Skip to main content

R U OK Support Thread

And yes it also SMELLS revolting. Referring back to above. But it’s just a dog Thing. Bless their little souls and bums.

Reactions: kxk
Our elderly beloved rottie is very ill
Heartbreaking, he has cancer
He had his spleen removed yesterday, home now
In pain, but that is controlled with slow release opioids
He needs more surgery, more growths on his liver etc
Get more test results Tuesday , hoping/praying for good news
But it looks very bad, expensive but we don’t care about that
They gave us the ...put him down option, mostly to let people not feel guilty if they can’t afford
to keep trying....kind vets, as long as he isn’t suffering we will pay anything
We love him so

Our elderly beloved rottie is very ill
Heartbreaking, he has cancer
He had his spleen removed yesterday, home now
In pain, but that is controlled with slow release opioids
He needs more surgery, more growths on his liver etc
Get more test results Tuesday , hoping/praying for good news
But it looks very bad, expensive but we don’t care about that
They gave us the ...put him down option, mostly to let people not feel guilty if they can’t afford
to keep trying....kind vets, as long as he isn’t suffering we will pay anything
We love him so
That's heartbreaking to hear kxk.
My thoughts are with you *hugs*

So tbh I've had a terrible time recently.
  • First, I tore my left rotator cuff, which will take months to heal.
  • Then a beautiful dog from the pagoda Sophea was taken by thieves who steal dogs for the dog meat market. This was a dog I'd helped when she had a terribly infected wound on her neck last year. Such a lovely girl.
  • Around this time, I'd finally sold my shack after four years on the market, but local government stuck their oar in, delaying the process even though the buyer had paid the deposit. 10 days before our settlement date the buyer pulled out. Because neither of us was at fault and I didn't want to be an arsehole I refunded his deposit, and then a few days later the department finally gave us the ok to proceed but it was too late to salvage the deal. FFS.
  • Consequently my plans to move to Siem Reap and live in a house and put in a small above ground pool were out the window (weeks of research and looking at properties online wasted).
  • And then - worst of all by far - my cat Mo, who I'd been taking care of since November, died unexpected after a local vet gave him an injection for fleas. I'd been using the drops for months but inexplicably they weren't working and the fleas had reached critical mass. Poor Mo was beside himself. After the injection the next day he was staggering around like he was drunk, and I could tell he'd suffered neurological damage. Two nights at a different vet and he came home for one night. He was incontinent and very wobbly, and by the next day he was in such a terrible state I had to take him back to be euthanised. I am absolutely devastated. 😭 RIP Mo.
I don't think I've done anything to deserve such a run of disasters; my belief in karma has taken a severe battering. Sorry to overshare.

• Then a beautiful dog from the pagoda Sophea was taken by thieves who steal dogs for the dog meat market. This was a dog I'd helped when she had a terribly infected wound on her neck last year. Such a lovely girl.
  • Around this time, I'd finally sold my shack after four years on the market, but local government stuck their oar in, delaying the process even though the buyer had paid the deposit. 10 days before our settlement date the buyer pulled out. Because neither of us was at fault and I didn't want to be an arsehole I refunded his deposit, and then a few days later the department finally gave us the ok to proceed but it was too late to salvage the deal. FFS.
  • Consequently my plans to move to Siem Reap and live in a house and put in a small above ground pool were out the window (weeks of research and looking at properties online wasted).
  • And then - worst of all by far - my cat Mo, who I'd been taking care of since November, died unexpected after a local vet gave him an injection for fleas. I'd been using the drops for months but inexplicably they weren't working and the fleas had reached critical mass. Poor Mo was beside himself. After the injection the next day he was staggering around like he was drunk, and I could tell he'd suffered neurological damage. Two nights at a different vet and he came home for one night. He was incontinent and very wobbly, and by the next day he was in such a terrible state I had to take him back to be euthanised. I am absolutely devastated. 😭 RIP Mo.
I don't think I've done anything to deserve such a run of disasters; my belief in karma has taken a severe battering. Sorry to overshare.
Sorry you are going through such a tough time. You don't deserve any of it

