Skip to main content

THE COUCH - TV Chat Thread

...I can't wait to watch this show coming onto Foxtel next Sunday... (not sure of when it will be on non-pay TV though)... it's called 'SS-GB"... it's about what Britain would've been like if the Germans had managed to actually invade Britain in WWII... it looks fascinating... here are some promo's of the show... cheers.

upload_2017-5-3_0-52-55.jpeg

upload_2017-5-3_0-51-1.jpeg

upload_2017-5-3_0-57-4.jpeg

Do you guys get Line of Duty? Easily the best UK series around at the moment and just finished it's fourth series tonight.

If you've not seen it but can get it on demand (ideally from the beginning, but you can pick it up from series 4) I highly recommend it. I usually can't stand police dramas but this is one of the best things on TV ever. I recommend though you just find it and watch it - start googling it and you're in for a spoiler fest, and it's the unexpected which is what makes the series so good.

There's 3 seasons on Netflix. I'll add it to the list.

Watching Love Child. I've seen every episode, but my interest is lagging a bit. There are some truly dreadful acting "performances" tonight.

Reactions: kxk
Much obliged mia distraught it has been making me insane !! still can't discover anything on it on the net. does anybody have a connection ?

This is awesome....watching right now....part 2, missed 1, will now go find it after this....I love David, and he is doing a great history tale about him, and about us

David Stratton's Stories Of Australian Cinema

'Outsiders'

ABC, 8:30pm, Tue, 13 Jun 2017, 60 minutes

ON NOW NEW SHOW

Part 2 celebrates the outsiders of Australian cinema: be it newcomers in They're A Weird Mob & Wake In Fright or locals out of step with the mainstream in Evil Angels, Muriel's Wedding & Priscilla.

Did anyone else see CHILDREN OF THE WIND ? Last night NITV, and available on SBS site.
Astonishing, blew me away - pun intended

Honestly, it is a rare beautiful gem, do not miss this. Gorgeous, poor kids - change the world of windsurfing forever.
Lived in WA windsurfers paradise for a bit - nobody can do what these stunning kids can do.

Like any really worthwhile sport tale, this is magical, what happens to the kids as they grow is something to make your soul happy.
I stumbled on this, and wow, stunned (funny cause the TV guide said it was about Arab horses!?! So wrong and so glad I took a peek)

Children of the Wind tells the story of the Bonaire windsurfers, a group of native kids, who under the remarkable mentorship of Elvis Martinus, founder of the Bonaire Aquaspeed windsurfing club, overcame insuperable odds to not only dominate an inherently elitist sport but to revolutionize it.

cotwawards.png

The film focuses on brothers Tonky and Taty Frans and their cousin Kiri who come from a poor fishing family and began windsurfing before the age of ten, using whatever broken or discarded equipment they could scrounge, and who are now, twenty years later, global superstars.
cotw-photo-boy-900x509.jpg

Tonky, Taty and Kiri burst onto the international scene in 2001 when, along with thirty or so other Bonaire sailors, they attended windsurfing’s North American Championship in Florida. Given the island’s economic status, just getting to Florida was an achievement in itself. Once there, they caused a sensation, taking home twenty trophies between them. Given that Bonaire has a population of under 15,000 and had, at the time, no way to fund formal training facilities, provide equipment or pay for travel to events, this accomplishment was simply astonishing.

The Frans brothers and Kiri are now among the top five freestyle windsurfers in the world and have become local heroes
on their island. More remarkable: Bonaire continues to produce young champions at every age category of the ProKids World Championship, which started on the island. Set against the backdrop of the 2011 Freestyle Windsurfing World Cup on Bonaire, ‘Children of the Wind’ is an exciting tale of kids who refused to be defined by the limits of their circumstance, and consequently transformed a sport.

Is anyone else watching Twin Peaks? That last episode may have been the weirdest hour of television I have ever seen. The only thing I can compare it to is the last phase of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Is anyone else watching Twin Peaks? That last episode may have been the weirdest hour of television I have ever seen. The only thing I can compare it to is the last phase of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

I am watching. I was thinking the entire episode the weirdness would end and we would get some sort of reveal that would help towards sense making- but no. I'm more invested than ever

I am watching. I was thinking the entire episode the weirdness would end and we would get some sort of reveal that would help towards sense making- but no. I'm more invested than ever

I'm guessing that girl must grow up to be someone we know. Maybe the boy and girl are Laura Palmer's parents?

Anyway I'm completely hooked on it. I just love Dougie for some reason. Once you give up any expectation of the show moving along at anything near the express pace shows do nowadays it's a lot of fun.

http%3A%2F%2Fo.aolcdn.com%2Fhss%2Fstorage%2Fmidas%2Fd2a2d1d9f7a0d3f1d9ddef11fefa3843%2F205421801%2Ffilthy-rich-and-homeless.jpg

The SBS Homeless docos finale tonight, followed by live discussion

I watched from 2nd episode, missed 1st, and it is really worth watching - for the real homeless people, and the 2 guys in check jackets, mostly.
Wilkins kid isn't as crap as I expected, Jeff Fenech's daughter on the left is rather fragile, and the woman on the right is rather mean

So many empty houses and so many needy people....there are several things they could implement...

All supermarkets on stand alone property, lots of those in the burbs - can be made to provide public housing
Investors from OS, if you buy property you can't just let it lay there empty, and the more investments in property you make the more you have to do something for that community - jobs etc, to invest you have to invest in community.

Tassie is doing great, experiments with community housing in small village like clusters.
We need different kinds of housing.

Have worked with homeless a bit, all have different stories. There are a lot of people who would be happier in country towns if they would try it, but tend to need services they are familiar with around inner cities.

One very sad story, a guy who used our services, and slept under a bridge, he had mental health issues - he had a really lovely family.
Family kept rescuing him,trying to help - and he would just return to his spot under that bridge, he preferred it.
Service checked on him regularly, and dropped off soup etc.
He died under that bridge

$28,000 for rehab.....OMG
There are some free rehabs, with huge waiting lists
If the drugs are illegal - then rehab should be compulsory for the government
And taxes on liquor & ciggies, and any drug money they get from prosecutions should go to rehabs

Watching this, very interesting....

Foreign Correspondent

'Special: Through American Eyes'

ABC NEWS, 6:00pm, Sun, 2 Jul 2017, 60 minutes

ON NOW REPEAT

ABC NEWS & The New York Times collaborate on this special as correspondent John Eligon examines the state of race relations in Australia through the fresh eyes of an American journalist.

Series, Australia, English, Current Affairs

Favourite kind of REAL show on NOW,

Michael Mosley: Queen Victoria's Slum

'Welcome To The Slum'

SBS HD, 7:30pm, Tue, 4 Jul 2017, 60 minutes

ON NOW NEW SHOW

A group of modern Britons arrive to the slum, their home for the next four weeks. They expect it to be tough, but are shocked by the conditions. Their first task is to come to grips with the slum economy. Their main priority is keeping a roof over their heads, and that means earning money fast. Some of the men learn a skill; others chase a fast buck by venturing out of the slum in search of casual labour to be able to pay rent on Black Monday.

Series, United Kingdom, English, Documentary, Real Life, Historical

Back