Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2016) - Episode 7 Discussion

They build the challenges in advance, so of course they can decide
what challenges to use, based on team dynamics.
The blue tribe's girls + 2 weaker guys, were obviously not going to be able to
match the physical ability of sam, rohan, lee, on the other teams.
From what I've seen of Survivor US where they have to build and test these massive challenges, it isn't realistic to think they could change them overnight. Maybe they do but I haven't seen it. There are tons of behind the scenes videos where they show the parts of challenges being built and then tested. This is the reason there are lots of puzzles, it evens out the advantage the strongest team might have over the others.

I don't know why they would care about one tribe over another at this point anyway? It's really early days. They film the show first and then edit the story. I see no reason why they would care about any contestant this early in the game.

If they did, I could see them caring more about protecting characters that they think Australians will like? There are so many people left, this is close to the number that survivor US starts with, and the first few weeks it doesn't really matter who goes home.

Last edited:
Probably because they actually featured her for the first time all series. I'm sure it was the first time I'd heard her speak and a shame she was ultimately sacrificed due to a lame twist.

Much better episode tonight - enjoyed both the challenges. A real shame though they are merging into two tribes already - it would be fine to do now if they hadn't done the swap already, but it has just made a questionable twist even more questionable. Would have been better really if they'd just sent the four who swapped last week to Aganoa and then merged the two other tribes.

I get the feeling though they are just throwing too much at this too soon and treating it like Survivor 33 rather than Australian Survivor 3. Yes, the US version has an audience in Australia which is obviously a key part of the audience for the local version, but many are new to it as well - or haven't really watched a season for a decade. I really think they could have held back on the twists and just had faith in the core format - really do think having the Immunity Idols straight off the bat is an unnecessary complication Would have been better to introduce them once the tribes split into 2 tribes.
No US season has had this many twists. There certainly has never been a non elimination tribal. And never a move four people but no one goes home twist.
I'm trying to think of a season that had the most twists in it... Maybe Blood v water which had a person voted out before they even started, plus exile island, plus tribe swaps?
Agreed about the immunity idol too.
On top of that there are all these tied votes that don't make sense but add to the confusion, at least to me!

Well done Nick!

Really sick of what is an anti-Nick edit with the parade of confessionals we get. Apparently he doesn't play an 'honest game' and others do, apparently he doesn't have a good social game and apparently Brooke doesn't like how his face looks (I really dislike her). Survivor is a game, if you are at the bottom you have to scramble. He helped the tribe, and he made good arguments at tribal.

The REAL story I believe, which was not shown in the edit and not even recognised by the presenter/host at tribal (even though it was staring him in the face), was that it's a tribe largely made up of women. That's the real reason I believe Nick was on the outside compared to Tegan.

The whole medical episode part I always ignore and do other stuff while it's on, like when that happened in that annoying US Survivor episode recently where it was all about looking at people's health problems and nothing else. While obviously I hope everyone is fine on the show I don't watch it for medical drama (which is normally just hyped up anyway). People exiting the show based on health issues tends to result in a rather boring end to an episode too.

Last edited:
Craig showed some serious stamina in the challenge. I might almost have been convinced he was a macho gun if he hadn't let it all drop to squeal "OH STOP IT JONATHAN!" :D

I thought his showing off using one hand looked rather stupid. He might not realise too that showing that strength also makes him a target when he loses immunity.

Okay, so my theory is: if Nick doesn't go again tonight, he probably lives right to the end, despite being the "one that everyone wants out" the whole way. Hence the amount of air time he gets.

I don't think he's getting the edit to say he gets to the end at all, glad he kept in for one more episode at least as he's one of the few who plays the game.

Conner on the other hand is getting a 'golden boy' edit that suggests he does go far in his boring 'journey to manhood' as it was described.

It's like they are trying to aim this at the Big Brother audience and make out that 'gameplay' is a dirty word.

For real? We see things differently. Nick in my view is getting a marvellous Survivor edit. It's an underdog triumphing edit. It's part of Survivor to... SURVIVE! And he's surviving the distrust and dislike of his orginial team and now the bulk of his new team - making it to the tribe swap.

