Skip to main content

Last movie you saw

Re Avatar, it wasn't the worst movie ever but neither of us are into computer generated movies or cartoons, with the exceptions being genuine kids movies like Happy Feet, Chicken Run etc

Re Avatar, it wasn't the worst movie ever but neither of us are into computer generated movies or cartoons, with the exceptions being genuine kids movies like Happy Feet, Chicken Run etc

Oh OK .. I just thought maybe you had some intresting reason not to like it.

Technically I liked it, and kudos for the look and feel of the movie but the story really was kind of shit. It reminded me of Fern Gully, and I kept thinking "dances with smurfs" for no apparent reason.

But I did like some of the aircraft. Those helicopters would be wicked to fly.

I watched Flightplan with Jody Forster.
The plot was incredibly unbelievable, but Jody acted so well that it was actually very suspenseful.

And Twilight rates as one of the worse movies I've ever seen, almost as bad as Chariots of fire.

Last edited:
Bwahahahahahaha. Great subtitle for it. I really enjoyed it for the effects. The plot was silly.

It's a cross between the smurfs and fern gully.

UP on DVD. It was good but I don't get why people cried in it?

some of the comments on IMDB are hilarious like did the kid have down sydrome and why would an Asian be a scout instead of at home studying to be a doctor. haha

alot of people are thinking that avatar is a similar story to Pochahuntas? anyone seen both?

i loved it. seen it twice, will see it again. it wasnt that bad storyline as people think.

Except that Sam Worthington has two more facial expressions than Kevin Costner.

Dances with Smurfs was the name for it in a south park episode a few months back. Whole story with cartman, doing a glen beck impersonation accusing wending of attacking smurfs or something then at the end being pissed off james cameron made his story into a movie.

The similarity to Pochahuntas is that both films are based on the colonisation of the america's and one of those outsiders falling in love with a native, their culture and seeing the bad ways of his people in their actions. In the big world of hollywood there's only so many ways to do that. There's also a bunch of big differences.
It's really coming down to the people being hyper critical and nit picky on Avatar because it's a big expensive, successful film. Any of these films that have a grounding in actual history will be familiar. Also the familiarity is part of the not very subtly message of the film. The fact the bad humans are doing what humans have been doing all through history. Being made by an american film maker, based on the conquest of the americas.

When people say the plots silly, how's it more silly than any other film? Yeah it's a bit cringe worthy and cliched in parts, which lessons on a repeat viewing, but personally I found the film, the characters and the plot while not ground breaking, it was interesting and good enough. Better more coherent story than most summer blockbusters. Yeah bit simplistic, but the film would never of been made if it was really dark, twisted, daring or complex.

I don't quite get what is actually silly. Anyone care to point out?

The plot was incredibly unbelievable, but Jody acted so well that it was actually very suspenseful.

And Twilight rates as one of the worse movies I've ever seen, almost as bad as Chariots of fire.

Flightplan is insanely silly. Now there's a film with a silly plot and the pay off at the end makes it even worse.

You must be dead inside.

Up was a beautiful film. It should more depth, humanity and conveyed emotion and sympathy with the characters than the vast majority of all live action films.

George of the Jungle 2 is on 7Two right now. Avatar obviously stole it's story from it. :)

Oh no!! Here come the bulldozers! Can George and the animals save
the jungle?

I like Flightplan, even though it's all highly improbable...Especially that large space in the plane where the kid is stashed. Is that the front or back of the plane because it can't be the front where is the big radar dish in the nose cone? So they waste all this space at the rear it would seem to have two supercomputers, and lots of empty space... The computers I can understand, they control the plane and store all the onboard entertainment. But that vaccuous space left me wondering.

I think this was done prior to the A380 and you can tell they borrowed heavily from that real life aircraft.

Jodie Foster made this film likeable for me. She can make any film good.

It's a cross between the smurfs and fern gully.

some of the comments on IMDB are hilarious like did the kid have down sydrome and why would an Asian be a scout instead of at home studying to be a doctor. haha

I'm pretty much creeped out every time I see that animated kid on an ad or a poster or whatever.

I don't quite get what is actually silly. Anyone care to point out?
Well, what is silly:
- The overtly heartless human beings, especially Giovanni Ribisi's character and that Colonel. No shades at all.
- The convenient ways Jake manages to solve everything.
- The fact the avatar drivers seem to get by with virtually no sleep.

But, having said that, it was still enjoyable - but silly!

Well, what is silly:
- The overtly heartless human beings, especially Giovanni Ribisi's character and that Colonel. No shades at all.
- The convenient ways Jake manages to solve everything.
- The fact the avatar drivers seem to get by with virtually no sleep.

But, having said that, it was still enjoyable - but silly!

But that's exactly what and how humans colonising new land for wealth or any reason act. Even today our polies and the heartless way they will blow up and kill hundreds of thousands of iraqi's, destroying their country and claim they should be thankful and help them. Foriegn policy today is that poor countries should do whats in the best interest of us rich countries. Look at the policy of the USA in regards to the entire world basically for the last 60 years.
Yeah it's simplisticly handled, but there was in Giovanni Ribisi's character a conflict. He wanted to do the right thing, or best possible thing but end of the day he wasn't going to let not being able to do the right thing stop him from doing the wrong thing. The classic company man.

Nothing Jake does, solves is more silly than any other characters in blockbuster movies.

The avatar drivers sleep when the avatar sleeps. It shows them eating breakfast and stuff before hoping in, their bunks ect.

Up In the Air- George Clooney, two birds, Jason Bateman has a small role.

It was a good watch, a good film but not something I'd rave about like the critics (yawn). I'm a bit over all this moralising and sending subtle messages, it's all very preacherish. It's about work v. family and what will you regret on your death bed not working harder, or not spending more time with your family etc. The interesting twist wasn't really interesting, my 10 year old said "I think what's going to happen is..." and I said "I think that as well" and what do you know 10 minutes later we were right. Gotta love Clooney though, that smile *sigh*. It was a well acted and scripted movie, I don't think anyone would be disappointed with it but I hardly think it Oscar material like some critics are spouting.

Up In the Air- George Clooney, two birds, Jason Bateman has a small role.

It was a good watch, a good film but not something I'd rave about like the critics (yawn). I'm a bit over all this moralising and sending subtle messages, it's all very preacherish. It's about work v. family and what will you regret on your death bed not working harder, or not spending more time with your family etc. The interesting twist wasn't really interesting, my 10 year old said "I think what's going to happen is..." and I said "I think that as well" and what do you know 10 minutes later we were right. Gotta love Clooney though, that smile *sigh*. It was a well acted and scripted movie, I don't think anyone would be disappointed with it but I hardly think it Oscar material like some critics are spouting.

Thanks for that insight josephine......makes me think twice about seeing it now.........Cheers, mikidiki xx

Back