Skip to main content

Today I ........

Yesterday I ...
Found out I now have to have more eye surgery. After my retinal repair I have develloped a macular pucker from scar tissue from the last surgery.
So, I have another vitrectomy and the membrane shaved off on the14th December, and back to laying for 20 hours a day on my side for a week or so again.
This has been a terrible year!
That close to Christmas!

The eye is really a remarkable thing and a small error can have large impacts.

Will say a prayer for you! Hope the surgery is successful and recovery is quick.

This is my story of the last two months. Meet Nobby the street dog.

I had first spotted Nobby several months earlier, but didn't see him again until mid October. He had a big infected "thing" on his front right leg. It was infested with flies and oozing fluid. Not very nice at all.

1702715580961.png

So I took him to a vet here in Siem Reap who diagnosed it as a bone tumour. Unfortunately for Nobby this meant they would have to amputate his leg. He was treated for tickborne disease first, and as his blood improved, the tumour grew noticeably bigger in less than two weeks. Scary. Second pic here is of the tumour, don't click if you're squeamish. I'm still sparing you the worst from this angle.

1702715655143.png 1702715676747.png

So he had his surgery and the leg came off, and he's been there recovering until last week. He'd had some minor infections in the wound so they put him on ABs so he was there quite a bit longer than I'd initially expected.

1702715848567.png 1702715870341.png 1702715915985.png

Here he is back at my place, and getting along pretty well with Ruby (exchange of growls every now and then but overall this went wayyyyyyy better than I expected). So yes, it appears I now have two three-legged dogs. Still working on trimming his daggy fur.

1702715998765.png

…timmy… you break my heart with your kindness towards animals… you really do my friend… so you took it upon yourself to take a wandering stray dog to a vet to treat his wounds?… that would’ve cost a fair bit to get that done for a dog that you didn’t even own… did all the money come from your pocket timmy?… I’m assuming that it did… you are a beautiful and wonderful and a very kind human being my friend… it’s such a credit to you… you should be so proud of yourself… was it the same kind of thing for Ruby?… I imagine that it was… you’re a good man timmy… cheers.

…timmy… you break my heart with your kindness towards animals… you really do my friend… so you took it upon yourself to take a wandering stray dog to a vet to treat his wounds?… that would’ve cost a fair bit to get that done for a dog that you didn’t even own… did all the money come from your pocket timmy?… I’m assuming that it did… you are a beautiful and wonderful and a very kind human being my friend… it’s such a credit to you… you should be so proud of yourself… was it the same kind of thing for Ruby?… I imagine that it was… you’re a good man timmy… cheers.
Thanks Sticky. Luckily my finances these days can cover it. And the vet gave some significant discounts due to the circumstances, which was really good. There aren't any NGO vets who offer free treatment in Siem Reap like there are in Phnom Penh where two NGOs teamed up to help Ruby at an animal hospital for free. The bottom line was I couldn't just walk past him with that on his leg. My conscience wouldn't let me. I've been freaking out this whole time thinking Ruby might reject having him here. She's very picky about which dogs she chooses to associate with. But as luck would have it "tired old boys" is 100% her type, plus he also got castrated so she's been pretty chill with him. For the moment I put him outside at night and Ruby continues to sleep in the living room, just in case. He sleeps on her bed during the day and she gets it at night, so she is getting used to him that way. I picked up the materials to make him his own bed today and will get on to that tomoz. She needs a sidekick anyway. She's always been bored here with just me.

…maybe it finally fixing itself or getting it fixed can be a Christmas present for you Febs?… my god you’re having a bad run with that eye you poor sweet lady!… I really feel for you… I hope to hear some better news in the future… don’t lose heart… cheers. ❤️.

I've had the vitrectomy with a gas bubble, then a vitrectomy with an air and saline bubble, and now a vitrectomy with a silicone oil bubble which stays in for at least three months before it has to be removed surgically, the other two dissolve themselves in a week or two.
So. Day 2!

Back