Skip to main content

Doctor Who

We’re getting a new doctor in the next year! How are we all feeling?
Regretful - that Jodie wasn't given much of a chance

Concerned - that none of the casting rumours so far resonate with me (apart from Jo Martin)

Optimistic - that a new showrunner can get things back on track

…I was adamently against The Doctor transforming into a woman (which is documented so well on this thread)… the concept of the original grandfatherly figure in William Hartnell eventually transforming into a quite sensuous figure of Jodie was quite ridiculous to me… but… Jodie’s portrayal grew on me… I finally accepted the idea because I eventually realised that they were trying to cater to the modern generation to keep the show relevant and alive…

…what better a way than by turning The Doctor into a female which is now such a modern trend?… I mean they are even talking of making James Bond a female character of all things… so as I say… nothing surprises me now…

…now… so to keep the show alive I’m expecting The Doctor to become either a black nerdy type of man like Richard Ayoadi or perhaps a run of the black ‘Ruth’ Doctor that was explored just recently or even an Asian male or female because Dr Who has become such a big phenomenon in Asia now…

…so now I expect anything to happen no matter how ludicrous it may become… I really would love Dr Who to regain the wonderous ’mystique’ that it had in the Hartnell years personally but I’m now assigned to the fact that it will never be again… anyway… let’s see what happens next eh?… cheers.

…a couple of funny Dalek moments… especially the “I can kill all of the cats for you!” comment lol!… cheers.

…I was adamently against The Doctor transforming into a woman (which is documented so well on this thread)… the concept of the original grandfatherly figure in William Hartnell eventually transforming into a quite sensuous figure of Jodie was quite ridiculous to me… but… Jodie’s portrayal grew on me… I finally accepted the idea because I eventually realised that they were trying to cater to the modern generation to keep the show relevant and alive…

…what better a way than by turning The Doctor into a female which is now such a modern trend?… I mean they are even talking of making James Bond a female character of all things… so as I say… nothing surprises me now…

…now… so to keep the show alive I’m expecting The Doctor to become either a black nerdy type of man like Richard Ayoadi or perhaps a run of the black ‘Ruth’ Doctor that was explored just recently or even an Asian male or female because Dr Who has become such a big phenomenon in Asia now…

…so now I expect anything to happen no matter how ludicrous it may become… I really would love Dr Who to regain the wonderous ’mystique’ that it had in the Hartnell years personally but I’m now assigned to the fact that it will never be again… anyway… let’s see what happens next eh?… cheers.
I actually stopped watching DW when the Dr became a woman and haven't watched it since ... which was many moons ago now. Did she transform back to a male or has it been females ever since...

I sound a bit misogynistic, which I'm not :) .. like you said, some characters I prefer to stay within their gender.. James Bond should be a guy..
To me it would be like making Wonder Woman a bloke next time :oops:

I actually stopped watching DW when the Dr became a woman and haven't watched it since ... which was many moons ago now. Did she transform back to a male or has it been females ever since...

I sound a bit misogynistic, which I'm not :) .. like you said, some characters I prefer to stay within their gender.. James Bond should be a guy..
… The Doctor is still a woman at the moment Thing my friend… I’d like the character to revert back to a man again because back in the 60’s when I was a 10 year old kid because The Doctor was a grandfatherly figure I took him quite seriously because we had great respect for our grandparents… more so than the kids of today… grandfathers were like our heroes… all wise and knowing… that’s why William Hartnell resonated with me and my younger brother so well…

…when Peter Capaldi came onto the scene I thought… “thank god!… we’re getting back to a figure of authority again at last”… I took his character portrayal to heart… it was kind of nostalgic for me at least… when the Matt Smith version came along it was like watching a gangly kid straight out of high school for me… hence why I never took a shine to him at all…

…when they made The Doctor a woman I was horrified… to think that my grandfatherly figure back in the 60’s is now a woman was quite stupid to me… don’t get me wrong… Jodie is a great actress… she plays it quite well… she’s like a whimsical female version of my favourite all time Doctor In David Tennant… (always has been the best)… but… I do realise that with the latest trend of all empowering women being in the forefront at the moment (which is a good thing at last)… but it’s not the same for me… they shouldn’t have made The Doctor a female…

…by the way… a great point about Wonder Woman… so true… I miss the ‘grandfatherly‘ phase of Dr Who but they don’t make the show just for me lol!… so… I’ll just have to put up whatever they dish up I guess… it’s just not the same for me my friend… cheers.

