Skip to main content

2014 Ratings Thread

I don't expect this year's final to rate higher than 700-800k.

And so it was. The winner announced only got 737,000.

This seems like a good moment to mention yet again that a couple of years back Channel Ten cut to buggery and then rushed out the last eps of one of my favourite shows, and doomed it as a dog, because it only rated in the 700,000's - I Will Survive. God, I loved that show!

Wednesday, 26th November 2014 - Grand Finale

Overnight viewers:
Winner announced- 737,000
Grand Final - 693,000
Celebration - 662,000

How does that break down time wise? I've known Aussie shows to split the Winner announcement to try and create a fake peak rating, but what on earth was the "Celebration" bit?

And last years overnights - they've lost half the audience:

GRAND FINALE - WEDNESDAY, 6TH NOVEMBER 2013

CELEBRATION:

1,474,000 - #1 in total people.

#1 in all demos (25-54, 18-49 and 16-39).

WINNER ANNOUNCED:

1,398,000 - #2 in total people.

#2 in all demos (25-54, 18-49 and 16-39).

GRAND FINAL:

1,131,000 - #4 in total people.

#3 in all demos (25-54, 18-49 and 16-39).

How does that break down time wise? I've known Aussie shows to split the Winner announcement to try and create a fake peak rating, but what on earth was the "Celebration" bit?
The winner's announcement would be when the Travis was evicted. The celebration would have been the part after that.

Disastrous ratings. Barely acceptable for a regular show! Just showing how much people turned off this year, the ratings for the first Wednesday of this series were higher than the final - 715,000.

On the other hand:

Nine has also sent through some data on its digital results for this year’s season, which reminds us that Overnight figures are not always the full picture. That said, it will be a struggle to avoid being its lowest finale, especially up against the ARIAs.

Andrew Backwell, Nine’s Director of Programming and Production, said: “The show continues to deliver a targeted audience in a way that only the grand dame of reality TV can. We are happy with Big Brother’s results this year, and clearly the show’s reach on second screens is outstanding. Indeed, the 9Jumpin numbers far exceed the highest rating shows on Pay TV.”

Janeen Faithfull, CEO, Endemol Australia added, “Big Brother is the digital leader in the TV viewing experience, engaging, connecting and uniting its audiences by allowing constant integration, reaction and influence to its characters and stories as it plays out on air.

“No other television series fully integrates and connects the platforms to deliver record-breaking stats in audience reach and engagement.”

- Over 63 million page views
– Over 7 million long form streams on 9Jumpin
– Over 11 million visits to the Big Brother site
– Almost 1 million “Your Power” votes since series launch
– 857,186 Facebook fans
– 198,756 Twitter followers
– 98,400 Instagram followers

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/11/big-brother-favourites-phone-it-in-for-finale.html

Those digital numbers are ridiculous.

Most of those Facebook/Twitter likes etc were from 2012 - how many people have forgotten they even liked the page and don't even watch the show anymore?

Jumpin gets numbers because people can't keep up with the schedules.

11 millions hits to BB site - ok how's that in comparison to last year... or the Ten era? Significantly lower I imagine, given there is shit all on that site.

Well, they've got to talk it up. They're campaigning for renewal as much as anything. And they do have to take into account the completely changed TV landscape since the Ten era.

Terrible ratings, even considering the demographics. And I'm sorry but that "digital results" thing is a load of bullshit. They're talking it up, yeah, but much more than they really should be allowed to get away with. I mean, anyone praising absolutely anything to do with the Jump-In site needs to get their head checked. Integration my ass, to be quite honest. Their digital output this year couldn't have been more disconnected if they tried (although please don't let them try!). And to talk about all of this "engaging, connecting and uniting" crap is a laugh in what is going to go down as one of the least engaging seasons of Big Brother Australia (possibly worldwide, actually) ever.

Terrible ratings, even considering the demographics. And I'm sorry but that "digital results" thing is a load of bullshit. They're talking it up, yeah, but much more than they really should be allowed to get away with. I mean, anyone praising absolutely anything to do with the Jump-In site needs to get their head checked. Integration my ass, to be quite honest. Their digital output this year couldn't have been more disconnected if they tried (although please don't let them try!). And to talk about all of this "engaging, connecting and uniting" crap is a laugh in what is going to go down as one of the least engaging seasons of Big Brother Australia (possibly worldwide, actually) ever.

