Skip to main content

2014 Ratings Thread

Ummmm, but but but -
How does that compare to "usual" Perth ratings for BB for a Wednesday?

And yeah, wasn't there a similar glitch this year for BB already?
OH OH OH. I just realise what happened.

It was on 9 in Perth but on Go! everywhere else. That's why it shows 0 for Perth. It wasn't on Go! In Perth.

There's an article in the Confidential section of today's Herald Sun newspaper:

HOUSEMATES MAY SIGN OFF

Big Brother is in its final week, and the big question is: Will it be back next year on Channel 9?

There is no doubt the ratings haven't been as strong as last year, but that doesn't mean it's the end of the franchise.

On Tuesday night, the show averaged 525,00 nationally, which aren't massive figures.

Host Sonia Krueger has done a great job as always, but there are a few things that have held it back this year.

The main thing is the fact that the show has screened much later than last year. The audience was strong when it screened at 7pm or in that hour, where A Current Affair is now, after the 6pm news went to one hour.

As well as the show screening later, it feels like the timeslot is all over the place. Does it start at 8:30pm, does it start at 8:40pm or even later?

Nine is yet to answer if next Wednesday's live final will be the last-ever episode on the network.

One thing in the show's favour is that for all the hours of weekly TV it produces, it's actually quite cheap to make. The Gold Coast home in the grounds of Dreamworld isn't going anywhere. It's used as a tourist attraction and for corporate retreats when the Big Brother show isn't filming.

As for the show itself, Melbourne could very well have the winner in 24-year-old Travud Lunardi. He is one of the hot favourites. Lunardi has had heaps of airtime thanks to his high energy - and, of-course, in traditional Big Brother style, his relationship in the house with fellow housemate Aisha McKinnon.​
@tedfthis - what do you make of this? Since you like to look at newspaper articles to get your understanding of ratings and how shows are chosen to be renewed.

@tedfthis - what do you make of this? Since you like to look at newspaper articles to get your understanding of ratings and how shows are chosen to be renewed.
There was a promo on I think the main BB site regarding talking of how on Monday they will bring back a lot of former HM's to talk of the past and also the "future" of BB, so my guess is that is a hint that it will be back.
I will try to find that article.

It's not Monday but during I think the Wednesday show.

Last edited:
Here it is.. Last section of the article in the link below.

"Alex tells us it’s not just 2014 that will get a look in though. “We’ll also look at highlights of past seasons of Big Brother and pay tribute to the format, seasons and personalities gone by.” But it’s not all reflection – Alex let us know a look to the future will also feature in the festivities."

[FONT=Lato, HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.9jumpin.com.au/show/bigbrother/2014/latest/day-73/a-finale-preview/
[/FONT]

"Alex tells us it’s not just 2014 that will get a look in though. “We’ll also look at highlights of past seasons of Big Brother and pay tribute to the format, seasons and personalities gone by.” But it’s not all reflection – Alex let us know a look to the future will also feature in the festivities."

[FONT=Lato, HelveticaNeue, 'Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]http://www.9jumpin.com.au/show/bigbrother/2014/latest/day-73/a-finale-preview/
[/FONT]
Hell yeah!

[/FONT]
GRETEL????

That is so weird - people really cannot find a double digit channel, or be bothered going beyond the known old school channels (or keep up with the schedule changes, or recall what was said about where it was on, or read a TV guide, and so on and so forth). Creatures of habit equals big ratings, I guess.

How sad - it really backs up why 9 did not put the show on at a regular time on Go!, though. (I hate writing that exclamation mark in, even though I love an exclamation mark.)

I do wonder how ratings would differ if the channel numbers were:
  • 90 GEM
  • 91 Nine [instead of 09]
  • 94 eXtra
  • 95 eXtra 2
  • 99 GO!
And for 7:
  • 71 7 Digital [instead of 07; old name, but that's what it is]
  • 72 7TWO
  • 73 7mate
  • 74 TV4ME
  • 78 Fresh Ideas TV
Etc, Etc. Basically ditch all the legacy numbers under 10. Even ABC ought to be on just 21, not 02. Surely that would alter ratings from the 'channel surfers'.

I do wonder how ratings would differ if the channel numbers were:
  • 90 GEM
  • 91 Nine [instead of 09]
  • 94 eXtra
  • 95 eXtra 2
  • 99 GO!
And for 7:
  • 71 7 Digital [instead of 07; old name, but that's what it is]
  • 72 7TWO
  • 73 7mate
  • 74 TV4ME
  • 78 Fresh Ideas TV
Etc, Etc. Basically ditch all the legacy numbers under 10. Even ABC ought to be on just 21, not 02. Surely that would alter ratings from the 'channel surfers'.
What a great idea !

"Did you get that Turnbull ?!"

I don't get it. Ratings simply don't add up to me. I live in Perth and yet last night even though I watched BB the ratings show a clean 0 for Perth. How is that?

I ask if there is anyone else here from WA or Perth who watched BB last night.

I know when it gives a figure of such and such a number of people watch a show you can't suggest that is a error, but when you know you watched it and yet the ratings show 0 for Perth, how do they calculate that?

In the other states (bar WA), BB was aired on GO!. So the figures are separate because it aired on 2 channels. The ratings provided are fore BB on GO!m given BB didn't air on GO! in Perth, the Perth figures is not included with the figures from the other capitals.

It seems that everyone has worked out the ratings queries without any input from me :)

In case there is still any query. The original numbers posted are correct and included the following note "All above incl GO! in four cities plus on ch 9 in Perth".

By that, I meant, the number watching on GO! (251,000) in four cities was added that to the number watching the main channel 9 in Perth (44,000) to get the total of 295,000.

I did the same thing for each demographic and worked out where BB would be ranked if the 2 numbers were added together in all people plus three demo groups.

OzTAM usually lists shows shown on different channels separately and if a program is not shown in a city it shows up in the list as 0.

Back