Skip to main content

The Block: Glasshouse

I've always thought this would probably be the case with all reality shows where a house/room has to be built on-screen.

Backyard Blitz, House Rules, Changing Rooms, etc... I think they're all made to look good on TV, especially within a short space of time, but in reality (no pun intended) they're actually not done properly at all. Kind of a catch-22.

Compare the builds on the time frame quick make-overs like The Block, House Rules etc, to the long-term builds that you see on shows like Grand Designs. I know where I'd spend my millions.

Hmm, there are all kinds of different 'builds' aren't there - and I too would avoid anything from a TV show rushed and pushed for budget.
Has been fascinating down our street last 6months, 2 constructions going on -
-at one end, architect designed house, they have spent almost a year building and refining
-at the other end, multiple dwellings, 3 I think, and they are very big and very nice, selling as high end dwellings,
but this lot went up in about 3months.
And anywhere asking more that a million, I want a pool.

Reactions: Jam
Hmm, there are all kinds of different 'builds' aren't there - and I too would avoid anything from a TV show rushed and pushed for budget.
Has been fascinating down our street last 6months, 2 constructions going on -
-at one end, architect designed house, they have spent almost a year building and refining
-at the other end, multiple dwellings, 3 I think, and they are very big and very nice, selling as high end dwellings,
but this lot went up in about 3months.
And anywhere asking more that a million, I want a pool.

Totally. I also think that there's a big difference between owner/builders and developers. One is undertaken with care and the other is built for a profit. That's not to say that developers are careless, but they don't live in their blocks of units. I live in a town house that was built by a developer some thirty years ago so it wasn't new when we moved in. It's lovely and I enjoy it, but whenever we change something in the garden we find builders rubble. It was a case of cutting corners and burying the evidence! No bodies yet, though.

Reactions: kxk
Yeah you are getting more bang for your buck usually when you buy a tradie's house - had a plumber's place in WA, best plumbing ever, fantastic shower.
My wish list would be a sparkie's or a cabinet maker's house - both very expensive and never possible to DIY.

Didn't realise that HBO had branched out into reality... GoT theme music, True Blood theme music, the Leftovers trailer song.

As for the rooms I loved Dee & Darren's study/flooring but loved Michael & Carlene's bedroom.

Didn't realise that HBO had branched out into reality... GoT theme music, True Blood theme music, the Leftovers trailer song.

As for the rooms I loved Dee & Darren's study/flooring but loved Michael & Carlene's bedroom.
Must of been a fire sale for the rights....

Maybe they will play the Neighbours and Home and Away theme music next episode?

Ha! Honestly it was a little disconcerting having the songs in there, and the whole GoT montage was just stupid so hopefully they don't do it again.

I always forget it's on at 6.30 sundays, and will be finishing cooking dinner then remember about 7 - an then have to settle for repeats, and watch some Grand Design instead.
Bum, was Jenna's bit really shitty and deserving 6's?
Did pain in the arse D get a win?
I can wait if you don't want to spoil here.

I think they were a bit rough with Chris & Jenna styling wise as I thought it was fine but I did think they shrunk the room putting the wall there. And yes Lil Bitch got a room win.

I think they were a bit rough with Chris & Jenna styling wise as I thought it was fine but I did think they shrunk the room putting the wall there. And yes Lil Bitch got a room win.
Chris and Jenna's room was shithouse. And D&D deserved the win. Good for them. There's an obvious slant in the editing of Dee, I don't think she's as bad as the editors/producers would have us believe.

Chris and Jenna's room was shithouse. And D&D deserved the win. Good for them. There's an obvious slant in the editing of Dee, I don't think she's as bad as the editors/producers would have us believe.

Yeah Dee really isn't that bad, in fact she can be pretty hilarious. They're obviously struggling to find a villain this season and Dee was the closest choice.

AND the Jolly Giant is gorgeous! I'd climb his bean stalk any day.

Ha! I hope his marriage is solid cos..

giphy.gif

Has their luck run out? The Block's Darren and Deanne take out top spot in the latest challenge as previous winners Chris and Jenna fall flat in last place

By Caitlin Jinks For Daily Mail Australia

It's been a crazy week for the Blockheads as they raced against time to complete not one but three spaces.

Working to deliver a second bedroom, a study and hallway, all five teams were feeling the heat on Sunday night's episode as they sacrificed their sleep and worked into the early hours of the morning.