I think it’s worth giving a go. Her second season is definitely better then the first. And the Timeless Child storyline is quite fantastic ALTHOUGH we haven’t seen the full pay off yet. And we better next season before she leaves…
… The Doctor is still a woman at the moment Thing my friend… I’d like the character to revert back to a man again because back in the 60’s when I was a 10 year old kid because The Doctor was a grandfatherly figure I took him quite seriously because we had great respect for our grandparents… more so than the kids of today… grandfathers were like our heroes… all wise and knowing… that’s why William Hartnell resonated with me and my younger brother so well…

…when Peter Capaldi came onto the scene I thought… “thank god!… we’re getting back to a figure of authority again at last”… I took his character portrayal to heart… it was kind of nostalgic for me at least… when the Matt Smith version came along it was like watching a gangly kid straight out of high school for me… hence why I never took a shine to him at all…

…when they made The Doctor a woman I was horrified… to think that my grandfatherly figure back in the 60’s is now a woman was quite stupid to me… don’t get me wrong… Jodie is a great actress… she plays it quite well… she’s like a whimsical female version of my favourite all time Doctor In David Tennant… (always has been the best)… but… I do realise that with the latest trend of all empowering women being in the forefront at the moment (which is a good thing at last)… but it’s not the same for me… they shouldn’t have made The Doctor a female…

…by the way… a great point about Wonder Woman… so true… I miss the ‘grandfatherly‘ phase of Dr Who but they don’t make the show just for me lol!… so… I’ll just have to put up whatever they dish up I guess… it’s just not the same for me my friend… cheers.
What did you think of Ruth Doctor? She was quite authoritative…

I think it’s worth giving a go. Her second season is definitely better then the first. And the Timeless Child storyline is quite fantastic ALTHOUGH we haven’t seen the full pay off yet. And we better next season before she leaves…

Did she come after Jodie? I stopped watching it when Jodie became the Dr and cant recall Ruth...

…as I said in my earler post inumeenu… if the Ruth Doctor takes on the role after Jodie leaves then I’ll have to just accept it as they don’t just make the show to satisfy my needs only… but… I will be giving her a fair go as I eventually did with Jodie… I won’t like it but at least they’re still making the show… it’s better than nothing... I hated it when Dr Who was cancelled all those years so I am grateful that it was renewed… although its not up to my old fashioned tastes I will still watch it… afterall… it’s still Dr Who isn’t it?… lol!… the best show ever!… cheers.

…as I said in my earler post inumeenu… if the Ruth Doctor takes on the role after Jodie leaves then I’ll have to just accept it as they don’t just make the show to satisfy my needs only… but… I will be giving her a fair go as I eventually did with Jodie… I won’t like it but at least they’re still making the show… it’s better than nothing... I hated it when Dr Who was cancelled all those years so I am grateful that it was renewed… although its not up to my old fashioned tastes I will still watch it… afterall… it’s still Dr Who isn’t it?… lol!… the best show ever!… cheers.
I was moreso asking what you thought of that Doctor so far, compared to Jodie.
@Thing - Ruth Doctor is part of a fantastic storyline they’ve introduced. Worth checking out.

I was moreso asking what you thought of that Doctor so far, compared to Jodie.
@Thing - Ruth Doctor is part of a fantastic storyline they’ve introduced. Worth checking out.

…Ruth Doctor seemed like a more ‘no-nonsense-don’t-fuck-with-me’ kind of authoritative type of Doctor to me inumeenu… maybe that’s what the character itself needs in it?… like the grandfatherly William Hartnell being a somewhat gruff and cranky old man he still held that ‘air of authority’ about him if you know what I mean… not like the latest Doctors who seem more like the ’leaders-of-the-gang’ types of Doctors… does that make sense?… lol!… cheers.

…Ruth Doctor seemed like a more ‘no-nonsense-don’t-fuck-with-me’ kind of authoritative type of Doctor to me inumeenu… maybe that’s what the character itself needs in it?… like the grandfatherly William Hartnell being a somewhat gruff and cranky old man he still held that ‘air of authority’ about him if you know what I mean… not like the latest Doctors who seem more like the ’leaders-of-the-gang’ types of Doctors… does that make sense?… lol!… cheers.
Yeah I know what you mean.
Jodie certainly seems like the least authoritative. Matt Smith sometimes seem like a Hartnell type trapped in a young body. He’s my favourite doctor!!
I reckon they could really do something special with Ruth Doctor!!!

Yeah I know what you mean.
Jodie certainly seems like the least authoritative. Matt Smith sometimes seem like a Hartnell type trapped in a young body. He’s my favourite doctor!!
I reckon they could really do something special with Ruth Doctor!!!r
…I agree… the Ruth Doctor has so many paths that she could go down if they choose her as an option… it really depends on what road the Producers have in mind I guess?… I reckon that the next Doctor will be either black or Asian… either male or female… it won’t make any difference to them… whatever they feel is the most relevant trend at the moment to save cancellation of the show again at this time I guess?…

…I think that is one of the reasons that when Moffatt left the show that they came close to cancelling the show… then we went basically a year with no shows whatsoever then came back with less episodes than before and not always in a regular weekly episode as in the old traditional way… I think that they were on the verge of cancelling the show altogether… so now I think that they’re doing whatever it takes to keep the show alive… I’d hate to see the show cancelled yet again so now I am just grateful for whatever I get lol!… cheers.

I think if they went back to a white male Doctor next time people would take it as an admission that changing the formula was a mistake, so that won’t be happening, even it was in the best interests of the show.

Back