Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

7 TRIES TO RIP OFF 10's HYBPA.....FAILS MISERABLY

Behave Yourself - sucks, glad i missed it
anie @stephsommers24
#BehaveYourselfAU is coming across as a failed attempt to replicate #HYBPA. It seems rehearsed and awkward (and there is no @MrSamPang)

9:17 PM - 4 Jul 2017

No positive reviews, huge fail, idiots have Shane Warne and sucky host, and no idea:)

Didn't see it. But I saw their failed attempt to rip off Spicks and Specks last year. That was awful too. Sounds like they learnt nothing.

Reactions: kxk
So many empty houses and so many needy people....there are several things they could implement...

All supermarkets on stand alone property, lots of those in the burbs - can be made to provide public housing
Investors from OS, if you buy property you can't just let it lay there empty, and the more investments in property you make the more you have to do something for that community - jobs etc, to invest you have to invest in community.

Tassie is doing great, experiments with community housing in small village like clusters.
We need different kinds of housing.

Have worked with homeless a bit, all have different stories. There are a lot of people who would be happier in country towns if they would try it, but tend to need services they are familiar with around inner cities.

One very sad story, a guy who used our services, and slept under a bridge, he had mental health issues - he had a really lovely family.
Family kept rescuing him,trying to help - and he would just return to his spot under that bridge, he preferred it.
Service checked on him regularly, and dropped off soup etc.
He died under that bridge

$28,000 for rehab.....OMG
There are some free rehabs, with huge waiting lists
If the drugs are illegal - then rehab should be compulsory for the government
And taxes on liquor & ciggies, and any drug money they get from prosecutions should go to rehabs

Watched it on demand over the weekend - was definitely worth watching.[DOUBLEPOST=1499674832][/DOUBLEPOST]
Favourite kind of REAL show on NOW,

Michael Mosley: Queen Victoria's Slum

'Welcome To The Slum'

SBS HD, 7:30pm, Tue, 4 Jul 2017, 60 minutes

ON NOW NEW SHOW

A group of modern Britons arrive to the slum, their home for the next four weeks. They expect it to be tough, but are shocked by the conditions. Their first task is to come to grips with the slum economy. Their main priority is keeping a roof over their heads, and that means earning money fast. Some of the men learn a skill; others chase a fast buck by venturing out of the slum in search of casual labour to be able to pay rent on Black Monday.

Series, United Kingdom, English, Documentary, Real Life, Historical
Is this worth watching?

Is this worth watching?

Yes, absolutely. Great TV. Entertaining and informative.
I love this kind of RTV. Historical live like another era. BBC did several a few years ago, the WWII one was the best, but all have been fascinating.
This one has Dr Moseley commenting on health and stuff, dirt poor, living from what they can scrape together - or you end up in the doss house, people lined up sleeping on their feet - with a rope to hang on/over, OMG never have I seen anything like it before....and I watch a lot of history stuff.

Yes, absolutely. Great TV. Entertaining and informative.
I love this kind of RTV. Historical live like another era. BBC did several a few years ago, the WWII one was the best, but all have been fascinating.
This one has Dr Moseley commenting on health and stuff, dirt poor, living from what they can scrape together - or you end up in the doss house, people lined up sleeping on their feet - with a rope to hang on/over, OMG never have I seen anything like it before....and I watch a lot of history stuff.
Thanks it is the kind of stuff that interests us as well! My husband mentioned it but we watch so little free to air tv we missed it!

2nd episode tonight @Isee ......seems things can get worse than........what looked like a road to mass suicide last week, life sure was "short & hard" (short and unbearable)

Michael Mosley: Queen Victoria's Slum

'The Long Depression'

SBS HD, 7:30pm, Tue, 11 Jul 2017, 60 minutes

NEW SHOW

Things go from bad to worse as Britain is gripped by an economic depression in the early 1880s. As unemployment jumps from two to 10 percent, some of the men find themselves out of work. The shortage work shortage in the slum is exacerbated by an influx of new immigrants: descendants of Jews from Russia and Eastern Europe and English workers from the countryside. Space is now at even more of a premium, and work is scarce, pushing up the rent and causing outrage. With hungry mouths to feed, some of the moms go in search of poverty relief - and encounter the little provisions available to Victorians in desperate straits. Qualifying for extra food and funds is hard, and their morals, parenting and housekeeping is questioned. The slum is reaching breaking point.

