Skip to main content

BBAU 2022: Promos and other news (includes spoilers)

Yeah sorry I know that it is used in the BBUS and BBCan series. I’m asking whether the term “houseguest” is also used in society for people you live with but aren’t related to?

Edited to add: now I re-read your response you might have answered in saying that it’s just a weird translation from the Dutch series. 👌🏽
If I had company staying with me temporarily I’d describe them as house guests.

Edited to add: now I re-read your response you might have answered in saying that it’s just a weird translation from the Dutch series. 👌🏽
Resident is the term used in both the Dutch and German series. My only other theory is that the term “mate” isn’t common in North American English.

Although we’d use the term roommate to describe someone you share a house with it would feel awkward using it in the same way houseguest/housemate is used in BB. Simply using the term resident feels ineloquent.

As I said before the term houseguest does make sense if you consider housemates are really just guests in Big Brother’s house.

Although we’d use the term roommate to describe someone you share a house with
Such a strange term as you'd be pretty unlikely to be sharing a room with anyone who isn't your partner.

But then NZ uses "flatmate" regardless of whether you share a flat, apartment, house etc.

Haha this reminds me, how is the term “houseguests” used in North America outside of BBUS or BBCan?

I live with 2 friends and often call them my housemates. Would they be called houseguests over there? ‘Guests’ seems to imply visitors as opposed to actually living there?
I can answer this one.
Houseguests are visitors. Like if my sister visits for a week or two she’s a houseguest.

People who live together are roommates, even if they have their own room. So if my sister moved in with me, she would be my roommate.

The intruders being an "actor" and "podcaster" sum up everything that is wrong with reality TV casting nowadays.

Ohhhhh I thought he was familiar. Didn’t know he was an actor and probably haven’t seen him unless he was in the last few mins of home and away over the last couple of years 😜 but I have seen him on TikTok, he is friends with Beau Ryan and recently he and his wife had a child.

The intruders being an "actor" and "podcaster" sum up everything that is wrong with reality TV casting nowadays.

I literally followed Good Bitch (the pod Jules co-hosts) like a month ago when she interviewed Brent from MAFS. I never noticed from the Initial promos.

It's just all so incestuous too - not only do they rarely cast people with proper jobs but so often there is a link to another reality star or TV personality.
Who has a proper job in this cast? I guess the OGs do. Can’t think of anyone else.

I usually like to reserve my judgement until we see them in the episodes, but I can guarantee Brent will be like watching paint dry. I'm sure us viewers are dying to see a 26 y.o bible-bashing entrepreneur/actor enter the house and shake things up! /s

Back