Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

News was reporting all day ‘Queensland the strong favourite to win 2032 Olympics’

No shit. They’re unopposed.

But congrats to Brisbane.

Or Jakarta. Their President still chucking a tantrum Indonesia wasn’t considered!
I was wondering how this situation came about and found the following. It sounds like a bullshit way to do it:

The 2032 Games will be the first Summer Olympic Games to be awarded under the IOC's new process for selecting the host of its flagship event.

In 2019 it established Future Host Commissions, which identify and recommend venues for the Games and enter into dialogue with prospective countries and cities over staging them.

This has led to the previous approach of pitting competing cities against one another to host the Olympics for a given year, and then announcing the winner seven years in advance, being abandoned.

The new process has resulted in criticism due to a lack of transparency.

I wonder if he would have said it like that if she was male? Or is he just a fuckwit on a power trip who would have said it regardless of gender? I am sure there is a way to make that suggestion without sounding like such a condescending douche.

Definitely on a power trip. Couldn't imagine him speaking to a male Premier like that. Thankfully it hasn't be well received across the board.

Definitely on a power trip. Couldn't imagine him speaking to a male Premier like that. Thankfully it hasn't be well received across the board.

I see my initial reaction is similar to others.

I see my initial reaction is similar to others.
“My comments regarding the Premier and the Opening Ceremony have been completely misinterpreted by people who weren’t in the room,” he said in a statement on Thursday.

“My comments regarding the Premier and the Opening Ceremony have been completely misinterpreted by people who weren’t in the room,” he said in a statement on Thursday.

Errrrrr it was live on TV was it not? Why would you have to be in the room?

What is he trying to do - gaslight an entire audience?

What is he trying to do - gaslight an entire audience?
Well this took a turn. I just watched 9 News and they said that apparently she wanted to attend but was worried about the backlash from the public as she said she wouldn’t attend any events, so Coates pulled that stunt to ‘take the heat off her’. She thanked him, and they had drinks?

If that’s true, then that’s also fucked.

What is wrong with these people!?

Last edited:
The veteran Olympics official, who is also an International Olympic Committee vice-president, contacted the Herald and The Age from Tokyo to clarify his remarks.

He says he had discussed the exchange with Palaszczuk because she was feeling pressure from sections of the media to not attend.

“We walked out of there [the media conference] and she thanked me,” Coates said. “The media in Brisbane have been giving her a hard time, saying she shouldn’t go to the opening ceremony, but she had to go.

“The plan was I was going to fix it. I fixed it. I was taking the heat off her. We all came back and had a drink all night in my room to celebrate. I wasn’t having a go at her at all.

“The Premier and I have a longstanding and very successful relationship and we both know the spirit of my remarks. She has given no indication to me that she was offended in any way.”

When I saw the footage my first reaction was that he was joking. It was something in his delivery that made me think that way.

I’m suddenly less empathetic towards her now.

If it was just a big show put on so that she could attend the Opening Ceremony without looking bad in front of the media, then she’s an idiot. if you want to go, just go.

Coates was inappropriate, but I can’t blame him for defending himself.

I’m suddenly less empathetic towards her now.

If it was just a big show put on so that she could attend the Opening Ceremony without looking bad in front of the media, then she’s an idiot. if you want to go, just go.

Coates was inappropriate, but I can’t blame him for defending himself.
I would have assumed before all this went down that she was going to attend things like the opening. it makes sense, if she has goes there to represent that she attends that sort of thing. But if she didn't feel comfortable when she got there due to rising numbers of covid cases and feeling unsafe I would have understood that too. Either way I actually don't think a big deal needed to be made, cos I don't think anyone reeally cared that much until all this made it a bigger deal than it ever needed to be.

I would have assumed before all this went down that she was going to attend things like the opening. it makes sense, if she has goes there to represent that she attends that sort of thing. But if she didn't feel comfortable when she got there due to rising numbers of covid cases and feeling unsafe I would have understood that too. Either way I actually don't think a big deal needed to be made, cos I don't think anyone reeally cared that much until all this made it a bigger deal than it ever needed to be.
I think the issue was the way he spoke to her. But now we know it’s staged, everyone has gone back to not giving a fuck haha.

Back