Series, United Kingdom, English, Documentary, Real Life, Historical

More Victorian era misery on NOW.....very interesting historical RTV

And this later looks interesting

Jungletown

'Welcome To The Jungle'

SBS VICELAND, 9:30pm, Tue, 18 Jul 2017, 50 minutes

NEW SHOW

Eighty interns say goodbye to their families and comfortable homes to descend into the jungle of Panama and build a makeshift town. It's the hardest semester in Kalu Yala's history, with the most rain and interns, putting a strain on this fragile community.

Ondi Timoner

Series, 2017, United States, English, Documentary, Real Life, Society & Culture

Who's watched the Handmaid's Tale? Really great show with superb cinematography and some intense acting. Looking forward to what happens next. It's available on SBS OnDemand for those who haven't seen it. Totally recommend you do.

I don't think I can stomach Handmaid's Tale....all the raping would do my head in

Victorian era misery is very interesting, no wonder most of them died between 28-40

I don't think I can stomach Handmaid's Tale....all the raping would do my head in

Victorian era misery is very interesting, no wonder most of them died between 28-40

Yeah I found I couldn't binge watch it as I usually would. Need a bit of a breather between episodes. I alternated between wanting to cut a bitch or cut myself. Worth it though.

Yeah it's very good, as is Elizabeth Moss. Initially I found some of the departures from the book a bit annoying, but I soon got past that. It'll be interesting to see what they do with season 2, as season 1 has basically covered the book.

The show isn't all bleak. At times you can get quite comfortable with it, then you get whipped back to the plain truth of the situation.

Probably my only criticism of it is with some of the musical selections. I couldn't figure out what they were doing with some of the song selections. They didn't even seem to make sense ironically.

Ooooooooooo looky what SBS has grabbed.........what FUN.....original camp BATMAN!!!!

Starts tomorrow night with 2 episodes, check a guide for more

Batman

'Hi Diddle Riddle'

SBS VICELAND, 6:35pm, Fri, 21 Jul 2017, 30 minutes

NEW SHOW

The arch-criminal's twisted trail leads Batman to break the law himself, fall before the criminal charms of Molly - the beautiful Molehill Mob moll - in a discotheque, and brings Robin into the master-fiend's evil clutches.

Directed by Lorenzo Semple Jr., William Dozier. Adam West, Burt Ward, Alan Napier

Series, United States, English, Action, Drama, Comedy

Who's watched the Handmaid's Tale? Really great show with superb cinematography and some intense acting. Looking forward to what happens next. It's available on SBS OnDemand for those who haven't seen it. Totally recommend you do.

I just finished watching it. Gosh, it is everything people are fighting against in the US with Trump. The parallels are surreal, even down to the Canada references. They aren't even playing up Canada, it is Canada.

Back tonight...

Catalyst

'Meet The Avatars'

ABC, 8:30pm, Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 60 minutes

NEW SHOW

In the series return of Catalyst, Biomedical engineer Dr Jordan Nguyen examines virtual reality & how it could transform the way we learn & travel. He also meets some of the most life-like avatars that scientists are creating

Series, Australia, English, Education, Science & Tech

Back tonight...

Catalyst

'Meet The Avatars'

ABC, 8:30pm, Tue, 15 Aug 2017, 60 minutes

NEW SHOW

In the series return of Catalyst, Biomedical engineer Dr Jordan Nguyen examines virtual reality & how it could transform the way we learn & travel. He also meets some of the most life-like avatars that scientists are creating

Series, Australia, English, Education, Science & Tech

...I recorded that kxk and have just finished watching it about 20 minutes ago lol!... what a great show!... and eerie too... Avatars are becoming so lifelike now aren't they?... I've got Catalyst on permanent record now thanks to you kxk... thanks!... cheers.

Back