Skip to main content

Does BBAU have a problem with POC?

Eh people are inherently tribal, the inverse would happen if a handful of white contestants were put in a house of mostly Asian housemates. It is what it is
Agreed.

Whilst I don't mind racial diversity, I would still find myself closer and comfortable with people of my own race and ethnicity. Romantically, I even prefer guys of my own race and would look similar to me (Mediterranean in appearance).

I am lost and see three guys. One is Irish, one Lebanese, and the other Nigerian (and I know they all speak English). I'd still go up to the Lebanese looking one and ask for directions because he looks like me. It's just a natural instinct to me. O_O🤫

So it is what it is, indeed.

That all said, I find Asians to be the friendliest. I easily become friends with Asian folks. Even more so than those of my ethnic group. 😌

Allan looked more the standard gamebot type who brags about how clever he is in the DR. Maybe Kieran's gameplay had just put the HMs more on alert. I know it was the older guy who seemed to first bring up Allan's name first, Allan had questioned him over how good he would be in challenges.

Soobong seemed to openly brag about how strong he was, he's the easiest eviction to understand if anything. They all see how much power the winner of the challenges has. He said that his strength would get people to allly with him, but we didn't really see him doing much to get allies. I actually thought new HMs would get their first eviction night off as you sometimes see on shows.

Of course it's a competition with eliminations so people will gravitate, as said here, to those who they feel comfortable with. Often that's portrayed as 'cool kids' v oddballs, but it could be older/younger, or by location, or by a particular culture they are normally around. You see this in the US version as well.

Allan looked more the standard gamebot type who brags about how clever he is in the DR. Maybe Kieran's gameplay had just put the HMs more on alert. I know it was the older guy who seemed to first bring up Allan's name first, Allan had questioned him over how good he would be in challenges.

Soobong seemed to openly brag about how strong he was, he's the easiest eviction to understand if anything. They all see how much power the winner of the challenges has. He said that his strength would get people to allly with him, but we didn't really see him doing much to get allies. I actually thought new HMs would get their first eviction night off as you sometimes see on shows.

Of course it's a competition with eliminations so people will gravitate, as said here, to those who they feel comfortable with. Often that's portrayed as 'cool kids' v oddballs, but it could be older/younger, or by location, or by a particular culture they are normally around. You see this in the US version as well.

I find the fact that you’ve elevated the person in your AV (a white woman) to martyr status but you’re making excuses for racial bias a bit hypocritical.

I'm most of the "ïst's" most of the time - I openly admit to being racist, sexist, misogynist, ageist etc etc at various levels almost always...

The area I live in is mainly white ozzies because I chose to live in this area as I don't want to live next to Sudanese, Abo's, Asians, drug dealers, people with neck tattoos, ferals and the list goes on. I just want to live next door to Bob & Mary Smith or Jones... & when I walk down the street I just want to see people like me - white Aussies...

Like Tim said, Were hardwired to some extent. I'm more than others probably - I'm comfortable & happy living my life next to people just like me - because I am - I don't want to try to get to know other races or cultures or help criminals reassimilate into society - I just want to live a happy stress-free worry-free lifestyle --- and how I find that existence is surrounding myself with Bob & Mary Smiths...

My signature comment below sort of explains it all - its been the same since I joined here some 15 odd years ago :cool:

Oh & I've been reported on other forums for PC because of the word ABO, to me its simply an abbreviation of Aborigine, same as Aussie is short for Australian - its not intended to be offensive and it annoys me that I have to state this ---society today has gone a little PC OTT...

Allan was annoying and pathetic, Laura seemed arrogant and passive aggressive, and Soobong was a showoff and a huge threat.

This is a great example of the "mental easy road" I was talking about earlier.

And Laura was a bit of a racist herself.

This is a common defence mechanism for people who are defensive about their white-ness. They see any discussion about race and cultural difference as an attack on white people.