And it looks like the pressure was too much for last week's winners Chris and Jenna, who were placed last with a measly score of nineteen out of thirty.

article-2727017-208AF29900000578-52_634x319.jpg

Winners: Darren and Deanne won the latest Block Glasshouse challenge on Sunday nights episode and pocketed $10,000 for future renovations

article-2727017-208AF1F900000578-570_634x320.jpg

Not an easy task: The couple had to compete a second bedroom, a study and hallway

article-2727017-208AF29D00000578-564_634x318.jpg

Sophisticated look: The duo from Melbourne presented an enticing bedroom, complete with a canopy style bed

But one couples loss is another couple's gain as Darren and Deanne took out the top spot and pocketed $10,000 for future renovations.

Ex-AFL footballer Darren and his wife Deanne were given a smaller study space compared to their neighbours but still managed to wow the judges with a simple, yet sophisticated look.

The couple showed off their sense of style with a floating desk accessorised with a lively plant and warm lantern light.

article-2727017-208AF05900000578-91_634x318.jpg

Out of luck: Quirky couple Chris and Jenna won the previous bathroom challenge but placed last this week with a low score of nineteen out of thirty

Continuing their winning streak the duo from Melbourne presented an enticing bedroom, complete with a canopy style bed.

Upon hearing the news of their win the two lovingly embraced in a sweet hug, relieved that their hard styling and planning had paid off.

After winning the last challenge with a perfect score for their bathroom, Chris and Jenna were on a high.

article-2727017-208AF13D00000578-690_634x319.jpg

Failing to impress: Their large bedroom featured multiple plants and timber shelves

article-2727017-208AF14100000578-436_634x314.jpg

Risky decision: The pair decided not to produce a study in favor of an attic

But their bubble soon burst after they were given a low score of nineteen, placing them last on the challenge board.

The Sydney duo failed to impress with their large bedroom which featured multiple plants and timber shelves.

'I can't believe this is the same couple that delivered that magnificent bathroom last week,' one of the judges disappointingly said.

Their decision not to produce a study in favor of an attic also hurt their score with the judges labelling the small upstairs space 'awful.'

article-2727017-208AF17900000578-17_634x322.jpg

Better luck next time: Newcastle contestants Max and Karstan also couldn't stand out with a modest score of twenty-one

article-2727017-208AF16D00000578-972_634x322.jpg

Lacking warmth: Their plain guest bedroom was described as 'cold' and featured little personality with white, grey and black colours

article-2727017-208AF16300000578-273_634x321.jpg

Plain walls: The less is more vibe also didn't pay off in their study as they used little furniture and failed to make the most of their large space

Max and Karstan also couldn't stand out amongst the rest with a modest score of twenty-one.

Their plain guest bedroom was described as 'cold' and featured little personality with white, grey and black colours.

The less is more vibe also didn't pay off in their study as they used little furniture and failed to make the most of their large space.

White walls left the room feeling bland with little colour helping the area stand out from the rest.

article-2727017-208AF1ED00000578-135_634x320.jpg

Runners up: Brothers Shannon and Simon tied with Michael and Carlene in second place with a score of twenty-seven

article-2727017-208AF1CA00000578-472_634x315.jpg

Bold and bright: The boys impressed the judges with 70's inspired colours and large storage space

article-2727017-208AF1E900000578-124_634x321.jpg

Unusual: An orange blanket helped the quirky bedroom stand out

Shannon and Simon had a rough week with late deliveries delaying plans but they remarkably made it through after working until the very last minute.

The brothers managed to deliver a polished product, tying with Michael and Carlene in second place with a score of twenty-seven.

Their guest bedroom impressed the judges with 70's inspired colours and large storage space while their quaint study made a mark with a skylight.

article-2727017-208AF08100000578-285_634x319.jpg

Room for improvement: Queensland couple Michael and Carlene also came in second place

article-2727017-208AF07100000578-912_634x317.jpg

Sweet dreams: Exposed brick and blue colours made the space appealing

article-2727017-208AF06100000578-569_634x320.jpg

Study time: A large white animal rug served as an eye-catching feature in the study

Also coming in at second place was Queensland couple Michael and Carlene who dazzled with their choices in lighting.

Brass pendant lights hung beside their big bed, highlighting the exposed brick in the room.

A day bed in the study left the small space feeling cosy and warm while a large white animal rug served as an eye-catching feature.

With another week done and dusted, sparks are set to fly in the next challenge with the master bedroom up next for completion.

The Block Glasshouse continues on Channel Nine on Monday at 7.30.

article-2727017-208AF28D00000578-795_634x318.jpg

Love the fact they're making the jury vote before they hear the judges scores. Much fairer IMO I hope they keep it.

Yes, indeedy! And at the risk of sounding repetitive, how gorgeous is Darren?

Very gorgeous?

Yes, indeedy.

At the risk of alienating some, I'm finding Jenna really irritating, but I'm warming to Dee. Lil Bitch is giving good viewing!

Back