Skip to main content

Masterchef 2019

At least Tessa didn't win.
Larissa deserved it in the end.
Simon did well but they were determined to keep him down. since when are "beautiful" dishes then only given 7/10's?

I wonder too if Tessa's scores were lowered to accommodate the extra 5 minutes they (Shannon) gave her to fix her beef. It would have been a scandal if she were allowed to win on that.

I think the franchise is salvageable in 2020, frankly George and Gary and Matt had outstayed their welcome with me a few years ago. I hope the powers that be reinvigorate the format and pick new judges who aren't as prone to favourtism towards certain contestants.

Tbh I’m really devastated the judges are leaving. Despite concerns and accusations regarding favouritism and rigging, you can’t watch a show for 11 seasons and not get somewhat attached to them. Masterchef won’t be the same next year, and the fact that it’s already decreased over 40% in ratings since 2015 makes me think this show may continue to sink deeper and deeper and that it now entering the end of its life cycle, just as TEN’s other shows did such as Biggest Loser and Big Brother. All in all I’m really hopping Tessa wins tonight despite the dislike towards her on this forum. In my opinion she is the best cook of this years group and has performed consistently throughout.

I've watched it from the start too but am not at all attached to Gary or George. Matt, I'm a little bit fond of, he is the kindest of the three. But together they are just a smugness overload.

Tessa was arrogant tonight, which was consistent with everything else we've seen from her. Her mother was pretty much the same, it's obvious where the extreme confidence comes from..

I fell asleep half way through the finale last night, but thankfully was recording it, so managed to go back to see who won.
Will re-watch the bits I missed today.

On Sunrise they announced the new judges as :
Maggie Beer
Curtis Stone
Poh

If that is true it's a pretty good lineup, though it's a shame Matt Sinclair missed out.

I fell asleep half way through the finale last night, but thankfully was recording it, so managed to go back to see who won.
Will re-watch the bits I missed today.

Don't miss the bit where someone has a bloody chunk of meat, so they give her extra time to finish it.

Maggie Beer
Curtis Stone
Poh

If that is true it's a pretty good lineup, though it's a shame Matt Sinclair missed out.

No Matt thanks.

I think they should try to poach Liz Egan or Karen Martini.

And what a lot of crap from the old judges about a timing thing
If the new judges can fit it in, they have high profiles with difficult schedules I would assume
Curtis is not even based here

Great choices I believe
Curtis is a master at hosting, and has the international connections they need to keep star chefs on boar, plus a new American angle won't hurt
Maggie is a NATIONAL TREASURE, and will watch again just for her
Po, I love Po, she should have won, she is now very well trained for TV, and she is such an artist

I haven't watched MC in years, I find the 2 short fat guys unbearable. love Matt though

I would guess Matt Preston will be back in some way eventually

Article about the departing judges future......Matt needs to cut loose
MasterChef trio plot their ‘risky’ new move after exiting show, with millions of dollars on the line
George Calombaris, Gary Mehigan and Matt Preston aren’t wasting any time, forming their own venture and pitching for a big new chapter.

George Calombaris, Gary Mehigan and Matt Preston won’t waste any time exploring their next small screen endeavours together.

A day after abruptly exiting reality television juggernaut MasterChef Australia, the three are preparing to develop new concepts under the banner of their own production company GGM, which they will pitch to streaming service giants Netflix and Amazon.
But the damage done to Calombaris’ brand, which has hurt his two MasterChef co-stars, could dwindle their appeal here, and the celebrity chef scenes in the United States and Britain are very congested.
On top of that, streaming service cooking shows have had mixed fortunes, and one media expert believes a reality competition format won’t work.
But before then, the trio must contend with the likelihood of losing some serious money.
LUCRATIVE DEALS AT RISK
Since MasterChef exploded onto Australian screens in 2009 to mammoth ratings, chefs Calombaris and Mehigan, along with writer and food critic Preston, have become some of the biggest TV stars around.
Media analyst Steve Allen said the three had successfully spun that notoriety into millions of dollars in earnings. That’s now at risk.
2aa403f9e47d01175ff84daf78881afd

Gary Mehigan, George Calombaris and Matt Preston have made a fortune on the back of MasterChef.Source:Supplied
“Each one of them have used MasterChef to get all kinds of lucrative deals — product sponsorships, TV commercials, appearances, food brands, kitchen appliances and tourism endorsements,” Mr Allen, boss of Fusion Strategy, said.

