Skip to main content

…MR STICKYFINGERS (sort of) BOWS OUT FOR A WHILE…

Never! This is one of the best threads on here. I mean, obviously initially it wasn't, but now it's become an archive of your strength and resilience. Keep posting and keep being a true, real-world inspiration, Sticky.

...oh okay then iJake... at least that's one person that will continue reading it then lol!... fair enough... I'll keep on posting my progress whether good or bad... I'm trying to contact the Doctor that is in charge of my case for my rehabilitation so as to see if I'm allowed to drive again... she has to sign off that I'm fit enough to drive I've been told... apparently when you have a stroke you are not allowed to drive for at least a month... it's the Law someone told me... and if you have an accident then you're not covered by your car insurance too from what I've been told...

...I was told that if it's granted that you have a provisional license for 3 months and that you can only drive within a certain set amount of Kilometers from your home and that you are not allowed to drive at night in that period too until you get a full license back again after a revision... (apparently yet again stroke victims have poor night vision for a period of time after they have one)... I'm not too sure if it is all true and I'm not too sure how it all works so I'm after some clarification from her if I get to see her tomorrow... (if anybody does know the rules applying to this please enlighten me of it)...

...I'm set to have the 'CTA posterior circulation of the neck muscles' at the Nepean Hospital in Penrith tomorrow at 10 AM... hopefully I'll get to see my 'Rehab Doctor' then... (here's hoping)... anyhow that's the gist of it all... cheers.

...hey you wonderful people... just an update... I had my 'CTA posterior circulation of the neck muscles' at the Nepean Hospital last week and the results were sent to whoever... (I'm guessing my neurologist)...yesterday I went back to my GP... I was told that I have an appointment with my Neurologist on Saturday 18th of April and my first 'Physio' as an 'out patient' on the 20th April... either one of those people have the ability to sanction me driving again as I am not allowed to drive until then... it's the Law...

...I'm really frustrated by not being able to drive!... it's so annoying having to ask our son to drive us to Doctor's appointments/to do grocery shopping etc etc... as far as I'm concerned I'm quite right to drive right now but I've got to wait another 18-20 days for the okay from one of them to allow me to drive!.... it's sooooooo annoying!... but as I said that it's the Law and I'm smart enough to obey it...

...when I was discharged from the Katoomba rehabilitation Hospital and they told me that I was to become an 'out patient' at the Nepean Hospital... for some reason I imagined that they would slot me in sometime during the first week of my release to keep my recovery momentum clicking over but I am slotted in for the 20th April as I said earlier... that makes it about a month or so after the last time that I was in the Gym at Katoomba Hospital... I've continued to do the exercises that they taught me to do since I was released but I guess that a few people that would eventually be in the same position upon their release would possibly be tempted to think...'Stuff the exercises... I can't be bothered!'... the temptation not to continue the exercises could be too much for some people I imagine... I'm so surprised about the big break in between the treatments... but that's probably normal I guess?...

...my sweet darling wife is always checking that I am being honest to myself and am doing my exercises as I have promised myself to do... God love her lol!...

...when I got home from the Hospital I knew that I wouldn't feel like I'm home again until I have completed a few things first... they were...

