Skip to main content

THE VIRUS 2020 - the good, the bad, and the ugly

@up_all_night how have you rated the responses of the various political leaders in Australia in regards to covid and all the complications surrounding such a complex situation? How do you think the states in Australia should move forward once vaccination rates reach eighty percent double dosed?

No one has been terrible. I think every state has been in different circumstances. I'm going to circle back to this.

We probably shouldn't be opening up at 80% double vaxed. Aim for higher, but that's not really an option.

I feel people fail to understand what letting the virus rip will actually mean. An aspect people find very hard to discuss or wrap their heads around is people die all the time for a lot of reasons. There are many people in society who are very susceptible to dying. In the final months/years of their life.

People seem to think mentioning or talking about this is callous. Somehow disregarding their lives or blaming them. When it's just looking at reality. In places that didn't contain the virus, the majority of people that died were these groups. Vaccines won't provide this group complete protection. So opening up here will have more deaths than I think people are realising. The number of people that will get COVID, not be fully protected and get sick and die needs to be understood.

I expect there to be a blame game, distortion of the inevitable deaths and cases once we open up. The state opposition leaders who are going, "open up, open up." Will be ready to turn around on a dime and blame these deaths on the premiers. It will be a shit show.

As for rating the complex situation. You know who deserves the lowest rating? The idiots and morons in the community that have screwed us over. What's happening in Melbourne and what drove Sydney's outbreaks is the failure of certain people in the community. Society is broken and non-cohesive. When large groups, the majority can understand and follow the rules. With other groups who don't listen, or just ignore. Stuffing it up for everyone else.

Here's an anecdote of people one of my friends know who lives in the part of Melbourne driving the spread.

A person is suffering symptoms, so they go and get a test. After getting tested they go and visit a family. Doesn't tell the family they might have covid. That night informs the family they tested positive. So the grown-up child in that household still goes to work the next day. Getting a test the following day. The entire family has COVID and so has people in that workplace.

All completely avoidable.

Also, Scomo is vaccine failure is the biggest failure of an Aussie politician.

How can any reasonably intelligent person support Melbourne's record breaking lockdowns? And are people so blind that they cannot see that the government will be using covid, a disease that will stay for us forever, as a way to blatantly and maliciously control it's citizens?

No one has been terrible. I think every state has been in different circumstances. I'm going to circle back to this.

We probably shouldn't be opening up at 80% double vaxed. Aim for higher, but that's not really an option.

I feel people fail to understand what letting the virus rip will actually mean. An aspect people find very hard to discuss or wrap their heads around is people die all the time for a lot of reasons. There are many people in society who are very susceptible to dying. In the final months/years of their life.

People seem to think mentioning or talking about this is callous. Somehow disregarding their lives or blaming them. When it's just looking at reality. In places that didn't contain the virus, the majority of people that died were these groups. Vaccines won't provide this group complete protection. So opening up here will have more deaths than I think people are realising. The number of people that will get COVID, not be fully protected and get sick and die needs to be understood.

I expect there to be a blame game, distortion of the inevitable deaths and cases once we open up. The state opposition leaders who are going, "open up, open up." Will be ready to turn around on a dime and blame these deaths on the premiers. It will be a shit show.

As for rating the complex situation. You know who deserves the lowest rating? The idiots and morons in the community that have screwed us over. What's happening in Melbourne and what drove Sydney's outbreaks is the failure of certain people in the community. Society is broken and non-cohesive. When large groups, the majority can understand and follow the rules. With other groups who don't listen, or just ignore. Stuffing it up for everyone else.

Here's an anecdote of people one of my friends know who lives in the part of Melbourne driving the spread.

A person is suffering symptoms, so they go and get a test. After getting tested they go and visit a family. Doesn't tell the family they might have covid. That night informs the family they tested positive. So the grown-up child in that household still goes to work the next day. Getting a test the following day. The entire family has COVID and so has people in that workplace.

All completely avoidable.

Also, Scomo is vaccine failure is the biggest failure of an Aussie politician.
Thank you for that succinct answer. What is your opinion on the current protests?

Thank you for that succinct answer. What is your opinion on the current protests?

You trying to set up another long winded reply? 😂

source.gif

Last edited:
How can any reasonably intelligent person support Melbourne's record breaking lockdowns? And are people so blind that they cannot see that the government will be using covid, a disease that will stay for us forever, as a way to blatantly and maliciously control it's citizens?

We wouldn't be in lockdown right now if Scomo got us vaccines sooner. Why is Scotty doing this to us? ;)

There's an understanding of the situation and the lockdowns. It has been explained. All the talk is all about opening up, getting out of lockdowns, never having them again. I would be concerned if this wasn't the case. I'll be concerned when the explanation and reasoning can't be explained.

I don't agree with everything, I think things are stricter than they need to be. Yet I understand that people are morons. Like the anecdote I have in an above post. Lockdowns are in part managing morons. The COVID plan, rightly or wrongly is to vaccinate then live with it. Maybe there could have been a better plan. At this stage a month or so away from things starting to opening up. Just let it run its course. Why throw in the towel at the finish line?

It's also strange reading stuff online about it, where it's completely sensationalised and fictionalised.

It's one thing to protest, it's another to be a violent dickhead. Disrupting people from going about their lives. It's interesting to see some of the Antifa and black block aligned protestor tactics in creating certain optics when protesting. I don't think it is working in their favour. Just feeding a circle jerk of people on their side already.

You trying to set up another long winded reply? 😂

source.gif

Yeah, well you've got to try and explain. I may waft on but it's complex and there are many things to be considered. It ain't as simple as, "lockdowns good / bad."

Lack of nuance, lack of conversation just divides and keeps people angry at each other. Not understanding each other.

It also works to buffer against people framing your position as something that it is not. I've been called a "lookie leftie" and also right-wing on this forum. It's amusing. People seeking explanations, then clearly not reading them makes them look like ignorant fools in fantasy lands yelling at clouds that looked at them funny.

Last edited:
We wouldn't be in lockdown right now if Scomo got us vaccines sooner. Why is Scotty doing this to us? ;)

There's an understanding of the situation and the lockdowns. It has been explained. All the talk is all about opening up, getting out of lockdowns, never having them again. I would be concerned if this wasn't the case. I'll be concerned when the explanation and reasoning can't be explained.

I don't agree with everything, I think things are stricter than they need to be. Yet I understand that people are morons. Like the anecdote I have in an above post. Lockdowns are in part managing morons. The COVID plan, rightly or wrongly is to vaccinate then live with it. Maybe there could have been a better plan. At this stage a month or so away from things starting to opening up. Just let it run its course. Why throw in the towel at the finish line?

It's also strange reading stuff online about it, where it's completely sensationalised and fictionalised.

It's one thing to protest, it's another to be a violent dickhead. Disrupting people from going about their lives. It's interesting to see some of the Antifa and black block aligned protestor tactics in creating certain optics when protesting. I don't think it is working in their favour. Just feeding a circle jerk of people on their side already.
I think the protesters should change tack as they'll never win against the jackboot thuggish cops or dictator dan like this.

I don't think there is a finish line. Or if there is the finish line is the complete obedience of all citizens.

If you google him, he has had his charges dropped. It seems like he was there to ask protesters to respect the shrine and take the protest elsewhere.

Back