Skip to main content

…MR STICKYFINGERS (sort of) BOWS OUT FOR A WHILE…

...nutmeg.... my dear friend... I really am moved that you had a cry for me... we have never physically met... in essence we are total strangers except for our friendship through words and feelings conveyed on this wonderful website... I said in... (I think)... my second post that I believe that we are like a cyber family on here... with you telling me that I feel that what I said was true... thankyou so much for telling me that... it means a lot to me it really does...

...you know something nutmeg... telling me that you have lived through this experience with me full circle because of my postings has made me realise something that I didn't take into account before... I was going to say nothing about me having a stroke when it first happened... I was just going to stay away and recover slowly and quietly slink back into here and just continue on as usual...after all... it is a very personal crisis... I was beaten up and felt really down for the first few days and never thought for a second that I would be posting for at least three months or so if I was that lucky...opening up and having enough respect for you glorious wonderful people that I regard as my friends and telling you about it was such a hard personal decision to make...

...revealing so much about my inner self and my personal inner feelings is a first for me... revealing that to public viewing was very hard for me to do... but I am so glad that I did... revealing my inner thoughts so openly has really allowed me to let it all out... freed my mind of inner fears and has taken me on a personal journey of self healing due to me being able to talk to others so openly... you wonderful people saying such kind things about me and inspiring me to keep going truley has been a blessing to me!...

...I strongly suggest to anybody else that may unfortunately ever encounter something similar to open up and keep the rest of us up to date about yourself... it is such a soul cleansing thing to do for yourself... it really does help believe me... letting the rest of us know and not leaving us having to speculate on what happened to you for weeks or even months later... I now think that it shows respect enough for all of the rest of us to be able to keep us informed to be honest... I'm so glad that I took that step...

...as soon as I am able I will go and read your latest Dr Who review nutmeg... as you well know... I'm a big fan of Meglos's and your reviews and all the other input by others to do with Doctor Who... always keep them coming please lol!...

Thanks for such a lovely reply. I am just so happy for you and Mrs Stickyfingers that things are working out so well. And I'm glad you decided to share and that it has helped your wellbeing. People care, and sometimes it's important to hear it. I hope you still keep us up-to-date on your progress.

Mr Nutmeg's father had a stroke a few years ago and I would take him to his rehab sessions, so I know how hard these things can be. That would be why I was so upset for you, because I've seen what a terrible thing it is to endure, and I mean no disrespect by saying this, but also what a personally degrading thing it can be in terms of your sense of self, i.e. one day you're you and the next day you're a different person, a disabled person, with no time to get used to it, just BAM, that's who you are now, and you don't know what the future holds. It is just so hard, especially at the start, before you and your loved ones get to enjoy seeing improvements. So I really felt for you, but now share the joy of your successes. Yay.

It is amazing what the body can do. So keep at it, with your usual good nature, and this will all just be a distant memory one day.

Mr. S.: you should write a book to help people who are recovering. You are so inspiring. I'm learning from your determination and success. I realize that I can give up too easily or be distracted from my goals.

You could illustrate it too!

Thanks for such a lovely reply. I am just so happy for you and Mrs Stickyfingers that things are working out so well. And I'm glad you decided to share and that it has helped your wellbeing. People care, and sometimes it's important to hear it. I hope you still keep us up-to-date on your progress.

Mr Nutmeg's father had a stroke a few years ago and I would take him to his rehab sessions, so I know how hard these things can be. That would be why I was so upset for you, because I've seen what a terrible thing it is to endure, and I mean no disrespect by saying this, but also what a personally degrading thing it can be in terms of your sense of self, i.e. one day you're you and the next day you're a different person, a disabled person, with no time to get used to it, just BAM, that's who you are now, and you don't know what the future holds. It is just so hard, especially at the start, before you and your loved ones get to enjoy seeing improvements. So I really felt for you, but now share the joy of your successes. Yay.

It is amazing what the body can do. So keep at it, with your usual good nature, and this will all just be a distant memory one day.

…nutmeg… as with the rest of you wonderful people that have expressed such great words of encouragement… I thank you all so much… it really has helped me so much… as I have already touched upon in my previous posts … when it originally happened I was really down and beaten up… I put on a cheery face for my first post because that’s the way I am but I wasn’t really being fully sincere with you wonderful people… I did it because I felt that it was probably best that I inform you all as to what was going on with me because there’s nothing worse than when somebody suddenly stops posting and then we all speculate as to why they are not posting…

…I then didn’t want it to look like I was doing a ‘look at me!... look at me!’ type of grand standing as I have previously said before… also I didn’t want to sound too down-hearted and beaten up so that it appeared that I was asking for the ‘woe is me!’ sympathy… I had too much respect for you people as posters to go in that direction… but as I said…I did feel the need to tell you what had happened to me…