(1)...to get back to my cooking the meals at home again... DONE!...
(2)...to finish tidying up my shed that I began doing before I had my stroke... DONE!...
(3)...to fix my pond motor that died 2 days after I had been in Hospital... (there was no water flow into the pond for a month... luckily the air stones were continually pumping air into the water to keep the Koi Carp happy)... DONE!...
(4)...and also... I'm back out in my gardens!!!!... woohoo!!!!... it took me 2 1/2 hours to dig a 20 foot long trench that would normally take me about 1/2 an hour to do but now I'm just 'moseying' through it instead of hammering through it like I used to do lol!... (remember those 'baby steps' that I spoke about in an earlier post?... lol!...DONE!...
(5)...I have been in 7th heaven weeding my gardens again!... believe it or not I actually enjoy weeding my gardens!... (yes I know... I have some strange issues there don't I?)... I was actually happy when I came home last week and saw so many weeds!... (um... I definitely have issues... even I can see that now lol!)... DONE!...
(6)...I'm trimming some of my plants back into their shapes again as they were being trained to do before I was put in Hospital... how much they have overgrown in 1 month!... ALMOST DONE!...
(7)...I have caught up on everything to do with my computer... all of the virus updates and driver updates... I've almost caught up with all of the threads on this website... (there was so much reading to do lol!)... ALMOST DONE!...
(8)... and the main thing that I so love doing... having breakfast out on the back our big back veranda at dawn and talking with my sweet darling wife each morning again... it's so relaxing sitting there watching the native birds feeding in our back yard... (Yes... I also do some of my allocated exercises too... lol!)... ONGOING EACH DAY!...

...so there you have it... that's me all up-to-date... sorry about the 'short novel' length of the post but that's just me being me again I guess lol!... cheers.:)

...just a question from me to anyone that maybe knows from a friend or relatives previous experience... I stated in my post above... 'I have my first 'Physio' as an 'out patient' on the 20th April'... does anybody know what that entails?... will I be required to go once a week?... twice a week?... every day of the week?... and for how many weeks/months that I may have to keep going for somebody that has had a similar stroke as to what I had?... I'm so curious... thanking you in advance... cheers

...just a question from me to anyone that maybe knows from a friend or relatives previous experience... I stated in my post above... 'I have my first 'Physio' as an 'out patient' on the 20th April'... does anybody know what that entails?... will I be required to go once a week?... twice a week?... every day of the week?... and for how many weeks/months that I may have to keep going for somebody that has had a similar stroke as to what I had?... I'm so curious... thanking you in advance... cheers

Hi Sticky! I hope you've been well!

I'm not a Physio but I do work in a hospital as a Speech Pathologist and I have patients come back as outpatients for rehab. Probably not very helpful but the frequency of when you need to go back for reviews will depend on a lot of factors. It's hard to tell just by what type of stroke you've had on the basis that I'm not a physio and also strokes present very differently in everyone with different degrees of impact on your functionality. The physios I work with sometimes see patients very frequently (1-3 times a week) and others every month or so. Also given Nepean is a public hospital sadly you're probably going to expect that you're probably not going to be able to have as many sessions as you'd like to. That might not be the case for you but unfortunately it does happen that you can't see some patients as much as you'd like sometimes.

With any type of rehab though the gains are dependant on what you're doing at home...not what you're doing during your rehab sessions at the hospital. They'll come up with a treatment plan for you and most likely send you home with exercises to do until your next session when they'll assess you again and evaluate the treatment plan and make changes if necessary. I'm sure the physios will appreciate you being such a good patient because a lot of patients really do to think that if they come in for therapy once every couple of weeks without doing anything at home that's going to fix the problem.

Last edited:
Hi Sticky! I hope you've been well!

I'm not a Physio but I do work in a hospital as a Speech Pathologist and I have patients come back as outpatients for rehab. Probably not very helpful but the frequency of when you need to go back for reviews will depend on a lot of factors. It's hard to tell just by what type of stroke you've had on the basis that I'm not a physio and also strokes present very differently in everyone with different degrees of impact on your functionality. The physios I work with sometimes see patients very frequently (1-3 times a week) and others every month or so. Also given Nepean is a public hospital sadly you're probably going to expect that you're probably not going to be able to have as many sessions as you'd like to. That might not be the case for you but unfortunately it does happen that you can't see some patients as much as you'd like sometimes.

With any type of rehab though the gains are dependant on what you're doing at home...not what you're doing during your rehab sessions at the hospital. They'll come up with a treatment plan for you and most likely send you home with exercises to do until your next session when they'll assess you again and evaluate the treatment plan and make changes if necessary. I'm sure the physios will appreciate you being such a good patient because a lot of patients really do to think that if they come in for therapy once every couple of weeks without doing anything at home that's going to fix the problem.