Oh my @timmy .....how horrendous
And your poor baby..ie puss, feeling similar totally sympathise
Heartbreaking
But our sweetheart, ie doggie, is doing a bit better
Hope and pray he can get through this
He isn’t like a dog, he like Nick’s brother💕

How crap about your house sale

Thinking we have both had the worst fucking July ever
Have always rather disliked June and July, crap weather and crap people I know born
Tv missed all survivor and games, don’t care
Sick tv, sick dog, stuffed arm, July sucked

My plaster comes of next week, yeah
Last month of real winter, yeah
It is warm and gorgeous today

Hope your buyer comes back🙂

@kxk thanks. Yeah after losing Sophea and the shack sale falling through I really thought I'd hit rock bottom. But after Mo died I cried for two days. Haven't done that for many years. Still have that feeling in my chest like if anything else were to upset me it would set me off again.

Glad you're finally getting your cast off, that should help. Hope your doggo is improving. I visited my doggy family at the pagoda and gave them lots of hugs. They're so funny. They adore me and try to follow me out the gate. Very sweet. Thank dog for animals.

Sometimes spending time with the pagoda kittehs and doggos really helps. This is my 'big' doggo family (I also have a 'little' doggo family there):

Top: Mea
Middle: Mea's daughters Rathana and Rathany. Rathana was very ill for a while recently and I didn't think she'd make it, but with the vet's help and some special treats of chicken livers she pulled through.
Front: "Grandma" Katoro my tripod dog (Mea's mum).
Absent: Sophea (Mea's sister, sadly gone).

Untitled-1.jpg

It's amazing how close I have got to these dogs in the past three months. The only one who was really cool with me was Sophea because I'd spent time with her when she had the infection last year. But since Grandma broke her leg, she has begrudgingly become my friend. And I also got her and Mea, Rathana and Rathany spayed. Grandma is still coming around - she's the matriarch and barks at everyone to protect her family. She still barks at me purely by instinct. But she knows I'm her friend.

Bonus pic: Yes that's me with Mea.

Untitled-2.jpg

You and Mia have a similar look actually, both very attractive😀
Seems you are animals best friend in the district, very kind and caring

Do the dogs live there ? Are they “strays”, where do they come from?
Is that pagoda a kind home for strays?
Intriguing

Doggie is doing a lot better, hoping he can get through this, and his tests come back tomorrow better than expected
He has cancer tumours that may need more surgery, will know more Tuesday, fingers crossed he has mild not most evil cancer😪

Plaster off hand Thursday...wow 6 weeks did go rather fast
Hand is improving, but...aching a bit today due to overusing a little
Getting Diesie (dog) in from car, omg, we both fell over, but managed to roll with him on top thankfully, never woke up
He is big, more than 60-70ish kl, not fat, just lovely big bear of a buddy

Thank heavens July has past, cursed month, miserable weather, bad vibes all round

How is your injury? Improving I hope?
Is Survivor good? Too far behind to bother now, but miss it

You and Mia have a similar look actually, both very attractive😀
Seems you are animals best friend in the district, very kind and caring

Do the dogs live there ? Are they “strays”, where do they come from?
Is that pagoda a kind home for strays?
Intriguing

Doggie is doing a lot better, hoping he can get through this, and his tests come back tomorrow better than expected
He has cancer tumours that may need more surgery, will know more Tuesday, fingers crossed he has mild not most evil cancer😪

Plaster off hand Thursday...wow 6 weeks did go rather fast
Hand is improving, but...aching a bit today due to overusing a little
Getting Diesie (dog) in from car, omg, we both fell over, but managed to roll with him on top thankfully, never woke up
He is big, more than 60-70ish kl, not fat, just lovely big bear of a buddy

Thank heavens July has past, cursed month, miserable weather, bad vibes all round

How is your injury? Improving I hope?
Is Survivor good? Too far behind to bother now, but miss it
Jebus, Diesie's a big boy. I thought lugging 19kgs of Mea into a tuk tuk was hard work. Hope he improves to a manageable and pain-free state.