…as I also touched upon in an earlier post… my opening up to you all was such a hard thing to do because you are exposing your inner emotions and feelings to the world and I am not that type of person usually to have the courage to do that… I am so glad that I did… I felt confident enough within myself to post my ordeal in the end… you are all really great… caring people and I am so grateful for that… I would never had dreamt to do that on any other website that I have ever been on before… there are some very nasty wicked people that would take great delight in kicking you while you were down… the fact that I felt confident enough to tell all of you is both a credit to you all and a credit to this great website… I don’t trust people very easily so it was a big leap of faith on my part I can tell you… but I did it…

You are so correct nutmeg when you said…

That would be why I was so upset for you, because I've seen what a terrible thing it is to endure, and I mean no disrespect by saying this, but also what a personally degrading thing it can be in terms of your sense of self, i.e. one day you're you and the next day you're a different person, a disabled person, with no time to get used to it, just BAM, that's who you are now, and you don't know what the future holds

…I did feel guilty for being in this position on the first night that I was admitted into Hospital… why I did I’m not sure… it wasn’t like I put myself into this situation due to ignoring Doctors advice or for eating the wrong things or for not exercising due to me being lazy… it just happened possibly due to the fact that that my body is over producing something to cause my blood to clot… (at least that is what my Doctors are alluding to at this point in time… until I have further tests I guess they won’t know for sure)… so it seems at this point in time I haven’t caused me to be like this yet I still felt guilty… I did feel degraded… you could say that I felt ashamed of myself… it was embarrassing for myself to be honest with you…I even had a big cry to myself in bed while everyone was sleeping in the other beds that first night… I even thought about just how my beautiful darling wife and family and friends would cope if I had died from my stroke…. >>> a massive reality check right there peoples<<<...

…when the next morning arrived the guys in the other beds started talking to me to find out who I am … why I’m in there etc… I told them that I had a possible stroke kind of thing and that I had absolutely no feelings on my left side… I was feeling so sorry for myself… when they told me their problems it snapped me back into reality on a different level… I realised that there are always people that are a lot worse off than yourself…

…I’ve always had the philosophy that you don’t get mad… you get even… after speaking to them it snapped me back into that philosophy that I’ve always abided by my entire life… I thought…’okay Life… kick me in the guts but I’m going to kick you back you bastard… I’m going to get better for my wife’s sake… nothing on this wonderful Earth is going to stop me… my beautiful wonderful wife needs me in her life… she needs me to be healthy and strong again’… from the moment that I made that decision my recovery began… it was easy going from that point onwards as far as I was concerned…no matter how hard the physical exercises in the Gym… no matter how hard the mental stress I was never going to lose from that point onwards… that probably accounts for my rather rapid recovery I guess…

…I’ve also realised just how big a hole that I would leave in people’s lives around me if I died from this… my wife’s … my family … my friends… perhaps even my cyber family upon this website lol!... (wow!… no more Sticky raves and rants… no more ridiculous Photoshops lol!)… anyhow… moving on… so yeah… (yet another reality check again eh?)… I guess I just took everything around me for granted… I knew that I was important in their lives but never realised just how much… a very humbling experience for me and I am eternally grateful to have the opportunity to get back to where I was and revel again in their love and activities alongside them once again…

…regardless of what has happened to me… I am a very blessed man… I will never take my family and friends for granted again… I will cherish their love and friendship always… I will do whatever it takes to never have this happen to me again… I’ve always loved the life that I have had… and will embrace it to the max even more than I have ever done before…

NOTE:…Oh God!... I have just read what I have been writing… it sounds so ‘preachy preachy’… I was going to edit it like I do all my posts before clicking the ‘reply to thread’ button to sound less so but then thought … no!… that’s what I felt… that’s what was written… honestly and from the heart… Stuffit!... it stays as written… I don’t care if it sounds ‘wishy washy’… sorry about the short novel-length ramblings but I feel good about having said all… well that’s enough about me… moving on…

your attitude makes for a great recovery. i got sliced into my brain. thats done and gone but how you see stuff after can be epic. small hills or mountains.

…Small hills and mountains indeed somebimbo… it’s just time… doing baby steps over time amounts to a lot of steps until you are back to square one but I’m finding that it works and is so worth it!... thanks for the kind words… they are much appreciated…

Mr. S.: you should write a book to help people who are recovering. You are so inspiring. I'm learning from your determination and success. I realize that I can give up too easily or be distracted from my goals.

You could illustrate it too!

Rose711…I have actually written a fantasy book about a mythological creature that befriends a little 4 year old girl that is set in the Blue Mountains… I’ve just began writing the sequel to it while recovering in Hospital in between my having to go to the Gymnasium lol!... I haven’t bothered to try and get the first one published yet but who knows?... one day perhaps… and yes… I’m doing all of the illustrations and artwork for them myself lol!...