...thankyou so much for that insight as to what I might expect... it sounds like I might be in the... 'They'll come up with a treatment plan for you and most likely send you home with exercises to do until your next session'... type of patient... that I don't mind at all... after all... I'm already doing the very same thing as per instructions from the Katoomba Hospital Rehab Physios since I got home...

...I really didn't want to have to go too many times in a week because it would be quite a lot of travelling to do all the time... anyway I guess that I'll just have to wait and see... thanks again for giving some idea as what to expect... you're a real gem Gemini... cheers.

...thankyou so much for that insight as to what I might expect... it sounds like I might be in the... 'They'll come up with a treatment plan for you and most likely send you home with exercises to do until your next session'... type of patient... that I don't mind at all... after all... I'm already doing the very same thing as per instructions from the Katoomba Hospital Rehab Physios since I got home...

...I really didn't want to have to go too many times in a week because it would be quite a lot of travelling to do all the time... anyway I guess that I'll just have to wait and see... thanks again for giving some idea as what to expect... you're a real gem Gemini... cheers.

Also don't hesitate to call them if you need things clarified! You probably won't get a concrete plan until your first session when you and your physio generate a treatment plan but they see a lot of patients so they might be able to give you some information.

And no worries at all Sticky. Keep up the amazing work! You're an inspiration.

Also don't hesitate to call them if you need things clarified! You probably won't get a concrete plan until your first session when you and your physio generate a treatment plan but they see a lot of patients so they might be able to give you some information.

And no worries at all Sticky. Keep up the amazing work! You're an inspiration.

...cool bananas!... thankyou my friend... cheers.

...anyhow... as I say... as with everyone else... my Doctor is just as perplexed as to the cause of my stroke in the end... I will keep you all posted as to the next steps of my endeavours in future posts my friends... (if you don't get too bored with reading about it lol!)... as long as you all are interested... I'll keep informing you... if you stop wanting to know I'll stop posting about it and let this post die a natural death if you wish... cheers.

PLEASE keep posting about your recovery Mr S, it WILL inspire and help others in a similar situation, to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. You hit the nail on the head in a previous post when you said you had been WORKING HARD at your recovery, that's what it takes. Here's a few laughs to mull over while you exercise :)

Some prayers are more meaningful than others:

Dear GOD:
Instead of letting people die and having to make new ones, why don't You just keep the ones You have?
-Amy

Dear GOD:

Maybe Cain and Abel would not kill each other so much if they had their own rooms. It works with my brother.

-Larry

Dear GOD:

If You watch me in church on Sunday, I'll show You my new shoes.

-Mickey

Dear GOD:

I bet it is very hard for You to love all of everybody in the whole world. There are only 4 people in our family and I can never do it.

Dear GOD:

I read the Bible. What does "begat" mean? Nobody will tell me.

-Love, Alison

Dear GOD:

Are You really invisible or is it just a trick?

-Lucy

Dear GOD:

Is it true my father won't get in Heaven if he uses his bowling words in the house?

-Anita

Dear GOD,

Did You mean for the giraffe to look like that or was it an accident?

-Norma

Dear GOD,

Who draws the lines around the countries?

-Jan

Dear GOD,

What does it mean You are a Jealous God? I thought You had everything.

-Jane

Dear GOD,

Did You really mean "do unto others as they do unto you"? Because if You did, then I'm going to fix my brother.

-Darla

Dear GOD,

Thank you for the baby brother, but what I prayed for was a puppy.

-Joyce

Dear GOD,

Why is Sunday school on Sunday? I thought it was supposed to be a day of rest.

-Tom L.

Dear GOD,

Please send me a pony. I never asked for anything before You can look it up.

-Bruce

Dear GOD,

If we come back as something - Please don't let me be Jennifer Horton because I hate her.