I think the politically correct term for bullshit, is spin :).

2012 Running Average: 1.04m
2013 Running Average: 0.89m
2014 Running Average: 0.65m

The ratings may be fine now but it they continue in this trend they'll be 400,000 next year. If they do renew the show they have to make some serious changes.

Big Brother finale tops demos -but can’t avoid new low.
By David Knox on November 27, 2014 / Filed Under News

At 11 seasons long, 3 of them on Nine, Big Brother fatigue saw the show’s grand final attract its LOWEST ever ratings.
Nine divided the show into 3 parts, with 737,000 for the moment Teflon was announced as winner followed by 693,000 / 662,000 for the bulk of the show in Preliminary numbers.

Comparatively they are half the numbers of the 2013 finale (Winner Announced: 1.4m / 1.47m / 1.31m), which aired an hour earlier and Live around the country.

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/11/big-brother-finale-tops-demos-but-cant-avoid-new-low.html

Asking for expressions of interest, doesn't mean Big Brother will be back next year. I haven't heard anyone say 2015 yet. People ought to be wise to the fact now, that the bulk of the selections of housemates ISN'T coming from auditions. If they (Ch9) are happy with this years ratings, we will be lucky to see it twice a week, IF its back next year.

I think it's clear that BB will deliver in the demos no matter what, so why don't they do what we keep telling them to do and the total will go up as well? Because now it's not just us, it's everyone!!! Everyone I know "oh I wish they showed more, I wish there was live feeds still, I wish they had the late night shows on". Comments on fb and Twitter and fan sites and overseas!
For gods sake how many people is it gunna take for 9 to do a bit of self regulation and make this stupid program great again!!!

I think it's clear that BB will deliver in the demos no matter what, so why don't they do what we keep telling them to do and the total will go up as well? Because now it's not just us, it's everyone!!! Everyone I know "oh I wish they showed more, I wish there was live feeds still, I wish they had the late night shows on". Comments on fb and Twitter and fan sites and overseas!
For gods sake how many people is it gunna take for 9 to do a bit of self regulation and make this stupid program great again!!!

Lmao there's a great promo for 2015 (or 2016) ;). "I think channel 9 should do a bit of self regulation and give this stupid incarnation of a programme the air-time it needs without all the censorship" - Faceless Critic. Or.... a John Howard impersonator. You choose. :laugh:

On the other hand:

Nine has also sent through some data on its digital results for this year’s season, which reminds us that Overnight figures are not always the full picture. That said, it will be a struggle to avoid being its lowest finale, especially up against the ARIAs.

Andrew Backwell, Nine’s Director of Programming and Production, said: “The show continues to deliver a targeted audience in a way that only the grand dame of reality TV can. We are happy with Big Brother’s results this year, and clearly the show’s reach on second screens is outstanding. Indeed, the 9Jumpin numbers far exceed the highest rating shows on Pay TV.”

Janeen Faithfull, CEO, Endemol Australia added, “Big Brother is the digital leader in the TV viewing experience, engaging, connecting and uniting its audiences by allowing constant integration, reaction and influence to its characters and stories as it plays out on air.

“No other television series fully integrates and connects the platforms to deliver record-breaking stats in audience reach and engagement.”

- Over 63 million page views
– Over 7 million long form streams on 9Jumpin
– Over 11 million visits to the Big Brother site
– Almost 1 million “Your Power” votes since series launch
– 857,186 Facebook fans
– 198,756 Twitter followers
– 98,400 Instagram followers

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/11/big-brother-favourites-phone-it-in-for-finale.html

There is no way at all you can spin losing half your viewers positively. Even if the demos are "good" they're still simply half of what they were just two years ago.

The digital stats aren't in any context too - did a bit of digging the other night and from the limited info available it's easy to see that the website is getting half the traffic it was two years ago as well.

Oi, you lot! I was just reporting what they said to David Knox, and he was just reporting what they said.

Personally, I hope they can spin a renewal of the show out of the Gynge as I don't really expect any other channel to pick it up, especially in the the state that it's been left.

Big Brother finale tops demos -but can’t avoid new low.

At 11 seasons long, 3 of them on Nine, Big Brother fatigue saw the show’s grand final attract its lowest ever ratings.