FROM OUR PARTNERS
offnet-icon.svg

Must-see new two-part crime investigation exposing the double life of corrupt ‘Lawyer X’. Watch on Sky News
“Those kind of clients rely on those three being on screens several nights a week for months and months on end.
“Those streaming services they’re rumoured to be targeting are popular, but they don’t offer that kind of ongoing, long-running and saturation visibility.”
Without a multi-night platform like MasterChef, Mr Allen said Calombaris, Mehigan and Preston could “find themselves being worth not quite as much to advertisers”.
“If they think they can get these kinds of deals without MasterChef, they’re completely wrong.”
DIMINISHING PUBLIC APPEAL
Whether the “three musketeers” can continue to appeal to viewers, even those in Australia who’ve come to know their faces over the past 10 years, is unclear.
Last night’s MasterChef finale attracted its lowest-ever audience of just 831,000 viewers — despite news of the shock exits of Calombaris, Mehigan and Preston breaking mere hours before.
RELATED: Curtis Stone, Maggie Beer and Poh Ling Yeow among stars named as favourites to replace MasterChef judges
1267ca79393c61f8aab899caf99d4e1c

Last night’s MasterChef finale was a ratings disappointment. Picture: SuppliedSource:Channel 10
Mr Allen believes Calombaris faces an impossible challenge to rehabilitate his toxic public profile in the wake of the Fair Work investigation into his $7.8 million underpayment of 500 staff.
“George hasn’t handled his issues very well at all,” he said. “I think it’s crazy.”
Outside of MasterChef, Mehigan has a fairly underwhelming presence elsewhere and no longer runs a restaurant.
Preston is the “most likely to get other offers”, Mr Allen said, but the three seem determined to continue working together.
17c1b7608c711b02fd631cfa5dc1cfa6

Mehigan (far right) said in a statement he, Calombaris and Preston would continue working together.Source:Supplied
In a statement last night, Mehigan said working with his long-time co-stars had been “a blessing and something I cherish”.
“Working together will continue to be the most important thing for us … the three musketeers.”
Advertising executive Dee Madigan said the stink surrounding Calombaris was a liability for anyone associated with him.
The fact Preston publicly backed him also made him problematic for a while at least, the Campaign Edge boss said.
NEW SHOW ‘A BIG GAMBLE’
Calombaris, Mehigan and Preston are determined to continue working together and will develop new TV concepts under their own production company.
The Daily Telegraph reports the trio will pursue a “multimillion-dollar” deal with a major streaming service.
RELATED: James Weir recaps the Michelin-starred crap sandwich being force fed to MasterChef’s George, Matt and Gary
e8ad29fbbf04a6829ba2588559925ec5

Mehigan, Calombaris and Preston have formed their own production company.Source:Channel 10
Netflix has previously indicated an interest in Australian-made content, and pressure is mounting on other foreign players to support the local industry.
Mr Allen said a cooking show could be a safe investment, given its low cost to produce and the fact that “food can go anywhere in the world”.
“What I think is the big unknown is these three being the stars of such a show,” Mr Allen said.
“There are a number of very well-established celebrity chefs who front a number of shows all over the world, especially in the US and UK.
“Can these guys compete with them? We’ll see.”
e3f626d3e9ba31d01d43d1da54ccc35f

Calombaris has mishandled his massive staff underpayment drama. Picture: Nicole ClearySource:News Corp Australia
What kind of food format might work on Netflix or Amazon was also “a big gamble”, he said.
The visually stunning and high-end Chef’s Table series has performed well for Netflix, as has the comedic Nailed It about people unsuccessfully replicating recipes.
And famed British chef Gordon Ramsay’s shot an instructional series for Amazon.
But what idea would Calombaris, Mehigan and Preston pitch? Mr Allen is doubtful a competition-style reality series would work.
“It’ll be a tricky thing to get it right for these three,” he said. “It’s a hell of a gamble they’re taking.”

Maggie Beer
Curtis Stone
Poh

Curtis Stone yes, but for me neither of the other two. 👎

Maggie Beer
Curtis Stone
Poh

This line up might make me watch again for first time in forever.

Back