-Denise

Dear GOD,

If you give me a genie like Aladdin, I will give You anything You want, except my money or my chess set.

-Raphael

Dear GOD,

My brother is a rat. You should give him a tail. Ha! Ha!

-Danny

Dear GOD,

I want to be just like my Daddy when I get big but not with so much hair all over.

-Tom

Dear GOD,

You don't have to worry about me. I always look both ways.

-Dean

Dear GOD,

I think the stapler is one of your greatest inventions.

Ruth M.

Dear GOD,

I think about You sometimes even when I'm not praying.

-Elliott

Dear GOD,

Of all the people who work for You I like Noah and David the best.

-Rob

Dear GOD,

We read Thomas Edison made light. But in Sunday school they said You did it. So I bet he stole your idea.

Sincerely, Donna

Dear GOD,

I didn't think orange went with purple until I saw the sunset You made on Tuesday. That was cool.

PLEASE keep posting about your recovery Mr S, it WILL inspire and help others in a similar situation, to see that there is light at the end of the tunnel. You hit the nail on the head in a previous post when you said you had been WORKING HARD at your recovery, that's what it takes. Here's a few laughs to mull over while you exercise...:)

...thanks so much for those quotes by those children to God tedfthis... they are so funny!... they made my day!... lol!...

...thanks for the kind words my friend... I have decided to keep posting each step of my progression of my rehabilitation because of just how many people have asked me to both on the this thread and also from people that have PMmed me privately on this... I've been quite overwhelmed that some members have opened up to me about some family members and also some friends that have had strokes of various kinds in those PM's... it was kind of them to do so...

...as I said in one of those PM's... when I decided to share my plight with everyone I had no idea whatsoever as to what a raw nerve that I was tapping into... I've come to realise that one of the reasons why so many people are interested in my progress of rehabilitation is because it's probably helping some understand just what their family member has had to go through to get themselves better and also as to how they might have handled it emotionally and perhaps is giving them some insight into their personal thoughts during their recovery... (I guess that each person has different reactions and emotions in regards to what type of stroke they have so my recovery is just one persons outlook on it in the end)...

...sweet Rose711 has urged me to write a book on my personal journey through all of this... I guess that as I am opening up to everyone as I go it is almost as if I'm writing it as I go lol!... as I wrote in a previous post I see my Neurologist on the 18th of this month and go back to Physio rehab on the 20th of this month... I'm really interested to see if the Neurologist has figured out exactly what did cause my stroke from looking at the results of all the scans that I have had done... none of the Doctor's have been able to tell me so far... I really would like to pinpoint what caused it as I never want to go through any of this again... a Doctor up at Katoomba Hospital actually said to me that I may end up being in the 30% of people that never find out what caused my stroke... now THAT scares the hell out of me!... I wish that she didn't tell me that to be truthful... as I say... I hope this Neurologist can tell me... I really want to do everything in my power to conquer this rather annoying episode in my life...

...anyway... I will keep you posted when I find out... and thanks for the encouragement with your kind words tedfthis... cheers.

Hi Mr Stickyfingers. I haven't been here on the forum since last year. I am sorry to learn you haven't been well but I very pleased that you are feeling a lot better.

...thankyou Daltrim... that is so kind of you to say that and is very much appreciated... (for you ------> :))... cheers.

I've been looking for answers for you Sticky, because I can understand the "not knowing" why something happened isnt helpful, because you have to wonder whether you had contributed to it yourself, or had been prescribed or advised to use drugs on misinformation by doctors, manufacturers etc.

There was an article in the Courier Mail on April 2nd on page 9 titled "Painkillers to signal heart attack risk". It mentions common over the counter Nurofen, Voltarex and Naproxen, as increasing the risk of heart attacks and strokes. It says "the labels of oral medications containing Flurbiprofen, Ibuprofen, Ketoprofen, Mefenamic acid or Naproxen will require an advisory statement to the effect that excessive or prolonged use can increase the risk of heart attack or stroke". If you want the article (I couldnt find this actual article online) PM me, I can scan the article for you, Sticky.