…a book about my stroke?… that may not be such a bad idea Rose711… but exposing even more about my inner thoughts and feelings that I have already done on here?... that would take even more courage than I have already been capable of… but who knows?.... maybe… just maybe… when writing a book about a mythological creature it is just your imagination at work…writing about your own personal thoughts and feelings is your inner soul at work… but maybe… just maybe…

…thankyou for posting within here all of you wonderful people…cheers

...hello you wonderful people... another update on my progress... I am wearing a contraption that makes me look like some sort of suicide bomber for 24 hours to monitor my heart to see if my heart may actually stop at times… (a scary thought for me my friends)… the physios are satisfied that I have got my body strength to a point whereas most of my time in there is now concentrating on refinements of my movements instead… that means that when I am doing my exercises I’m to do slow precise movements rather than just trying to do power exercises…

…I was doing such exercises before but not with the concentration on such refinement…I’ve still got the wobbles with my left arm and leg respectively… they’re making me do ‘reaching’ exercises for my arms and ‘step up’ type of exercises for my legs… and have also been doing intensive hand exercises with the emphasis on picking up the minutest of objects while being timed etc… it is so bloody hard to do but fortunately my hand is now about 90% back to its old self…

…the arm and leg wobbles will still be with me for a while even though I am recovering so quickly… that can only improve with time regardless of how much I try… I will still be going to rehabilitation as an ‘out-patient’ when I leave this Hospital… (hopefully this Friday they have scheduled it)…

…at our home we have built a big open-air veranda about a year or so ago with hand railings so that I can continue to do all of my designated exercises each morning with my sweet wife while having our breakfast as we tend to do … I can’t wait to recapture that moment again from… (hopefully)… Saturday onwards…

…I’m scheduled to have a ‘TOE’ on Thursday which has something to do with putting ink into me again and then shoving a camera down my throat… (thank God that it’s not the other direction lol!)… and then taking a 3 dimensional image of my heart from within my windpipe from what I gather… (please correct me if I’ve got that wrong you nurses out there)… so that’s where it all sits at the moment my friends…

…roll on to Friday for my parole from this great Hospital… this laptop has served me well but my desktop computer is way better to type on… I’ve been limited by having to use a pre-paid Telstra dongle that has run out on me on one occasion until I topped it up so I haven’t had time to catch up on other threads and have not been able to participate accordingly…hopefully that too changes from Saturday onwards… anyway… that’s about it yet again… keep on posting you wonderful people…. cheers.

Hey Mr Stickyfingers - I haven't been here much of late but am amazed at your fantastic progress and love your kick a$$ attitude!
you are an inspiration :)

...thanks so much my friend...sometimes having a kick a$$ attitude and using my resolute stubbornness for 'good instead of evil'... (to quote Maxwell Smart)... does come in handy... as my dearly beloved wife keeps saying... "it's about time that your stubbornness is working for you instead of against you and getting yourself into trouble!"... (God bless her subtleness lol!) ... thanks for the kind words crimmy... cheers.

Mr. S. I think you have a great deal of courage. A book might help inspire people who get depressed and discouraged. I think you could do a short thing with illustrations. I mean you are a ray of sunshine here even with all your difficulties. You could help people in your situation.

Good luck with all your procedures. I'm sure you will get through it with flying colors. And remember, if you do have any setback, it's temporary and you can overcome it.

Please keep us posted.

Whatever you're doing, Sticky, keep doing it! Glad you're getting well again. xx

...thankyou sweet jam... (**drools like Homer Simpson**... Aaaaaaargh... sweet jammmm...)... my Physios are actually using me as a source of inspiration to some of the other patients in the Gym now... apparently my joking around in between my exercises but taking my hard workouts seriously are some sort of Ying and Yang to them from what I am gathering... my singing ... 'always look on the bright side of life' from 'The Life of Brian' while I'm pushing myself cracks everyone up... so I'm guessing that they think that I'm a 'Mr Sparkles' or something lol!...

Mr. S. I think you have a great deal of courage. A book might help inspire people who get depressed and discouraged. I think you could do a short thing with illustrations. I mean you are a ray of sunshine here even with all your difficulties. You could help people in your situation.

Good luck with all your procedures. I'm sure you will get through it with flying colors. And remember, if you do have any setback, it's temporary and you can overcome it.

Please keep us posted.

...well Rose711... I spoke to my sweet darling wife about that on the phone last night... (she couldn't come up to the mountains to see me because it's too far at times)... she said that it isn't too bad an idea so who knows?... maybe... just maybe... I'll have to think about it methinks...

Sending you positive energised hugs Mr S ;)

You still manage to keep an upbeat look on things. Just amazing.