He's also an interesting and lucid narrator, intensely interested in playing the game and knowledgable (compared to many of the others) about some different ways of playing the game. Whether or not he is playng a good game is debatable - but from what I'm seeing, including the opening credits, the editors love Nick as a character on this game show.

For real? We see things differently. Nick in my view is getting a marvellous Survivor edit. It's an underdog triumphing edit. It's part of Survivor to... SURVIVE! And he's surviving the distrust and dislike of his orginial team and now the bulk of his new team - making it to the tribe swap.

He's also an interesting and lucid narrator, intensely interested in playing the game and knowledgable (compared to many of the others) about some different ways of playing the game. Whether or not he is playng a good game is debatable - but from what I'm seeing, including the opening credits, the editors love Nick as a character on this game show.

Yeh I said before he's giving them good confessionals (http://www.behindbigbrother.com/for...isode-6-discussion.54869/page-11#post-2304062), but I think their main storyline people are boring ones like Conner. Nick is getting more a 'villian' edit, even though I think others like Brooke are rather less likeable.

There are several people on this show (not just Barry) who do keep going on about being 'honest', whatever that means in Survivor. There was that guy who out of nowhere who was planning on evicting Craig, but otherwise gameplayers like Bianca have been sent packing on this so far.

I think the underdog one is more meant to be Kylie (though Nick has been up against it), but apart from finding the idol I don't see what kind of gameplay she has done. The tribe switch could have given her some chance to try something.

Last edited:
So in figuring this out, Tegan could have saved herself by voting for Nick. I'm a little stunned she didn't figure that out and I'm no longer sorry for her getting screwed over by the twist.

The outcome of that latest immunity challenge was decided before it even started. They may have well saved their strength and just conceded.

A shame that Tegan only really got any airtime on her boot episode. She seemed more worthy than that in the end as a player and as a speaker in her confessionals. And now she is starting an online exercise program, yeah like that's never been done before. LOL

I'm finding I can't stand a large number of these players. Flick, Brooke, Craig, Matt, Kat, Phoebe, you all can go home. The only positive outcome would be a Kate, Sam, Conner, Sue or Kylie win. Or Kristie (who I have to barrack for because of the sweep). I have to admit, a Nick win would be epic. Even though they are trying to spin him as some villain, his confessionals are good, and I can kind of relate to the way he's playing, which is with desperation. It's how it should be.

...hahaha!... he's hilarious!... how far did he go?... did he win it?... lol!... cheers.

No spoilers but he does play 3 times. The Tocantins version of Coach is the best.

I. LOVE. COACH! I miss him and his wonderful stories.
Good to see Coach love. Like Rose said, he played a few times. He was a big draw and the producers knew it . But like anything, the first time was the best. It was the only Coach focused youtube I could find other than complete episodes over an hour long and I wanted to give you a taste Mr Sticks. IMHO the tube barely captures the unrestrained genius of this character.
Amazonian Indian(!?) tribes were after his ass.....:eek:

Coach was good value, eh. So fun to laugh at, he always took himself so seriously. He's like Phillip, in terms of being memorable for the "wrong" (but right) reasons.

Still lamenting they never managed to find an Australian version of Fabio. He's my forever favourite, what a winner. A million bucks to spend on weed!

I'm finding I can't stand a large number of these players. Flick, Brooke, Craig, Matt, Kat, Phoebe, you all can go home. The only positive outcome would be a Kate, Sam, Conner, Sue or Kylie win.

I almost entirely agree with this, except I'd swap the two I've bolded.
As you say, a Nick win would be a great story arc, regardless of how irritating you find him (very, in my case).

I almost entirely agree with this, except I'd swap the two I've bolded.
As you say, a Nick win would be a great story arc, regardless of how irritating you find him (very, in my case).
I get the feeling that he talks as if he's talking to primary schoolers. Labouring his explanation as if we are simple.

I get the feeling that he talks as if he's talking to primary schoolers. Labouring his explanation as if we are simple.

Yes, and there's also the anger at being swapped out, wanting to destroy everyone on the other tribe. It's a game, they didn't vote him out because they hate him, there's no need to bring the anger and revenge.

This.

Back