I also found this interesting:
http://healthfinder.gov/News/NewsLetter.aspx?id=heart030215

I found the first few sentences of the 1st article to be interesting.

Something as common as TOO MUCH sleep wouldnt normally be considered a trigger for a heart attack or a stroke, by the lay person. The 1st 2 articles on that page might be of interest.

I think in the case of prescribed or over the counter painkillers, nobody is going to be quick to put their hand up to the fact that they might be the contributing to the cause and not the solution, in increasing heart attack and stroke risks. I'm wondering whether that 30% that never find out, or dont get told, what probably caused their stroke/heart attack, fall into any of these categories.

As you would know, to have any surgery in Australia, you are presented with a bunch of papers to read, all absolving the hospital and medical staff of any blame if anything goes wrong. I took the time to read through the papers they put in front of me and nobody in their sane mind would sign them. But of course, if you dont sign them, they wont do the surgery, so you dont really have a choice.

Keep doing the exercises :).

I've been looking for answers for you Sticky, because I can understand the "not knowing" why something happened isnt helpful, because you have to wonder whether you had contributed to it yourself, or had been prescribed or advised to use drugs on misinformation by doctors, manufacturers etc.

There was an article in the Courier Mail on April 2nd on page 9 titled "Painkillers to signal heart attack risk". It mentions common over the counter Nurofen, Voltarex and Naproxen, as increasing the risk of heart attacks and strokes. It says "the labels of oral medications containing Flurbiprofen, Ibuprofen, Ketoprofen, Mefenamic acid or Naproxen will require an advisory statement to the effect that excessive or prolonged use can increase the risk of heart attack or stroke". If you want the article (I couldnt find this actual article online) PM me, I can scan the article for you, Sticky.

I also found this interesting:
http://healthfinder.gov/News/NewsLetter.aspx?id=heart030215

I found the first few sentences of the 1st article to be interesting.

Something as common as TOO MUCH sleep wouldnt normally be considered a trigger for a heart attack or a stroke, by the lay person. The 1st 2 articles on that page might be of interest.

I think in the case of prescribed or over the counter painkillers, nobody is going to be quick to put their hand up to the fact that they might be the contributing to the cause and not the solution, in increasing heart attack and stroke risks. I'm wondering whether that 30% that never find out, or dont get told, what probably caused their stroke/heart attack, fall into any of these categories.

As you would know, to have any surgery in Australia, you are presented with a bunch of papers to read, all absolving the hospital and medical staff of any blame if anything goes wrong. I took the time to read through the papers they put in front of me and nobody in their sane mind would sign them. But of course, if you dont sign them, they wont do the surgery, so you dont really have a choice.

Keep doing the exercises :).

...Tedfthis I am really grateful to you for caring about me enough to tell me all of this... I really am... you are right about the 'not knowing' as to why I had the stroke... it really is a worry to me to be honest... as I mentioned in a previous post my GP was quite shocked that I had this stroke because I was in the best of health after a year and a half of obeying her wishes in cutting out alcohol/not eating too much sugary stuff/exercising/etc etc... I was in the best shape that I had been in for years...

...I had all of my sugar levels under control... my blood pressure and my Cholesterol too... (mind you... I do take medication to make them so)... I was having my blood checked every 6 months... I even had a little present sent to me by Tony Abbott to take samples of my poo to send in for testing... (I'm in that age bracket where they send you a 'shit-kit'... I must be old methinks lol!)... so everything was going really fine for me...

...the medication that my GP was providing to me must have been fine to take because the Doctors in both Hospitals were fine with them and continued to provide me with the same so I guess that my GP had got it right... the only addition to my tablets prescribed by the Hospital Doctor's were an 'Aspirin' tablet to take alongside my 'Plavix' tablet that I had been taking to thin my blood for the last 41/2 years since my first stroke... they didn't want to put me on 'Warfarin' because they didn't want me to be taking such a strong tablet that may cause big problems at a later stage...