Take care xoxoxox

...hey Groover... thanks so much for that... I was told by the head Physio lady today that I'm to get some rest tonight because she is taking me for a long walk outside in the Hospital grounds tomorrow so I'm guessing that they're taking me for a 'test run' tomorrow to see how I'm going to go in the big wide world on my own or something... I sure hope that there is some slow drizzling rain falling down upon us when it happens... I so love walking in the rain with that wet 'earthy' smell wafting up my nostrils.... (once a pommy bastard... always a pommy bastard eh?... lol!)... thanks for your kind words... cheers.

...hey all... a quick update... it's my second last day in Rehabilitation my friends... I've passed all of my tests by the Physio's to enable me to leave tomorrow... (yippeeeee!)... I've been starving myself today for my T.O.E... (it was cancel last week at the last minute)... so obviously I'm not looking forward to it too much...

...I haven't had to work out in the Gymnasium at all today apart from doing those tests... I'm to rest because of the procedure to come at around 3:00... I've had 2 pieces of toast and have had minute quantities of water only since I woke up this morning... I'm going to the Hospital Kiosk to order 16 hamburgers afterwards!... lol!... (I just hope that my dietician doesn't spring me lol!)...

...anyway... that's it you wonderful peoples... happy posting... cheers.

...hey all... a quick update... it's my second last day in Rehabilitation my friends... I've passed all of my tests by the Physio's to enable me to leave tomorrow... (yippeeeee!)... I've been starving myself today for my T.O.E... (it was cancel last week at the last minute)... so obviously I'm not looking forward to it too much...

...I haven't had to work out in the Gymnasium at all today apart from doing those tests... I'm to rest because of the procedure to come at around 3:00... I've had 2 pieces of toast and have had minute quantities of water only since I woke up this morning... I'm going to the Hospital Kiosk to order 16 hamburgers afterwards!... lol!... (I just hope that my dietician doesn't spring me lol!)...

Out just in time for Big Brother Canada! Are you in?

Oh and I'm happy that you are going home. Maybe being at home will help your recovery even more.... Not that you need it, you've been like a super hero through out this whole thing. Very inspiring!

Great stuff, sticky!

Enjoy the freedom and continue to look after yourself... maybe leave out the 16 hamburgers though lol

xx

...haha... that dietician must have got into my head while I'm in here... I never had any at all lol!... thanks sweetgeek...

Out just in time for Big Brother Canada! Are you in?

Oh and I'm happy that you are going home. Maybe being at home will help your recovery even more.... Not that you need it, you've been like a super hero through out this whole thing. Very inspiring!

...yep!... deal me in for BB Canada for sure... and yes... I'm sure that being home again will be the tonic that I need to get me to 100% for sure Inigo... thankyou for the kind words...

Will be great to have you home MrS.

...home and home on my favourite computer again instead of the laptop and a dongal with a time limit... I'll be able to fully participate in the other threads again instead of only updating this thread... woohoo!... thankyou Cowie...

So lovely for you and your darling, sweet wife. Enjoy! xx

...yes... my sweet darling wife that I love cherish and adore... I can't wait to snuggle up in bed with her tomorrow night and kiss her goodnight... it's been about a month since I last did it in our own home... **sigh!**... I can't wait... thanks Jam... cheers.

...I haven't had to work out in the Gymnasium at all today apart from doing those tests... I'm to rest because of the procedure to come at around 3:00... I've had 2 pieces of toast and have had minute quantities of water only since I woke up this morning... I'm going to the Hospital Kiosk to order 16 hamburgers afterwards!... lol!... (I just hope that my dietician doesn't spring me lol!)

Awesome work! I might have to bottle your motivation! On serious note, talk to your GP, let people help you and be kind to yourself

Hi. Mr Stickyfingers, sorry to hear you had a stroke, had mine 10 years in Aug this year, you get good at typing one finger , more of a trial cutting your meals with one hand. be good do what the physio tells you, will come on more often to see how you are going.

...hello kenn...it'so nice to hear from you again!... wow!... you had one ten years ago... so no doubt you had a similar gamut of feelings too throughout your initial stroke and following rehabilitation recovery period too then my friend?... you are so right...doing such simple things that you always took for granted such as cutting up your food for yourself... buttering your own toast... such simple tasks... such monumental achievements that you reach with such hard work... I do hope that you managed to achieve a full recovery from it as I intend to do... thanks for posting such kind words...

Awesome work! I might have to bottle your motivation! On serious note, talk to your GP, let people help you and be kind to yourself

...thanks delcan... my Physios spoke about bottling my motivation for others too!... one of them said that if they could put it in a spray can form it would be good to get it and give somebody a quick squirt under the arms when they begin to flag and show the first signs of giving up lol!... so it's funny that you say that!... (great minds thinking alike moment there lol!)... and in regards to seeing my GP... my sweet darling wife has us booked in to see her early next week... so yeah... no worries in following your thankful advice their my friend... cheers.

Back