At the pagodas there are always cats and dogs. The monks and students who live there tend to look after the dogs but don't care much for cats. People here don't usually desex their cats and when they inevitably have kittens, a lot of the time they will take the kittens to the nearest pagoda and dump them, usually while they are too young to survive without their mums. They have a mistaken belief that the monks feed them and they'll be safe there. There are a few locals who go to the pagodas and feed the cats fishy rice every day. My effort has been mainly to get the cats desexed. I've done about 80 cats and dogs - I've lost count now. Often the cats just disappear later. I don't know why - and tbh it's better not to think about it. I use an animal charity for free desexing. They also used to provide free vet care for sick/injured animals but they're no longer able to do that. We were very lucky that they did do Grandma's amputation for free, which would have cost about US$400.

I hope your weather and mood improve. Spring's just around the corner for you. My shoulder's slowly getting better, just annoying when trying to sleep.

Survivor's improving, you should give it a look. Last night;s ep was a cracker.

Meanwhile here is a pic of Dana Drainpipe and Khmao (khmao is Khmer for 'black'). I rescued Dana from inside a downpipe next to my building and raised her until she was big enough to spay. And then I kind of dumped her at the pagoda. Well, not quite, I took her upstairs to my monk friend and then took food for them both every day for several months so they would get used to living up there.

Untitled-5.jpg

Last edited:
Correction, our lovely bear dog, is 45-50k
(Guessing before his “dad” came home from work to check on him)
LOL big but not that huge😀

*sending squishy internet hugs* awww man timmy! that's a lot on your plate at once! no wonder you feel overwhelmed!! You are making a big difference in the lives of the kitties & doggies. Sucks so much that other humans are doing the opposite (or they are truely desperate).

Ouchies for your shoulder!! Hope that is on the mend. Also hope you get a silver lining to your shack no-sale.

I'm a believer in karma, but also sometimes freaking shit happens. It can be so hard dealing with lots at once. I hope you can take a breath, focus, relax & then charge on again x

*sending squishy internet hugs* awww man timmy! that's a lot on your plate at once! no wonder you feel overwhelmed!! You are making a big difference in the lives of the kitties & doggies. Sucks so much that other humans are doing the opposite (or they are truely desperate).

Ouchies for your shoulder!! Hope that is on the mend. Also hope you get a silver lining to your shack no-sale.

I'm a believer in karma, but also sometimes freaking shit happens. It can be so hard dealing with lots at once. I hope you can take a breath, focus, relax & then charge on again x
Thank you so much @el'coopo that's very sweet. Just too much happening in such a short time. I was so excited to have finally sold the shack, and had scoped out a bunch of rentals in Siem Reap. I was going to head up and sign a lease ahead of settlement so I could move out/in in one go. Would have had the money to work on some new projects, everything was looking up. And then my agent told me they'd hit a legal snag and they were trying to find a way forward, but it was not to be. And then there was everything else😢

The nearest thing to a silver lining right now is if I was in SR I'd probably be in lockdown, so I at least have avoided that. Miss my little buddy so much though. Just have to take one day at a time. Will make a fancy shack video and make a harder push for a sale, I think.

Best wishes @timmy for your rapid recovery, and for lots of buyers to come knocking

I am at hospital getting hand sorted
Plasters off....freaky saw thing
X-rays done
Verdict next.....
It looks like crap, still swollen, hurts......hope this all normal
Long wait for next bit

Best wishes @timmy for your rapid recovery, and for lots of buyers to come knocking

I am at hospital getting hand sorted
Plasters off....freaky saw thing
X-rays done
Verdict next.....
It looks like crap, still swollen, hurts......hope this all normal
Long wait for next bit
Hope your hand improves. Bit surprised it's still swollen, I hope it's ok.

Back