Nine divided the show into 3 parts, with 737,000 for the moment Ryan was announced as winner followed by 693,000 / 662,000 for the bulk of the show in Preliminary numbers.

Comparatively they are half the numbers of the 2013 finale (Winner Announced: 1.4m / 1.47m / 1.31m), which aired an hour earlier and Live around the country.

Nine’s decision to schedule the finale at 8:30pm in all states, instead of 7:30pm would have been a key factor as well as competition from the ARIA Awards.

But Big Brother won all the key demos, reiterating its deeper value even in the face of a sluggish season. Whether that’s enough for it to win a renewal remains to be seen, despite opening a registration of interest for future housemates.

Meanwhile the ARIA Awards also performed better with younger demos than it did in Total People (Red Carpet: 602,000 / Awards: 574,000).

In fact the 7:30 timeslot went begging last night -ABC’s 7:30 would have won if not for a 1 hour Home and Away.

Despite two big events, it was Seven that took the night in network share.

Seven network won with a 29.4% share then Nine 28.6%, TEN 19.3%, ABC 18.0% and SBS 4.7%.
Seven News (959,000 / 899,000) led for Seven then Home and Away (817,000), Criminal Minds (800,000 / 615,000), Air Rescue (591,000) and Million Dollar Minute (474,000). Grimm was 222,000.

Nine News (1.04m / 989,000) topped the night for Nine then A Current Affair (884,000). Big Brother was 737,000 / 693,000 / 662,000. Renters was 656,000, Neighbours at War was 632,000, The Big Bang Theory was 521,000 and Hot Seat was 519,000. Nine’s schedule ran late for the night meaning some numbers will be adjusted.

TEN Eyewitness News was best for TEN at 615,000. The ARIAs averaged 602,000 for the Red Carpet and 574,000 for the Awards show. The Project was 548,000 / 454,000.

ABC News (774,000) led for ABC then the season final of Mad as Hell (733,000), Media Circus (717,000), 7:30 (659,000), Home Delivery (494,000), Black Comedy (311,000) and a repeat of The Agony of Modern Manners (244,000).

On SBS ONE it was Wild Croatia (262,000), 24 Hours in Emergency (235,000) and SBS World News (116,000). Fargo was just 49,000.

Big Bang pulled a decent 350,000 on multichannels.

Sunrise: 385,000
Today: 315,000
ABC News Breakfast: 91,000 / 53,000

OzTAM Overnights: Wednesday 26 November 2014

http://www.tvtonight.com.au/2014/11/big-brother-finale-tops-demos-but-cant-avoid-new-low.html

Live around the country ... That is exactly the point. Half the country could not watch live. What messed up the voting as well. Therefore they did not even tune in, they just checked social media for the results.

And last years overnights - they've lost half the audience:

If they had built on what they created last year, instead of completely dismantling it, they would have done much better.

The list of things they did wrong is long and no point in repeating them.

Honestly, how many of us would have watched without this forum? Behind big brother kept many hard core fans watching. And they came very close to losing many of us.

Last year I couldn't wait for the fantastic show to return, next year I wont watch. If it's on, I will follow the forums. I plan to check in with the forum and the post show antics thread.

That's the thing - the cast as a whole was actually relatively strong, the house looked great and while not all of the twists worked they threw in more (most would say too many) than in previous years. Tasks were hit and miss but they always were.

The main thing letting it down was that the supply wasn't meeting the demand. Even forgetting about online clips and the live feed and just concentrating on the TV show as soon as the Friday and Sunday shows were dropped the ratings for what was left seemed to plummet as well. The trouble with Nine is they've looked at everything in isolation with no consideration to how one decision can impact on the whole show - Fridays and Sundays may have been rating lower than other nights but they're very much loss leaders and their presence ensured fans watched Monday to Thursday too. Get them out of the habit of watching on a Friday or a Sunday and they might find better things to do on a Monday or Tuesday as well.

I'm perplexed at how many said and still say the HMs were boring. With the tiny actual 2 second snippets or gallery images on the OS that I've seen, it would appear that there was a LOT more going on than we truly saw.

Reducing the amount of broadcast content hinders the show's attractiveness to viewers. I'm almost certain that Endemol/Alex realize this but NINE does NOT. :rage: :poop:

Back