The future of cultural acceptance is about acknowledging people do have differences and embracing those differences. It is not about saying "I don't see colour" because that's bullshit and sweeping everything under the rug again.

The most extreme form of this is when people try to turn the argument around and say that the people discussing cultural differences are the real racists, because they're simply talking about race. That's some warped bullshit logic again.

And if Australia is so racist, then Layla would not have come second in BB12, Priya 2014 wouldn't come 4th and have a mass following, and Trevor wouldn't have won in 2004. Come now.

Another classic excuse: cherry picking. Have a look at the statistics posted earlier in this thread to see why cherry picking these facts doesn't add up.

Also, things that happened in the past don't change the fact that three POC were evicted in succession right here in 2020. There's no connection.

Edit: Also, Layla is white.

Whilst I don't mind racial diversity, I would still find myself closer and comfortable with people of my own race and ethnicity. Romantically, I even prefer guys of my own race and would look similar to me (Mediterranean in appearance).

This is the definition of racial bias. It's not a personal attack, because people's biases are baked in over the course of decades. At least you're acknowledging you have them... kind of. You should work on educating yourself and spending more time outside your comfort zone.

Like @Tim said, Were hardwired to some extent. I'm more than others probably - I'm comfortable & happy living my life next to people just like me - because I am - I don't want to try to get to know other races or cultures or help criminals reassimilate into society - I just want to live a happy stress-free worry-free lifestyle --- and how I find that existence is surrounding myself with Bob & Mary Smiths...

My point is it's hardwire to an extent but it's not a solid fixed thing that gives you an excuse to be racist. As I said to Shackles, you should try living outside your comfort zone for even a little bit. It will help you become a better human.

Oh & I've been reported on other forums for PC because of the word ABO

If you post that word here again I will permanently ban you.

I'm most of the "ïst's" most of the time - I openly admit to being racist, sexist, misogynist, ageist etc etc at various levels almost always...

The area I live in is mainly white ozzies because I chose to live in this area as I don't want to live next to Sudanese, Abo's, Asians, drug dealers, people with neck tattoos, ferals and the list goes on. I just want to live next door to Bob & Mary Smith or Jones... & when I walk down the street I just want to see people like me - white Aussies...

Like Tim said, Were hardwired to some extent. I'm more than others probably - I'm comfortable & happy living my life next to people just like me - because I am - I don't want to try to get to know other races or cultures or help criminals reassimilate into society - I just want to live a happy stress-free worry-free lifestyle --- and how I find that existence is surrounding myself with Bob & Mary Smiths...

My signature comment below sort of explains it all - its been the same since I joined here some 15 odd years ago :cool:

Oh & I've been reported on other forums for PC because of the word ABO, to me its simply an abbreviation of Aborigine, same as Aussie is short for Australian - its not intended to be offensive and it annoys me that I have to state this ---society today has gone a little PC OTT...

You, sir, are what is wrong with Australia, you derelict. GFY. (Am I using the Aussie slang correctly?)

And Laura was a bit of a racist herself. If a pro white person is racist, then a "pro black feminist" will be a racist and a misandrist as well. So good riddance.

Feminism is not about disliking men. It was about getting us lowly creatures the right to vote. It was about getting us refuges to escape violent husbands. It was about forming rape crisis centres where women and young girls could go for comfort and support. It was about women receiving a single mother's pension, allowing them to leave awful situations. Women being allowed to have a bank account in their own name. Basic human rights, long denied to women as a group.

Feminism now is about protecting young girls from being sold off to old men for marriage. About protecting young girls from female genital mutilation. It's still about providing counselling, resources, refuges, and rape crisis centres. About supplying women and girls in poverty with sanitation products. This is just the tip of the iceberg. Protecting girls and women, seeking to enhance their safety and health, empowering groups of women in developing countries to start businesses that then support their families, and villages...

