Skip to main content

Episode Australian Survivor (2016) - Episode 6 Discussion

Remind me to tweet to Robhasapodcast that Craig is not pronounced "Creg" in Australia, it's pronounced "Crayg"

It's bizarre isn't it? They watch the show, but still somehow hear "Craig" as "Creg". I'd be inclined to address people by the name they use. Like in Melrose Place there was a "Creg", as well as a "Maygun" (Megan). If I was referring to them as real people I'd use the American pronunciation.

Like in Melrose Place there was a "Creg", as well as a "Maygun" (Megan).
LOL yes... ahh... memories, I loved that show :) I remember hearing them say Creg and wondering if it was Greg and then realising it really was Creg. As you say, it's respectful to pronounce it they way the person/their country does.

Any word about Andrew? He's my sweepstakes pick. He seems almost invisible.

Ok late to watch (+ reading so much replies..). my take on ep. 6:

Barry - he was always going to be sent home the minute they lost.
they didnt put him on the fire for nothing.
sidenote: HOW could they lose with 5 guys? maybe because it was 5 guys.. hmm.

Nick - has seen too much survivor strategy, wants to play everything he saw, and all
at once, and with everyone, and all the time. He "found a crack" in the tribe. The girls
already discuss him. Any loss, and he's the next to go, unless production pull another
"switch" stunt or whatever to keep him in longer.
from now, Nick is a verb for overplaying the game: "nicking".

Agony again proving their name, agonizingly coming second while Barry hufs and pufs
and blows himself and the fire out.
Lee - droolling at those closeups of physical perfection, shiny pecs and ceps. calling all
productions: please put Lee or a Lee in all RTV. Im a celebrity, Bachelor, Celeb Apprentice!

Superfan super paranoid Kristie is feeling confident in her tribe, yet still paranoid to
go about "nicking"at Phoeb's. Feeling confident in alliances is like the block couples
saying "everything is on track" right before trouble hits.
with that edit, you just know she'll be a goner in a few episodes.

Last edited:
Good immunity challenge, I'm glad they are mixing it up more now rather than just a bit of running followed by a puzzle.

Immediately the challenge was decided though I thought Barry was gone. He was in charge of both aligning the fire and keeping it burning it seemed. Plus he wasn't playing the game. He talked of tribal loyalty after being voted out, and maybe he would have never voted for his tribe members after a merge. But if he isn't playing the game then not making it random still would seem hypocritical. And his speech at tribal about the strategy of deciding who to vote out was even weirder coming from someone who said his strategy was to not play the game.

Earlier in the episode though the edit did give the suggestion of one of the swapped tribe members being in danger, so there was some tension in the storyline even though I had no shock at the result. However the suggestion that Craig could be a target came out of nowhere and didn't convince me at all, it's just not been part of the storyline. Preparing for something later in the season I guess, but inserting it at this point seemed forced. There was already enough in the Barry v Conner angle.

I'd be inclined to address people by the name they use. Like in Melrose Place there was a "Creg", as well as a "Maygun" (Megan). If I was referring to them as real people I'd use the American pronunciation.

I think that's fair enough, normally on the internet there isn't that problem it's just a matter of spelling something right. But podcasts will bring up these differences.

Americans I thought normally use long vowels, whereas in the UK short vowels are normally used. That's why Americans use a long 'o' with Colin, but apparently it's different with Craig.

Any word about Andrew? He's my sweepstakes pick. He seems almost invisible.

He's still very under the radar but he did feature tonight. In the leadup to tribal council he threw Craig's name into the mix, though he ended up voting Barry along with everyone else.

Americans I thought normally use long vowels, whereas in the UK short vowels are normally used.

If you think spelling names is dayum hard, try f. african american names on rtv..
like shawina, kayane, delyla, delphyne, keosha, liayne, lawryn, kamillah, lyesha

He's still very under the radar but he did feature tonight. In the leadup to tribal council he threw Craig's name into the mix, though he ended up voting Barry along with everyone else.
And possibly put a target on his back but might be the only one smart enough to realise that Sam and Connor are two very useful numbers now and it would only take convincing one more original tribe member to vote a certain way to cause a blindside.