...I found that article from the 'Courier Mail' that you were talking about titled "Painkillers to signal heart attack risk" on this link below...

http://www.pressreader.com/australia/the-courier-mail/20150402/281724088057702/TextView

...I'm going to print it out and show it to her the next time that I see her because I've been taking 'Panadol Osteo' tablets for quite a few years now for a back injury that I've had since I was 24 years old... as I've got older it has come back to cause me grief in older age... I've been having 'Physio' for it for a couple of years now... (to be honest I don't think that those tablets do anything to ease the pain but I'm not game to take anything stronger)...

...in regards to my sleep patterns... I used to be a night owl because I found that I could get through oodles of computer work late at night and I got into a routine of staying up until about 3:30 AM and waking up at around 8:30 AM so I was only getting about 5 hours sleep each night... it used to suit me fine...but when my stroke happened and I ended up in Hospital they used to wake us all up at the ungodly time of 6:30 AM!...

...I got used to getting up so early after having to do it for the month or so in the Hospitals so now I've given myself a 10:30 to midnight curfew and wake up around 6:30 to 7:30 AM each morning... my sweet darling wife and I now have breakfast out on the back deck a little earlier than we used to... I also do my exercises once I'm out there too... it's great...

...so once again tedfthis I thank you so very much for your concern and also for the heads up about that article... I appreciate it very much... you are a good friend... cheers.

Love you Mr. S. Sorry I haven't posted. I won't ever stop reading your stuff.

Take good care of yourself.

Happy Easter!!

...I just thought that I might give you all some minor little updates... (but they are major inroads for me I guess)... last night I was able to achieve two objectives that I've been trying to achieve from day one of my recovery process...

(1)... I have finally managed to touch my little finger tip with my thumb on my left hand as it is supposed to do instead of merely being able to touch any part of the finger like I was able to do before... now I can do it like so!... (it's not my hand though)...

Varun-Mudra.jpg

(2)... I can finally fully open my thumb outstretched to about 45O which is exactly the same distance as my right hand!... just like this... (again not my actual hand)...

45Hand.jpg

...I guess that they are not such great strides in comparison to my trying to walk as good as I used to be able to but as I have said in previous posts... baby steps...lol!... my hand is 99% back to how it used to be but the only reason that I don't say 100% is because it still lacks the strength that it used to have... (I'm working hard at trying to recover my strength but that seems to be taking a lot longer than I thought it would do unfortunately)...

...speaking of my trying to walk as good as I used to... I have managed to refine my taking of steps as I walk along... I'm not 'klonking' or 'slapping' my foot down as I walk anymore or even doing a circular motion with my foot either... it's important that I bring my leg and foot from under my hip in a swinging motion in a straight line before putting my heel down first with each step and then rolling through the foot and pushing off with my toes and then lifting my leg up and continuing the forward momentum by repeating the process over and over again... it is so damn hard to do believe me but I'm getting there...

...I'm going to the 'Physio' at the Hospital on the 20th of this month as I have said previously so I am hoping that they may be able to show me other exercises to do on top of what I'm doing now... in the meantime I'm doing as much as I can to rebuild my body strength to what it once was...

...anyhow... that's where I'm up to... but as I said before...the little inroads with my thumb and hand to what they can do may not be such big news but you did all ask me to report any part of my progress as I go along so there you have it... I am just so stoked that I can do those things now... I'm finally feeling like I'm getting back to being me again... cheers.

Last edited:
...I forgot to tell you... my sweet darling wife and I used to take a daily walk around either a 3 Kilometre route around the blocks where we live or a 1.5 Kilometre route depending on circumstances... (like her 2 hip operations etc lol!)...well guess what?... for the last 3 days I've managed to walk the 1.5 Kilometre route with her!... woohoo!... soooooooooo proud!... cheers.

Back