Having not had to fight for basic consideration, as a man, and being grumpy about your extended centuries of privilege being somewhat lessened as a result of feminisms' many decades of working for societal reform, it is in my view uninformed and petty to use a word such as misandrist -- equating feminism, with its will to help women and girls improve their life situation in whatever way, with man-hating.

The problem is with this format you can do all the diverse casting you want but if you have one racist winning a bunch of challenges suddenly your season goes tits up. And if you told me to look at the cast bios and take three guesses at who the most racist is, I wouldn't need all of them to pick Talia, who couldn't have given off more "spoiled private school girl with super-rich Daddy" vibes if she tried.

The problem is with this format you can do all the diverse casting you want but if you have one racist winning a bunch of challenges suddenly your season goes tits up. And if you told me to look at the cast bios and take three guesses at who the most racist is, I wouldn't need all of them to pick Talia, who couldn't have given off more "spoiled private school girl with super-rich Daddy" vibes if she tried.

Agreed. I also get a mix of racist/douche chill/snake vibes from David Daniel. He seems to have a fragile masculinity thing going on. So many failed AFL attempts then sees Soobong who was strong and self aware and he freeeeeaks out.

Daniel sksksksksksk 🐍

Last edited:
So do we think that the misgivings the producers reportedly had with the cast were related to the first three eviction results, and how that had affected the cast's diversity (and for that matter how that would "look")?

So do we think that the misgivings the producers reportedly had with the cast were related to the first three eviction results, and how that had affected the cast's diversity (and for that matter how that would "look")?

I think we should stop giving that rumour and it’s source credit...

Agreed. I also get a mix of racist/douche chill/snake vibes from David. He seems to have a fragile masculinity thing going on. So many failed AFL attempts then sees Soobong who was strong and self aware and he freeeeeaks out.

David sksksksksksk 🐍

Yeah Talia and Daniel are definitely the top two, and then mayyyyybe Garth ("old fat white gay" is one of those archetypes that skews towards "why do I have to bother being PC?") or Sarah ("grew up below poverty line, joined army" combines two things that cause concern) as the third.

I honestly think this wasn't so much a race of diversity issue. They probably weren't even thinking about it (which is part of the overall problem).

But I do think that all of the people who were cast to be loud, interesting or antagonists (whether they're BIPOC or not) will be evicted in quick succession leaving the finalists a very bland mix of the same old BB housemates who just sunbathe. That's probably why they're worried.

Without weighing into this too much, I do want to drop some figures...

Looking at the historical context of POC in Big Brother Australia, I don't want to list names (this information is readily available online if you search for it) but out of approximately 222 HMs between seasons 1-12, I counted only 9% of total contestants were POC.

Of those HMs, 45% never made it past the second eviction. Only about five of them made it to halfway, the status of one is currently unknown, and three made it to finale week.

That is all.

And one of them won.....Trevor😀

I think part of the issue is for so long, the diversity aspect of casting was basically "one Italian or Greek, one Other Mediterranean, and up to two Miscellaneous (at least one of these castings being an intruder to counter diversity criticisms), then a bunch of whites". And even then those people rarely lasted long.

Like season one is basically Johnnie (Italian) and Anita (Israeli/intruder), then Andy (Brazilian) and Lisa (Papua New Guinean). Season four is Aphrodite (Greek) and Igor (Macedonian), then Trevor (Fijian) and Monica (unspecified Latina/intruder). Season six is Perry (Greek/intruder) and Dino (Croatian), then Elise (Chinese) and Michael (Filipino), with a bonus Max (Italian) right at the end.

That structure is really hard not to notice once you notice it.

I still don’t get people maintaining that there is no race relation to the evictions?! Australia is a racist country. White people like the ones in the house have a strong history of racism in this country in general. But just look at stats. The amount of white people in the house vs coloured.

I think we have to be careful in conflating numbers and remembering proportionate choices. I think they tried to be inclusive. Go further and they would be accused of tokenism.
High wire straddling.

Back