Skip to main content

Do we have a politics thread to discuss things political?

Can't wait for Donald Trump to get his deserved nobel peace prize after this historic moment. Unlike Barack Obama who got his nobel just for not being George W Bush.

b52bd466-9373-4632-bcc9-618455120992.jpg

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-12/trump-kim-summit-kicks-off-in-singapore,-live/9858998

ALL THE INFO ABOUT THE SUMMIT.

I was wrong....just checked and Peter is following in his brother's footsteps, and has been a foreign correspondent also.

He should have gone for a different network and moved away from Karl crap
Hasn’t he been doing that for years? I thought he was a foreign correspondent when I was last watching the Today Show. Which is four years ago now.... Gah! Goodness Me! Four years...

The point is with Karl is that he is a victim of a modern phenomena.
"Entertainment News".
You have to be all things to all people.
For the younger female demographic he wants to come across as sexy and desirable.
For the older female demographic he wants to be cheeky and charming but comfortably familiar.
For the younger male demographic he wants to come across as metrosexual, witty but still down to earth and "one of the boys"
For the older male demographic he wants to be a creditable serious journalist with a world weary sarcasm.
Nobody can be all things to all people.
Its not directly Karl's fault. These ideals are foisted upon him by the network.
The whole "breakfast news variety" shows on television are abhorrent to me.
You simply cannot all sit around joking and jesting and ribbing each other laughing heartily at 7.29. 33 am then at 7.30am switch tone dramatically and announce "10 people were killed by a terrorist attack in the London underground"
Its jarring. Its not right. Its not in human nature to just switch emotions 180 degrees in a matter of seconds.
Its why news and variety television does not and cannot ever work except in the minds of ratings hungry TV execs.
Yet they exist.And they rate. Because people have become conditioned to them. Because the attention spans of people have been dramatically shortened. Because we dont want gloom and doom without some reward. Its too hard to stomach.
Of course News isnt always bad. Good news is reported too. But the point is the timing of it all.
A conventional News program is carefully structured to allow this. Obviously with the exception of some breaking news which has to be reported immediately.
Its a sad indictment that we mask basically a variety show with news snippets to allow some to feel satiated that they are keeping up with world events or news in general. As long as we get the payload of another jokey segment or some banter amongst the hosts to give us a chuckle over our morning coffee. Or the chance to win money. This astounds and disgusts me.
So. I dont blame Karl or Koch or their ilk. I blame the deliberate dumbing down by the networks and I blame us as a society blithely accepting it and fostering it. Cos its easier to look the other way when something disturbs us. Or if we are forced to witness it, we want a reward for doing so.
I hate the concept of "News Entertainment" or "Breakfast news" with a passion.
If you dont wanna watch or see or read about certain things-dont.
But dont pretend to be abreast of current affairs by these sickly saccharine offerings.
And shame on the networks for allowing people to think they can.

Good post @Fuzz.....the entire concept is stupid

ABC is rather good for am news and current affairs, and ABC 24 I love, and SBS but they mainly do foreign languages in the am.....because I can't help it I have a news addiction

I never go near the dreadful crap on 7,9,10.......I really don't get why they must act like morons in the morning

...I rarely ever come into this thread but I have done today and I do have to say Fuzz that that post above is a cracker!... I agree that yes Karl Stiffynodick and Kloshie could be victims of the networks 'dumbing them down' to suit that morning dross but nobody forced them into it... so to me... they are their own victims because of them seeing 'easy money' all of those years ago when they first started...

...but in all of these years down the track neither of them have ever thought "I might give this lucrative contract away and will stop accepting shitloads of money so as to gain some integrity back by pursuing something else that I used to do"... Karl used to be a Journo... Kloshie used to be a Finance guy... those gigs were obviously too hard for them to continue with... hence moving over to the morning shows and easy money...

...those shows have only festered away at their overindulgent egos for so many years... they both believe that they are some sort of TV God or something similar... they stopped being the 'new cute nice guys' (if ever that was a possibility lol!) on the block after about the first year and then started their slow everlasting spiral downwards from there onwards and never stopped... they are both disgusting individuals to me and need to be replaced as soon as possible... all my views about Stiffynodick are quite well documented on the 'Dear Channel 9' thread and I rarely even talk about Kloshie but couldn't resist this opportunity... seriously... both men are total egotestical pigs... what anyone sees in them leaves me scratching my head... whether they are the way that they are because of the Networks or not I still hold them totally responsible for their behaviours... the Networks only sowed the seed... Stiffynodick and Kloshie grew into what they are today... they should booth go as soon as possible as far as I'm concerned anyway Fuzz my friend... lol!... cheers.

Trying to find an hilarious clip the ABC Mornings featured......their witty stab at all the dumb commercial stations PAYING their audience
IE they made up GOLDIE, a big gold coin throwing coins, and they all have a fight throwing coins, and finally bombard the BIG COIN and tell him to piss off.
It may have been on a comedy show, I will hunt it down, it is a great joke

...I rarely ever come into this thread but I have done today and I do have to say Fuzz that that post above is a cracker!... I agree that yes Karl Stiffynodick and Kloshie could be victims of the networks 'dumbing them down' to suit that morning dross but nobody forced them into it... so to me... they are their own victims because of them seeing 'easy money' all of those years ago when they first started...

...but in all of these years down the track neither of them have ever thought "I might give this lucrative contract away and will stop accepting shitloads of money so as to gain some integrity back by pursuing something else that I used to do"... Karl used to be a Journo... Kloshie used to be a Finance guy... those gigs were obviously too hard for them to continue with... hence moving over to the morning shows and easy money...

...those shows have only festered away at their overindulgent egos for so many years... they both believe that they are some sort of TV God or something similar... they stopped being the 'new cute nice guys' (if ever that was a possibility lol!) on the block after about the first year and then started their slow everlasting spiral downwards from there onwards and never stopped... they are both disgusting individuals to me and need to be replaced as soon as possible... all my views about Stiffynodick are quite well documented on the 'Dear Channel 9' thread and I rarely even talk about Kloshie but couldn't resist this opportunity... seriously... both men are total egotestical pigs... what anyone sees in them leaves me scratching my head... whether they are the way that they are because of the Networks or not I still hold them totally responsible for their behaviours... the Networks only sowed the seed... Stiffynodick and Kloshie grew into what they are today... they should booth go as soon as possible as far as I'm concerned anyway Fuzz my friend... lol!... cheers.
You are quite correct of course. As individuals, and worse so, because they are supposedly creditable professionals in their fields they should know and do better. But, they are simply egotistical pawns. Im not excusing them. They accepted the gigs knowing what they are for the money. But in a larger sense, I do blame the networks for creating such a disgusting mechanism for them to profit by.

Karl Stefanovic and Kochie are unbearable.
Larry Emdur probably also has to "dumb down" for his morning show, but I find him far more personable and without the smug pomposity of the other two.

Larry Emdur probably also has to "dumb down" for his morning show, but I find him far more personable and without the smug pomposity of the other two.
Only in this country can have a veteran game show host have more credibility than an accredited journalist and a financial expert.:p

Like Lisa did. I think 10 could have been her saving grace from the little I've seen.

Back