Skip to main content

Does BBAU have a problem with POC?

Allen and Sbong seemed to draw alot of attention to themselves (at least from what we have been shown) whereas someone like Xavier has not. People in minorities have to work harder than those in the general majority? Plus they stand out more by default. Kieren also drew negative attention pls as given the initial task. He did get nominated though. I think its a really tricky question as to whether it was racism or not. I think there is automatically an under the radar effect in the first few weeks. And Allen, Sbong did not go under the radar quite deliberately. It was part of their game play. And it didnt pay off. It almost got Kieren evicted too.

I don't think there's been racism, but I guess if Angela is the next one to go, then we'll really know

Worth remembering the question is not about whether it's racist, it's whether it's a consequence of racial bias - and that is arguably the bigger problem in society as a whole right now and harder to eradicate. I think if this series was being considered in isolation maybe it could be passed off as a coincidence, but the fact it's happened on so many reality shows around the world, and is now acknowledged as a problem on air on shows like Survivor, it is just not a great reflection on society.

In the case of this series though the problem is we don't really know why people were voted off and editors were so pre-occupied with convincing us Keiran was going to be voted off in the first two episodes it actually adds to the theory that HMs chose to save the white housemate despite having good reasons to evict him.

Oh & I've been reported on other forums for PC because of the word ABO, to me its simply an abbreviation of Aborigine, same as Aussie is short for Australian - its not intended to be offensive and it annoys me that I have to state this ---society today has gone a little PC OTT...
I’m assuming you aren’t Aboriginal and if you aren’t, you don’t get to decide what’s offensive and what isn’t?? Honestly this world.

The thing. With troll in his description.. lol. Please tell all and sundry. lol
Its not even a thing anymore to promote yourself as such.
What a fail.

Laura admittedly did not campaign

that probably did not help her. Despite/whatever her ideology.

but that was more personality than race

I find the fact that you’ve elevated the person in your AV (a white woman) to martyr status but you’re making excuses for racial bias a bit hypocritical.

Just noticed that two people actually liked this comment. Wow. I don't tend to reply to inflammatory posts as it just seems a waste of time but maybe some demand you have to.

First, I didn't support Estelle because she was white.

Second, I didn't support her because of some martyr status you're implying.

I supported her because she was a character I found interesting, the storyline as it developed was her against most of the house, and I didn't find some of these other people likeable, but they were 'white' too. Estelle also got along with Ava who wasn't white.

I don't have to judge people on whether they are likeable or dislikeable based on skin colour (unlike some people, and there's no doubt it works both ways, not just with white people). I can separate behaviour from external appearance. And I also have reason to do this from personal experience, which you know nothing about anyway.

I've actually seen excuses made for bad behaviour from some HMs who aren't 'white' in the past, not just excuses for white ones.

When there are obvious racial insult remarks made such as on the US season recently, that oversteps the mark and that's obvious. But you often do see divisions and black people normally group together on US shows too, it's hardly one-sided. We know nothing about racial remarks on this Australian season as far as I know.

I think there's definitely a racism problem, but also a sexism problem. Traditionally (and especially because of the lack of POC thanks to BB casting), assertive women are judged harshly for their behaviour and are among the first to go, where as the young, physically fit "alpha" males (usually not actually true alphas) can do no wrong. In shows like Survivor the challenges are set in such a way to value male strength in the pre-merge phase, so a lot of the women are picked off. In BB, I think a lot of the HMs judge assertive females to be anti-social, where the same qualities are seen as an asset in the men (and the same is true of society in general). But sadly, most of the guys don't even need to assert themselves, just being male is enough, and so they sit back and slide under the radar to victory. Not very compelling TV.

I think Angela herself raised the sexism issue in the house when she was trying to get the girls to get Chad out, pointing out that so often in these shows the boys vote out the girls and the girls vote out the girls as well.

Back