The reaction of Aganoa today really backs up my comments last time about how unfair this twist was on them - they won what they thought was a crucial immunity channel and got nothing out of it at all. Yes, they came back in the end but they looked more deflated than ever during the Immunity Challenge - it wasn't enjoyable to watch. I'm really not sure how crucial this tribe swap was at this time either - think they should have waited a couple of weeks and just had one tribe disband into the two others instead. That achieves the same storylines - just with less shock I think.

Did we see anything from Tegan at all this episode - we saw how it screwed Sam over, saved Nick's game and gave Connor a temporary reprieve, but don't think the effect on Tegan was mentioned at all.

P.S. Still a shame not to see Australian networks use their digital channels for spin-off content. I know they do something on Eleven for I'm a Celeb so a half-hour follow up after each Tribal council revealing the votes in full and having an extended interview with the eliminee would be an easy extra 30 minutes of content.

Last edited:
I'm really not sure how crucial this tribe swap was at this time either - think they should have waited a couple of weeks and just had one tribe disband into the two others instead..

Obviously the production knew Nick would be voted out if his tribe lost.
The swap allowed them to keep him in the game.
They may go even further like help him win the immunity idol,
create some clue-to-idol event that makes other tribe members look bad,
find a reason to call it a non-elimination tribal council

dont underestimate the power of the production to keep in players,
they hold many wildcards like "too sick to stay" or "tribes merge" or
"secret tasks". I think they may have kept in des, if it wasnt
for him being the first eliminated, so they couldnt do much at that stage .

Last edited:
As I said on the previous thread I thought the swap was for Nick and Flick (funny how they rhyme), so they and their buddies could keep in and keep together. Turned out though that they are now on the same tribe. Nick is more appealing to me as the schemer compared to Flick because he seems quite loquacious and so the producers like to use him in confessionals. He comes across as arrogant, but that's his role. At least he's not boring and is playing the game.

Did we see anything from Tegan at all this episode - we saw how it screwed Sam over, saved Nick's game and gave Connor a temporary reprieve, but don't think the effect on Tegan was mentioned at all..

Yeah, we saw her being told by Nick she was his ally and blah blah, and then we saw her walking with Brooke and discussing Nick and each sharing with the other that Nick had come up to them (Brooke since he joined the tribe) and told them he had realised on the truck going out there they were the ones he wanted to work with and would be with at the end. So Brooke and Tegan had a laugh about Nick and his alliances, and you see the start of Tegan swinging over potentially to work with Brooke and hence Flick.

P.S. Still a shame not to see Australian networks use their digital channels for spin-off content. I know they do something on Eleven for I'm a Celeb so a half-hour follow up after each Tribal council revealing the votes in full and having an extended interview with the eliminee would be an easy extra 30 minutes of content.

It rated shitfully (and got horrid reviews etc), and can't see them inclined to repeat it for I'm a Celeb, let alone do it for this show.

They do have a three or so minute interview with each evictee on their top-rating talk and current affairs evening panel show, though.

YAS.

Send Barry and his hat home.

Sorry @el'coopo.

Get-Out-Girl.gif

If you think spelling names is dayum hard, try f. african american names on rtv..
like shawina, kayane, delyla, delphyne, keosha, liayne, lawryn, kamillah, lyesha
It's not the spelling of the words, it's the pronunciation, although in the written words, without being able to hear accents etc, spelling names as they sound if there is the chance of it being mispronounced might well be useful.

Last edited:
Barry reacts to being booted and predicts Kate will win the series.

Just as soon as they lance that enormous worrying boil...

I hate it when people get these injuries or infections. Last US Survivor screened knocked out three players from memory? with horrible infections like that. What a way to go.

Just as soon as they lance that enormous worrying boil...

I hate it when people get these injuries or infections. Last US Survivor screened knocked out three players from memory? with horrible infections like that. What a way to go.

Nope. Neal was the only one to be medevac'd from infection. But apparently there were a whole heap of the Brains tribe who got treated for staph infections after they were voted out. Liz (the quantitative analyst) had a huge chunk of her shoulder operated on and I think Peter had it pretty bad on his fingers too.

The other two removals were from heat stroke and severe constipation respectively.

Back