of making a brand new commercial for us Australians they’ve just thrust a Czech Republic or Slovakian or Russian or whatever fucking country it’s from? commercial upon us and have just overdubbed English speaking dialogue over it… that’s why the lips are out of sync… it shits me to tears too… here is proof…

…not only is depriving Australians of Animation work but also our actors of work too… it’s disgusting… it should be stopped… I would deliberately not buy this product for that reason alone… cheers.

…the worst thing about the Commonwealth Games at the moment is ‘Barrettes’ and every other Channel 7 reporter being so smug about Australia’s great performances in the pool… sure… it’s good to have national pride about their achievements but their constant ramming it so hard down our throats and being so smug about it is making me to start barracking for other countries to win just to shut up every single Channel 7 reporter reporting the bloody news…

…okay we get it… Channel 7 paid out squillions of dollars to the exclusive rights to the games… but shit… stop shoving it in our faces so much with replaying it over and over and over and over again every 10 seconds… especially during news broadcasts… there is other important news going on around the World too… have you heard of the Ukraine War for instance?… do you remember?… you know… people are actually being killed and stuff?… when it first started you were all over it like a rash… remember?…

…’Kochie’ and ‘Barrettes’ need to go… that would be a great start… Channel 7… you are descending down so fast that you’re becoming the new Channel 9… and that is so pitiful… cheers.

So agree Mr S.
Years ago the rampant jingoism shitted me. But somehow its got worse. I suspect now its a directive to try and hook a younger demographic who dont really give a shit about the comm games with all the other entertainment options on offer. Comm games have always been a bit of ego stroking for us.
Dont get me wrong. I respect every individual participating. Their committment and training.
But the overblown commentary borders on nauseating.
I love sport and varities of. So I watch with sound off and perform my own commentary.
Sometimes to quite funny (to me) results.

…it’s strange that when the Commonwealth Games athletes score a flurry of GOLD medals the Channel 7 crew on The Morning Show scream out ”we’ve won 9 GOLD medals overnight blah blah blah!”… but yesterday none were won… it went to “the medal tally has risen overnight blah blah blah!”… (only silver and bronze were won)… what?… was it too embarrassing to announce that there were no GOLD medals won or something?… they’ve been bragging and shoving it down our throats while our swimmers were winning all of the time… yesterday nothing… and today because other Aussie athletes have won GOLD medals they have been bragging and shoving it back down our throats again…

…when we were way ahead in the GOLD medal tally they were like rabid morons reporting that fact but yesterday when it looked like England were about to catch up and maybe overtake Australia they went strangely quiet and were looking a bit worried… no bragging whatsoever… then they started boasting about the “overall” medal tally being the most important thing… it’s quite sickening really… it makes it look like that athletes who only win silver and bronze medals aren’t as important… the whole of the Channel 7 team are equally to blame…

…don’t worry… as long as we keep winning GOLD medals they’ll keep screaming their lungs out… if England pip them at the post and win the most GOLD medals I suppose they’ll have black armbands on and a National day of mourning at the end of the ‘friendly games’… ‘friendly games‘ my arse!… cheers.

…yes Channel 7 and The Morning Show… we all know that our beautiful sweet Olivia Newton John died 3 DAYS AGO!… can you now let her Rest In Peace please?… I don’t mind some adulation and fond memories of her great work and paying her a great tribute but it’s sickening how you parasites are milking our mourning for the great lady… you are being downright disrespectful towards her memory… SO PLEASE STOP IT YOU INGRATES!… regardless of what Channel 7 are doing Olivia… we still love and adore you ❤️🥰😍😘… cheers.

4 days down the track and the Channel 7 Morning Show are still carrying on about our beautiful Olivia Newton John… erm… Judith Durham died too you know?… cheers.

4 days down the track and the Channel 7 Morning Show are still carrying on about our beautiful Olivia Newton John… erm… Judith Durham died too you know?… cheers.

I think this was also the case a while ago when Shane Warne passed away, I do remember another not so famous cricketer also passed away around the same time but they just faded away and didn't really get as much attention as the more famous cricketer Shane Warne did. Sadly it's probably the case also with the passing of Olivia Newton-John. She is probably more famous and more well known than Judith Durham sadly. :(

day 5… now Channel 7 and the Morning Show are running an Olivia Newton John feature about her past ‘love life’… for fucks sake leave the poor woman alone!…show some respect for her and her family… you’re leeches that are living off her memory!… you are fucking disgusting!… if I was part of her family I would be finding a way to sue you parasites for the exploitation of her memory!… you make me feel sick… fuck off and leave the beautiful woman alone!… 🤬😡… cheers.

I think this was also the case a while ago when Shane Warne passed away, I do remember another not so famous cricketer also passed away around the same time but they just faded away and didn't really get as much attention as the more famous cricketer Shane Warne did. Sadly it's probably the case also with the passing of Olivia Newton-John. She is probably more famous and more well known than Judith Durham sadly. :(
The other cricketer was Rod Marsh and he was also as famous in his day but he was so much older than Shane Warne so it was not as much of a shock? Still sad by all means as is anyone's passing.

Both Judith Durham and Olivia Newton-John battled illnesses/diseases for years and they were both in their 70s...so perhaps not so surprising although still sad.

I think it comes down to some people seem "bullet-proof" and are larger than life as were both Shane Warne and ONJ in our minds. BUT it does not excuse TV shows from wringing every possible angle and opportunity from their deaths.

Back